Possibly the most important stat on Gase

More Cowbell

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

3-3 against the Pats. 

Bowles was 1-7. 

If we have a fair shot at beating the Pats, we have a real shot at the division.  

That has a **** ton more to do with Brady hating to play in Miami for some reason, Gase has zero responsibility for that 3-3 record.

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

That has a **** ton more to do with Brady hating to play in Miami for some reason, Gase has zero responsibility for that 3-3 record.

I'd also like to add that it gives credit to Gase for the miracle play that happened this year. No one should receive credit on a play like that, except for Bellichick putting Gronk on the field when the circumstances did not call for a Hail Mary.

5 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

2 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I'd also like to add that it gives credit to Gase for the miracle play that happened this year. No one should receive credit on a play like that, except for Bellichick putting Gronk on the field when the circumstances did not call for a Hail Mary.

And then top it all off with the fact that his record vs the Pats is actually 2-4. So that's one real win, and this year's fluke.

5 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Most important stat for Gase is a 20-6 record in one score games.

30th, 3rd, and 30th

The rank of strength of schedule of the dolphins the last 3 years. Not saying 20-6 isn't a good stat but I wouldn't say it is his most important given the quality of opponent.

18 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

That’s right. Everything sucks. Everyone sucks. Gase is awful. Blah blah blah. 

So Gases 3-3 record against the Pats- you watch any of those games? Could you tell us anything that happened besides a few highlights you may have saw?

My God, do some people realize how unintelligent their posts sound? This kind of thinking is why a lot of people talk crap at us Jets fans. Can’t blame them after reading that silly nonsense. Go call WFANs overnight with that stupidity. 

I was thinking about that specific play earlier today.

And my thought was - what would Bowles have done in that same situation?

And not once did I consider he'd do anything that led to a score.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Just now, jamesr said:

It's a small percentage play, unless there is a clear play that was drawn up then no credit should be given to any coach this happens to. MAYBE we give him credit for keeping it close enough to have a chance at a play like that but that's it.

48 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

3-3 against the Pats. 

Bowles was 1-7. 

If we have a fair shot at beating the Pats, we have a real shot at the division.  

Absolutely.

This point can NEVER be overstated, in fact it should be shouted from every rooftop.  Beating Belichick and going .500 against him with his Tannehill/Osweiller/Cutler QBs is incredible and Gase did just that.  Gase fought the Evil Empire to a draw while I personally always felt that the Bowles Jets shouldn't even bother suiting up to play New England.  The outcome wasn't just known in advance, the only question was how bad the beating was going to be.

Personally I think that if Gase had a 2nd year Darnold in Miami he makes the playoffs every single year going forward, and that is what I think will happen in NY.  The Jets were basically an 8-8 team THIS year (1st Miami game, Cleveland, Houston, Green Bay...ALL wins with ANY other coach), even with one of the worst coaches in NFL history.  Even with one of the worst GMs putting out his roster, and that was all because of Sam Darnold and the Jet D collapsing as it always did for 4 consecutive years.

Also, how much better is the D going to be?  I already know the O will.  No one talks about that...I think lots.  

22 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

It's a small percentage play, unless there is a clear play that was drawn up then no credit should be given to any coach this happens to. MAYBE we give him credit for keeping it close enough to have a chance at a play like that but that's it.

they did draw it up and practice it as well. 

Adam Gase players wouldn't pee on him if he was on fire.

So Gases 3-3 record against the Pats- you watch any of those games? Could you tell us anything that happened besides a few highlights you may have saw?
My God, do some people realize how unintelligent their posts sound? This kind of thinking is why a lot of people talk crap at us Jets fans. Can’t blame them after reading that silly nonsense. Go call WFANs overnight with that stupidity. 

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

1 minute ago, JETSfaninNE said:

they did draw it up and practice it as well. 

We'll have to agree to disagree. A play is only drawn up for the first 3-5 seconds after that it's complete luck and skill of players taking over. There are far too many variables to account for 11 players on defense, and their where-abouts 5 seconds into a play, to accurately map it out prior to the play happening. 

44 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Most important stat for Gase is a 20-6 record in one score games.

Kind of, but probably not in the way you think. Close games tend to be fairly random and extreme performance one way or the other tends to regress to the mean. Blowouts, on the other hand, are strongly correlated with team quality, and the more blowouts (one way or the other), the stronger the correlation. Under Gase, the Dolphins went 3-19 in games decided by more than 8 points.

35 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

First off Gase was 2-4 against the Patriots, not 3-3 like you are claiming. Secondly that means you are giving him credit for a miraculous lateral play. If Bellichick doesn't put Gronk on the field then Gase is 1-5 against the Patriots.

My God some people don't fact check before they post, this is why people think Jets fans are idiots.

Small percentage yes, but (in the words of Dumb and Dumber) "you're telling me there's a chance?".

I just couldn't see Bowles ever even considering that sort of play. Calling it, practicing it, whatever. He'd be in the press conference talking about "keeping it close", and crap like that.

I guess what I'm saying is, Gase at least tried to win, however long the odds.

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

He gets credit for being in position for them to pull a win out of their ass. How many times have the Pats won games with some stupid duck pass Brady throws up that a WR catches. I  can remember many of them against us. Do we take those wims away? Do we remove the pass that Eli threw and the guy caught against his helmet? It's  part of the game

25 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Teams play like crap in Miami because it's Miami and they spend Saturday night partying. Look at the home road splits. It's got nothing to do with gase

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

I was going to say this.  Miami is a wildcard on both ends.

Visiting teams get sucked into the trap.  I am going there on Sunday and looking forward to it.  It is a trap.

From Miami’s perspective, the players are completely corrupted.  Have the Dolphins been good since Liv opened?  I think it is very hard to maintain a disciplined NFL team in Miami.  

Why are folks so resistant to give this guy any credit whatsoever?  They hung around, kept it close and got a big play at the end.  As they say, luck is the residue of design.  He has a very impressive record in close games, which is a very good trait to have.  I'm guessing Bowles's record in close games is even worse than his record, generally.

30th, 3rd, and 30th

The rank of strength of schedule of the dolphins the last 3 years. Not saying 20-6 isn't a good stat but I wouldn't say it is his most important given the quality of opponent.

That's really reaching.  Did this guy steal your girlfriend?

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

Probably would have taken a knee, or punted.

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Gase was in Miami it wont happen here with the NY Jets he is going to win here. 

Honestly, what is the reason to think he'll all of a sudden become a great coach? He steadily the Dolphins steadily declined in record and offensive output.

Listen, I get the "let's be hopeful" and stop bashing the guy...I want him to win and I'll be on board with him - but that doesn't change the fact that this was a terrible hire.  Maybe it works out, I can imagine how but maybe it does...

But ownership and Mac made a horrible decision - based on any sense of this guy.  

My anger is toward ownership than to Gase himself.  I'm sure he tries and will do his best, but so far his best has been terrible.  Thinking he's just going to turn it around without a year or two to gain some perspective is foolish and shortsighted by ownership.

38 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

First off Gase was 2-4 against the Patriots, not 3-3 like you are claiming. Secondly that means you are giving him credit for a miraculous lateral play. If Bellichick doesn't put Gronk on the field then Gase is 1-5 against the Patriots.

My God some people don't fact check before they post, this is why people think Jets fans are idiots.

And if ifs and buts were candies and nuts we'd all have a wonderful Christmas.  Saying, "if something different had happened it would prove that he's really bad," doesn't really help your credibility all that much.

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Honestly, what is the reason to think he'll all of a sudden become a great coach? He steadily the Dolphins steadily declined in record and offensive output.

Listen, I get the "let's be hopeful" and stop bashing the guy...I want him to win and I'll be on board with him - but that doesn't change the fact that this was a terrible hire.  Maybe it works out, I can imagine how but maybe it does...

But ownership and Mac made a horrible decision - based on any sense of this guy.  

My anger is toward ownership than to Gase himself.  I'm sure he tries and will do his best, but so far his best has been terrible.  Thinking he's just going to turn it around without a year or two to gain some perspective is foolish and shortsighted by ownership.

Ownership will always get the blame for everything wrong here, winning changes all that. 

It's our time.

Gase will win here because of Sam Darnold. 

42 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

We'll have to agree to disagree. A play is only drawn up for the first 3-5 seconds after that it's complete luck and skill of players taking over. There are far too many variables to account for 11 players on defense, and their where-abouts 5 seconds into a play, to accurately map it out prior to the play happening. 

I don't  agree. Every play has a specific goal be it short yardage or a first down, even a TD. It has more to do with getting certain match ups and exploiting them than luck. Did you notice how Brady picked on Roberts or whatever the name of the DB we pit in for Tru. That was by design. They new by picking on him they would hit big palys. 

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Look at the QB's he had. Cutler was a horrible pickup. They couldn't  get rid of him fast enough in Denver and Chicago. Tanny was servicable but i read he was injured like 24 of 48 games when he was on the team, that meant Osweiler was playing as much as Tanny did. The fact he was even close to 500 with that is a miracle.  

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Look at the QB's he had. Cutler was a horrible pickup. They couldn't  get rid of him fast enough in Denver and Chicago. Tanny was servicable but i read he was injured like 24 of 48 games when he was on the team, that meant Osweiler was playing as much as Tanny did. The fact he was even close to 500 with that is a miracle.  

Sorry, I just don't buy it.  If he was this offensive mastermind than he would have found a way to produce an offense  better than 24th, 25th and 31st. 

Those are really ugly stats, especially for an offensive mastermind....If that's his strength, so maybe with Darnold we get to 15 or 16? is an offense in the bottom half of the league really why we're hiring him?

Archived