Who will be Sam's backup next season ?

Big Snell

With a new coach in place and a new offense , who do you guys think, or who might you want as Sam's backup next season ? Being that the Dolphins are tanking and probably move on from Tannyhill, does anyone here see a scenario where Tannyhill or Osweiuler will be brought in as a backup?  That is presuming that Josh Mc Cown retires.

I'd love to keep McCown. Well respected and high football IQ guy. He was great with Darnold. Has no visions of trying to sabotage him to help his own career. Can be decent if asked to fill in for a game or two. 

Not sure what else you would could ask for from a QB.

Plus I would expect them to keep Davis Webb around and if he can figure things out we could have him eventually step in as the backup.  Maybe he gets into a game. Looks good and we can swindle another team to give us a 3rd round pick for our backup scrubs. 

The way you guys talk about him here, he needs no backup, he can do it all himself :)

Actually you need a serviceable backup (see Nick Foles).  A vet who knows whatever offensive scheme that will be implemented this year could fit the bill,

Lots of interesting free agents:

Osweiler, Cassel, and Bridgewater come to mind, Maybe even bring back Fitz?

Of course you keep Webb as a project,

McCown? He kinda looked like he's about done.   

3 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

The way you guys talk about him here, he needs no backup, he can do it all himself :)

Actually you need a serviceable backup (see Nick Foles).  A vet who knows whatever offensive scheme that will be implemented this year could fit the bill,

Okay, so we need a backup who is a Super Bowl MVP.  Should be no problem.  Let's make the call...

directv-nfl-sunday-ticket-peyton-on-sunday-mornings-phone-call-large-7.jpg.762014cf0d8b050852a36ebed39f4063.jpg

18 minutes ago, varjet said:

Someone cheap and developmental.  Back up QB is not where we should be spending resources next year.  

Maybe the year after if we look like a contender. 

Tell that to Mac.   He sat on his hands while paying Fitz and McCiwn 10 mil and ignored the QB position 

57 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Depending on how Foles finishes, he probably gets a starting spot on some QB needy team next year.

Hopefully a raw but talented young rookie. I'm still all for the youth movement and I don't believe the Jets are going to be good enough next year where they will need an experienced veteran QC to pull them through some games en route to the playoffs while Darnold is hurt or out for whatever reason. 

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

My vote is Matt Schaub but I think we end up with Osweiler who would be fine as a backup

Is he still alive?    My vote is none of the above. Keep  Davis Webb as  a developmental project and see what shakes out in  free agency.  Hopefully someone with an arm that works.  Something  that neither Tannehill, Osweilller nor Schaub possess.

Archived