Simms on Gase and Bart on Bowles

k-met57

Did everyone else hear the line about Greg Williams secretly angling to grab the HC job if he were to be hired here? That was interesting to me. I would really love for a bad a$$ like Williams to be the DC here to go along side of Gase, but that comment should certainly raise some eyebrows.  Maybe that's why the hire seems to be slow moving after the initial report that it seemed like a done deal at 1 pm today. They could be sensing some stuff they don't like in that regard or something like that. 

Lots of confirmation about Bowles, but with more input like Bowles shutting down any reference to something which was done before he arrived. That's someone who is lacking self esteem. Happens all the time with newly promoted leadership types. Not good and rarely works. Bowles was stuck in a prison cell. His ideas weren't working but he could not allow any new ideas to penetrate into the system or it would feel like he was a failure. Tough place to live and all but guarantees the failure so feared.  That might be why Kacy Rodgers stuck around so long. Not many new and fresh ideas coming from him.  That's for sure. 

Did everyone else hear the line about Greg Williams secretly angling to grab the HC job if he were to be hired here? That was interesting to me. I would really love for a bad a$$ like Williams to be the DC here to go along side of Gase, but that comment should certainly raise some eyebrows.  Maybe that's why the hire seems to be slow moving after the initial report that it seemed like a done deal at 1 pm today. They could be sensing some stuff they don't like in that regard or something like that. 

Lots of confirmation about Bowles, but with more input like Bowles shutting down any reference to something which was done before he arrived. That's someone who is lacking self esteem. Happens all the time with newly promoted leadership types. Not good and rarely works. Bowles was stuck in a prison cell. His ideas weren't working but he could not allow any new ideas to penetrate into the system or it would feel like he was a failure. Tough place to live and all but guarantees the failure so feared.  That might be why Kacy Rodgers stuck around so long. Not many new and fresh ideas coming from him.  That's for sure. 

Todd Bowels embarrased himself and the organization and now he is gone.  I will never forget the epic fail in Miami a couple of years ago when we had the big lead in the 4th quarter.  I think Gase was on the winning side for that game.  I am sure he sent Todd a  Christmas card that year.  

3 hours ago, k-met57 said:

for some time i drank the cool aid....but i agree...with Rex u knew his downfall was the fact that he had no grasp on all the phases but the D would show up...with Bowles...its like guys showed up despite him. i literally cant pinpoint one guy who got better under him.

He's just an abysmal coach.  I know a lot of folks give him a hard time for his stoic nature, but it's really his inability to actually coach that bothers me.

One example: Competition.  Everything is competition.  

This works fine as a positional coach at DBs because you want players to have a chance.  You want them to excel at covering, because defense itself is reactive, especially for DBs,  You essentially cover a receiver (or an area) and you react to the offense.  

He put that same idea to everything when it came over, and it doesn't make sense.  

For example, he had the whole competition thing with Geno/Fitz when he first showed up.  The problem is that the offense is different for both of those players.  Fitzpatrick and Geno can both run basic forms of the same offense, but they have different strengths/weaknesses.  Fitzpatrick was a read at the line QB, who rarely got away from his first read.  His strength was that he could read the defense at the line well, his weakness was that if his read was wrong, he was screwed.  Combine that with low arm strength.  Geno wasn't adept at reading at the line, but  he had better physical tools.  

So for Fitzpatrick, you give him a basic set at the line of scrimmage, and you let him audible based on what he's seeing.  For Geno (or any young QB), you layer options into your play call, so if the defense fools you with one look, there is a secondary option that should work against such defense.  For example, a crossing route to beat man coverage, and a curl route to beat zone cover behind it, so the QB can read the coverage as play develops and have built in options.  

Instead, the Jets spent far too much time on a non existent competition at QB, when they really need to implement a system that is catered to the QB.  

It ties into the larger point in that, there isn't anything that helps players develop based on scheme.  It's essentially, this is the scheme, play in it.  So it's natural that many players won't reach their potential, because at some point physical and mental skills plateau.  He doesn't understand that he has to adjust to player weaknesses/strengths partially because that Arizona defense was a pre-made monster before he even arrived.  

In the video, they talk about the lack of adjustments, but it's pretty clear on game film that they just don't learn.  Rarely any adjustments.  

I agree, I can't think of many players that exceeded expectations under him.  More people deteriorated under him than anything.  Wilkerson (quite possibly the poster boy for being a leader under Rex) completely mailed it in after Bowles showed up.  Revis essentially did whatever, I have no idea what he was doing half the time, because it seemed contrary to what the rest of the defense was playing.  Sheldon fell apart.  

It was an abject failure.  I think there has been plenty of fodder about how Arizona was a top defense before he arrived, and didn't miss a beat after he left as well.  

He was the Defensive coordinator/secondary coach in Philly in 2012:

In 2011, the Philly defense was ranked 11th overall (same as 2010) with 10th against the pass in Football Outsiders.

In 2012, AFTER they went on a spending spree, the defense was ranked 26th overall, and 32nd (dead last) against the pass.  

in 2013, after they hired Chip Kelly (noted for terrible defenses) the defense improved to 23rd overall, and 25th against the pass.  

Bowles was the secondary coach in Miami from 2008 to 2011:

The pass rankings for Miami from Football Outsiders:

2005:  15th

2006:  12th

2007:  28th

2008:  15th

2009:  13th

2010:  22nd

2011:  13th

2012:  17th

2013:  12th

2014:  16th

All that averages out to 16.3 over 10 years.

Bowles years:  15.75 over 4 years.  

So basically the same pass defense rankings.  

He just doesn't add anything to a team. 

9 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

And yet, high school kids are not playing in the NFL. Weird.

That has nothing to do with whether or not an NFL player can grasp the concept.

You are generally a good poster. Your "call the good plays" routine is dumb.   

14 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

That has nothing to do with whether or not an NFL player can grasp the concept.

You are generally a good poster. Your "call the good plays" routine is dumb.   

Yes. On the subject of if NFL coaches should be teaching professionals basic concepts of football that are taught at the high school level, I'm the dumb one.

16 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Yes. On the subject of if NFL coaches should be teaching professionals basic concepts of football that are taught at the high school level, I'm the dumb one.

It's not about teaching the concept.  It's utilizing it.  It's utilized at all levels of football.  Todd Bowles apparently does not use it much.

Anyway, have a nice day.

18 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

It's not about teaching the concept.  It's utilizing it.  It's utilized at all levels of football.  Todd Bowles apparently does not use it much.

Anyway, have a nice day.

Poor tackling, running pass routs just two of the things lost around the league. Too think most players come into the league with those abilities and fundamentals is not accurate it’s the few. Most Defensive players have a blip in their bio pre draft will need work on  tecnnic same for Pass Recievers route running. Most young players rely on athleticism .

yes i heard the comment about Willimas and the HC..  but thats just rampant speculation. He was not mentioned in HC interviews other than the Browns.  I'd like the hire, for sure. And do not feel worried about that angle, buy what do I know?

BTW, STUPID football example was Lee.   Am sure Bart coulda broke down dozens and dozens of examples of Lee just being incompetent. Lee just takes himslef out of plays- result? We play 10 vs 11, thats not good.

5 hours ago, Bocajetfan said:

Poor tackling, running pass routs just two of the things lost around the league. Too think most players come into the league with those abilities and fundamentals is not accurate it’s the few. Most Defensive players have a blip in their bio pre draft will need work on  tecnnic same for Pass Recievers route running. Most young players rely on athleticism .

Lotta teaching to do in a limited amount of work time. When he had the veterans and they were able pound Ivory and the run game he fared better. Limited penalties also.

As time went on and the younger they got the worse it got. He just didn't get through it seems. Things were against him too, but he needed to go.

When they started beating themselves it collapsed quickly.

7 hours ago, roscoeword said:

Barts point about the Jets not having anyone on their staff who's capable of being an interim head coach is quite astute, and condemning of the staff Bowles put together. 

probably has something to do with the HC and GM both reporting into the owner....why would mr. Peanut hire coaches that could replace him...clearly he wasnt the most secure person.

Archived