Jets-Manish PR Machine Running at Full Steam

Green DNA

Lol.  One day after an article (not by Manish) about Jets fans being enraged over the Gase hire, we get the Manish article on why this is a brilliant hire (despite being universally panned by national talking heads) and then today the "Darnold loves the hire" puff piece by Manish.  It seems as if the Jets want the PR machine to go full blast before the official announcement.  Macc must have been begging Manish to sell this hire to the fans.  J-E-T-S Jets! Jets! Jets!  Gotta love em.

Wednesdays article:

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-sports-adam-gase-jets-coaching-hire-20190109-story.html

Thursday's article:

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-sports-adam-gase-dolphins-jets-coaching-search-20190109-story.html

Today's article:

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-sports-sam-darnold-adam-gase-jets-20190110-story.html

The hire has not been universally panned.

Some talking heads hate it, some are OK with it, some love it.

Kinda like the fans, in fact.

Bottom line: like all hires, no-one knows how this will work out.  Let's just watch and see.

1 minute ago, mrcoops said:

Bottom line: like all hires, no-one knows how this will work out.  Let's just watch and see.

Honestly, I don't think there was a single hire that all talking heads/fans would be behind.   Each one of them would instill some type of division.  Even McCarthy who likely would have been the more accepted choice by media and some fans.

8 minutes ago, Green DNA said:

Lol.  One day after an article (not by Manish) about Jets fans being enraged over the Gase hire, we get the Manish article on why this is a brilliant hire (despite being universally panned by national talking heads) and then today the "Darnold loves the hire" puff piece by Manish.  It seems as if the Jets want the PR machine to go full blast before the official announcement.  Macc must have been begging Manish to sell this hire to the fans.  J-E-T-S Jets! Jets! Jets!  Gotta love em.

Wednesdays article:

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-sports-adam-gase-jets-coaching-hire-20190109-story.html

Thursday's article:

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-sports-adam-gase-dolphins-jets-coaching-search-20190109-story.html

Today's article:

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-sports-sam-darnold-adam-gase-jets-20190110-story.html

What talking heads are you talking about? 

Colin Cowherd loved the hire. 

Tony Romo loved the hire. 

The guys on Pro Football talk loved the hire. 

Francessa liked the hire

Wait, do you actually think Joe Benigno is a NATIONAL talking head? Comical. 

12 minutes ago, Green DNA said:

Wednesdays article:

Thursday's article:

Today's article:

Agree with the general sentiment but would disagree that the move was universally panned outside of NY.  In fact, from what I've seen, the move was mostly positively reviewed.

Do you see Benigno mentioned in my post?  Didn't think so.  It's easy to cherry pick a couple of people that are in favor of the hire, but the vast majority are panning it.  BTW, Francessa said it was a head scratcher, but I would never pay much attention to that pompous blow hard, pro or con. 

3 minutes ago, Green DNA said:

Do you see Benigno mentioned in my post?  Didn't think so.  It's easy to cherry pick a couple of people that are in favor of the hire, but the vast majority are panning it.  BTW, Francessa said it was a head scratcher, but I would never pay much attention to that pompous blow hard, pro or con. 

So just name 4 or 5 National talk heads that panned the move. In before Stephen A Smith is now a trusted NFL National Talking head  

15 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I agree.  In fact, I am haring/reading more positives than negatives about Gase.  And TBH, last couple of days I heard/read more negatives than postives for McC.  And I wanted McC myself, so I was getting a little nervous.  Starting to come around on the Gase hire now.

29 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

the fans hate it. that’s what the team cares about. they think they can control perception through controlling/modeling the narrative via talking heads and media. they are probably right to an extent.

it’s definitely damage control PR

36 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Agree.

There was no slam-dunk coaching candidate out there.  There wasn't a no-brainer candidate. (Don't try to force feed me McCarthy as a no-risk guy).

The three biggest reasons I've heard people pan the hire are...

1. He was fired by a rival (that's a BS reason)

2. He had a losing record and bad offense (That's a fact.  It's also a fact that McCarthy had a losing record his past two seasons, Rhule has a career losing record, Kingsbury has a career losing record, LaFleur had the 27th ranked offense....yada yada yada)

3. He gets mixed reviews for how he communicated with players and media (If he gets guys to perform then it doesn't matter.  Bowles' press conferences were horrible.  Bowles' players seemed to love him and then they'd go out and give up 41 points to Matt Barkley and the Buffalo Bills.  I don't need a coach that's loved by his players.  I need a coach respected by his players.)

The three biggest reasons I've heard people love the hire are...

1. He has head coaching experience and won with bad QBs (13-11 with Tannehill starting) and won big with great QBs (coached Peyton Manning's best season)

2. He's no-nonsense and holds guys accountable (this will be a welcome change around here.  If pussies want to complain to ownership that he's too tough then let them.  No more penalties, no more end zone ass wipes.)

3. He's won in the AFCE.  5-5 vs. the Patriots, winning records over Jets and Bills and used Ryan Tannehill, Brock Osweiler and Matt Moore to do it.

ANY candidate hired by the Jets would be panned and ridiculed nationally....just for different reasons.  The ONE thing the Jets couldn't do was hire a guy not considered to be good for Darnold.  We HAD to get an offensive-minded guy with QB experience in here....All the other attributes (slightly below .500 as a HC, maybe not the best communicator) are things we can live with.  I don't need Mike McCarthy walking in here wearing a ring from 8 years ago to prove anything.  This isn't about what somebody won yesterday.  It's about what we're winning tomorrow.

34 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

What talking heads are you talking about? 

Colin Cowherd loved the hire. 

Tony Romo loved the hire. 

The guys on Pro Football talk loved the hire. 

Francessa liked the hire

Wait, do you actually think Joe Benigno is a NATIONAL talking head? Comical. 

This.

True football people seem to think very highly of the hire.  People who want to sell papers NEED this to be controversial.  Let's also remember, not everyone is a Jets fan....at least half the NY area supports another team.  Those fans buy/click articles as well and they are like moths to a flame whenever there's a headline that makes the Jets look stupid.

21 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Claiming the hire has been universally panned by national media is simply inaccurate. That has not been the case at all.

It's been pretty much universally panned by the fanbase, but that's something different all together.

I disagree on the media, flicking the channels I see a lot of panning of the hire, but that was not the initial point of the thread.  Maybe compared to some of the other hires it seems not as  bad. The point is that the Jets need to sell this to the fanbase and are using Manish to pump Gase up, that is undeniable.

2 minutes ago, Green DNA said:

Oh the irony!

Still waiting on that long list of National experts that have panned this hire........

I was able to name a couple like that liked it, so since you think it was UNIVERSALLY panned you likely have 20 or 30 that panned. Finding 5 should be easy!

While your busy finding all these National talking heads I found another that liked the move:

“I think they’re getting a heck of an offensive-minded guy,” former Panthers, Broncos and Bears coach John Fox said Thursday. “I think it’s a great matchup with Sam Darnold as far as being a young quarterback. Adam can help him fundamentally with mechanics as well as the system. He has good answers for what defenses do.”

45 minutes ago, Green DNA said:

Wednesdays article:

Thursday's article:

Today's article:

It has not been universally panned.  Four guys who know a bit about football say he is great.  Elway, Manning, Fox and Romo.  But how could they know more about football than the pundits on ESPN or NFL network.  And there are actually more guys who are pro this:  Ashlon Jefferies for one.  I am sure there are others

30 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Claiming the hire has been universally panned by national media is simply inaccurate. That has not been the case at all.

It's been pretty much universally panned by the fanbase, but that's something different all together.

Fake news!

8 minutes ago, Green DNA said:

I disagree on the media, flicking the channels I see a lot of panning of the hire, but that was not the initial point of the thread.  Maybe compared to some of the other hires it seems not as  bad. The point is that the Jets need to sell this to the fanbase and are using Manish to pump Gase up, that is undeniable.

Not for nothing but I don't think the Jets hired Gase and then thought, let's get Manish to put out a nice article. That'll settle the fan base down. The only thing the Jets PR did was made Sam Darnold available to speak with them. 

1 minute ago, MDL_JET said:

Not for nothing but I don't think the Jets hired Gase and then thought, let's get Manish to put out a nice article. That'll settle the fan base down. The only thing the Jets PR did was made Sam Darnold available to speak with them. 

Not to mention Manish was pretty on the anyone but McCarthy bandwagon since day 1. So Manish would have done the same if Rhule/Kingsbury/Gase were hired. 

And while I think it's comical to think the Jets listen to Manish, those who loved Marrone may see him back on the open market next year if he doesn't turn things around this coming year. Marrone, by the way, has a career record of 31-35

25 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I think it's more that the Jets (or more likely Macc) use Manish to sell positive PR to the fans and in return he gets access to scoops.  See his articles on Rhule, Klingsbury etc.  He was pumping them up out of nowhere and voila! the Jets announce that they are candidates after the articles.  Very fishy indeed.  Now, they see that most of the fans are upset (cannot list each fan by name, but that is the vibe) and Manish comes out with three articles fellating Gase.  Coincidence?  I think not.

Joe and Evan are f’ing buffoons, no better than Mehta just a different medium. 

This 48 hour tantrum they’re throwing is not in line with pretty much any Jets fan I know. 

I was not looking for Gase at all, but i don’t get this “disaster” angle the FAN is playing - what purpose does it serve? 

Gase is an NFL HC, not perfect, but has ability and experience. That’s fine w/ me. Bottom line is none of us were privy to the decision making process.

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

[OT]

Your sig is really awful.  Needs a re-design.  JMO  :cool:

My signature is sweet!  It's both retro and contemporary.  I hired a design firm to develop it and market-tested it for the past 24 hours with an 89% approval rating.

Or...I just found it on the internet and squeezed it down to hit Maxman's 200 pixel requirement. :P

Archived