Matt Rhule speaks as per Cimini.

joewilly12

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Rhule, and I understand his desire to pick the staff.  But I also understand the Jets ensuring that Darnold has a good coach given the lack of experience with Rhule in NFL.  If Rhule's option was Kevin Gilbride's son for OC, (TE coach for bears currently) as was rumored that may not have sufficed. 

After watching the sh-t show of a staff Bowles assembled here, I think Johnson had every right to question Rhule's proposed staff and nix any job offers if he wasn't satisfied.  I mean the dude had to carry Bowles for 5 extra weeks vs. firing him at the Bye because there was no one on Bowles' staff remotely capable of running the team as interim coach. 

Just now, Dinamite said:

I like Rhule, and I understand his desire to pick the staff.  But I also understand the Jets ensuring that Darnold has a good coach given the lack of experience with Rhule in NFL.  If Rhule's option was Kevin gilbrides son for OC, (TE coach for bears currently) as was rumored that may not have sufficed. 

Exactly. 

If you believe the reports about McCarthy, the Browns tried to force Kitchens on McCarthy. Unless you are Bellichick, it's pretty rare for a front office to give a new coach (especially a first time NFL coach) free reign to build his own staff.  

I'd like to also add that just because the Jets wanted input into Rhule's staff doesn't mean they made the same demands to McCarthy or Gase. I'm sure they have more trust in the candidates who have already filled out teams in the NFL than a guy who only spent 1 year in the league or a Kliff Kingsbury type. 

1 minute ago, section314 said:

If you are going to potentially hire a coach to run your entire team, but don't trust them to hire their own staff, then why are you talking to them in the first place?

That is a part of the process., whom will you hire and what are the qualifications.

It appeared that may have been a deal breaker. 

maybe with an experienced coach, they get that lee-way. A new coach, I can understand the Jets qualms.

I also get Rhule's perspective. 

There just wasn't a fit. Both move on.

Just now, section314 said:

If you are going to potentially hire a coach to run your entire team, but don't trust them to hire their own staff, then why are you talking to them in the first place?

They could have asked him who he was planning on bringing on-board at various positions...this seems very likely given the fact that word on the street was they had two conversations with him, the second coming right before the announcement that he was staying at Baylor. 

Interview 1: Jets super impressed, feel like they have their guy. They tell him he has a day or two to put together a list of coaching staff.

Interview 2: Rhule presents a list of who he called and said would be willing to come to NY with him. CJ/Macc not very impressed, they ask if they can use their connections to bring on Williams and they would like to keep Brent as ST coach. Rhule declines because he has never worked with either of those guys. 

Jets move on to backup candidate, Gase. 

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

If you are going to potentially hire a coach to run your entire team, but don't trust him to hire his own staff, then why are you talking to him in the first place?

Worried that he does not have the connections to the types of OC who could come in and hit the ground running and also have the "Cred" to help Sam grow as a player. I have no problem with the Jets wanting to make sure that the most important player in Franchise history doesn't get a coach from South Yuma State Junior College as an OC!

This is not rocket science!

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

That is a part of the process., whom will you hire and what are the qualifications.

It appeared that may have been a deal breaker. 

maybe with an experienced coach, they get that lee-way. A new coach, I can understand the Jets qualms.

I also get Rhule's perspective. 

There just wasn't a fit. Both move on.

Good points.  You agree to disagree and you part ways, it's called maturity.  Something society lacks

6 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Rhule will be a good coach in the league and somebody will get lucky to have him. Totally understand the Jets apprehension because we have everything riding on Darnold

3 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I like Rhule, and think he will be a good NFL coach.

But it didn't work out. The sides talked, couldn't agree on a way to work together, and went their separate ways. No harm done.

It seems like Rhule has his sh*t together and down the road will be an NFL coach. I can see both sides of it. Sounds like it was best to not get into this marriage , too much at stake.

34 minutes ago, Pac said:

2 crises averted thanks to Arizonas stupidity and Macc and CJ refusing to capitulate to Father Guido.

The Kingsbury hire is facing a little backlash here in AZ.  When asked about his Def Coordinator and, as Head Coach, what his defensive philosophy is he basically said that the GM is working on candidates for DC and we'll see what happens. (sweet jesus!!!)  No wonder Jamal Adams wanted this guy.  Jamal was going to run the defense if Kliff came here.  lol

He seems like the Rex Ryan of offense right now.  Kingsbury may not even know what rooms the defense is meeting in during the week.  Actually, at least Rex had some idea of what he wanted to do (ground and pound) even if he was largely ignorant of the offense.

33 minutes ago, section314 said:

If you are going to potentially hire a coach to run your entire team, but don't trust him to hire his own staff, then why are you talking to him in the first place?

the spin around here is dizzying. 

Apparently, the brain trust of Chris Johnson and Mac know more about assembling a staff than Matt Rhule.

Based on what? The defrosting and reintroduction of Jeremy Bates to modern society, a la Encino Man?  

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The Kingsbury hire is facing a little backlash here in AZ.  When asked about his Def Coordinator and, as Head Coach, what his defensive philosophy is he basically said that the GM is working on candidates for DC and we'll see what happens. (sweet jesus!!!)  No wonder Jamal Adams wanted this guy.  Jamal was going to run the defense if Kliff came here.  lol

He seems like the Rex Ryan of offense right now.  Kingsbury may not even know what rooms the defense is meeting in during the week.  Actually, at least Rex had some idea of what he wanted to do (ground and pound) even if he was largely ignorant of the offense.

everything you are saying about KK also applies to Adam Gase, except KK is new to the league 

Adam Gase is like Rex Ryan after he was fired from here and Buffalo hired him. 

neither guy will be all that involved with their D 

19 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So I wonder who Mac and Chirs will be picking for the oc and the dc and the special teams guy?

They'll work with Gase on that and I'm sure Gase already suggested candidates.  The problem with Rhule is that he doesn't have the extensive network that Gase has.  Rhule would have been reaching back to guys he likely knew on the Giants in 2012 to get some semblance of NFL experience on his coaching staff.

The Jets need to be good custodians of Sam Darnold's future.  Putting him in the hands of a guy who had a losing record in college, has one year of experience as the Vice Assistant to the Janitor of the Offensive Line with the NY Giants, and who likely wanted to bring in someone on offense with limited experience would have been a travesty.

I don't know if Gase is going to win a lot of games.  I don't know if his offense will be elite.  I do know that he's the least likely to f-up Darnold's development and likely the best equipped to get the most out of him.  If Darnold develops into a great QB on an otherwise bad team over the next two years then we fire Gase and hire a guy that doesn't have to be as much of a QB guru. 

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Apparently, the brain trust of Chris Johnson and Mac know more about assembling a staff than Matt Rhule.

Based on what? The defrosting and reintroduction of Jeremy Bates to modern society, a la Encino Man?  

Of course, he should have his proposal but there is no way Rhule has the credibility to demand that his choice be the one. If that's how he thinks, glad he did not get the job.

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

It was reported that CJ and Mac proposed Monken as OC, but Rhule wanted Kevin Gilbride Jr., the TE coach for the Bears who has never been an OC on any level.

You want Gilbride Jr. in charge of Darnold's development, something he's never done?  In fact, Rhule doesn't have any experience developing a QB on any level either.

So, in this instance, you think its wrong for the Jets to ask a coach (Rhule) who has never run an offense before to have an experienced OC rather than someone who has never been an OC before in Gildbride, Jr.?

4 minutes ago, SMC said:

It was reported that CJ and Mac proposed Monken as OC, but Rhule wanted Kevin Gilbride Jr., the TE coach for the Bears who has never been an OC on any level.

You want Gilbride Jr. in charge of Darnold's development, something he's never done?  In fact, Rhule doesn't have any experience developing a QB on any level either.

So, in this instance, you think its wrong for the Jets to ask a coach (Rhule) who has never run an offense before to have an experienced OC rather than someone who has never been an OC before in Gildbride, Jr.?

In this instance I'd trust Matt Rhule to turn this program around. As long as it's not Gilbride SR we all could fall in line (just like we are doing for Gase) and maybe they find an actual QB coach (for a change) 

if they hired Rhule-Gilbride and Chad Pennington to develop Darnold the fans would love it

instead they hired Gase the fans revolted now they are looking at Big name DCs like Williams to smooth it out  

Side note I'm not a huge subscriber of the HC has to call the plays in the game and also do all the other HC jobs at once. Rhule could have turned this thing around they decided they knew better.

The worst part of the Johnsons is they think they know better. And who are they taking advice from? Mac

Other owners don't know football they stay out of the way, these guys want to make an impact. Shoot man i don't sit here trying to invent the Q tip again. Everyone should stick to their core competencies. the Johnson's know nothing about football and think they know everything that's the worst problem with the NY Jets.  

Just now, Philc1 said:

How did this midget suddenly become a hot commodity?  One ok season at friggin Baylor?

He did make a very dormant Temple program relevant. That is difficult to do.

I believe he will have a successful coaching career in the NFL, if he has the right situation, and if that is what he chooses to do.

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

He did make a very dormant Temple program relevant. That is difficult to do.

I believe he will have a successful coaching career in the NFL, if he has the right situation, and if that is what he chooses to do.

So if doing ok, not great with a bottomfeeder D1 program is the new criteria then let’s hire Greg Schiano

All I can say is that I don't know how, the Almighty had enough or whatever but the Jets dodged a bullet with this guy.  It is unbelievable crazy the two clowns who stated at the beginning that they were  looking for someone who had experience with young QB and an offensive genius somehow had this guy ahead of McCarthy.  I seen crazy thing during the hiring process but this is probably the craziest. 

5 minutes ago, Jethead said:

Of course, he should have his proposal but there is no way Rhule has the credibility to demand that his choice be the one. If that's how he thinks, glad he did not get the job.

Time will tell if Matt Rhule is a better football coach than Adam Gase but  the reason you bring in either of these guys is because you trust their judgment

Adam Gase isn't more trustworthy than Rhule he just cares less or is willing to accept more restrictions. That's not the sign he was the better candidate

this whole staff thing covers up the real problem the Jets never wanted to buy Rhule out of his old contract. So they made it about the staff. But when the smoke clears Adam Gase will be about the 29th highest paid HC in the NFL, just like Bowles was 

Archived