prime21

Gregg Williams close to signing as DC

Just now, Legend Killa7 said:

My God!  so we might get an official announcement that Gase has signed Williams as DC before we even get official announcement that Gase is HC???

Only the NYJ baby!!

No 

The deal for gase was finalized yesterday 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

By Scott Patsko, cleveland.com

1. A slice of Buddy Ryan

You will hear Ryan mentioned a lot now that Williams is with the Browns. He has described his defense as taking what Ryan built with the 46 defense, and built off it.

When Williams became Jeff Fisher's defensive coordinator, Fisher wanted him to create a hybrid.

"I took George Allen, I took Buddy Ryan, I took Dick LeBeau. I took Bud Carson. I put them all together and now it's kind of a Gregg Williams way that we do things," Williams told NFL Network in 2016. "But there's more Buddy Ryan in everything I do defensively, schematically, than anything."

Here's Williams talking with NFL Network about how he has been influenced by Ryan.

2. Linebackers and safeties must adapt

A key to Williams' defense is having linebackers and safeties that can audible the defensive call to the offensive formation.

Perhaps the hiring of Williams makes extending the contract of linebacker Jamie Collins even more of a priority. Browns coaches raved this season about Collins' football IQ. It might also mean the Browns look for an experienced safety in free agency to lead the largely inexperienced group it had in 2016.

In St. Louis, Williams had linebacker James Laurinaitis handling audibles on the field.

"I tell everyone all the time when they ask what defense we're playing, we're playing the defense James calls, not what I call," Williams told therams.com in 2015.

That quote is from the video below. It's six minutes well spent if you want to learn the basics of the 4-3 defense and gain some insight into how Williams runs it.

3. Players need a notebook

Matt Bowen was a safety for Williams in Washington. In 2013, as an NFL writer for Bleacher Report, Bowen provided an insider's guide to Williams' defense.

According to Bowen, Browns defensive players had better be ready to take notes, because Williams' defense is complex.

"His meetings reminded me of college-level courses that combined chalkboard sessions with film work. I still have the notebooks from my time in Washington, and they are filled with concepts, blitzes, coverages and so on," Bowen wrote. "The meetings were no joke, and we were tested every day when the film started rolling. Williams had no problem putting you on the spot to answer questions, identify concepts or offensive schemes."

4. Always in attack mode

The signature of a Williams defense is that it's always attacking. Expect the Browns to blitz a lot. After the Rams hired Williams in 2014, NFLcom writer Bucky Brooks wrote that former players raved about his aggressive nature.

"On passing downs, Williams certainly isn't afraid to mix in a variety of blitzes from exotic looks - including some Okie fronts (3-4 or nickel 3-3 packages) - as well as the standard 4-2-5 nickel front," Brooks wrote. "He will order up Cover 0 all-out blitzes in any area of the field, which makes him the ultimate gambler as a play-caller."

However, as Bowen pointed out on Bleacher Report, this can be Williams' downfall. "Blitz too much and you can hang your defensive backs out to dry with no help anywhere on the field," Bowen wrote.

5. Scheme to his players' strengths

Browns head coach Hue Jackson mentioned on Sunday that Williams always gets the most out of his players. In some ways, he is similar to Jackson when it comes to versatility and creativity. When the Rams hired Williams, ESPN's Jeff Triplett wrote about his creative use of safety Roman Harper.

"One example that stands out most was the way he made safety Roman Harper into a two-time Pro Bowler by using him as a frequent blitzer and pseudo-linebacker," Triplett wrote. "Williams would also mix and match between a 4-3 and 3-4. His most famous example (of creativity) was the Super Bowl win over Indianapolis and Peyton Manning when he had different plans for the first half, the third quarter and the fourth quarter."

Love it, especially the last part

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

These agent leaks get so tiring 

Can't wait to have the full staff in place officially 

10 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I'm sure this has been labored over in the thread, but the move to a 4-3... too little too late? 4 years ago, absolutely... but do we have a true 4-3 Ends right now? Bosa and Allen (especially) aren't great ends and worse 4-3 OLBs. 

The article I quoted says he designs the defense around the players and plays both base defenses

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, NJ said:

love it if it were true - but why would he come here?

Help turn the jets into winners and then get another HC job 

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

i'm trying to picture who our mike is in Greg's scheme... Wlliamson, i guess? 

Leo/Anderson/Shepherd/Jenkins?.  (..Kaufusi?)

Lee/Williamson/Copeland?

It's amazing actually when you think about it, not only was entire D roster poor fit for 3-4... BUT ALSO somehow a 4-3 as well

How the fck pull that off?!?!

They were playing a pretty good amount of 2-4-5 last season. I forgot what it's called 

If they do hire Williams he is known to design the defense around the players 

2 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

I have no patience. What the **** is taking so long???

If there was an actual offer his agent is shopping it looking for a better deal

19 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

O.K. I misspoke then. I was thinking about the old draft format.

We can easily trade back in round 1 for additional picks in rounds 1 through 4.

We all on the same page now??

Nope 

The 3rd pick is really expensive and there isn't a player worth trading up for. With Flacco and other QBs available it's going to be a very different dynamic 

You can't trade 3 2nds and then take less the next year 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, greenwave81 said:

LOL...

All it's gonna take is one QB hungry team to want Haskins or whoever is the QB flavor of the month, and a trade becomes possible.   I see like at least 5 teams in the top 15 that are probably in the market for a QB.  There may even be an unexpected defensive player at 3 left for us that some other team really covets...Maybe, just maybe, Macc and Gase's team building philosophy really will be primarily concerned with surrounding Sam with talent on the O side as soon as possible and trade out in that case.  Who knows.

And what you gave up last year to move up has little bearing as to what you should get this year in a trade.  Every trade is it's own entity and either worth it to you or not.

I would love to trade back and get picks and offense 

This draft is not a good draft for that 

If the eagles put a QB on the market we may not see a QB drafted in the top 15 

We have a long way to go but I don't see why a GM would feel like he has to come all the way up to 3 based on current draft order 

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

Gimme this and Boyer and I'll be happy. 

Still not sure on Baggins...

I looked up the halfling and his career is spotty. I'm a Homer and always look for the positive 

With this guy? 

I got nothing lol

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

The NYG (6), JAX(7) and DEN(10) all want a QB.  Other than Foles, all the FA QBs are nothing more than placeholders, and I can't see any that would preclude a team from the above list from both signing one for a short term deal AND drafting a guy for long-term.  MIA (13) and WASH (15) need QBs too.

Being there are so few potential top of the draft QBs plays against the Jets to some degree I'd agree...and I doubt you're gonna see a trade deal pre-draft like the NYJ pulled off with IND last year where there were more top of the draft QBs likely to still be available at 3.

But on draft day, it's going to be a game of chicken for the QB needy teams if no one trades up to 1 or 2, and the cost to trade to 3 might just be palatable to get the QB you want depending on who is interested in him.

I hope Haskins, Lock and Jones light up the combine.

Giants are still iffy and Flacco is 100% available, Harbaugh addressed it directly

If all the QBs light up the combine there is even less reason to trade up 

Gruden is in the cat bird seat and that will impact the jets directly 

Ed Oliver could also give the jets reason to stick 

So close is a relative term apparently

22 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Jets are close to winning a Super Bowl

I'm close to starting that diet 😂

• Haha 2

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company