Gregg Williams close to signing as DC

prime21

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Larz said:

They were playing a pretty good amount of 2-4-5 last season. I forgot what it's called 

If they do hire Williams he is known to design the defense around the players 

Form of Standard Nickle

3 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

not sure why you are talking about players that were cut or released or let go via FA. I was simply talking about having a competent HC and the chance we might have more talent than you think. I feel if we actually do Hire Greg Williams you will see a much bigger impact on the defensive side of the ball than we have seen the last 4 years. We can revisit this mid season next year :)

The why should be obvious.

If the problem is coaching, we should see significant improvement from players who were burdened by our historically incompetent coaching staffs.

If you can't point to them, then the evidence suggests the players were just bad.

27 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Awful hire if it happens. Gase and Williams are two coaches with big egos and reputations, but lousy coaches. 

Browns were too talented to be ranked 28th in defense.

I think it's fair to say that jury is still out on Gase; the 2019 season will tell us a lot about him, by how the team responds to him and by how Darnold continues to develop;

Greg Williams however is an exceptional Defensive Coordinator with a proven track record and superbowl ring to show for it.

Williams would be an excellent get for the Jets - switching back to a 4-3 would not be a very big deal in my opinion.

Also, don't overlook the fact that Williams led the Browns to a 5-3 record as the interim HC over their last 8 games. That would give Gase someone else with head coaching experience right there on the sidelines with him to use as sounding board should he so choose to. That's a nice resource to have if needed.

I've seen this guy behind the scenes when the Browns were on Hard Knocks and he's a dick...having said that, I would love this hire.  I don't know if any of you have been in the military, but the DI's I learned the most from were "dicks"...guys that get in your face, that will embarrass you in front of everyone else...perfect.  You learn from guys like this.  When I had jungle training back in the day, the DI's were constantly in your face day and night...HIRE THE DICK!

1 minute ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I think it's fair to say that jury is still out on Gase; the 2019 season will tell us a lot about by how the team responds to him and how Darnold continues to develop;

Greg Williams however is an exceptional Defensive Coordinator with a proven track record and superbowl ring to show for it.

Williams would be an excellent get for the Jets - switching back to a 4-3 would not be a very big deal in my opinion.

It could be a big deal but for the fact that we have 50 free agents.

We have no edge defenders or a NT. We do have a press corner and a Will LB. 

9 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

It could be a big deal but for the fact that we have 50 free agents.

We have no edge defenders or a NT. We do have a press corner and a Will LB. 

That can all be addressed this off-season with the CAP space we have; trade down in the draft and we could easily pick up 2 or 3 more day 1 draft picks.  We have more than enough resources to find the missing pieces to field an effective 4-3. And McClendon could play NT quite easily IMO as could Pennell, Sheperd & Fatukasi.

48 minutes ago, Paradis said:

i'm trying to picture who our mike is in Greg's scheme... Wlliamson, i guess? 

Leo/Anderson/Shepherd/Jenkins?.  (..Kaufusi?)

Lee/Williamson/Copeland?

It's amazing actually when you think about it, not only was entire D roster poor fit for 3-4... BUT ALSO somehow a 4-3 as well

How the fck pull that off?!?!

Dee Ford.... 

God, I would hate working for a loud a$$hole like that, I really would.

I didn't see Hard Knocks though - does it show moments where he's laughing and getting along with the players, too?

Yelling works to an extent, but some players just tune that sh*t out after a while, too. Anyone concerned with that, or is his track record just too good? (Seems that it is.)

DC

18 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

After the way this team laid down numerous times under Bowles, this is just the kind of prick we need to run the defense.

That's absolutely what has been missing from the Jets sideline for far too long now - and that is exactly what this team needs.....I'm all in on Greg Williams for the Jets DC.

15 minutes ago, Dcronin said:

Yelling works to an extent, but some players just tune that sh*t out after a while...

Yellin AT someone, or yelling instructions are not the same...

if your doing your job well being yelled at doesnt often apply and anyone that cant hack that once in a while doesnt deserve to be making what these guys are making...

3 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

That's absolutely what this team needs right now.....I'm all in on Greg Williams for the Jets DC.

It’s a cycle.  A more laidback coach inevitably gets taken advantage of by the players who say they like the coach.  They swear up and down how much they want the coach to stay, and the coach protects their jobs.   But to play this game players need to literally kill themselves.  Eventually you get a Defense like the Jets played for Bowles and Kacy, and the coaches get fired.  

The owner then brings in a hard nosed coaching staff.  Team immediately gets better.  But eventually the teams grows tired of it, and if the roster is not constructed correctly, the team quits and the coaches get fired. Like Gase just did. 

So in a perfect world you figure out the balance like Parcells and Bellichick did.  Otherwise you bounce from Edwards to Mancini to Rex to Bowles to Gase to....

31 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

That can all be addressed this off-season with the CAP space we have; trade down in the draft and we could easily pick up 2 or 3 more day 1 draft picks.  We have more than enough resources to find the missing pieces to field an effective 4-3. And McClendon could play NT quite easily IMO as could Pennell, Sheperd & Fatukasi.

2 or 3 1st round picks? How far are we trading back?

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

It's amazing actually when you think about it, not only was entire D roster poor fit for 3-4... BUT ALSO somehow a 4-3 as well

How the fck pull that off?!?!

It is an impressive feat if I do say so myself. todd* almost had to try to do so intentionally. Unless you're telling me a coach* who reports directly to the owners* had all these players thrown upon him* unwillingly yet he* was the one* who was s! canned.

Archived