Gregg Williams close to signing as DC

prime21

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Ahh.. gotcha’. Just worded it a little weird. 

For sure though. He’ll be a great thing for us. We have pieces on defense.

Just being my sarcastic self ?

Fingers crossed Williams is in. Always liked him. Parcells and Westhof said things like that. It's very entertaining. Especially compared to the mundane Bowles. I feel that rubbed off on the players... His personality

"He doesn’t play defense. He attacks the offense.”

Gotta think a dude like Jamal Adams is quite the draw for a DC like Williams.

Adams is to Williams as Darnold is to Gase.

Sam + Adams = Not quite President; more like a brewery 

9 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Just being my sarcastic self ?

Fingers crossed Williams is in. Always liked him. Parcells and Westhof said things like that. It's very entertaining. Especially compared to the mundane Bowles. I feel that rubbed off on the players... His personality

I think with a guy like Williams who draws up great schemes, any guy like that really, you can really do a lot with a defense like ours. Our defense wasn’t being used correctly. Bowles, for whatever reason, would play press man corners 10 yards back. Williams will take our pieces and use them correctly and he will light a fire under their asses.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I think with a guy like Williams who draws up great schemes, any guy like that really, you can really do a lot with a defense like ours. Our defense wasn’t being used correctly. Bowles, for whatever reason, would play press man corners 10 yards back. Williams will take our pieces and use them correctly and he will light a fire under their asses.

Bowles coaches football how people use to drive in the 1930s..

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

Ian Rappaport said that they have an agreement but nothing will be official until Williams and Gase chat face to face. Said Williams wants the Jets job and Gase wants Williams.

That’s because it’s a perfect fit. Both are arrogant  nut jobs and Gase thinks defense is having to punt on 4th and 5 from his own 45.

2 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

If it was official it would be all over twiiter. Unfortunately what you heard was still from the Ian Rappaport tweet. I will be pissed if he doesn't sign. This Laconfora tweet right after Ian Rappaport has me worried.

The guys on CBS Sports radio were pretty clear and used the word official. 

sh*t. Now I’m nervous. Chris Johnson better pay up and bring out the green cup cakes. 

10 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

The guys on CBS Sports radio were pretty clear and used the word official. 

sh*t. Now I’m nervous. Chris Johnson better pay up and bring out the green cup cakes. 

Knock on wood. Gonna be bummed now if we don't get him.

7 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

I've seen this guy behind the scenes when the Browns were on Hard Knocks and he's a dick...having said that, I would love this hire.  I don't know if any of you have been in the military, but the DI's I learned the most from were "dicks"...guys that get in your face, that will embarrass you in front of everyone else...perfect.  You learn from guys like this.  When I had jungle training back in the day, the DI's were constantly in your face day and night...HIRE THE DICK!

Dicks in your face night and day in the military. Sounds about right.

1 hour ago, Vader said:

"He doesn’t play defense. He attacks the offense.”

Gotta think a dude like Jamal Adams is quite the draw for a DC like Williams.

Adams is to Williams as Darnold is to Gase.

Sam + Adams = Not quite President; more like a brewery 

Bro, you need to copyright that Sam & Adams sh*t for T shirts. Jets are gonna blow up in the next 2 years. There'll be a market. Noice. 

4 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

You don't read very well....I didn't say trade back for 2 or 3 1st round picks and I said trade back for 2 or 3 additional day 1 Picks.

My reading is just fine. Before you reply with a wise ass remark, how about you learn a thing about the draft. The only picks on day 1 are the first round. Therefore, "2 or 3 day 1 picks" would be 2 or 3 first round picks. 

Is your reading good enough to follow that? 

22 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Bro, you need to copyright that Sam & Adams sh*t for T shirts. Jets are gonna blow up in the next 2 years. There'll be a market. Noice. 

chowdery vibe. it’s kind of a NE troll piece potential  

I really want the hire but I am extremely concerned because the Jets with Mac never ever are linked to the high profile personal wise and then win it.

Never.... And that is a little scary when we are in the NY/NJ market...

So I will wait to ink is to paper.....

The plain fact is Mac up until now has been a ineffectual, scared and weak GM..... period...

Let's Go Jets!

22 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

I thought we were "close" "nearing a deal" with him? Is that not the case?

Ian Rappaport made an assumption and used the word on the verge. Everyone else who tried to confirm only got he is on their short list. Then came the news he hasn't even interviewed with the team. Knowing how much of a hard ass Greg Williams is It would not be surprising if he bails after meeting Gase since he has other offers. Will not be assured until tweets come out saying he will sign vs its looking like its headed that way.

If we lose out on Greg Williams, I wouldn't mind getting Jack Del Rio. He worked with Gase in Denver during the 2013 and 2014 seasons, when Gase was the Broncos offensive coordinator. Jack Del Rio's defenses finished in the top 3 in yards three out of four seasons he was a DC, and the top 5 in points two out of four seasons. He only had one down year as a defensive coordinator, and that was 2013, the year the Broncos went to the Super Bowl XVLIII.

Defe Defe Defe
Year Tm Role Yds Pts TkA
2014 DEN DC 3 16 14
2013 DEN DC 19 22 16
2012 DEN DC 2 4 16
2002 CAR DC 2 5 7

This is the good hire if it happens. He doesn't take sh*t from his players which we haven't had since I guess Parcels? I was like 12 at the time so I don't know. Our players have always seemed like overrated assholes to me. I don't mind if you're obnoxious in the way Jamal is, but go back it up. I hate people like Richardson and we let too many guys like him grow an ego here with no consequence. 

Rex and Herm refused to really discipline anyone. Mangini was done after the Jets became Brett Favre's team and if Bowles replaced my alarm clock I wouldn't get up in the morning

13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'd be much happier with this DC hiring if we didn't have such a hard-a$$ as the head coach.

The best hard-a$$ DC's work best with HC's that are level-headed.  Almost like a good cop/bad cop routine. 

These 2 guys are gonna be in the locker room like "MURDER EVERYONE!!!"  "YES MURDER AND BLOOD!!!"  There needs to be a chill factor somewhere. 

NO CHILL ...Kill

5 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

My reading is just fine. Before you reply with a wise ass remark, how about you learn a thing about the draft. The only picks on day 1 are the first round. Therefore, "2 or 3 day 1 picks" would be 2 or 3 first round picks. 

Is your reading good enough to follow that? 

Keep playing on the computer keyboard in your mothers basement jerkoff.

11 hours ago, southtown24th said:

I know this guy because of his personality, his controversies and just that he is another a$$hole.

With that being said, is he really that great of a DC?  I saw the stats and it seems there are some mixed results.  Besides him being a complete dickhead, why do people love him/why is he a great hire?

He just seems like an old school coach. If you take plays off, he’s going to get in your face and tell you to man the **** up. I’m sick of watching our overpaid CB not being able to cover 2nd strong receivers on top of being late to meetings AND I am definitely sick of Leonard Williams’ fat ass. 

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

He just seems like an old school coach. If you take plays off, he’s going to get in your face and tell you to man the **** up. I’m sick of watching our overpaid CB not being able to cover 2nd strong receivers on top of being late to meetings AND I am definitely sick of Leonard Williams’ fat ass. 

Leonard Williams might be one of the leanest 300 pounders in the league

14 hours ago, Vader said:

would love to grab Sheldon Richardson back on the cheap and run him at gap penetrating DT

He is a FA and I believe he will be coming from a 4-3 defense in a Minnesota. He has turned into a push the pocket guy, not a big play guy. Still useful for the right price. 

7 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Did you see the quotes from Tru , he loves Williams , played for him with the Rams. 

Johnson was inexplicably misused in Bowles system. If Williams is hired Tru will turn back into that aggressive press corner he was prior to coming here.

Archived