prime21

Gregg Williams close to signing as DC

Rate this topic

I like the hire if it happens, but hearing Gase and Williams haven’t met yet is a head scratcher. Between that and the rumors that Rhule and McCarthy were leery of ownership wanting too much say in the hiring of staff, what’s going on there????

1 hour ago, docdhc said:

Gase may not want a guy as independent as Williams. 

I think that’s exactly what Gase wants. He wants someone so good at defense and has the years under his belt that Gase won’t even have to worry about Defense. He can hand the keys over to Gregg so he can do his thing on offense.

8 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I think that’s exactly what Gase wants. He wants someone so good at defense and has the years under his belt that Gase won’t even have to worry about Defense. He can hand the keys over to Gregg so he can do his thing on offense.

That is pretty much the way I see it.  If it gets done. 

18 page thread on a guy we are "moving" towards hiring.  This board will be in complete meltdown (again) if he goes elsewhere.  Another 600,000 page views for Maxman.

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

That is pretty much the way I see it.  If it gets done. 

18 page thread on a guy we are "moving" towards hiring.  This board will be in complete meltdown (again) if he goes elsewhere.  Another 600,000 page views for Maxman.

Lol tell me about. Some people are talking like he’s already signed. It’s going to be a repeat of Wednesday night if these guys are let down lmao

For those questioning annoucements, the Gase hire is all over the front page of the official NY Jets webste https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/joe-namath-on-adam-gase-he-s-going-to-build-a-winner 

nice to finally see him in Jets gear (even if photoshopped) - the fish hat was annoying

7 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Lol tell me about. Some people are talking like he’s already signed. It’s going to be a repeat of Wednesday night if these guys are let down lmao

Yup.  I am hoping it gets done -- I think Williams is the kind of experienced DC that a guy like Gase cold Use.  Take full control of the defense and let Gase, the OC and QB coach work with Sam and the offense.

But given the two personalities involved, this could implode spectaularly and quickly if Williams and Gase clash.  I am optimistic it can work, but it would be risky.  No matter what happens, this team would be infinitiely more interesting to watch and to follow than they were under Bowles.

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Nothing yet? 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/while-redskins-hold-still-todd-bowles-gregg-williams-and-steve-wilks-all-got-new-jobs

From 6 am today which means it was written yesterday or earlier. I keep looking for info but Florham Park has been pretty quiet lately

18 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yup.  I am hoping it gets done -- I think Williams is the kind of experienced DC that a guy like Gase cold Use.  Take full control of the defense and let Gase, the OC and QB coach work with Sam and the offense.

But given the two personalities involved, this could implode spectaularly and quickly if Williams and Gase clash.  I am optimistic it can work, but it would be risky.  No matter what happens, this team would be infinitiely more interesting to watch and to follow than they were under Bowles.

This is essentially where I am. Hoping it works, scared of the self-implosion, yet hoping it gets done.

Just now, neckdemon said:

starting to think this won't happen. the jets always know how to drive a stake into your hopes

Give it until later today-into tomorrow before we start thinking that. Jets, reportedly, want Gregg all along. I’m sure they are in talks with him.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Agree. I remember one thing Dolphins fans would bitch about was Gase wouldn’t even be watching his defense when they were out there.  He’d be on the bench looking at his tablet or photos of the offense getting ready for the next series.

33 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/while-redskins-hold-still-todd-bowles-gregg-williams-and-steve-wilks-all-got-new-jobs

From 6 am today which means it was written yesterday or earlier. I keep looking for info but Florham Park has been pretty quiet lately

Maybe the writer jumped the gun and didn’t read where it said he was in talks with NYJ? Idk 

15 hours ago, southtown24th said:

I know this guy because of his personality, his controversies and just that he is another a$$hole.

With that being said, is he really that great of a DC?  I saw the stats and it seems there are some mixed results.  Besides him being a complete dickhead, why do people love him/why is he a great hire?

Unfortunately these days are gone, but this is in his blood.

Football is still kill or be killed.

The Jets need to get this done,I think every Jets fan is going to feel much better about the Gase hire, once this is done. How many teams will be able to claim they have a offensive HC and a defensive HC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Buddy and Mike, thought they would do that with Rex.

22 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Haven't seen the uniforms.  They aren't  Green?

Who knows. It just feels like if we got these two coaches, black would be fitting. 

8 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Who knows. It just feels like if we got these two coaches, black would be fitting. 

Whatever they are it sure would help if Williams is in the picture. Fingers crossed.

Even though I don’t like Gregg Williams’ personality, I do like the idea of Gase hiring a guy to take care of the defense by himself.  Let Gase focus on coaching up Darnold and the designing the offense.  I’d be fine with this for a couple of seasons until Sam is firmly pointed in the right direction.  Then maybe Gase can start to get more involved in the defense.  

Really seems that Woody and Chris are control freaks.  They don't want to give the decision making authority that coaches need to do their job, yet they want to the coach to be accountable for results.  This is BS, I would never want to work for these guys.  Sell the team.  This from a former supporter.

3 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Gase + Gregg + all-Black new unis...

This team will definitely have a new identity. 

If we can add some talent on both sides of the ball and with a last place schedule coming up . Next year could be pretty fun .  But it’s up to Mac from here.