Gregg Williams close to signing as DC

prime21

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By Scott Patsko, cleveland.com

1. A slice of Buddy Ryan

You will hear Ryan mentioned a lot now that Williams is with the Browns. He has described his defense as taking what Ryan built with the 46 defense, and built off it.

When Williams became Jeff Fisher's defensive coordinator, Fisher wanted him to create a hybrid.

"I took George Allen, I took Buddy Ryan, I took Dick LeBeau. I took Bud Carson. I put them all together and now it's kind of a Gregg Williams way that we do things," Williams told NFL Network in 2016. "But there's more Buddy Ryan in everything I do defensively, schematically, than anything."

Here's Williams talking with NFL Network about how he has been influenced by Ryan.

2. Linebackers and safeties must adapt

A key to Williams' defense is having linebackers and safeties that can audible the defensive call to the offensive formation.

Perhaps the hiring of Williams makes extending the contract of linebacker Jamie Collins even more of a priority. Browns coaches raved this season about Collins' football IQ. It might also mean the Browns look for an experienced safety in free agency to lead the largely inexperienced group it had in 2016.

In St. Louis, Williams had linebacker James Laurinaitis handling audibles on the field.

"I tell everyone all the time when they ask what defense we're playing, we're playing the defense James calls, not what I call," Williams told therams.com in 2015.

That quote is from the video below. It's six minutes well spent if you want to learn the basics of the 4-3 defense and gain some insight into how Williams runs it.

3. Players need a notebook

Matt Bowen was a safety for Williams in Washington. In 2013, as an NFL writer for Bleacher Report, Bowen provided an insider's guide to Williams' defense.

According to Bowen, Browns defensive players had better be ready to take notes, because Williams' defense is complex.

"His meetings reminded me of college-level courses that combined chalkboard sessions with film work. I still have the notebooks from my time in Washington, and they are filled with concepts, blitzes, coverages and so on," Bowen wrote. "The meetings were no joke, and we were tested every day when the film started rolling. Williams had no problem putting you on the spot to answer questions, identify concepts or offensive schemes."

4. Always in attack mode

The signature of a Williams defense is that it's always attacking. Expect the Browns to blitz a lot. After the Rams hired Williams in 2014, NFLcom writer Bucky Brooks wrote that former players raved about his aggressive nature.

"On passing downs, Williams certainly isn't afraid to mix in a variety of blitzes from exotic looks - including some Okie fronts (3-4 or nickel 3-3 packages) - as well as the standard 4-2-5 nickel front," Brooks wrote. "He will order up Cover 0 all-out blitzes in any area of the field, which makes him the ultimate gambler as a play-caller."

However, as Bowen pointed out on Bleacher Report, this can be Williams' downfall. "Blitz too much and you can hang your defensive backs out to dry with no help anywhere on the field," Bowen wrote.

5. Scheme to his players' strengths

Browns head coach Hue Jackson mentioned on Sunday that Williams always gets the most out of his players. In some ways, he is similar to Jackson when it comes to versatility and creativity. When the Rams hired Williams, ESPN's Jeff Triplett wrote about his creative use of safety Roman Harper.

"One example that stands out most was the way he made safety Roman Harper into a two-time Pro Bowler by using him as a frequent blitzer and pseudo-linebacker," Triplett wrote. "Williams would also mix and match between a 4-3 and 3-4. His most famous example (of creativity) was the Super Bowl win over Indianapolis and Peyton Manning when he had different plans for the first half, the third quarter and the fourth quarter."

3 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

My God!  so we might get an official announcement that Gase has signed Williams as DC before we even get official announcement that Gase is HC???

Only the NYJ baby!!

I prefer the guy sign and get to work rather than sign and do a photo-op and news conference. 

This would be a huge hire that would allow him to focus on Darnold and the offense, which is really what he was hired to do. That's what makes the job attractive to a DC like Williams; he'll be given complete autonomy on that side of the ball.  

I love that Gase can focus solely on the Offense and Williams on the defense.

I love that both are absolutely no nonsense, in your face, get after it, Alpha males. Jamal Adams is going to love Williams. Trumane is going to hate him.

People are underrating Gase as an offensive mind. If we have a good free agency and draft we can turn this around quick.

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This would be excellent.  But as we saw with the Head Coach search, lets not count any chickens before they hatch.  There is ALOT of B.S. "sources" thrown about, and 99% turn out to not happen.  I want this, and would applaud it, but I'm not going to start circle jerking till it's official.

They dont announce this stuff unless its a done deal. 

You may commence jerking!!

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Since 2006, Gregg Williams led defenses have been in the top ten in points allowed once. I’m befuddled as to why this hiring, if true, is a big deal.  He’s massively overrated here. 

Carl once again the party pooper you do realize the pile of trash we just got rid here that couldn't stop a nose bleed. 

COME ON MAN lighten up. 

Archived