Gregg Williams close to signing as DC

prime21

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, k-met57 said:

or he may actually become the beast that i think he can be with good coaching. name all the players that improved under bowles...Adams who was going to be great anywhere and Henry Anderson who was miscast last year....Leo needs coaching.

With a competent coach who coaches people up and plays them in the correct positions, any player can instantly be upgraded. 

Just now, Butterfield said:

Hopefully the jets have good a secession plan in place.  Williams doesn't last places very long.  2 or 3 years at the very most.

2-3 years of teaching and building can set a player up for a lifetime of success...nothing to sneeze at.

15 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

The prospect of a 4-3 seems surreal to me. What does it even mean?(I know what a 4-3 is) 

All I’ve known is 3-4 defense without a pass rusher. This is exciting. 

This a defense that only works with the lead. No bending. No prevent. No running out the clock.

Let's get a God damn lead then pressure the QB, force some mistakes. 

32 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I love that Gase can focus solely on the Offense and Williams on the defense.

I love that both are absolutely no nonsense, in your face, get after it, Alpha males. Jamal Adams is going to love Williams. Trumane is going to hate him.

People are underrating Gase as an offensive mind. If we have a good free agency and draft we can turn this around quick.

Trumain Johnson has already stated in numerous other media that he loves Williams... he played with him in St. Louis... Tru wasn't the slacker the media made him out to be ... WIlliams and Lee are...

Well, I will say this if they land Williams...we will have a no nonsense, take no b.s. coaching staff.  With the amount of loafers that Todd allowed to do whatever they want with no consequences on this team, this is a good thing.  Or, they completely alienate half the team and they literally riot in the locker room after their 3rd consecutive loss in week 5.

There is no happy medium.

2 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Trumain Johnson has already stated in numerous other media that he loves Williams... he played with him in St. Louis... Tru wasn't the slacker the media made him out to be ... WIlliams and Lee are...

I want to see this Williams pre-draft - perhaps a smart Attack the Offense Coordinator can get this:

NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah also considers Williams the most dominant player in the draft. 

Leonard Williams, from all the guys I've seen so far, has been the most dominating player, Everything you want -- the size, the length, the explosiveness, the versatility. You can play him all over the line on defense. He reminds me a lot of Richard Seymour. That's pretty good company to keep.

5 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

2-3 years of teaching and building can set a player up for a lifetime of success...nothing to sneeze at.

That is fine, it doesn't change my statement.  You have to have guys who can step in and take over for him, because he wears out his welcome quickly.  Not a guy you can count on for any amount of time.

7 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Hopefully the jets have good a secession plan in place.  Williams doesn't last places very long.  2 or 3 years at the very most.

Where would they secede? Maybe the XFL would be a good look for the Jets.

37 minutes ago, slats said:

I prefer the guy sign and get to work rather than sign and do a photo-op and news conference. 

This would be a huge hire that would allow him to focus on Darnold and the offense, which is really what he was hired to do. That's what makes the job attractive to a DC like Williams; he'll be given complete autonomy on that side of the ball.  

SLATS! 

Well, I wished for it and it's looking slightly rosy so far..  but yeah...  

but, wait, hold on...  isn't Cleveland the new Tahiti? Doesnt everyone wanna go vacation there, retire in the paradiscal penumbra of Baker Mayfield's fun personality?

40 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Browns head coach Hue Jackson mentioned on Sunday that Williams always gets the most out of his players. In some ways, he is similar to Jackson when it comes to versatility and creativity.

I think the reporter meant this as a complement .... but ....

19 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

The prospect of a 4-3 seems surreal to me. What does it even mean?(I know what a 4-3 is) 

All I’ve known is 3-4 defense without a pass rusher. This is exciting. 

While I have absolutely no problem at all with a switch to a 4-3, but in that case it makes finding of a real pass rusher even more vital (although, it's obviously high on the list either way).  Not that it worked out all that well for the Jets in recent years mind you, but at least in theory, the slight benefit that comes with the 3-4 is that the direction of the rush isn't constant and therefore always known.  While there can always be the occasional blitzers in a 4-3, as a general rule the rush is coming from the same guys every play.

With that said, 4-3 rushers are also considered easier to find, due to the exact reason of the more things a 3-4 OLB is responsible for, so it's certainly manageable for them to address.  The only point is, if they don't address rusher at all this offseason, it's not going to be pretty.

Archived