Gregg Williams close to signing as DC

prime21

11 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Trumain Johnson has already stated in numerous other media that he loves Williams... he played with him in St. Louis... Tru wasn't the slacker the media made him out to be ... WIlliams and Lee are...

Darron Lee is not a slacker the defensive schemes the morons Bowles and Rodgers ran did not bring out the best in him. 

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Nice thread of people celebrating before anything actually happens. What could go wrong? 

It certainly hasn't detracted the thread crapper extraordinaires from making their voices heard. 

30 minutes ago, Warfish said:

See what I meant?

Not done.  Not close to done.

Unless it is done.

Unless it's not.

Maybe.

Rapoport is pretty good though. But you are right, when I posted the article on the front page I made sure to be clear it was a RapSheet report. Things can change, hopefully they don't.

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Darron Lee is not a slacker the defensive schemes the morons Bowles and Rodgers ran did not bring out the best in him. 

he's not a slacker, I agree. he's just very easily blocked and doesnt have good football sense.. runs himself out of plays...   oh never mind...  

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Lee was suspended for PEDs and must fear he will be tested again.

He may show up to camp at his natural 185.

Not much left there to bring the best out of.

57 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

This is going to be great! I have longed for the day we would go back to a 4-3. Aggressive pressing defense.  Everything we had hoped for. Pressure,  Aggression, Accountability, Adjustments.... Can you IMAGINE?  Those guys who took the  "year off", better put their big boy pants on now, or be ready to be gone. 

At the very least, Trumaine Johnson would be in the proper system.  With the money we're paying him, it'd be nice not to have a sunken cost there. 

38 minutes ago, The Troll said:

F that.

Guy was supposed to be the best player in that draft. Let’s see what he can do with a new scheme and an NFL caliber coordinator.

I would agree with you if it weren’t for the position we are in and his salary for 2018 undermines all negotiations for a fair contract based on years of underperforming play for where he was drafted.

He didn’t bust at least and has value but not near his current salary which is where an extension would start at or he’d gladly test the market in 2020 rendering him without value to us when we walks(please don’t say we’d get a comp pick because that’s highly unlikely).

If 2019 was year 4, I’d completely agree with you though and would love to see him in a new scheme. I’d rather snag a 2nd(if possible) at this point is all. 

15 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

This a defense that only works with the lead. No bending. No prevent. No running out the clock.

Let's get a God damn lead then pressure the QB, force some mistakes. 

I'm confused.  An aggressive defense that doesn't bend, plays press coverage, and blitzes often, with the aim of getting sacks/turnovers, and plays no prevent;  That defense only works with the "LEAD"?  How is that !?  PS.   G-d wants to talk to you.

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Rapoport is pretty good though. But you are right, when I posted the article on the front page I made sure to be clear it was a RapSheet report. Things can change, hopefully they don't.

nfl.com is saying teh same thing

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001009700/article/gregg-williams-in-talks-with-jets-for-dc-position

21 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

This a defense that only works with the lead. No bending. No prevent. No running out the clock.

Let's get a God damn lead then pressure the QB, force some mistakes. 

In a perfect world yes. This is Jets world though so I prefer to be cautiously optimistic.

12 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

While I have absolutely no problem at all with a switch to a 4-3, but in that case it makes finding of a real pass rusher even more vital (although, it's obviously high on the list either way).  Not that it worked out all that well for the Jets in recent years mind you, but at least in theory, the slight benefit that comes with the 3-4 is that the direction of the rush isn't constant and therefore always known.  While there can always be the occasional blitzers in a 4-3, as a general rule the rush is coming from the same guys every play.

With that said, 4-3 rushers are also considered easier to find, due to the exact reason of the more things a 3-4 OLB is responsible for, so it's certainly manageable for them to address.  The only point is, if they don't address rusher at all this offseason, it's not going to be pretty.

Good points and I’m well aware of the key differences between the 2. I was kidding when saying “what is a 4-3?” Since it’s so alien to this franchise. 

5 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I'm confused.  An aggressive defense that doesn't bend, plays press coverage, and blitzes often, with the aim of getting sacks/turnovers, and plays no prevent;  That defense only works with the "LEAD"?  How is that !?  PS.   G-d wants to talk to you.

God had her chance. I'll talk to her after the SB. 

If the Jets hire Williams and move to a base 4-3, I wonder if Ziggy Ansah becomes a high priority in FA.

Big problem with him is the nagging injuries. Otherwise he’s a beast when he’s on the field.

I also think the Jets would snatch up Quinnen Williams in a heartbeat if he’s there at #3.

DE Ziggy Ansah

DT Quinnen Williams 

DT Mike Pennel

DE Leonard Williams

That’s pretty damn enticing. I mean, we’re going to be taking a defensive player if we stay at #3 regardless.

If we’re running the 4-3, then I suddenly become much more open to an interior DL like Q. Williams or Ed Oliver.

46 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Last word from me:  You can be tough/intimidating without being psychotic and dangerous.  I never respected the guy after the "events" in NOLA.  All I'm saying is that he's not my cup of tea.  I respect that others have a different opinion of the guy.

I'd be much happier with this DC hiring if we didn't have such a hard-a$$ as the head coach.

The best hard-a$$ DC's work best with HC's that are level-headed.  Almost like a good cop/bad cop routine. 

These 2 guys are gonna be in the locker room like "MURDER EVERYONE!!!"  "YES MURDER AND BLOOD!!!"  There needs to be a chill factor somewhere. 

I like this move but now more than ever we need a football guy as vice president of football operations. Someone who can keep these two in line if things start to get a little messy. A Bill Parcells type of leader. Macc and CJ ain't built for this life.

With these two personalities, this will either turn out really, really good for us or it will implode at epic proportions.

23 minutes ago, MasterChiefJets said:

I want to see this Williams pre-draft - perhaps a smart Attack the Offense Coordinator can get this:

NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah also considers Williams the most dominant player in the draft. 

Leonard Williams, from all the guys I've seen so far, has been the most dominating player, Everything you want -- the size, the length, the explosiveness, the versatility. You can play him all over the line on defense. He reminds me a lot of Richard Seymour. That's pretty good company to keep.

I think the comparison they were meaning to make was "STEPHANIE" Seymour,  not Richard,

1 hour ago, prime21 said:
Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet
FollowingFollowing @RapSheet
More

New #Jets coach Adam Gase is on the verge of a big hire: Former #Browns interim coach Gregg Williams is in talks with Gase to become their new defensive coordinator, sources say. Things are progressing in this direction, and those involved believe it’ll get done.

I :chas: don't think Kacy Rogers got a fair shot...... :)

4 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Good points and I’m well aware of the key differences between the 2. I was kidding when saying “what is a 4-3?” Since it’s so alien to this franchise. 

Oh yeah, I got that.  Was really just throwing out my own potential concerns.

Now let me tell you a thing or two above what 4-3 and 3-4 actually means......

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

If the Jets hire Williams and move to a base 4-3, I wonder if Ziggy Ansah becomes a high priority in FA.

Big problem with him is the nagging injuries. Otherwise he’s a beast when he’s on the field.

I also think the Jets would snatch up Quinnen Williams in a heartbeat if he’s there at #3.

DE Ziggy Ansah

DT Quinnen Williams 

DT Mike Pennel

DE Leonard Williams

That’s pretty damn enticing. I mean, we’re going to be taking a defensive player if we stay at #3 regardless.

If we’re running the 4-3, then I suddenly become much more open to an interior DL like Q. Williams or Ed Oliver.

And Darnold continues to run for his life and throw the ball to Deontay Burnett?

8 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Lee was suspended for PEDs and must fear he will be tested again.

He may show up to camp at his natural 185.

Not much left there to bring the best out of.

Lee was suspended for banned substances-Substances of Abuse.  

If I am Chris Johnson thinking about entertaining the fans, and knowing my fans, hiring guys like Gase and Williams are good moves.  

These are the type of Coaches Jets fans want to see.  The passive, players friend routine, when accompanied with bad play, does not work.  Pete Carroll can pull it off, but as a starting point that is hard in NY, in the NFL.  

The players are not going to like it, but they need to find players that do.

All in all, if I had to predict, with this type of approach we will see a much better team.

My guess is that you see a much more serious Bowles next year in TB.  Why he acted like he did here, who knows?

Archived