Gregg Williams close to signing as DC

prime21

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yet, he hired Todd Bowles as his DC, that's is the total opposite of what we watched for 4 years.  Baffling that Todd was drastically different than his mentor.  He was the quintessential square peg round hole even though he'd draft/acquire system talent and then totally ignore what they're good at,

I think in the end you can't fault the Jets on the hire of Bowles.  I think in the end Bowles just laid an egg. He had the chance to at least run a good defense, and he whiffed.  

I don't know whether it is clear that the Jets, even though they ran a 3-4 for the last 10 years, actually has 3-4 personnel.  I would almost argue its more the opposite.  Which is just sad.  Given the cap space, they should run what the DC thinks will work best.  My guess is that is a 4-3, because those players are easier to find in FA.  

Posted this in an earlier Gregg Williams thread, for those interested:

Going back to 2004 (when Williams took the DC job in Washington), here's how Williams' defenses have ranked, from Football Outsiders:
Washington (2004-07)
  • 2004:  # 4
  • 2005:  # 3
  • 2006:  # 32
  • 2007:  # 7
Jacksonville (2008)
  • 2008:  # 24
New Orleans (2009-11)
  • 2009:  # 23
  • 2010:  # 10
  • 2011:  # 25
St. Louis (2012)
  • 2012:  # 8
Tennessee (2013)
  • 2013:  # 21
St. Louis/LA (2014-16)
  • 2014:  # 6
  • 2015:  # 11
  • 2016:  # 17
Cleveland (2017-18)
  • 2017:  # 16
  • 2018:  # 20
Summary (15 years as DC)
  • Top 10 finishes:  6x
  • Middle of the Pack (11-20):  4x
  • Outside of Top 20:  5x
So, Mixed results.
Thanks, I had to look this up... So they were 20th in weighted defense which is supposed to reflect how the defense performed toward the end of the season.

Their overall DVOA rank is 12th. The drop off could have been due to Williams taking over as HC -- more responsibilities and less time to focus on defense.

IMO, this is a more accurate reflection of defense performance than looking at conventional stats.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Rex's defense was top 10 each of his first 4 years in New York.  Then it dropped to # 16 and then # 22 in his final 2 seasons.

In Buffalo, the D was ranked # 28 both years. 

His final 3 seasons as DC in Baltimore, his D was # 3, # 6, # 1, # 12, and # 3, respectively.

I mentiond earlier today in another thread that maybe Willimas was sorta part of the ol boy NFL network...  as in his body of work is uneven and he keeps getting jobs..   

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Going back to 2004 (when Williams took the DC job in Washington), here's how Williams' defenses have ranked, from Football Outsiders:

Washington (2004-07)

Jacksonville (2008)

New Orleans (2009-11)

St. Louis (2012)

Tennessee (2013)

St. Louis/LA (2014-16)

Cleveland (2017-18)

Summary (15 years as DC)

So, Mixed results.

Thanks for this—I was just going to look this up. The results are actually better than I expected. 

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

To be clear, my comment wasn't about the site, just the reporting yes/no/yes/no emotional roller-coaster and our (fan) reactions to it, lol.

+1 on hoping they don't change, I do want this guy badly, especially with Gase.

No I definitely understood. I was agreeing with you, because I had the same concern when I was posting it.

Somehow though Williams makes the Gase choice seem better. If Gase is confident enough to have Williams in the building, that is already a very good start.

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Remember when everyone was a like,.."yo, peep Lee taking over play calls" in like week 4 of Training Camp?  And I was like, "yo, Avery Williamson will take over by week 3"....and Avery Williamson took over before the ending of training camp.

Lee sucks. 

Seriously, He is a pothead that has no interest in being good... When Adams was complaining about how some people didn't want to put in the effort he was 100% talking about Lee and Williams. 2 High profile names who wouldn't be cut but were lazy in reading defenses... Pre-snap alignment and worst of all in year 3 cannot call plays... when he was drafted to be 'The Man'. How can anyone still defend that A-hole.... Getting suspended for weed just shows to the level of incompetence of this guy...  You have to be caught 4 times to be suspended.... Seriously, that shows that he just doesn't give a sh*t.

Has to be said. If Maccagnan has laid the cards on the table with the likes of Gase and said “look, HC or not, Sam and the offense will be your bag and I’m going to bring in Gregg Williams to own the defensive side of the ball” and Gase is happy (obviously Rhule wasn’t), you have to say he’s played this superbly. 

14 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Tru was hurt all year... did he get burnt a couple times before his injury... yes... but he played very well the first few games before the chronic injuries... But he was a difference maker even after his injury... I mean what games are you guys watching...

Come on man. He sucked. He was skipping meetings, late for practice, dogging it on the field.

Hopefully he can turn it around. I just doubt it

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

No I definitely understood. I was agreeing with you, because I had the same concern when I was posting it.

Somehow though Williams makes the Gase choice seem better. If Gase is confident enough to have Williams in the building, that is already a very good start.

Yep, my thoughts EXACTLY.

14 minutes ago, British Jet said:

Has to be said. If Maccagnan has laid the cards on the table with the likes of Gase and said “look, HC or not, Sam and the offense will be your bag and I’m going to bring in Gregg Williams to own the defensive side of the ball” and Gase is happy (obviously Rhule wasn’t), you have to say he’s played this superbly. 

Gregg Williams usually only stays in the same place for 2-3 years.  Basing who the HC hire is entirely on what staff he brings in is extremely flawed, and especially so if you're demanding the DC to specifically be Williams.

No HC should be gimped on assistant coach choices.  Because, as we know, the assistants usually last a lot less longer than the HC, whether the HC is successful or not.  Assistants either move on to greener pastures OR their own HC jobs, OR they get fired prior to the HC getting canned. 

So, no, Maccagnan and Johnson did NOT handle this "superbly". 

6 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Agree 100%.

If Gase wanted to bring a bunch of subservient Yes men then I'd be worried.  It's what worried me about McCarthy, bringing in recycled dude like Philbin or McAdoo, etc.  It would be very positive if Gase is adaptable and open to working with different guys who are very talented.  If he took the "this building isn't big enough for the both of us" approach I'd be worried.

Also, Williams won't be cheap.  Very veteran guy, highly sought after.  He'll be expensive.  This would shoot down the BS I still hear occasionally about ownership being cheap and not wanting to pay a guy.  This was one of the arguments from the McCarthy crowd....they don't want to pay McCarthy so watch, they'll hire a cheap college coach.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Gregg Williams usually only stays in the same place for 2-3 years.  Basing who the HC based on what staff he brings in is extremely flawed, and especially so if you're demanding the DC to specifically be Williams.

No HC should be gimped on assistant coach choices.  Because, as we know, the assistants usually last a lot less longer than the HC, whether the HC is successful or not.  Assistants either move on to greener pastures OR their own HC jobs, OR they get fired prior to the HC getting canned. 

So, no, Maccagnan and Johnson did NOT handle this "superbly". 

To me it is a lot about the tone. Williams is going to bring the energy that has been missing. He will hold people accountable.

Let's be honest, the NFL is all about offense so you aren't shutting anyone out anymore. You aren't holding people to 10 points.

Bring the fire, give us the occasional big stop and let's have Sam win a bunch of games. That's the plan. I hope it works lol.

37 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Washington (2004-07)

Jacksonville (2008)

New Orleans (2009-11)

St. Louis (2012)

Tennessee (2013)

St. Louis/LA (2014-16)

Cleveland (2017-18)

Summary (15 years as DC)

So, Mixed results.

Defensive rankings always hinge on what kind of offense you run.  That's why Rex always liked run-first, clock-eating offenses.  Because it made his defenses look good by keeping the other team's offense off the field.  No team with Drew Brees on it will have a top defense. 

This is what a lot of people would consider the 'winning formula' in a progressive vision of the NFL. An offensive head coach who will spend the majority of his time focusing on the development of a young quarterback and a defensive coordinator who is in essence the head coach of his unit.

We are somewhat taking the new age approach, only instead of hiring a guy like Kingsbury we went with somebody with NFL experience and a little bit more of a track record.

7 minutes ago, British Jet said:

Well, an objective person would say that but there's a good chunk of people on this forum who are so entrenched that they could never utter the words, "Macc played this right."  It's like the hardcore pro/anti Trump folks.  No matter where they stand, whether for or against, they can't change their positions in spite of facts.

Let's see how this plays out first of all.  Until I see these guys on the sideline I'm not patting anyone on the back yet.

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

To me it is a lot about the tone. Williams is going to bring the energy that has been missing. He will hold people accountable.

Let's be honest, the NFL is all about offense so you aren't shutting anyone out anymore. You aren't holding people to 10 points.

Bring the fire, give us the occasional big stop and let's have Sam win a bunch of games. That's the plan. I hope it works lol.

I’m ok with just don’t suck. 

49 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I would agree with you if it weren’t for the position we are in and his salary for 2018 undermines all negotiations for a fair contract based on years of underperforming play for where he was drafted.

He didn’t bust at least and has value but not near his current salary which is where an extension would start at or he’d gladly test the market in 2020 rendering him without value to us when we walks(please don’t say we’d get a comp pick because that’s highly unlikely).

If 2019 was year 4, I’d completely agree with you though and would love to see him in a new scheme. I’d rather snag a 2nd(if possible) at this point is all. 

If this happens you can bet on us taking Q. Williams in the draft and basically replacing one of our best players with another player, thereby not improving much at all.

11 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Come on man. He sucked. He was skipping meetings, late for practice, dogging it on the field.

Hopefully he can turn it around. I just doubt it

You are right but he was not the lazy people that Adams was talking about... It was Williams and Lee

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Thats ******* Big time.

Now keep Boyer, sh*tcan Dowwell Logface or whatever his name is and get a legit OC/Assistant, and hire McCown as QB coach. 

Dowell Logface........ ? 

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Defense is about a race to the QB.  Can you get there quick enough that it doesn't matter what kind of vertical concepts, X Slot Drags, Trap wiggles or whatever else a Sean McVay cooks up because it won't have time to develop.  If you can pressure the QB you cut your opponents' offensive playbook in half.  You have to adapt (see Brady and his quick throws to Welker, Edelman, Amendola, etc.) on offense if your QB is getting hit in the mouth.

You don't even need great CBs, just guys who can hang on long enough that your passrush can work.  See Denver over Carolina in the Super Bowl, see Giants over Patriots, see Chargers over Ravens.

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Gase and Williams...anyone think we’re still going to have players showing up late for meetings or missing them entirely?

Two major upgrades for both sides of the ball.. Williams is much better for the D than Bowles. Obviously Gase is much better for the idiot Bowles and Bates for the O

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Let's see how this plays out first of all.  Until I see these guys on the sideline I'm not patting anyone on the back yet.

That’s a fair comment. In my eyes we’re closer to being set up to succeed than we were under Bowles and company. So it’s taking steps in the right direction. 

Having seen Williams in action on Hard Knocks and such, I’m excited to see him rip  through what should be a fairly decent set of players. 

I know one year w/ the Siants... SB win year? They had LOTS of turnovers...

I know Cleve last year, at least in the first half of the year, had a ALOT of turnovers...

wonder where his units ranked in turnovers all those years...  I oughta be able to see that on NFL.com stats, right? ( but am at work)

8 minutes ago, Maxman said:

That's fine, but the amount of time before coaches like these flame out is very short, on average.  And we just hired TWO of them to run the team on the field. 

Interesting strategy, Cotton.  Let's see how it works out for them.

I'm sure this has been labored over in the thread, but the move to a 4-3... too little too late? 4 years ago, absolutely... but do we have a true 4-3 Ends right now? Bosa and Allen (especially) aren't great ends and worse 4-3 OLBs. 

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

A look in at the Jets Lockerroom at half time:

"If youre on defense, get the fck over here."

-G. Williams.

"If you're on offense, get the fck over here"

-A. Gase

Meanwhile--

Special teams be like:

1Jy4.gif

lol

ST will be fine.  Miami had very good ST under Gase.  I also think Brant Boyer is still under contract to the Jets.  So whether Gase brings his own guy or he retains Boyer I'm not very concerned right now. 

Archived