Gregg Williams close to signing as DC

prime21

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

If this happens you can bet on us taking Q. Williams in the draft and basically replacing one of our best players with another player, thereby not improving much at all.

I’m ok with taking best player at 3, and if it’s D so be it. Just as long as jets then use 90% of the 100 mil on O

57 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Lee was suspended for PEDs and must fear he will be tested again.

He may show up to camp at his natural 185.

Not much left there to bring the best out of.

watch out JetNutz will buttfumble you if you call out this terrible NFL player as terrible!

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That's fine, but the amount of time before coaches like these flame out is very short, on average.  And we just hired TWO of them to run the team on the field. 

Interesting strategy, Cotton.  Let's see how it works out for them.

Bold move Cotton, hopefully it pays off with a Super Bowl win.

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

Bold move Cotton, hopefully it pays off with a Super Bowl win.

I give this trio of Macc, Gase, and Williams a max of 3 years before they're all gone and we're starting over.  Not saying all of them will last the 3 years, one or more might be gone in 1. Just saying all three will be gone by the end of the 2021 season.

But hey, maybe we'll get 1-2 playoff appearances out of the deal. 

19 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Somehow though Williams makes the Gase choice seem better. If Gase is confident enough to have Williams in the building, that is already a very good start.

Completely agree.  Surrounding yourself with competent people is always a good move from a coaching perspective and not having any concern for another "big name" in the room also indicates to me a commitment to doing whatever it takes to win.  I like it!

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

ST will be fine.  Miami had very good ST under Gase.  I also think Brant Boyer is still under contract to the Jets.  So whether Gase brings his own guy or he retains Boyer I'm not very concerned right now. 

The key to good STs is depth.  Not just numbers, but quality depth.  The Jets finally wised up 2 years ago and stopped supplying BOyer with cheap dreck.  I heard Westhoff reaming them out on a post game a few years back. Maybe they got his message?

10 minutes ago, Paradis said:

A look in at the Jets Lockerroom at half time:

"If youre on defense, get the fck over here."

-G. Williams.

"If you're on offense, get the fck over here"

-A. Gase

Meanwhile--

Special teams be like:

1Jy4.gif

lol

Speaking of which, should we be convinced that given the complete lack of news on the ST front, that Boyer will be sticking around (regardless if that was Gase's call, or pushed onto him by the FO)?

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Hopefully he won’t even get the chance to and we trade him. 

or maybe he's the kind of a kid that needs a fire under his ass to get to the place that he needs to be and that we need him to be at. I mean he is a player who was always a half second away from the big play, maybe with a Greg Williams type of guy he'll make up that half second and become a true 1 st round talent-I think he has it in him. I'm not ready to give up on him yet.

10 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I'm sure this has been labored over in the thread, but the move to a 4-3... too little too late? 4 years ago, absolutely... but do we have a true 4-3 Ends right now? Bosa and Allen (especially) aren't great ends and worse 4-3 OLBs. 

The article I quoted says he designs the defense around the players and plays both base defenses

42 minutes ago, SMC said:

It would be great if the Jets hire Williams, but why does it have to come with a change to 4-3?

Gase is credited with creating an offense to fit his QB and that was a selling point.  He did it with Tebow and a post-injury Peyton.  Why can't Williams do the same and have his scheme fit the Jets' personnel?

It never makes sense to me why in the NFL coaches are given a free pass to devalue and discard players (i.e., team assets) in the name of having something "fit their system."  Why aren't coaches using schemes to maximize the already in-house team assets?  That's what good coaching does.

I was pleased to see him mention Bud Carson as an influence. This was Carson's specialty. Everywhere he went, he was capable of playing the scheme that fit the personnel best and do it better than the previous guy. I hope he brings that same flexibility, and I believe he's capable of it. 

37 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

See my post with his year-to-year defensive DVOA rankings, which attempts to account for such variables:

New Orleans (2009-11)

• 2009:  # 23
  • 2010:  # 10
  • 2011:  # 25

The Saints had a very high-powered offense those years, and were in the playoffs all three years - winning the Super Bowl in '09. When your team scores a lot of points, the other team is forced to get very aggressive on offense. The result is often giving up yards and points, yourself. 

37 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Rex's defense was top 10 each of his first 4 years in New York.  Then it dropped to # 16 and then # 22 in his final 2 seasons.

In Buffalo, the D was ranked # 28 both years. 

His final 3 seasons as DC in Baltimore, his D was # 3, # 6, # 1, # 12, and # 3, respectively.

Conversely, Rex put up great defensive stats when his offense couldn't score but could play the ball-control game. So opposing offenses were never in desperation mode, never got out of their game plan, and never piled up garbage points or yards. 

I'm hoping our DC has that problem where the offense is scoring a lot of points soon. In today's NFL, the defense's #1 job is creating turnovers and the #2 job is getting off the field on third down. Do that when it matters, and I really don't care about the garbage stats. 

46 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Usually being in the top ten defenses statistically means you have a boring, run-oriented team eating up the clock. Not what the Saints had with Drew Brees.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I’d love to see a link backing up this claim. Having a top ten defense in points allowed usually just means you don’t let other teams score a lot. 

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Last word from me:  You can be tough/intimidating without being psychotic and dangerous.  I never respected the guy after the "events" in NOLA.  All I'm saying is that he's not my cup of tea.  I respect that others have a different opinion of the guy.

This type of stuff was going on in football forever. Its just that in the past decade or so the NFL has gotten soft to appease all the candy asses getting their voices heard in today;s society.

this is good news.  there are some decent defensive coordinators out there but the jets need a guy who can get them to play beyond their dreams.  bowles was supposed to be some sort of guru but he was way too easy on the players.  signing williams will get the players' attention pretty darn quick.

15 minutes ago, slats said:

NFL, the defense's #1 job is creating turnovers and the #2 job is getting off the field on third down. Do that when it matters, and I really don't care about the garbage stats. 

in an above post I wondered about where he stood with the turovers in the years he was DC.

Also, I was just reading an article about N Foles and how Wentz overall numbers look better, but Nick does better on 3rd down and in the RZ.  Same principle...  yards per game can be quite deceptive... 

18 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

or maybe he's the kind of a kid that needs a fire under his ass to get to the place that he needs to be and that we need him to be at. I mean he is a player who was always a half second away from the big play, maybe with a Greg Williams type of guy he'll make up that half second and become a true 1 st round talent-I think he has it in him. I'm not ready to give up on him yet.

I hear ya and would like to see them try. As I’ve said earlier, I just think the timing is bad and “too late” given the contract situation. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'd be much happier with this DC hiring if we didn't have such a hard-a$$ as the head coach.

The best hard-a$$ DC's work best with HC's that are level-headed.  Almost like a good cop/bad cop routine. 

These 2 guys are gonna be in the locker room like "MURDER EVERYONE!!!"  "YES MURDER AND BLOOD!!!"  There needs to be a chill factor somewhere. 

They may murder each other.

4 minutes ago, NJ said:

love it if it were true - but why would he come here?

The only reason I can think of is that with the Jets, he will be left alone to work his mad science. If I were DC, I would sign on with a team like Ari or NYJ where you know nobody is going to come in and try to mess up your experiments. 

Archived