Gregg Williams close to signing as DC

prime21

this is the guy i would want as dc this year. dude is a lunatic and is always fired up. have gase focus primarily on the offense. williams has complete control of d. keep our special teams coach and i will be more optimistic then a few days ago.  i have a feeling our d players will love his fiery attitude. might actually give them a reason to dance instead when down by 2 scores. bounties on everyone

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Rolloffjet said:

Is there anything official yet?

Doubt we're going to hear anything this late in the day, and with the weekend coming up...who knows. I just hope it happens and if they break the news on Monday I'll be fine with that. This team needs a personality like him in the worst way after four years of Club Bowles.

6 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

This is going to be great! I have longed for the day we would go back to a 4-3. Aggressive pressing defense.  Everything we had hoped for. Pressure,  Aggression, Accountability, Adjustments.... Can you IMAGINE?  Those guys who took the  "year off", better put their big boy pants on now, or be ready to be gone.

is it certain that williams runs a 4-3? I was looking and the only quote I could find from him was this:

“The reason being is this, I have 42 words that add up to the 11 that trot out to the field. You guys that have studied me before, we’ll play 4-3 and 3-4 in the same game. 3-3, 3-2, 4-1, 4-2, bear, big on five down, big on six down, big on more linebackers, little on more DB’s. I have 42 packages of defense. Now everywhere I go, I don’t do them all. What it is, coaches sit in a room and we waste so much time wondering what the word is. I have the words already. I’ve been doing it for so long. So boom, this 11 guys, boom this 11 guys trot out there. Then, what you all will see is, how much we play those types of schemes or packages is based on the AFC North. It’s based on what the offenses are pulling out there and we have to play defense on. I’m also not afraid to make sure all of the other people are going to have to work on things that I’m never going to call. They’ve got to practice all week long on 4-3, 3-4, 2-2, all of that kind of stuff, and I’m not even going to do it next week. So that’s ok too.”

19 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

O.K. I misspoke then. I was thinking about the old draft format.

We can easily trade back in round 1 for additional picks in rounds 1 through 4.

We all on the same page now??

Nope 

The 3rd pick is really expensive and there isn't a player worth trading up for. With Flacco and other QBs available it's going to be a very different dynamic 

You can't trade 3 2nds and then take less the next year 

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

Nope 

The 3rd pick is really expensive and there isn't a player worth trading up for. With Flacco and other QBs available it's going to be a very different dynamic 

I think our only hope is Haskins rocketing up someones draft board.

Just now, Larz said:

Nope 

LOL...

All it's gonna take is one QB hungry team to want Haskins or whoever is the QB flavor of the month, and a trade becomes possible.   I see like at least 5 teams in the top 15 that are probably in the market for a QB.  There may even be an unexpected defensive player at 3 left for us that some other team really covets...Maybe, just maybe, Macc and Gase's team building philosophy really will be primarily concerned with surrounding Sam with talent on the O side as soon as possible and trade out in that case.  Who knows.

And what you gave up last year to move up has little bearing as to what you should get this year in a trade.  Every trade is it's own entity and either worth it to you or not.

1 minute ago, greenwave81 said:

LOL...

All it's gonna take is one QB hungry team to want Haskins or whoever is the QB flavor of the month, and a trade becomes possible.   I see like at least 5 teams in the top 15 that are probably in the market for a QB.  There may even be an unexpected defensive player at 3 left for us that some other team really covets...Maybe, just maybe, Macc and Gase's team building philosophy really will be primarily concerned with surrounding Sam with talent on the O side as soon as possible and trade out in that case.  Who knows.

And what you gave up last year to move up has little bearing as to what you should get this year in a trade.  Every trade is it's own entity and either worth it to you or not.

I would love to trade back and get picks and offense 

This draft is not a good draft for that 

If the eagles put a QB on the market we may not see a QB drafted in the top 15 

We have a long way to go but I don't see why a GM would feel like he has to come all the way up to 3 based on current draft order 

1 minute ago, Larz said:

We have a long way to go but I don't see why a GM would feel like he has to come all the way up to 3 based on current draft order 

I mentioned it earlier with Haskins. What if he shoots up the boards which is entirely plausible and all of those QB needy teams below us realize that he is the only potential first round worthy pick? Trading up to 3 might be the best destination for a team wanting too move up. At least I hope that is what happens.

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Posted this in an earlier Gregg Williams thread, for those interested:

Going back to 2004 (when Williams took the DC job in Washington), here's how Williams' defenses have ranked, from Football Outsiders:

Washington (2004-07)

• 2004:  # 4
  • 2005:  # 3
  • 2006:  # 32
  • 2007:  # 7

Jacksonville (2008)

• 2008:  # 24

New Orleans (2009-11)

• 2009:  # 23
  • 2010:  # 10
  • 2011:  # 25

St. Louis (2012)

• 2012:  # 8

Tennessee (2013)

• 2013:  # 21

St. Louis/LA (2014-16)

• 2014:  # 6
  • 2015:  # 11
  • 2016:  # 17

Cleveland (2017-18)

• 2017:  # 16
  • 2018:  # 20

Summary (15 years as DC)

• Top 10 finishes:  6x
  • Middle of the Pack (11-20):  4x
  • Outside of Top 20:  5x

So, Mixed results.

So basically we are the only team in the league that he has not worked for.  

17 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

Gimme this and Boyer and I'll be happy. 

Still not sure on Baggins...

I looked up the halfling and his career is spotty. I'm a Homer and always look for the positive 

With this guy? 

I got nothing lol

1 minute ago, Larz said:

The NYG (6), JAX(7) and DEN(10) all want a QB.  Other than Foles, all the FA QBs are nothing more than placeholders, and I can't see any that would preclude a team from the above list from both signing one for a short term deal AND drafting a guy for long-term.  MIA (13) and WASH (15) need QBs too.

Being there are so few potential top of the draft QBs plays against the Jets to some degree I'd agree...and I doubt you're gonna see a trade deal pre-draft like the NYJ pulled off with IND last year where there were more top of the draft QBs likely to still be available at 3.

But on draft day, it's going to be a game of chicken for the QB needy teams if no one trades up to 1 or 2, and the cost to trade to 3 might just be palatable to get the QB you want depending on who is interested in him.

I hope Haskins, Lock and Jones light up the combine.

2 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

The NYG (6), JAX(7) and DEN(10) all want a QB.  Other than Foles, all the FA QBs are nothing more than placeholders, and I can't see any that would preclude a team from the above list from both signing one for a short term deal AND drafting a guy for long-term.  MIA (13) and WASH (15) need QBs too.

Being there are so few potential top of the draft QBs plays against the Jets to some degree I'd agree...and I doubt you're gonna see a trade deal pre-draft like the NYJ pulled off with IND last year where there were more top of the draft QBs likely to still be available at 3.

But on draft day, it's going to be a game of chicken for the QB needy teams if no one trades up to 1 or 2, and the cost to trade to 3 might just be palatable to get the QB you want depending on who is interested in him.

Good post. I think the Raiders and even the Lions might consider a QB also. That's a bunch of teams in the top 10 that want a QB, especially if they think Gruden goes for a new QB at 4. Number 3 could be the sweetspot.

18 minutes ago, RobR said:

I mentioned it earlier with Haskins. What if he shoots up the boards which is entirely plausible and all of those QB needy teams below us realize that he is the only potential first round worthy pick? Trading up to 3 might be the best destination for a team wanting too move up. At least I hope that is what happens.

I would love to see it, but if a team like Jax at #7 wanted to move up, they'd be smart to go up to #2 (SF who doesn't need a QB) instead. Why take the chance going up to 3, then have a team like the Giants or Denver move up to 2 and get the QB?

11 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Giants are still iffy and Flacco is 100% available, Harbaugh addressed it directly

If all the QBs light up the combine there is even less reason to trade up 

Gruden is in the cat bird seat and that will impact the jets directly 

Ed Oliver could also give the jets reason to stick 

3 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I would love to see it, but if a team like Jax at #7 wanted to move up, they'd be smart to go up to #2 (SF who doesn't need a QB) instead. Why take the chance going up to 3, then have a team like the Giants or Denver move up to 2 and get the QB?

It’s so early to talk Draft, but it’s been classified as a two person draft (Bosa, Q. Williams...and then everyone else). If that’s true, the #3 spot becomes the first realistic position to trade up to. 

I think it’s clear McJohnson was planning all along to hire Williams as DC to take the heat off of the Gase fallout.  I just worry if there’s enough oxygen in the room for both Gase and Williams.  

Imagine if next year the Jets give the same effort as they gave in the Bills home shellacking.  The team might not come back after halftime.  They may be fired, quit or all be dead! 

1 hour ago, cant wait said:

is it certain that williams runs a 4-3? I was looking and the only quote I could find from him was this:

“The reason being is this, I have 42 words that add up to the 11 that trot out to the field. You guys that have studied me before, we’ll play 4-3 and 3-4 in the same game. 3-3, 3-2, 4-1, 4-2, bear, big on five down, big on six down, big on more linebackers, little on more DB’s. I have 42 packages of defense. Now everywhere I go, I don’t do them all. What it is, coaches sit in a room and we waste so much time wondering what the word is. I have the words already. I’ve been doing it for so long. So boom, this 11 guys, boom this 11 guys trot out there. Then, what you all will see is, how much we play those types of schemes or packages is based on the AFC North. It’s based on what the offenses are pulling out there and we have to play defense on. I’m also not afraid to make sure all of the other people are going to have to work on things that I’m never going to call. They’ve got to practice all week long on 4-3, 3-4, 2-2, all of that kind of stuff, and I’m not even going to do it next week. So that’s ok too.”

Not a fan, I presume.  The answer to your question is that his base defense is a 4-3,  but he at times will switch to a three -four.  Whatever it is you can be sure that it will be more sophisticated and effective than what we have been watching for the past four long years.

I know this guy because of his personality, his controversies and just that he is another a$$hole.

With that being said, is he really that great of a DC?  I saw the stats and it seems there are some mixed results.  Besides him being a complete dickhead, why do people love him/why is he a great hire?

2 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Didn’t the redskins screw Williams over a couple of times already in the past?

Money talks and Gruden is on thin ice, a bad start and Williams could get bumped to interim HC again.

Archived