Gregg Williams close to signing as DC

prime21

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

I think that’s exactly what Gase wants. He wants someone so good at defense and has the years under his belt that Gase won’t even have to worry about Defense. He can hand the keys over to Gregg so he can do his thing on offense.

Agree. I remember one thing Dolphins fans would bitch about was Gase wouldn’t even be watching his defense when they were out there.  He’d be on the bench looking at his tablet or photos of the offense getting ready for the next series.

33 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/while-redskins-hold-still-todd-bowles-gregg-williams-and-steve-wilks-all-got-new-jobs

From 6 am today which means it was written yesterday or earlier. I keep looking for info but Florham Park has been pretty quiet lately

Maybe the writer jumped the gun and didn’t read where it said he was in talks with NYJ? Idk 

15 hours ago, southtown24th said:

I know this guy because of his personality, his controversies and just that he is another a$$hole.

With that being said, is he really that great of a DC?  I saw the stats and it seems there are some mixed results.  Besides him being a complete dickhead, why do people love him/why is he a great hire?

Unfortunately these days are gone, but this is in his blood.

Football is still kill or be killed.

The Jets need to get this done,I think every Jets fan is going to feel much better about the Gase hire, once this is done. How many teams will be able to claim they have a offensive HC and a defensive HC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Yup.  I am hoping it gets done -- I think Williams is the kind of experienced DC that a guy like Gase cold Use.  Take full control of the defense and let Gase, the OC and QB coach work with Sam and the offense.

But given the two personalities involved, this could implode spectaularly and quickly if Williams and Gase clash.  I am optimistic it can work, but it would be risky.  No matter what happens, this team would be infinitiely more interesting to watch and to follow than they were under Bowles.

Buddy and Mike, thought they would do that with Rex.

Even though I don’t like Gregg Williams’ personality, I do like the idea of Gase hiring a guy to take care of the defense by himself.  Let Gase focus on coaching up Darnold and the designing the offense.  I’d be fine with this for a couple of seasons until Sam is firmly pointed in the right direction.  Then maybe Gase can start to get more involved in the defense.  

3 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Gase + Gregg + all-Black new unis...

This team will definitely have a new identity. 

If we can add some talent on both sides of the ball and with a last place schedule coming up . Next year could be pretty fun .  But it’s up to Mac from here. 

3 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

I'm a bit curious as to why Gase wouldn't lobby for  his former DC Vance Joseph? He's ok with Williams and has never met him? It's making  me nervous that the Jets owner and FO are meddling big time 

From everything we've seen so far that was part of the deal is taking the HC job.  Mac gets to choose your staff.

This is not going to end well!

4 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

I'm a bit curious as to why Gase wouldn't lobby for  his former DC Vance Joseph? He's ok with Williams and has never met him? It's making  me nervous that the Jets owner and FO are meddling big time 

Jesus you people are paranoid as ****.

Do you only hire people that you’ve work with previously?

Maybe he didn’t think Vance Joseph was that great?

Think about how contradictory your statement is. 

Have you ever thought to think that maybe the reason Williams hasn’t been announced is because Gase wants to wait until he meets with him? 

7 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

They’re preparing to hire their next head coach in 3 years and want him on staff already. 

2 hours ago, Copernicus said:

There's an article from the other day that Gase went out of his way to embaress Joseph when Miami played Denver in 2017, shades of Belichick / Mangini.

I think he's butt hurt over Joseph leaving him

2 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Jesus you people are paranoid as ****.

Do you only hire people that you’ve work with previously?

Maybe he didn’t think Vance Joseph was that great?

Think about how contradictory your statement is. 

Have you ever thought to think that maybe the reason Williams hasn’t been announced is because Gase wants to wait until he meets with him? 

Am I wrong wasn’t Joseph a HC candidate at the time of the Gase hire. Rather than waiting on a decision on Joseph both sides decided to pursue Williams?

11 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

OMG, what is wrong with you people. The Jets are actually  making good decisions  for once and you are ripping them for meddling? I know it's  like a gag reflex to do this anytime the FO asserts itself,  bit this is actually  a great decision.  Get over it. 

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

OMG, what is wrong with you people. The Jets are actually  making good decisions  for once and you are ripping them for meddling? I know it's  like a gag reflex to do this anytime the FO asserts itself,  bit this is actually  a great decision.  Get over it. 

So, letting the guy who, over the past 4 years, has built one of the worst roster in the NFL - not just hire a new HC but then to also choose that HC"s staff.

And you think that's a "great decision?"

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

So, letting the guy who, over the past 4 years, has built one of the worst roster in the NFL - not just hire a new HC but then to also choose that HC"s staff.

maybe he was talking about hiring gase over Rhule or Kliff

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

CJ wants most of these major decisions to be a group decision. So I doubt they are shoving a DC down his throat. They are probably working with a list of mutually agreed upon coaches. They are also probably given him full leeway on the OC since that’s not as important given Gase will essentially be the OC. 

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Fine, who would you like to have hired as the DC? It's really incredible. CJ and Mac could have hired Bill  Wash in his prime and you woukd still think it sucks. 

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

Fine, who would you like to have hired as the DC? It's really incredible. CJ and Mac could have hired Bill  Wash in his prime and you woukd still think it sucks. 

Actually if I remember correctly when Walsh was hired he had some detractors.

11 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

Actually if I remember correctly when Walsh was hired he had some detractors.

Some? Many. They said the "professor" didn't understand NFL football and his college schemes wouldn't work in the pros. They were wrong. 2-14 in season 1. 6-10 is season 2 with Montana. SB in season 3. How good would Walsh have been without Montana. Probably not nearly as good as he was with him  Gase has Darnold now. If he can't win with Darnold, he can't win.

43 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I am actually very optimistic about everything the Jets FO has done. Love the Gase hiring and potentially Williams. I definitely  didn't come off that way , you are not the only poster to repond to my post like this. Not criticizing, just curious. Was wondering if I was missing something (fallout with Gase and Joseph, comments from Jets FO, ect) 

Archived