Gregg Williams close to signing as DC

prime21

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, munchmemory said:

Watch what you wish for with Williams.  Guy is a loose cannon with a history of scumbag moves designed to injure players.  Not the kind of personality I would want on my team.

I want a bastsh*t crazy lunatic coaching the defense that holds players accountable.

After almost half a decade of Bowles and Rodgers, it’s overdue.

After 4 years of Bowles, between Gase and Williams, these Jet players are in for a rude awaking next season!

MaAIgBaS_bigger.jpgIan RapoportVerified account @RapSheet
FollowingFollowing @RapSheet
More

New #Jets coach Adam Gase is on the verge of a big hire: Former #Browns interim coach Gregg Williams is in talks with Gase to become their new defensive coordinator, sources say. Things are progressing in this direction, and those involved believe it’ll get done.

9 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Hopefully he won’t even get the chance to and we trade him. 

9 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

He may not be long for this team.

This could be very true for the right price. Or he ignites under Williams if hired. So much dogging it and stupid under Bowles. Greg would bring instant discipline, accountability and consequence.

Just now, Untouchable said:

I want a bastsh*t crazy lunatic coaching the defense that holds players accountable.

After almost half a decade of Bowles and Rodgers, it’s overdue.

Last word from me:  You can be tough/intimidating without being psychotic and dangerous.  I never respected the guy after the "events" in NOLA.  All I'm saying is that he's not my cup of tea.  I respect that others have a different opinion of the guy.

i havent read the first 3 pages but this is a GREAT hire...

underrated fact is that guys like Jamal Adams get an aggressive CEO of the D, so hiring of Gase which may have been a let down becomes a lot less of one. i love it....this is a McVay / Phillips type of a pairing that i think everyone is looking for now a days.

Just now, MasterChiefJets said:

This could be very true for the right price. Or he ignites under Williams if hired. So much dogging it and stupid and Bowles.

The prospect of a 4-3 seems surreal to me. What does it even mean?(I know what a 4-3 is) 

All I’ve known is 3-4 defense without a pass rusher. This is exciting. 

22 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Gase and Williams...anyone think we’re still going to have players showing up late for meetings or missing them entirely?

19 minutes ago, KRL said:

Will be nice to have a team that comes out of the locker room "nasty" every game

20 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Hol........EEEEEEEE........sh!t..

if this hire happens I would be very happy.

Would make my thoughts on Gase improve a large amount.

24 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

By Scott Patsko, cleveland.com

1. A slice of Buddy Ryan

You will hear Ryan mentioned a lot now that Williams is with the Browns. He has described his defense as taking what Ryan built with the 46 defense, and built off it.

When Williams became Jeff Fisher's defensive coordinator, Fisher wanted him to create a hybrid.

"I took George Allen, I took Buddy Ryan, I took Dick LeBeau. I took Bud Carson. I put them all together and now it's kind of a Gregg Williams way that we do things," Williams told NFL Network in 2016. "But there's more Buddy Ryan in everything I do defensively, schematically, than anything."

Here's Williams talking with NFL Network about how he has been influenced by Ryan.

2. Linebackers and safeties must adapt

A key to Williams' defense is having linebackers and safeties that can audible the defensive call to the offensive formation.

Perhaps the hiring of Williams makes extending the contract of linebacker Jamie Collins even more of a priority. Browns coaches raved this season about Collins' football IQ. It might also mean the Browns look for an experienced safety in free agency to lead the largely inexperienced group it had in 2016.

In St. Louis, Williams had linebacker James Laurinaitis handling audibles on the field.

"I tell everyone all the time when they ask what defense we're playing, we're playing the defense James calls, not what I call," Williams told therams.com in 2015.

That quote is from the video below. It's six minutes well spent if you want to learn the basics of the 4-3 defense and gain some insight into how Williams runs it.

3. Players need a notebook

Matt Bowen was a safety for Williams in Washington. In 2013, as an NFL writer for Bleacher Report, Bowen provided an insider's guide to Williams' defense.

According to Bowen, Browns defensive players had better be ready to take notes, because Williams' defense is complex.

"His meetings reminded me of college-level courses that combined chalkboard sessions with film work. I still have the notebooks from my time in Washington, and they are filled with concepts, blitzes, coverages and so on," Bowen wrote. "The meetings were no joke, and we were tested every day when the film started rolling. Williams had no problem putting you on the spot to answer questions, identify concepts or offensive schemes."

4. Always in attack mode

The signature of a Williams defense is that it's always attacking. Expect the Browns to blitz a lot. After the Rams hired Williams in 2014, NFLcom writer Bucky Brooks wrote that former players raved about his aggressive nature.

"On passing downs, Williams certainly isn't afraid to mix in a variety of blitzes from exotic looks - including some Okie fronts (3-4 or nickel 3-3 packages) - as well as the standard 4-2-5 nickel front," Brooks wrote. "He will order up Cover 0 all-out blitzes in any area of the field, which makes him the ultimate gambler as a play-caller."

However, as Bowen pointed out on Bleacher Report, this can be Williams' downfall. "Blitz too much and you can hang your defensive backs out to dry with no help anywhere on the field," Bowen wrote.

5. Scheme to his players' strengths

Browns head coach Hue Jackson mentioned on Sunday that Williams always gets the most out of his players. In some ways, he is similar to Jackson when it comes to versatility and creativity. When the Rams hired Williams, ESPN's Jeff Triplett wrote about his creative use of safety Roman Harper.

"One example that stands out most was the way he made safety Roman Harper into a two-time Pro Bowler by using him as a frequent blitzer and pseudo-linebacker," Triplett wrote. "Williams would also mix and match between a 4-3 and 3-4. His most famous example (of creativity) was the Super Bowl win over Indianapolis and Peyton Manning when he had different plans for the first half, the third quarter and the fourth quarter."

Love it, especially the last part

Just now, MasterChiefJets said:

Lee might get swallowed by the abyss.

or he may actually become the beast that i think he can be with good coaching. name all the players that improved under bowles...Adams who was going to be great anywhere and Henry Anderson who was miscast last year....Leo needs coaching.

11 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Last word from me:  You can be tough/intimidating without being psychotic and dangerous.  I never respected the guy after the "events" in NOLA.  All I'm saying is that he's not my cup of tea.  I respect that others have a different opinion of the guy.

I can tell you that no one is taking his brother's car on a road trip. 

The Germans are not invading Pearl Harbor on William's watch. 

Archived