Gregg Williams close to signing as DC

prime21

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be great if the Jets hire Williams, but why does it have to come with a change to 4-3?

Gase is credited with creating an offense to fit his QB and that was a selling point.  He did it with Tebow and a post-injury Peyton.  Why can't Williams do the same and have his scheme fit the Jets' personnel?

It never makes sense to me why in the NFL coaches are given a free pass to devalue and discard players (i.e., team assets) in the name of having something "fit their system."  Why aren't coaches using schemes to maximize the already in-house team assets?  That's what good coaching does.

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

Lee was suspended for banned substances-Substances of Abuse.  

If I am Chris Johnson thinking about entertaining the fans, and knowing my fans, hiring guys like Gase and Williams are good moves.  

These are the type of Coaches Jets fans want to see.  The passive, players friend routine, when accompanied with bad play, does not work.  Pete Carroll can pull it off, but as a starting point that is hard in NY, in the NFL.  

The players are not going to like it, but they need to find players that do.

All in all, if I had to predict, with this type of approach we will see a much better team.

My guess is that you see a much more serious Bowles next year in TB.  Why he acted like he did here, who knows?

Not PEDs?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm if he can keep smoking  weed without getting caught he will eat a lot an report at 220.

(JK thanks for clarifying.☺)

33 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Trumain Johnson has already stated in numerous other media that he loves Williams... he played with him in St. Louis... Tru wasn't the slacker the media made him out to be ... WIlliams and Lee are...

Oh I know he loved him, back before he has a big contract. I’m hoping he gets the best out of Trumane again. I just have my doubts that he Revis’d us.

18 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Rapoport is pretty good though. But you are right, when I posted the article on the front page I made sure to be clear it was a RapSheet report. Things can change, hopefully they don't.

To be clear, my comment wasn't about the site, just the reporting yes/no/yes/no emotional roller-coaster and our (fan) reactions to it, lol.

+1 on hoping they don't change, I do want this guy badly, especially with Gase.

Posted this in an earlier Gregg Williams thread, for those interested:

Going back to 2004 (when Williams took the DC job in Washington), here's how Williams' defenses have ranked, from Football Outsiders:

Washington (2004-07)

• 2004:  # 4
  • 2005:  # 3
  • 2006:  # 32
  • 2007:  # 7

Jacksonville (2008)

• 2008:  # 24

New Orleans (2009-11)

• 2009:  # 23
  • 2010:  # 10
  • 2011:  # 25

St. Louis (2012)

• 2012:  # 8

Tennessee (2013)

• 2013:  # 21

St. Louis/LA (2014-16)

• 2014:  # 6
  • 2015:  # 11
  • 2016:  # 17

Cleveland (2017-18)

• 2017:  # 16
  • 2018:  # 20

Summary (15 years as DC)

• Top 10 finishes:  6x
  • Middle of the Pack (11-20):  4x
  • Outside of Top 20:  5x

So, Mixed results.

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

At the very least, Trumaine Johnson would be in the proper system.  With the money we're paying him, it'd be nice not to have a sunken cost there. 

You know what was absolutely bizarre to listen to?   Bruce Arians intro speech to Tampa Bay.  I listened to it all because I love that dude.  One of the true class acts of the NFL.  Anywho, he was getting a lot of questions about scheme and system and his response?
We'll develop a scheme and system based on the strengths of the players.  I dont want to hear about what they cant do but tell me what they can do and let's get them in position to take advantage of that strength. 

Yet, he hired Todd Bowles as his DC, that's is the total opposite of what we watched for 4 years.  Baffling that Todd was drastically different than his mentor.  He was the quintessential square peg round hole even though he'd draft/acquire system talent and then totally ignore what they're good at.

Since 2006, Gregg Williams led defenses have been in the top ten in points allowed once. I’m befuddled as to why this hiring, if true, is a big deal.  He’s massively overrated here. 

Usually being in the top ten defenses statistically means you have a boring, run-oriented team eating up the clock. Not what the Saints had with Drew Brees.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Just now, JiF said:

You know what was absolutely bizarre to listen to?   Bruce Arians intro speech to Tampa Bay.  I listened to it all because I love that dude.  One of the true class acts of the NFL.  Anywho, he was getting a lot of questions about scheme and system and his response?
We'll develop a scheme and system based on the strengths of the players.  I dont want to hear about what they cant do but tell me what they can do and let's get them in position to take advantage of that strength. 

Yet, he hired Todd Bowles as his DC, that's is the total opposite of what we watched for 4 years.  Baffling that Todd was drastically different than his mentor.  He was the quintessential square peg round hole even though he'd draft/acquire system talent and then totally ignore what they're good at.

I think Bowles deferred to Kacy Rodgers far too much.  He was a fantastic DC under Arians in Arizona, and I expect he'll return to that stature in Tampa. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Going back to 2004 (when Williams took the DC job in Washington), here's how Williams' defenses have ranked, from Football Outsiders:

Washington (2004-07)

Jacksonville (2008)

New Orleans (2009-11)

St. Louis (2012)

Tennessee (2013)

St. Louis/LA (2014-16)

Cleveland (2017-18)

Summary (15 years as DC)

So, Mixed results.

He’s all over the board. Wonder what Rex’s stats are?

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Washington (2004-07)

Jacksonville (2008)

New Orleans (2009-11)

St. Louis (2012)

Tennessee (2013)

St. Louis/LA (2014-16)

Cleveland (2017-18)

Summary (15 years as DC)

So, Mixed results.

Out of curiosity, in the years with better rankings, did he have better players? Asking for a friend (ddoT selwoB).

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

I am just glad that I won't have to hear him on any NFL broadcast next year. That was rough.

Just now, Bruce Harper said:

Usually being in the top ten defenses statistically means you have a boring, run-oriented team eating up the clock. Not what the Saints had with Drew Brees. 

See my post with his year-to-year defensive DVOA rankings, which attempts to account for such variables:

New Orleans (2009-11)

3 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

He’s all over the board. Wonder what Rex’s stats are?

Rex's defense was top 10 each of his first 4 years in New York.  Then it dropped to # 16 and then # 22 in his final 2 seasons.

In Buffalo, the D was ranked # 28 both years. 

His final 3 seasons as DC in Baltimore, his D was # 3, # 6, # 1, # 12, and # 3, respectively.

26 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Darron Lee is not a slacker the defensive schemes the morons Bowles and Rodgers ran did not bring out the best in him. 

Are you serious??? Do you watch the games... he has no idea how to diagnose a play... he has showed no ability to call plays and he has a huge weed problem, as it takes 4 times of getting caught to get suspended... 

6 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Oh I know he loved him, back before he has a big contract. I’m hoping he gets the best out of Trumane again. I just have my doubts that he Revis’d us.

Tru was hurt all year... did he get burnt a couple times before his injury... yes... but he played very well the first few games before the chronic injuries... But he was a difference maker even after his injury... I mean what games are you guys watching...

2 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Are you serious??? Do you watch the games... he has no idea how to diagnose a play... he has showed no ability to call plays and he has a huge weed problem, as it takes 4 times of getting caught to get suspended... 

Remember when everyone was a like,.."yo, peep Lee taking over play calls" in like week 4 of Training Camp?  And I was like, "yo, Avery Williamson will take over by week 3"....and Avery Williamson took over before the ending of training camp.

Lee sucks. 

2 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

How would you know what ability he has to "call plays"? And what does that mean?

Diagnose plays? Linebacker is a reaction position based off reads. Are you saying he can't read a play? 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

This would be excellent.  But as we saw with the Head Coach search, lets not count any chickens before they hatch.  There is ALOT of B.S. "sources" thrown about, and 99% turn out to not happen.  I want this, and would applaud it, but I'm not going to start circle jerking till it's official.

What BS sources? There were no announcements the Jets were close to making a deal

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think Bowles deferred to Kacy Rodgers far too much.  He was a fantastic DC under Arians in Arizona, and I expect he'll return to that stature in Tampa. 

This was my thought for quite a  while also, but who in their right mind {no jokes please} would defer to their assistant coach to the point where they ultimately lost their job?  I am still baffled by the success in Arizona,  but four painful years of  evidence tells me, to a large degree, it had to be Bowles.  I think Tampa is going to be a disaster,  he's not going to be dealing with a lot  of  talent to start with and they have cap issues.

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

How would you know what ability he has to "call plays"? And what does that mean?

Diagnose plays? Linebacker is a reaction position based off reads. Are you saying he can't read a play? 

Meaning he was out of position pre-snap on a lot of plays... He doesn't have the smarts to diagnose the pre-snap hot route... He was always pushing the wrong gap... and he is the play caller of the defense and such has the ability to audible... AND MOST OF ALL.... He is the responsiblity on almost every Wheel route... and when teams run the same wheel route 2 plays in a row you would think a person that understands football would adjust... AND Has a problem of not being able to cut out weed for 4 freaking months.... I mean seriously WTF. 

Archived