Gregg Williams close to signing as DC

prime21

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think people have overrated Williams a bit because look at his rankings over the last decade....however, in today’s NFL, Rankings themselves are overrated. It’s all about getting key stops on 3rd down, forcing turnovers and getting to the QB. I think Williams would be a good hire because he will bring the no nonsense approach this team needs and he’s super experienced so he can get his defense installed in no-time. He needs smart players for his defense as he likes to show a ton of different looks and mixes up his coverages a lot. We’ll be disciplined and nasty on defense which the lack of those two things are major reasons why the D has underachieved as a unit...

He does seem like the wear out his welcome type of intense personality so it will be interesting to see how he and top dog Gase will mesh....

54 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Seriously, He is a pothead that has no interest in being good... When Adams was complaining about how some people didn't want to put in the effort he was 100% talking about Lee and Williams. 2 High profile names who wouldn't be cut but were lazy in reading defenses... Pre-snap alignment and worst of all in year 3 cannot call plays... when he was drafted to be 'The Man'. How can anyone still defend that A-hole.... Getting suspended for weed just shows to the level of incompetence of this guy...  You have to be caught 4 times to be suspended.... Seriously, that shows that he just doesn't give a sh*t.

It's always funny when someone who doesn't know what he's talking about acts like he knows what he's talking about.

25 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I give this trio of Macc, Gase, and Williams a max of 3 years before they're all gone and we're starting over.  Not saying all of them will last the 3 years, one or more might be gone in 1. Just saying all three will be gone by the end of the 2021 season.

But hey, maybe we'll get 1-2 playoff appearances out of the deal. 

...and that's about the most positive post I've seen from you in quite some time. You must be coming around on this whole thing. You've gone from "I hate everyone and everything I don't want" to "maybe this will be a short lived disaster!" You're mellowing right before our eyes. :rolleyes:

36 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

If this happens you can bet on us taking Q. Williams in the draft and basically replacing one of our best players with another player, thereby not improving much at all.

If he slides, there’s a chance we take Quinnen Williams regardless.

Greg Williams was the rams DC when Aaron Donald was drafted, and knows the value of an interior pass rush.  Personally, I’d like to see both Leo AND Quinnen on the inside; can’t double both w/o a free rusher on the outside. 

34 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I'm sure this has been labored over in the thread, but the move to a 4-3... too little too late? 4 years ago, absolutely... but do we have a true 4-3 Ends right now? Bosa and Allen (especially) aren't great ends and worse 4-3 OLBs. 

We don’t have good edge players for either scheme. Jenkins is passable but no reason to question converting to a 4-3. He and Anderson are the only two that would be negatively impacted. We believe Leo and Lee would be positively impacted. 

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

If the Jets hire Williams and move to a base 4-3, I wonder if Ziggy Ansah becomes a high priority in FA.

Big problem with him is the nagging injuries. Otherwise he’s a beast when he’s on the field.

I also think the Jets would snatch up Quinnen Williams in a heartbeat if he’s there at #3.

DE Ziggy Ansah

DT Quinnen Williams 

DT Mike Pennel

DE Leonard Williams

That’s pretty damn enticing. I mean, we’re going to be taking a defensive player if we stay at #3 regardless.

If we’re running the 4-3, then I suddenly become much more open to an interior DL like Q. Williams or Ed Oliver.

if the Jets go to a 4-3 Williams will be moved inside he's too big and slow to play DE. Then the Jets go out and get some real DE's in the 260 to 270 range with speed to rush the passer. This will also work in the sense we can move Lee to the outside where he belongs in the type of defense he belongs and Williamson will have the Middle

Just now, TeddEY said:

Because of all the incredible 1st round talent we have on defense just waiting to be coached properly?

I sense the strong sarcasm, but there is definitely an opportunity for improvement simply with coaching and motivation on defense.  I'd be interested to see what Williams could get out of guys like Leo, Trumaine Johnson, Darron Lee, etc.  It certainly can't be worse than what Bowles got out of them.

2 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

If he slides, there’s a chance we take Quinnen Williams regardless.

Greg Williams was the rams DC when Aaron Donald was drafted, and knows the value of an interior pass rush.  Personally, I’d like to see both Leo AND Quinnen on the inside; can’t double both w/o a free rusher on the outside. 

Think you may be in right church, wrong pew. My bet , if they go that way, is Ed Oliver.

3 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Because of all the incredible 1st round talent we have on defense just waiting to be coached properly?

so you still downplay the importance of a competent HC and DC. I think we have a lot more talent than you think on Defense. Remains to be seen I guess

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

I sense the strong sarcasm, but there is definitely an opportunity for improvement simply with coaching and motivation on defense.  I'd be interested to see what Williams could get out of guys like Leo, Trumaine Johnson, Darron Lee, etc.  It certainly can't be worse than what Bowles got out of them. 

As Billy Preston said  'Nothing from nothing leaves nothing."

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Certainly can't be worse.

But, better?

6 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

if the Jets go to a 4-3 Williams will be moved inside he's too big and slow to play DE. Then the Jets go out and get some real DE's in the 260 to 270 range with speed to rush the passer. This will also work in the sense we can move Lee to the outside where he belongs in the type of defense he belongs and Williamson will have the Middle

Jordan Jenkins is 259lbs. He could add a few pounds to his frame if needed.

i'm trying to picture who our mike is in Greg's scheme... Wlliamson, i guess? 

Leo/Anderson/Shepherd/Jenkins?.  (..Kaufusi?)

Lee/Williamson/Copeland?

It's amazing actually when you think about it, not only was entire D roster poor fit for 3-4... BUT ALSO somehow a 4-3 as well

How the fck pull that off?!?!

12 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

In a very odd arrangement where the GM and Head Coach each report to the Owner....so will Gregg Williams. lol

Thanks to you I now have the image in my mind of the 3 of them in chairs outside CJs office waiting for his assistant to tell one of them he can go on in.. They're all sitting there with their heads down, ignoring each other as they fiddle with their phones. 

2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

so you still downplay the importance of a competent HC and DC. I think we have a lot more talent than you think on Defense. Remains to be seen I guess

Name a player let go by this "incompetent" staff, who went on to success elsewhere.

Hell, name the last Jets player, from any of these "incompetent" staffs in recent history, who we let go and when on to success elsewhere.

The closest you can come to is James Farrior, and that was 17 years ago.  Unless maybe you count Danny Woodhead, who never actually played as a Jet,  But, not one single Macc draft pick who's left the Jets has become successful elsewhere, which, if it were just about coaching, as is always your default, you'd think Hackenberg, Maudlin, Donahue, Smith, Hansen, Stewart, etc would be successful elsewhere, where they have competent coaching.

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

TBD.

Some players get second chances on other teams.  Some simply get them with a new coach.  If guys like Leo, D. Lee, etc. can't perform under Williams then they're done.  I would think they know that.  

If the Jets draft a pass rusher at 3, or sign one in FA, and they are good.  The defense will be a lot better.

If they don't, the defense is going to look largely the same.

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Lee/Williamson/Copeland?

It's amazing actually when you think about it, not only was entire D roster poor fit for 3-4... BUT ALSO somehow a 4-3 as well

Judging from how open TEs generally look against our D, I think it's because we run a 3-3.

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Lee/Williamson/Copeland?

mike-maccagnan-aac2e258da3f2d26.jpg

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Lee/Williamson/Copeland?

They were playing a pretty good amount of 2-4-5 last season. I forgot what it's called 

If they do hire Williams he is known to design the defense around the players 

8 minutes ago, section314 said:

Think you may be in right church, wrong pew. My bet , if they go that way, is Ed Oliver.

I like Oliver. But Quinnen had better production in the SEC than Oliver had playing against Fresno State, Rice, San Diego State, etc. 

There’s a reason he’s getting the buzz he’s getting. He’s legit. 

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Lee/Williamson/Copeland?

Isn't there a LB from LSU that is a fringe top 10 guy that is a tackling machine? NOt at #3, but if we did trade back a few spots?

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Name a player let go by this "incompetent" staff, who went on to success elsewhere.

Hell, name the last Jets player, from any of these "incompetent" staffs in recent history, who we let go and when on to success elsewhere.

The closest you can come to is James Farrior, and that was 17 years ago.  Unless maybe you count Danny Woodhead, who never actually played as a Jet,  But, not one single Macc draft pick who's left the Jets has become successful elsewhere, which, if it were just about coaching, as is always your default, you'd think Hackenberg, Maudlin, Donahue, Smith, Hansen, Stewart, etc would be successful elsewhere, where they have competent coaching.

not sure why you are talking about players that were cut or released or let go via FA. I was simply talking about having a competent HC and the chance we might have more talent than you think. I feel if we actually do Hire Greg Williams you will see a much bigger impact on the defensive side of the ball than we have seen the last 4 years. We can revisit this mid season next year :)

Archived