NO ONE Wanted McCarthy

JohnnyLV

I don't love the Gase hiring. Especially combined with Williams, it could be lightning in a bottle or a dumpster fire for the next 2 years where we are looking for a new GM and coach.

It seemed most wanted McCarthy, and I am very happy he is going else where. He would have gradually killed this franchise over next 4 years.

I know most wanted him, and I see everyone is building all these little explanations and little conspiracy theories on why he was not hired.

The truth is that the NFL saw what I did, and no one really wanted. him.

Browns had some interest, but only if he accepted Kitchens as OC, meaning they were not confident in the thing he is known for most.

The Jets interviewed and quickly moved on to other candidates. The Jets seemed to really like Kingsbury, seemingly close to hiring Ruhle and hired Gase, which means AT BEST McCarty was 4th. I think his time as a HC is over. The NFL has just passed him by.

I still dont love the Gase hire since it is so prone to completely failing, but I am so glad we didnt buy the fools gold of McCarthy and no one else did either. 

I will credit his agent for doing everything he could (unsuccessfully) to make it look like he was turning down teams not the other way around.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The truth is you don't know what you're talking about. For starters he turned down the Cardinals. You must have blocked that out your memory because it doesn't fit your narrative. Let's be real, if McCarthy really wanted to coach, just to have a job, he could have reached out to every team that had an opening and been a coach somewhere. He was picky, and only wanted certain situations he liked. He didn't get the Jets job, but it doesn't mean he's not a great head coach, or that he won't get a call in a year from now. Let me tell you something, if those young McVay clones look like they're in over their heads next season and Grampa Vic Fangio is kicking ass, the let's find the next Sean McVay trend will come to a screeching halt. Especially if McVay himself still hasn't won a playoff game.

McCarthy’s reputation with diehard Jets fans and diehard NFL fans was day and night.

Unlike you, I’m coming around a bit more on Gase. He still has some negatives, but he’s young enough to fix them. McCarthy was worst case scenario for me. He’s a finished product. His negatives will stay negatives. Rodgers being an ass was way overblown here. Yes, that was part of the reason he lost his job, but the main reason is because what he’s done for 13 years was no longer working in today’s NFL. If not for Rodgers repeatedly saving his ass, he’d have been fired long ago.

The truth is you don't know what you're talking about. For starters he turned down the Cardinals. You must have blocked that out your memory because it doesn't fit your narrative. Let's be real, if McCarthy really wanted to coach, just to have a job, he could have reached out to every team that had an opening and been a coach somewhere. He was picky, and only wanted certain situations he liked. He didn't get the Jets job, but it doesn't mean he's not a great head coach, or that he won't get a call in a year from now. Let me tell you something, if those young McVay clones look like they're in over their heads next season and Grampa Vic Fangio is kicking ass, the let's find the next Sean McVay trend will come to a screeching halt. Especially if McVay himself still hasn't won a playoff game.

I know the Cardinals GM has a bit of an alcohol problem, but how drunk must he have been to offer his own job to McCarthy?

Other than the Jets, He didn’t want those other teams. Also, he turned down full control of the cardinals and reports that he turned down Cleveland cause they wanted him to keep Kitchens. I don’t get the bashing as if this guy is Rich Kotite. You want to get behind Gase that’s great, but reality is he is a loser according to his HC record (23-25) Let that sink in. You can make all the excuses you want about the dolphins, but his offense was 26,28 and 31st so there’s that. The writers such as Manish like to spin the narrative because McCarthy would not of given this piece of garbage the time of day and that’s why he trashed him. He did the same thing with Marrone cause cimini would of had access. That’s what Manish cares about and not wins and losses. McCarthy has a higher winning percentage than Sean Payton, Andy Reid, John Harbaugh and Pete Carrol. Winning percentage is FACTUAL and cannot be distorted one way or the other. This leads me to believe fans saying on to McCarthy would say no to those coaches as well. Please don’t tell me you would choose Gase over those above mentioned coaches. As fans, we want to get behind Gase I get it, but stop with the McCarthy basing cause as of today Gase couldn’t shine McCarthy shoes. The writers can spin the narrative any way they want cause they need access, but smart fans see through it and look at factual evidence and know McCarthy was a much more qualified candidate.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

NO ONE wanted Gase as their Head Coach either.

You and didn’t that’s for sure. As fans, we have no choice but to get behind the guy. I’m rooting like heck as other fans that he turns out to be a great coach with multiple Super Bowls. With that being said, I don’t get cocky Jets fans bashing McCarthy as if he was terrible. The new coach is a loser according to his record (as was Bowles) What makes Gase a better HC than McCarthy? The only saving grace for Gase is if Williams comes and coaches the defense and Boyer stays on as Special teams coach. The eye test will come in September and I hope his offense is ready to go. The excuses are over, it’s time to win. Time will tell.

7 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I don't love the Gase hiring. Especially combined with Williams, it could be lightning in a bottle or a dumpster fire for the next 2 years where we are looking for a new GM and coach.

It seemed most wanted McCarthy, and I am very happy he is going else where. He would have gradually killed this franchise over next 4 years.

I know most wanted him, and I see everyone is building all these little explanations and little conspiracy theories on why he was not hired.

Browns had some interest, but only if he accepted Kitchens as OC, meaning they were not confident in the thing he is known for most.

The Jets interviewed and quickly moved on to other candidates. The Jets seemed to really like Kingsbury, seemingly close to hiring Ruhle and hired Gase, which means AT BEST McCarty was 4th. I think his time as a HC is over. The NFL has just passed him by.

I still dont love the Gase hire since it is so prone to completely failing, but I am so glad we didnt buy the fools gold of McCarthy and no one else did either. 

I will credit his agent for doing everything he could (unsuccessfully) to make it look like he was turning down teams not the other way around.

Aaron Rodgers posters on your wall huH?‍♂️ 2 Cali boys love ?

NO ONE wanted Gase as their Head Coach either.

No one wanted LaFluer either. Wait, no one wanted kitchens either. Hmm actually, no one wanted fangio either. Ya know what? No one wanted zac Taylor either.
The only one anyone wanted was KK due to all of his experience I think.

Random thoughts as I’ve been quiet with all the craziness lately:

I think we can all agree that ANYONE is better than Bowles(I’m still amazed at how bad he was) and that none of this really matters until we see results.

It’s great that things are progressing and to root for this team but we shouldn’t fall into the trap of blind optimism/homerism. We have a long/difficult offseason ahead of us that would be tough for even the best GMs with all of our holes/resigning/scheme change impact of personnel.

We are still being led by Mac when it comes to the roster/draft(some think that’s ok but I think it’s a disaster). To be fair, like I said, I can’t kill him for only having a decent offseason given the hole that we are starting in with resigns because even a good GM would struggle with this task. This situation is squarely on Mac(why he should have been fired) but if giving a clean slate, I can’t expect him to perform a miracle that most GMs could never perform. 

The scheme change on defense and possibly o-line blocking scheme may lead to a rough year one. Bart Scott has said many times that our players are not football smart (specifically on defense) so installing a new scheme with a brash DC may be really rough the first year. 

If EVERYTHING goes just right, sure we can make the playoffs but people should be realistic about our situation. We need 2 years given all these changes and the draft is the only way to speed things up. Unfortunately, we have the worst drafting in the league outside the 1st round so there is valid reason for concern and sticking our collective heads in the sand would not be wise. Let’s just hope for the best and not be unrealistic.

The past is the past and as much as I hate Mac, I can’t kill him for mediocre FA results given this insanely difficult offseason he’s about to take on. I’d be happy with that honestly. The situation is self inflicted yes but we are stuck with Mac. Let’s hope he doesn’t continue ruining this team and learns how to draft.

6 hours ago, johnnysd said:

including about 3/5ths of the Jet fans who post here---me included, actually.  But I admit I knew nothing about Gase, and am finding positives as I scrounge around

13 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Arizona was ready to give him complete control.  McCarthy said he wasn't interested and pretty much informed the world early on that his only interest was in Jets or Browns (translation: Darnold or Mayfield.  He had zero interest in Rosen.)  What team is going to step up and solicit him after they already know he will say no?    Your narrative doesn't conform to what happened there.  After the fact reasoning doesn't always work.  McCarthy was not interested in other teams... Not the other way around as you posted.  

You are forgetting that he will earn $7 million from Green Bay in 2019 by hanging out at home with the wife and kids.  I don't know how offsets work with HC's but why would he go somewhere he doesn't want for less money when he can pocket $7 mill and then make a selection among the 2020 teams who need a HC?  Only Darnold or Mayfield would have been worth it to him.  

Basically, your narrative is contradictory to logic and to what little evidence we have of what actually went down.

5 hours ago, The Troll said:

McCarthy’s reputation with diehard Jets fans and diehard NFL fans was day and night.

Unlike you, I’m coming around a bit more on Gase. He still has some negatives, but he’s young enough to fix them. McCarthy was worst case scenario for me. He’s a finished product. His negatives will stay negatives. Rodgers being an ass was way overblown here. Yes, that was part of the reason he lost his job, but the main reason is because what he’s done for 13 years was no longer working in today’s NFL. If not for Rodgers repeatedly saving his ass, he’d have been fired long ago.

I get the feeling that McCarthy would not have lasted this long if Rodgers didn’t keep bailing him out.  

I give mccagnan a lot of credit for this hire, he didn’t take the easy way out with McCarthy, and he didn’t hire a guy right out of college b/c that’s the hip thing to do.  

Mike McCarthy is not that good of a HC thats why he's unemployed today. 

Mike McCarthy obviously wanted full control which he has not earned or deserves. 

I wish fans and media would stop badgering the Jets over passing on this guy. 

He won nothing recently with Aaron Rodgers that says a lot about him. 

The NFL has passed him on by. 

@Green DNA @Kevin L really dude/dudette 

He turned down the Arizona interview. The Browns wanted him but they wanted to retain kitchens which McCarthy didnt want to be decided for him.  Look ive moved on an have accepted Gase but lets not act like McCarthy was someone who no one wanted,thats silly.  The media and some people in GB definetly went out of their way to make sure he didnt get this job. Manish Mehta is a perfect example 

Just now, Jets723 said:

He turned down the Arizona interview. The Browns wanted him but they wanted to retain kitchens which McCarthy didnt want to be decided for him.  Look ive moved on an have accepted Gase but lets not act like McCarthy was someone who no one wanted,thats silly.  The media and some people in GB definetly went out of their way to make sure he didnt get this job. Manish Mehta is a perfect example 

According to the O.P.  all of that was fabricated by McCarthy's agent.  ?

That's some comedy gold, right there.  

2 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

GB did a good job off blackballing him. You would think the stuff that was sad dies down NY next year for him..

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

NY Jets record and game play should have blackballed Todd Bowles for life if that were true. 

51 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

No one wanted LaFluer either. Wait, no one wanted kitchens either. Hmm actually, no one wanted fangio either. Ya know what? No one wanted zac Taylor either.
The only one anyone wanted was KK due to all of his experience I think.

False equivalences. Everyone knows LaFluer was the shiny object. 

15 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

GB did a good job off blackballing him. You would think the stuff that was sad dies down by next year for him..

Yeah, if only these billion dollar teams has access to the Packers game film and could see all the brilliant coaching McCarthy did the last few years they would have been kicking down his door for a job. 

Why can't these teams see what you see so clearly? Very frustrating I'm sure.

Yeah, if only these billion dollar teams has access to the Packers game film and could see all the brilliant coaching McCarthy did the last few years they would have been kicking down his door for a job. 
Why can't these teams see what you see so clearly? Very frustrating I'm sure.
It's all just speculation, the bad stuff said about him turned teams away. I'm curious though if CJ heard about them before or after their interview.

Mike McCarthy is not that good of a HC thats why he's unemployed today. 
Mike McCarthy obviously wanted full control which he has not earned or deserves. 
I wish fans and media would stop badgering the Jets over passing on this guy. 
He won nothing recently with Aaron Rodgers that says a lot about him. 
The NFL has passed him on by. 
[mention=5594]Green DNA[/mention] [mention=19865]Kevin L[/mention] really dude/dudette 

He has 1 super bowl ring and the 3rd highest winning percentage of all the HC’s from last year. He gets credit for developing Rodgers. Gase is a loser according to his record. Super bowl ring, all the division titles and 3rd highest winning percentage among all 2018 nfl HC are FACTS. Would you take Andy Reid? He went 4-12 and 8-8 his last 2 years in Philly. The Chiefs are the #1 seed. Would you take Gase over Andy reid?

Objectively with 2 consecutive HoF QBs, McCarthy did less with more better than anyone. Rodgers was basically calling his own plays at the end, Favre was doing that anyway. In Giants 2 Super Bowl runs, McCarthy's Packers lost the NFC title game at home twice as heavy favorites.

And the word is his offense is the basic WCO Bill Walsh ran with the Niners 30 years ago with not much in the way of updates. 2nd hand from a stat geek; the guy has not updated the routes from that Walsh playbook. Ever. Recall the WCO was designed for a QB with Walsh's Bengals that hurt his arm and couldn't throw long; short timing routes. Darnold doesn't have that problem. What ever else you can say about Gase, he isn't bound to a system. And that's a good thing. 

Make no mistake; McCarthy would have been an upgrade. But there are red flags galore. He does not scream innovative. And while he's not an old guy, there is part of me that fears he does see the exit sign and this might have been the last big payday he gets on the way out. 

1 hour ago, JetsYanks13 said:

Other than the Jets, He didn’t want those other teams. Also, he turned down full control of the cardinals and reports that he turned down Cleveland cause they wanted him to keep Kitchens. I don’t get the bashing as if this guy is Rich Kotite. You want to get behind Gase that’s great, but reality is he is a loser according to his HC record (23-25) Let that sink in. You can make all the excuses you want about the dolphins, but his offense was 26,28 and 31st so there’s that. The writers such as Manish like to spin the narrative because McCarthy would not of given this piece of garbage the time of day and that’s why he trashed him. He did the same thing with Marrone cause cimini would of had access. That’s what Manish cares about and not wins and losses. McCarthy has a higher winning percentage than Sean Payton, Andy Reid, John Harbaugh and Pete Carrol. Winning percentage is FACTUAL and cannot be distorted one way or the other. This leads me to believe fans saying on to McCarthy would say no to those coaches as well. Please don’t tell me you would choose Gase over those above mentioned coaches. As fans, we want to get behind Gase I get it, but stop with the McCarthy basing cause as of today Gase couldn’t shine McCarthy shoes. The writers can spin the narrative any way they want cause they need access, but smart fans see through it and look at factual evidence and know McCarthy was a much more qualified candidate. 

I agree with you. #FakeNews vs. Math.  Spin masters. It is what it is, but reality is hard to hide. 

14 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

He has 1 super bowl ring and the 3rd highest winning percentage of all the HC’s from last year. He gets credit for developing Rodgers. Gase is a loser according to his record. Super bowl ring, all the division titles and 3rd highest winning percentage among all 2018 nfl HC are FACTS. Would you take Andy Reid? He went 4-12 and 8-8 his last 2 years in Philly. The Chiefs are the #1 seed. Would you take Gase over Andy reid?

NFL head coaches are getting younger is the trend or else Tom Coughlin would be on the sidelines somewhere. 

Mike McCarthy didn't seem like the right fit for our 21 year old QB it seems. 

16 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

I have doubts the Cardinals ever offered him full control without even an interview. La Canfora reported it so its probably wrong 

There is one report that he was offered full control and another report that he was asked to come in for an interview. I find it it hard to believe the cards were willing to give him complete control over everything without even an interview. It sounds like a McCarthy leak to me. 

Only Jet Fans, after Gase has been hired and a press conference set,  would bring up again about how No One Wanted McCarthy. Is this attention seeking at this point?

I wanted McCarthy, but I'm on board with Gase and we should move on. Especially since people are settling down and the staff is being assembled.

However, as I quoted two days ago, Francesa stated sources were confirming that "angry people" were trying to hurt McCarthy's search. For those who missed it, below is the paraphrase with the link to his opening two days ago. I know some people don't like Francesa but he sounded pretty on point: (I quoted this in 8NFL HC jobs were availbe

To paraphrase: Some of the stuff coming out of Green Bay clearly hurt McCarthy. - there was a trail with some angry people that went out of their way to hurt his candidacy out of Green Bay. This mainly focused on relationship stuff, football stuff, game management, philosophy that hurt him everywhere on this coaching go round. There was not enough time to diffuse it and too fresh in a lot of people. It had nothing to do with demands or wanting authority, but the Jets did not like what they were hearing. 

Taking the year off will allow him to settle down with family and open up doors for next year. 

https://wfan.radio.com/articles/wfan-mike-francesa-reacts-new-york-jets-hiring-adam-gase

Archived