Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
johnnysd

NO ONE Wanted McCarthy

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

I don't love the Gase hiring. Especially combined with Williams, it could be lightning in a bottle or a dumpster fire for the next 2 years where we are looking for a new GM and coach.

It seemed most wanted McCarthy, and I am very happy he is going else where. He would have gradually killed this franchise over next 4 years.

I know most wanted him, and I see everyone is building all these little explanations and little conspiracy theories on why he was not hired.

The truth is that the NFL saw what I did, and no one really wanted. him.

Browns had some interest, but only if he accepted Kitchens as OC, meaning they were not confident in the thing he is known for most.

The Jets interviewed and quickly moved on to other candidates. The Jets seemed to really like Kingsbury, seemingly close to hiring Ruhle and hired Gase, which means AT BEST McCarty was 4th. I think his time as a HC is over. The NFL has just passed him by.

I still dont love the Gase hire since it is so prone to completely failing, but I am so glad we didnt buy the fools gold of McCarthy and no one else did either. 

I will credit his agent for doing everything he could (unsuccessfully) to make it look like he was turning down teams not the other way around.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McCarthy’s reputation with diehard Jets fans and diehard NFL fans was day and night.

Unlike you, I’m coming around a bit more on Gase. He still has some negatives, but he’s young enough to fix them. McCarthy was worst case scenario for me. He’s a finished product. His negatives will stay negatives. Rodgers being an ass was way overblown here. Yes, that was part of the reason he lost his job, but the main reason is because what he’s done for 13 years was no longer working in today’s NFL. If not for Rodgers repeatedly saving his ass, he’d have been fired long ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The truth is you don't know what you're talking about. For starters he turned down the Cardinals. You must have blocked that out your memory because it doesn't fit your narrative. Let's be real, if McCarthy really wanted to coach, just to have a job, he could have reached out to every team that had an opening and been a coach somewhere. He was picky, and only wanted certain situations he liked. He didn't get the Jets job, but it doesn't mean he's not a great head coach, or that he won't get a call in a year from now. Let me tell you something, if those young McVay clones look like they're in over their heads next season and Grampa Vic Fangio is kicking ass, the let's find the next Sean McVay trend will come to a screeching halt. Especially if McVay himself still hasn't won a playoff game.


I know the Cardinals GM has a bit of an alcohol problem, but how drunk must he have been to offer his own job to McCarthy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NO ONE wanted Gase as their Head Coach either.

You and didn’t that’s for sure. As fans, we have no choice but to get behind the guy. I’m rooting like heck as other fans that he turns out to be a great coach with multiple Super Bowls. With that being said, I don’t get cocky Jets fans bashing McCarthy as if he was terrible. The new coach is a loser according to his record (as was Bowles) What makes Gase a better HC than McCarthy? The only saving grace for Gase is if Williams comes and coaches the defense and Boyer stays on as Special teams coach. The eye test will come in September and I hope his offense is ready to go. The excuses are over, it’s time to win. Time will tell.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I don't love the Gase hiring. Especially combined with Williams, it could be lightning in a bottle or a dumpster fire for the next 2 years where we are looking for a new GM and coach.

It seemed most wanted McCarthy, and I am very happy he is going else where. He would have gradually killed this franchise over next 4 years.

I know most wanted him, and I see everyone is building all these little explanations and little conspiracy theories on why he was not hired.

The truth is that the NFL saw what I did, and no one really wanted. him.

Browns had some interest, but only if he accepted Kitchens as OC, meaning they were not confident in the thing he is known for most.

The Jets interviewed and quickly moved on to other candidates. The Jets seemed to really like Kingsbury, seemingly close to hiring Ruhle and hired Gase, which means AT BEST McCarty was 4th. I think his time as a HC is over. The NFL has just passed him by.

I still dont love the Gase hire since it is so prone to completely failing, but I am so glad we didnt buy the fools gold of McCarthy and no one else did either. 

I will credit his agent for doing everything he could (unsuccessfully) to make it look like he was turning down teams not the other way around.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Aaron Rodgers posters on your wall huH💁‍♂️ 2 Cali boys love 🙃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NO ONE wanted Gase as their Head Coach either.

No one wanted LaFluer either. Wait, no one wanted kitchens either. Hmm actually, no one wanted fangio either. Ya know what? No one wanted zac Taylor either.
The only one anyone wanted was KK due to all of his experience I think.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I don't love the Gase hiring. Especially combined with Williams, it could be lightning in a bottle or a dumpster fire for the next 2 years where we are looking for a new GM and coach.

It seemed most wanted McCarthy, and I am very happy he is going else where. He would have gradually killed this franchise over next 4 years.

I know most wanted him, and I see everyone is building all these little explanations and little conspiracy theories on why he was not hired.

The truth is that the NFL saw what I did, and no one really wanted. him.

Browns had some interest, but only if he accepted Kitchens as OC, meaning they were not confident in the thing he is known for most.

The Jets interviewed and quickly moved on to other candidates. The Jets seemed to really like Kingsbury, seemingly close to hiring Ruhle and hired Gase, which means AT BEST McCarty was 4th. I think his time as a HC is over. The NFL has just passed him by.

I still dont love the Gase hire since it is so prone to completely failing, but I am so glad we didnt buy the fools gold of McCarthy and no one else did either. 

I will credit his agent for doing everything he could (unsuccessfully) to make it look like he was turning down teams not the other way around.

 

 

 

 

 

 

including about 3/5ths of the Jet fans who post here---me included, actually.  But I admit I knew nothing about Gase, and am finding positives as I scrounge around

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I don't love the Gase hiring. Especially combined with Williams, it could be lightning in a bottle or a dumpster fire for the next 2 years where we are looking for a new GM and coach.

It seemed most wanted McCarthy, and I am very happy he is going else where. He would have gradually killed this franchise over next 4 years.

I know most wanted him, and I see everyone is building all these little explanations and little conspiracy theories on why he was not hired.

The truth is that the NFL saw what I did, and no one really wanted. him.

Browns had some interest, but only if he accepted Kitchens as OC, meaning they were not confident in the thing he is known for most.

The Jets interviewed and quickly moved on to other candidates. The Jets seemed to really like Kingsbury, seemingly close to hiring Ruhle and hired Gase, which means AT BEST McCarty was 4th. I think his time as a HC is over. The NFL has just passed him by.

I still dont love the Gase hire since it is so prone to completely failing, but I am so glad we didnt buy the fools gold of McCarthy and no one else did either. 

I will credit his agent for doing everything he could (unsuccessfully) to make it look like he was turning down teams not the other way around.

Arizona was ready to give him complete control.  McCarthy said he wasn't interested and pretty much informed the world early on that his only interest was in Jets or Browns (translation: Darnold or Mayfield.  He had zero interest in Rosen.)  What team is going to step up and solicit him after they already know he will say no?    Your narrative doesn't conform to what happened there.  After the fact reasoning doesn't always work.  McCarthy was not interested in other teams... Not the other way around as you posted.  

You are forgetting that he will earn $7 million from Green Bay in 2019 by hanging out at home with the wife and kids.  I don't know how offsets work with HC's but why would he go somewhere he doesn't want for less money when he can pocket $7 mill and then make a selection among the 2020 teams who need a HC?  Only Darnold or Mayfield would have been worth it to him.  

Basically, your narrative is contradictory to logic and to what little evidence we have of what actually went down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Troll said:

McCarthy’s reputation with diehard Jets fans and diehard NFL fans was day and night.

Unlike you, I’m coming around a bit more on Gase. He still has some negatives, but he’s young enough to fix them. McCarthy was worst case scenario for me. He’s a finished product. His negatives will stay negatives. Rodgers being an ass was way overblown here. Yes, that was part of the reason he lost his job, but the main reason is because what he’s done for 13 years was no longer working in today’s NFL. If not for Rodgers repeatedly saving his ass, he’d have been fired long ago.

I get the feeling that McCarthy would not have lasted this long if Rodgers didn’t keep bailing him out.  

 

I give mccagnan a lot of credit for this hire, he didn’t take the easy way out with McCarthy, and he didn’t hire a guy right out of college b/c that’s the hip thing to do.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike McCarthy is not that good of a HC thats why he's unemployed today. 

Mike McCarthy obviously wanted full control which he has not earned or deserves. 

I wish fans and media would stop badgering the Jets over passing on this guy. 

He won nothing recently with Aaron Rodgers that says a lot about him. 

The NFL has passed him on by. 

@Green DNA @Kevin L really dude/dudette 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He turned down the Arizona interview. The Browns wanted him but they wanted to retain kitchens which McCarthy didnt want to be decided for him.  Look ive moved on an have accepted Gase but lets not act like McCarthy was someone who no one wanted,thats silly.  The media and some people in GB definetly went out of their way to make sure he didnt get this job. Manish Mehta is a perfect example 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jets723 said:

He turned down the Arizona interview. The Browns wanted him but they wanted to retain kitchens which McCarthy didnt want to be decided for him.  Look ive moved on an have accepted Gase but lets not act like McCarthy was someone who no one wanted,thats silly.  The media and some people in GB definetly went out of their way to make sure he didnt get this job. Manish Mehta is a perfect example 

According to the O.P.  all of that was fabricated by McCarthy's agent.  😜

That's some comedy gold, right there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

GB did a good job off blackballing him. You would think the stuff that was sad dies down NY next year for him..

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
 

NY Jets record and game play should have blackballed Todd Bowles for life if that were true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NY Jets record and game play should have blackballed Todd Bowles for life if that were true. 
It wasn't about record stuff, but yeah I agree considering.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

Couldn’t the same be said of Bellichick?

BB was already an accomplished defensive coordinator for several teams.  His early years with the pats were won with defense as much as offense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:


No one wanted LaFluer either. Wait, no one wanted kitchens either. Hmm actually, no one wanted fangio either. Ya know what? No one wanted zac Taylor either.
The only one anyone wanted was KK due to all of his experience I think.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

False equivalences. Everyone knows LaFluer was the shiny object. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

GB did a good job off blackballing him. You would think the stuff that was sad dies down by next year for him..

 

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

 

 

 

 

Yeah, if only these billion dollar teams has access to the Packers game film and could see all the brilliant coaching McCarthy did the last few years they would have been kicking down his door for a job. 

Why can't these teams see what you see so clearly? Very frustrating I'm sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yeah, if only these billion dollar teams has access to the Packers game film and could see all the brilliant coaching McCarthy did the last few years they would have been kicking down his door for a job. 
Why can't these teams see what you see so clearly? Very frustrating I'm sure.
It's all just speculation, the bad stuff said about him turned teams away. I'm curious though if CJ heard about them before or after their interview.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike McCarthy is not that good of a HC thats why he's unemployed today. 
Mike McCarthy obviously wanted full control which he has not earned or deserves. 
I wish fans and media would stop badgering the Jets over passing on this guy. 
He won nothing recently with Aaron Rodgers that says a lot about him. 
The NFL has passed him on by. 
[mention=5594]Green DNA[/mention] [mention=19865]Kevin L[/mention] really dude/dudette 

He has 1 super bowl ring and the 3rd highest winning percentage of all the HC’s from last year. He gets credit for developing Rodgers. Gase is a loser according to his record. Super bowl ring, all the division titles and 3rd highest winning percentage among all 2018 nfl HC are FACTS. Would you take Andy Reid? He went 4-12 and 8-8 his last 2 years in Philly. The Chiefs are the #1 seed. Would you take Gase over Andy reid?


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Objectively with 2 consecutive HoF QBs, McCarthy did less with more better than anyone. Rodgers was basically calling his own plays at the end, Favre was doing that anyway. In Giants 2 Super Bowl runs, McCarthy's Packers lost the NFC title game at home twice as heavy favorites.

And the word is his offense is the basic WCO Bill Walsh ran with the Niners 30 years ago with not much in the way of updates. 2nd hand from a stat geek; the guy has not updated the routes from that Walsh playbook. Ever. Recall the WCO was designed for a QB with Walsh's Bengals that hurt his arm and couldn't throw long; short timing routes. Darnold doesn't have that problem. What ever else you can say about Gase, he isn't bound to a system. And that's a good thing. 

Make no mistake; McCarthy would have been an upgrade. But there are red flags galore. He does not scream innovative. And while he's not an old guy, there is part of me that fears he does see the exit sign and this might have been the last big payday he gets on the way out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Websites, SEO & Social Media

Mile Social
×