NO ONE Wanted McCarthy

JohnnyLV

I saw the Dolphins kick our asses with a much worse roster. 
Adam Gase will do fine  hear relax.

As I stated earlier, I’m rooting like heck for him to win a Super Bowl with this team. I’m a die hard Jets fan and felt McCarthy was a better hire based on their HC history. Gase better win starting this year. No more excuses for this team, Macc and Gase. I hope he’s ready cause the last thing I want is for the Jets to turn into the Lions (above average QB and a team who never wins) Gase has to prove he can win and lead us to a super bowl victory. Can he? Yes Will he? Don’t know, but I’m praying he does.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, JetsYanks13 said:

As I stated earlier, I’m rooting like heck for him to win a Super Bowl with this team. I’m a die hard Jets fan and felt McCarthy was a better hire based on their HC history. Gase better win starting this year. No more excuses for this team, Macc and Gase. I hope he’s ready cause the last thing I want is for the Jets to turn into the Lions (above average QB and a team who never wins) Gase has to prove he can win and lead us to a super bowl victory. Can he? Yes Will he? Don’t know, but I’m praying he does.

Mike McCarthy wasn't hired for a reason. Let it go ironically no one hired him.

Mike McCarthy wasn't hired for a reason. Let it go ironically no one hired him.

I’m over it, but don’t flip the script and make the guy out to be a horrible coach. He blows away Gase as an HC. You feel Gase was the better hire and I disagree. That’s fine, but don’t diminish what McCarthy did to justify the Gase hire. Where do stand on Ben McAdoo? Is he the reason you didn’t want McCarthy? Is he an outdated offensive coordinator?

1 minute ago, JetsYanks13 said:

I’m over it, but don’t flip the script and make the guy out to be a horrible coach. He blows away Gase as an HC. You feel Gase was the better hire and I disagree. That’s fine, but don’t diminish what McCarthy did to justify the Gase hire. Where do stand on Ben McAdoo? Is he the reason you didn’t want McCarthy? Is he an outdated offensive coordinator?

Mike McCarthy wasn't the right fit for the NY Jets and Ben McAdoo here would have been Todd Bowels II NO THANKS 

Mike McCarthy wasn't the right fit for the NY Jets and Ben McAdoo here would have been Todd Bowels II NO THANKS 

Well McAdoo is interviewing for the Cardinals with Kingsbury. The guy who is the new offensive guru who the Jets also hired. Why would Kingbury potentially bring in Todd Bowles ll if his offense is so antiquated? Interesting how a young offensive genius would bring in McAdoo who was with McCarthy. How was McCarthy not the right fit for the Jets and Gase is?

Well McAdoo is interviewing for the Cardinals with Kingsbury. The guy who is the new offensive guru who the Jets also hired. Why would Kingbury potentially bring in Todd Bowles ll if his offense is so antiquated? Interesting how a young offensive genius would bring in McAdoo who was with McCarthy. How was McCarthy not the right fit for the Jets and Gase is?

I meant to say who the jets also interviewed.

Just now, JetsYanks13 said:

Mike McCarthy is old and he struggled with Aaron Rodgers a younger HC is better for Sam Darnold.

Mike McCarthy is old and he struggled with Aaron Rodgers a younger HC is better for Sam Darnold.

Your argument is merit less and the coaches age has nothing do with improving a QB’s performance. Example #1: Andy Reid. I gave you the list with the remaining playoff coaches ages. Outside of McVay, they are all 49 and older.

Just now, JetsYanks13 said:

Your argument is merit less and the coaches age has nothing do with improving a QB’s performance. Example #1: Andy Reid. I gave you the list with the remaining playoff coaches ages. Outside of McVay, they are all 49 and older.

Im not arguing!!!!!!  Im discussing football and offering up my opinions. 

Im not arguing!!!!!!  Im discussing football and offering up my opinions. 

We have a differing of opinions, but we both agree to support the Jets for better or worse. As I stated earlier, I’m rooting for Gase to win us a Super Bowl. I’m not going to re hash my arguments, but I think it’s wrong for anyone to put McCarthy down based on his accomplishments. How would he have done on the Jets? We won’t know cause he wasn’t hired. I’m just saying based on previous HC experience, McCarthy was a much better coach then Gase. Does that mean Gase won’t become a better coach than McCarthy? No. Time will tell and he has to win to justify his hiring or all Jets fans will be second guessing ownership as to why we didn’t hire McCarthy. Gase gets off to a 1-5 start or something horrible, you know the fanbase will be screaming about the hire. That will happen and it will start on this board. The Johnsons must get this hire correct or else things will go south very very quickly. Time for excuses are over and now is the time to win no matter who the HC is. Let’s go Jets!

I am sorry this has people divided but this is stupid because when comparing McCarthy to Gase there should be no conversation one is proven winning coach the other has a loosing record.

Like it or not I have had this convesation a few time citing records the whole record and qb that were developed. Gase has yet to take a young qb to a probowl level, of the 2 young qbs the options are Tebow(who is out of the league) and Tannehill and with the injuries so many poeple are quick to cite is a question mark, he worked with Manning who had a great yr but was already a hall of famer and won a superbowl without Gace and Cutler who improved his turnover from 17  to 11.

Where as McCarthy worked with one young qb and turned him into a probowler/ possible hall of famer and super bowl winner, could he have have won more yes but as Gase fans like to make excuses there are in place for McCarthy as well.

We should not be taken 3 yr portions of records  just the entire record to try to justify why is a questionable hire allot of people are questioning that. When you have to explain and justify why you passed someone over there is always room for question marks.

The rumor was out that McCarthy turned down the cards after they offered him full control we may never know but to disregard it is stupid. Because we dont know you have to assume at least a portion of that story is correct.

People are willing to give the Jets the benefit of the doubt but I think they are running out of chances to get this right and when they had a chance to get a proven winning whether people like it or not McCarthy has a better record.  A coach who could bring instant credibility to the team they hire a head coach with a loosing record. That is why people are questioning the move.

I am tired of people taken a 3 yr portion of McCarthy then Gases three yrs say they are the same and the reason is Gase had an injured qb. The NFL still played those games and they counted. The sole winning record he had  was with the weakest schedule in the league.

Take both coaches whole record or throw it out for both coaches. Take everything in perspective take off the fan glasses and look at this analytically and balance it out ads see who is the bigger question mark.  For a team that does need more questions but needs solid answers that is why I think it is the wrong move. Couple that with the fact the new coach is supposedly and ahole this has the makings of a complete disaster.

read the below it is pretty fair really brings up some facts about why the qbs brought up their ratings how he handled the players and the writer thinks he will be a good coach but questions the facts

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-kelly-column-20190110-story.html#done

The right fit didn't materialize so he's sitting out 

That was probably the most likely scenario from the get go 

Don't forget he's a Pittsburgh guy and he might be thinking Tomlin is on shaky ground as well 

He really doesn't seem to have a personality for TV but he will find ways to keep his name out there 

34 minutes ago, rammagen said:

I am sorry this has people divided but this is stupid because when comparing McCarthy to Gase there should be no conversation one is proven winning coach the other has a loosing record.

Like it or not I have had this convesation a few time citing records the whole record and qb that were developed. Gase has yet to take a young qb to a probowl level, of the 2 young qbs the options are Tebow(who is out of the league) and Tannehill and with the injuries so many poeple are quick to cite is a question mark, he worked with Manning who had a great yr but was already a hall of famer and won a superbowl without Gace and Cutler who improved his turnover from 17  to 11.

Where as McCarthy worked with one young qb and turned him into a probowler/ possible hall of famer and super bowl winner, could he have have won more yes but as Gase fans like to make excuses there are in place for McCarthy as well.

We should not be taken 3 yr portions of records  just the entire record to try to justify why is a questionable hire allot of people are questioning that. When you have to explain and justify why you passed someone over there is always room for question marks.

The rumor was out that McCarthy turned down the cards after they offered him full control we may never know but to disregard it is stupid. Because we dont know you have to assume at least a portion of that story is correct.

People are willing to give the Jets the benefit of the doubt but I think they are running out of chances to get this right and when they had a chance to get a proven winning whether people like it or not McCarthy has a better record.  A coach who could bring instant credibility to the team they hire a head coach with a loosing record. That is why people are questioning the move.

I am tired of people taken a 3 yr portion of McCarthy then Gases three yrs say they are the same and the reason is Gase had an injured qb. The NFL still played those games and they counted. The sole winning record he had  was with the weakest schedule in the league.

Take both coaches whole record or throw it out for both coaches. Take everything in perspective take off the fan glasses and look at this analytically and balance it out ads see who is the bigger question mark.  For a team that does need more questions but needs solid answers that is why I think it is the wrong move. Couple that with the fact the new coach is supposedly and ahole this has the makings of a complete disaster.

read the below it is pretty fair really brings up some facts about why the qbs brought up their ratings how he handled the players and the writer thinks he will be a good coach but questions the facts

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-kelly-column-20190110-story.html#done

Continuously throwing up McCarthys record as the reason he is a good coach while not allowing for the fact that he has had 2 HOF (not Pro Bowl, not All Pro but HOF) QBs playing for him.

Here is the McCarthy reality. McCarthy was successful because of Favre and Rodgers not the other way around. Rodgers mechanical issues would have been fixed by ANY QB coach in the NFL. McCarthy is an antiquated out of touch loser head coach. He will destroy the next team he coaches for, IF and it is a gigantic IF (because NFL teams recognize what he is), IF he ever coaches again.

No one has ever told me anything that this guy is good at other than W-L

Continuously throwing up McCarthys record as the reason he is a good coach while not allowing for the fact that he has had 2 HOF (not Pro Bowl, not All Pro but HOF) QBs playing for him.
Here is the McCarthy reality. McCarthy was successful because of Favre and Rodgers not the other way around. Rodgers mechanical issues would have been fixed by ANY QB coach in the NFL. McCarthy is an antiquated out of touch loser head coach. He will destroy the next team he coaches for, IF and it is a gigantic IF (because NFL teams recognize what he is), IF he ever coaches again.

The only thing a coach needs to be good at is wins and losses. That is what defines a coach. The fact is Gase is the Loser (His record proves it) The HC in football is everything as opposed to other sports. If coaching was so easy, then Bowles would still be here. The HC and QB are intertwined. Just like Gase’s success will be hitched to Darnold. However, Gase is the guy responsible for getting Darnold to all pro level. What is Gase good at?

19 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

The only thing a coach needs to be good at is wins and losses. That is what defines a coach. The fact is Gase is the Loser (His record proves it) The HC in football is everything as opposed to other sports. If coaching was so easy, then Bowles would still be here. The HC and QB are intertwined. Just like Gase’s success will be hitched to Darnold. However, Gase is the guy responsible for getting Darnold to all pro level. What is Gase good at?

That is just the dumbest take ever. EVER. You cannot in today's NFL completely ignore the effect of Elite NFL play especially when they have 2 HOF QBs. Wow

That is just the dumbest take ever. EVER. You cannot in today's NFL completely ignore the effect of Elite NFL play especially when they have 2 HOF QBs. Wow

First of all, I’m too smart of a fan to stoop to your level and call someone’s FACTUAL comments dumb. Gase is the LOSER and that is factual. His HC record is 23-26. McCarthy HC record is 125-77. Tell me which coach is better? Tannehill sucks and Gase never developed him. A coach is judged on wins which McCarthy has 102 more than Gase. I think you read one Manish article too many. McCarthy had a higher winning percentage than all but 3 coaches in the 2018 season. I’m sure you will avoid my question, but I will give it a shot. Would you hire Adam Gase or take Andy Reid, Sean Payton or Doug Pederson ? All offensive head coaches who McCarthy has a higher winning percentage than.

54 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

First of all, I’m too smart of a fan to stoop to your level and call someone’s FACTUAL comments dumb. Gase is the LOSER and that is factual. His HC record is 23-26. McCarthy HC record is 125-77. Tell me which coach is better? Tannehill sucks and Gase never developed him. A coach is judged on wins which McCarthy has 102 more than Gase. I think you read one Manish article too many. McCarthy had a higher winning percentage than all but 3 coaches in the 2018 season. I’m sure you will avoid my question, but I will give it a shot. Would you hire Adam Gase or take Andy Reid, Sean Payton or Doug Pederson ? All offensive head coaches who McCarthy has a higher winning percentage than.

Yep the ONLY argument is his record which ignores the talent he had to deal with. Like I said I ask people to say something that is good about him other than his record and the only response is his record  Holy fudge. McCarthy is bad at almost every level of head coaching but is bailed out by Rodgers. He is stubborn, ultra conservative, not open to change, terrible in game manager, hires terrible assistants. But yeah lets ignore all that.

Oh and if record is the only thing that matters lets look at how McCarthy does without Rodgers.

Here is a great, pretty prescient post by a GB fan. 3-8-1. He sucks without Rodgers. But you ignore that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GreenBayPackers/comments/7emejc/mccarthy_without_rodgers_vs_other_great_coaches/

Yep the ONLY argument is his record which ignores the talent he had to deal with. Like I said I ask people to say something that is good about him other than his record and the only response is his record  Holy fudge. McCarthy is bad at almost every level of head coaching but is bailed out by Rodgers. He is stubborn, ultra conservative, not open to change, terrible in game manager, hires terrible assistants. But yeah lets ignore all that.
Oh and if record is the only thing that matters lets look at how McCarthy does without Rodgers.
Here is a great, pretty prescient post by a GB fan. 3-8-1. He sucks without Rodgers. But you ignore that.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GreenBayPackers/comments/7emejc/mccarthy_without_rodgers_vs_other_great_coaches/

Once again, WINS ARE THE ONLY THINGS THAT MATTER. This is why Bowles is not the coach because he did not win or else he would still be here. How did McCarthy win then if he was poor at all the items you mentioned?

1. Your judging McCarthy on 12 games without Rodgers is Pathetic.
2. Your posting another GB fans opinions about McCarthy is lame. There are several fans on here who have opinions on Gase which means nothing.
3. How did McCarthy win a Super Bowl?
4. What makes Gase better than McCarthy?
5. Factual: McCarthy had a higher winning percentage than all but 3 HC from 2018. This is not opinion, but fact. WHY?
6. Would you hire Gase or Payton, Reid, Pederson? McCarthy has a higher winning percentage than all of them.

Don’t avoid my questions, answer them. Also, Andy Reid was 4-12 and 8-8 with philly before going to KC. I’m sure you wouldn’t of hired him either.

1. who cares what other teams did or did not want

2. The browns wanted McCarthy but they also wanted to keep Kitchens.  He said no

3.  McCarthy knows Sam is for real.  Is it shocking he’d rather coach Sam the next great qb instead of some piece of crap?

45 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

Once again, WINS ARE THE ONLY THINGS THAT MATTER. This is why Bowles is not the coach because he did not win or else he would still be here. How did McCarthy win then if he was poor at all the items you mentioned?

2. Your posting another GB fans opinions about McCarthy is lame. There are several fans on here who have opinions on Gase which means nothing.
5. Factual: McCarthy had a higher winning percentage than all but 3 HC from 2018. This is not opinion, but fact. WHY?
6. Would you hire Gase or Payton, Reid, Pederson? McCarthy has a higher winning percentage than all of them.

Don’t avoid my questions, answer them. Also, Andy Reid was 4-12 and 8-8 with philly before going to KC. I’m sure you wouldn’t of hired him either.

1. Wins are NOT the only things that matter

2. In answer to all else, Aaron Rodgers, weak division and decent drafting. I believe that McCarthy had an overall negative effect to games won.

Also, 12 games is almost an entire season.

Your entire premise is idiotic even if you put it in all caps.

1. Wins are NOT the only things that matter
2. In answer to all else, Aaron Rodgers, weak division and decent drafting. I believe that McCarthy had an overall negative effect to games won.
Also, 12 games is almost an entire season.
Your entire premise is idiotic even if you put it in all caps.

1. Wins are the only things that matters from a HC. Let me fill you in on something: Wins= Division Championships and or Playoffs=Potential Super Bowl Appearance and victory. This is the point of the game. To win the Super Bowl. BTW, McCarthy has one of those and Gase has 0.

2. Negative effect on games won makes no sense what so ever. I wish the Jets coach had such a negative impact to win 9 division titles and a super bowl. Also, the AFC east has arguably been the weakest division in the NFL the last bunch of years while the Pats dominate. Does this mean Belichek gets no credit?

3. I’m actually impressed he won that many games without Rodgers. Brett Hundly sucks and couldn’t even start for a top 4 NCAA team.

4. You managed to dodge my questions because you are unable to answer them with factual information.

5. I refuse to stoop down to your pathetic level of name calling. I have too much respect for myself to go there.

6. Your thread topic is incorrect, tons of Jets fans as myself wanted McCarthy as HC of the NYJ. I’m not explaining again why cause your wearing the Gase blinders.

7. Who were Gase’s assistants? What kind of offense does he run? What makes Gase a better HC than McCarthy? Go google the answers and get back to me. You have avoided many of my questions thus far.

8. I’m rooting for Gase to be 10 times the coach McCarthy ever was because he coaches the team I root for, but the facts clearly point out that the Jets probably made the wrong hire.

Heres one more tidbit If Gase is such a great genius why didnt Elway go after him lets see all the anti Mcarthy pro Gase people answer that one. I mean Elway knows him well why not snatch him up before the Jets could sign him. Not even his former boss wanted him but no ones talking about that 

2 hours ago, JetsYanks13 said:

JOHN FOX WAS 46-18 IN DENVER

GOOD HIRE, BEARS

6 hours ago, johnnysd said:

This makes me laugh. The absolute way you reply. You are wrong on several different levels I give you facts and you reply with crap.   Here is the reality Hase has a loosing record and has not developed a winning web or record. I notoces someone mention Fox and Bears and how bad  it was.  Who did he bring with him that’s right Adam Gase. 

The reality is this is a questionable hire at best he wins at worst he flames out. 

As as far as the McCarthy bashing it is laugh in itself. The posts here where they say he was not wanted is a joke as well.

i hope the hire works but chances are it is going to go poorly because he has not developed a young successfully save me the Tamnehill argument if he was injured and that is why his records is under 500 or was he developed. A developed player plays and injuries are part of the game

16 minutes ago, rammagen said:

And  Gase was with him. Can’t play it both ways buddy

Did I mention Gase? He also was only there for the first year in Chicago, where they won two less games than the next two years combined.

And I'm not your buddy, guy.

23 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Ryan Tannehill (Who missed the last three regular season games as well as the wild card game)  vs. Aaron Rodgers.

Context doesn't lie. 

The context is McCaethy helped developed AR that is fact and should be put into context. Could Rodgers have been great with another coach we don’t know for sure do we. But we do know McCarty and AR were linked for years as working with each other 

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Then you did read the post where it was he said he helped devlope AR and worked with Fabre. But your right the coach with the win record sucks. 

This why The Jets will be stuck in a cycle of wash rinse repeat with coaches till they get lucky.

i hope Gase does well but for people to ignore basic facts or find reasons to trash the other coach is laughable.i provides all the facts and get back crap for an argument for Gase . When you can’t provide facts that can’t be questioned then you have to wonder about the hire

JOHN FOX WAS 46-18 IN DENVER
GOOD HIRE, BEARS

8-8 his first season without Manning. Then had 3 winning seasons when he inherited him. Did not win a Super Bowl, but got there. He was an above average coach at the time. My friends a Bears fan and was excited about the hire. Didn’t work out for him which happens. Also, he brought Gase with him who accomplished nothing in Chicago. And if Peyton needed Gase so badly, then why was he let go from the Broncos. Peyton Manning gets what he wants and if he wanted Gase, then he would have stayed there.

50 minutes ago, rammagen said:

The context is McCaethy helped developed AR that is fact and should be put into context. Could Rodgers have been great with another coach we don’t know for sure do we. But we do know McCarty and AR were linked for years as working with each other 

Unfortunately, that is entirely irrelevant to my comment. 

You wrote a post comparing the performance of McCarthy/Rodgers in 2016 to Gase/Tannehill in 2016 and I responded accordingly. 

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Unfortunately, that is entirely irrelevant to my comment. 

You wrote a post comparing the performance of McCarthy/Rodgers in 2016 to Gase/Tannehill in 2016 and I responded accordingly. 

please re-read my post that is not what I wrote in this thread, it is below  I said you ether take the entire record into consideration or you don't you cant have it both ways I never mentioned 2016 in the below........You cant say tannehill improved then say he missed 24 games because you have to be on the field. Like I said it is below and I never mentioned 2016 so you have me confused with someone else or misread what I wrote

Like it or not I have had this conversation a few time citing records the whole record and qb that were developed. Gase has yet to take a young qb to a probowl level, of the 2 young qbs the options are Tebow(who is out of the league) and Tannehill and with the injuries so many poeple are quick to cite is a question mark, he worked with Manning who had a great yr but was already a hall of famer and won a superbowl without Gace and Cutler who improved his turnover from 17  to 11.

14 minutes ago, rammagen said:

please re-read my post that is not what I wrote in this thread, it is below  I said you ether take the entire record into consideration or you don't you cant have it both ways I never mentioned 2016 in the below........

That's fine, but in the specific post that I replied to, you were exclusively referencing 2016.  

Carry on

Archived