Sign in to follow this  
johnnysd

NO ONE Wanted McCarthy

Rate this topic

that pretty much sums it up.  gase is the coach let's see what he can do for the jets.  it's not like they hired charlie winner or kotite again.

Kotite was better with the Eagles before he joined the Jets than Gase was with the Dolphins.

I get supporting the team and all but I’m just not sure you guys understand how monumentally of a bad hire this was.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Lets see the stats dont lie

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/index.htm

In 2016 he lost in the championship game thats 2 seasons ago. The guy has a higher winning percentage then Parcells. Everybody buys the CoolAid the Johnson boys are selling. Some team will get him and there will be a lot of sorry fans that buy into the Johnsons crap. Whatever team gets him will be in the playoffs while the Jets are looking for another GM and coach. Until the Johnson boys are gone this franchise is dead.

Yes, he lost the championship game. A game they were only in because Rodgers made a scrambling, miraculous play and then threw an absolute laser into a tiny window to Jared Cook 40 yards down the field right on the sideline to set up Crosby’s game winner as time expired.

Thank goodness Rodgers made that play so McCarthy could pad his resume by leading the team to a conference title game where they were down 31 before scoring a point.

1 hour ago, nyjets1969 said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/mia/2016.htm

This is Gase best year with a healthy Tanahill, Ajayi and Landry only ranked 17 in offense thought this guy was a great offensive mind. While Mcarthy went to the championship. No hate here just common sense. Stats dont lie.

Ryan Tannehill (Who missed the last three regular season games as well as the wild card game)  vs. Aaron Rodgers.

Context doesn't lie. 

NFL head coaches are getting younger is the trend or else Tom Coughlin would be on the sidelines somewhere. 
Mike McCarthy didn't seem like the right fit for our 21 year old QB it seems. 

The trend? Younger coaches because of McVay. Age has nothing to do with coaching. Don’t tell me Gase is a better coach than McCarthy cause he is younger.

Current playoff coaches by age:

McVay: 32
Lynn: 49
Pederson: 50
Garret: 52
Payton:54
Reich: 56
Reid: 60
Belichek: 66

How do you explain how these old coaches outside of McVay win? Also, I would take all 8 of those coaches over Gase any day of the week.

Nothing did you watch any Packers games this season. 

Yes, I was at MetLife when they beat us. Have you seen any dolphins games the last 3 years? Did you see the Dolphins coach with no division titles, no super bowl titles and at best 26th ranked offense.

4 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

Yes, I was at MetLife when they beat us. Have you seen any dolphins games the last 3 years? Did you see the Dolphins coach with no division titles, no super bowl titles and at best 26th ranked offense.

I saw the Dolphins kick our asses with a much worse roster. 

Adam Gase will do fine  hear relax.

I saw the Dolphins kick our asses with a much worse roster. 
Adam Gase will do fine  hear relax.

As I stated earlier, I’m rooting like heck for him to win a Super Bowl with this team. I’m a die hard Jets fan and felt McCarthy was a better hire based on their HC history. Gase better win starting this year. No more excuses for this team, Macc and Gase. I hope he’s ready cause the last thing I want is for the Jets to turn into the Lions (above average QB and a team who never wins) Gase has to prove he can win and lead us to a super bowl victory. Can he? Yes Will he? Don’t know, but I’m praying he does.

1 minute ago, JetsYanks13 said:

As I stated earlier, I’m rooting like heck for him to win a Super Bowl with this team. I’m a die hard Jets fan and felt McCarthy was a better hire based on their HC history. Gase better win starting this year. No more excuses for this team, Macc and Gase. I hope he’s ready cause the last thing I want is for the Jets to turn into the Lions (above average QB and a team who never wins) Gase has to prove he can win and lead us to a super bowl victory. Can he? Yes Will he? Don’t know, but I’m praying he does.

Mike McCarthy wasn't hired for a reason. Let it go ironically no one hired him.

Mike McCarthy wasn't hired for a reason. Let it go ironically no one hired him.

I’m over it, but don’t flip the script and make the guy out to be a horrible coach. He blows away Gase as an HC. You feel Gase was the better hire and I disagree. That’s fine, but don’t diminish what McCarthy did to justify the Gase hire. Where do stand on Ben McAdoo? Is he the reason you didn’t want McCarthy? Is he an outdated offensive coordinator?

1 minute ago, JetsYanks13 said:

I’m over it, but don’t flip the script and make the guy out to be a horrible coach. He blows away Gase as an HC. You feel Gase was the better hire and I disagree. That’s fine, but don’t diminish what McCarthy did to justify the Gase hire. Where do stand on Ben McAdoo? Is he the reason you didn’t want McCarthy? Is he an outdated offensive coordinator?

Mike McCarthy wasn't the right fit for the NY Jets and Ben McAdoo here would have been Todd Bowels II NO THANKS 

Mike McCarthy wasn't the right fit for the NY Jets and Ben McAdoo here would have been Todd Bowels II NO THANKS 

Well McAdoo is interviewing for the Cardinals with Kingsbury. The guy who is the new offensive guru who the Jets also hired. Why would Kingbury potentially bring in Todd Bowles ll if his offense is so antiquated? Interesting how a young offensive genius would bring in McAdoo who was with McCarthy. How was McCarthy not the right fit for the Jets and Gase is?

Well McAdoo is interviewing for the Cardinals with Kingsbury. The guy who is the new offensive guru who the Jets also hired. Why would Kingbury potentially bring in Todd Bowles ll if his offense is so antiquated? Interesting how a young offensive genius would bring in McAdoo who was with McCarthy. How was McCarthy not the right fit for the Jets and Gase is?

I meant to say who the jets also interviewed.

Just now, JetsYanks13 said:

Mike McCarthy is old and he struggled with Aaron Rodgers a younger HC is better for Sam Darnold.

Mike McCarthy is old and he struggled with Aaron Rodgers a younger HC is better for Sam Darnold.

Your argument is merit less and the coaches age has nothing do with improving a QB’s performance. Example #1: Andy Reid. I gave you the list with the remaining playoff coaches ages. Outside of McVay, they are all 49 and older.

Just now, JetsYanks13 said:

Your argument is merit less and the coaches age has nothing do with improving a QB’s performance. Example #1: Andy Reid. I gave you the list with the remaining playoff coaches ages. Outside of McVay, they are all 49 and older.

Im not arguing!!!!!!  Im discussing football and offering up my opinions. 

1 hour ago, JetsYanks13 said:

How do you explain how these old coaches outside of McVay win? Also, I would take all 8 of those coaches over Gase any day of the week.

Me too but they weren't available!

Im not arguing!!!!!!  Im discussing football and offering up my opinions. 

We have a differing of opinions, but we both agree to support the Jets for better or worse. As I stated earlier, I’m rooting for Gase to win us a Super Bowl. I’m not going to re hash my arguments, but I think it’s wrong for anyone to put McCarthy down based on his accomplishments. How would he have done on the Jets? We won’t know cause he wasn’t hired. I’m just saying based on previous HC experience, McCarthy was a much better coach then Gase. Does that mean Gase won’t become a better coach than McCarthy? No. Time will tell and he has to win to justify his hiring or all Jets fans will be second guessing ownership as to why we didn’t hire McCarthy. Gase gets off to a 1-5 start or something horrible, you know the fanbase will be screaming about the hire. That will happen and it will start on this board. The Johnsons must get this hire correct or else things will go south very very quickly. Time for excuses are over and now is the time to win no matter who the HC is. Let’s go Jets!

I am sorry this has people divided but this is stupid because when comparing McCarthy to Gase there should be no conversation one is proven winning coach the other has a loosing record.

Like it or not I have had this convesation a few time citing records the whole record and qb that were developed. Gase has yet to take a young qb to a probowl level, of the 2 young qbs the options are Tebow(who is out of the league) and Tannehill and with the injuries so many poeple are quick to cite is a question mark, he worked with Manning who had a great yr but was already a hall of famer and won a superbowl without Gace and Cutler who improved his turnover from 17  to 11.

Where as McCarthy worked with one young qb and turned him into a probowler/ possible hall of famer and super bowl winner, could he have have won more yes but as Gase fans like to make excuses there are in place for McCarthy as well.

We should not be taken 3 yr portions of records  just the entire record to try to justify why is a questionable hire allot of people are questioning that. When you have to explain and justify why you passed someone over there is always room for question marks.

The rumor was out that McCarthy turned down the cards after they offered him full control we may never know but to disregard it is stupid. Because we dont know you have to assume at least a portion of that story is correct.

People are willing to give the Jets the benefit of the doubt but I think they are running out of chances to get this right and when they had a chance to get a proven winning whether people like it or not McCarthy has a better record.  A coach who could bring instant credibility to the team they hire a head coach with a loosing record. That is why people are questioning the move.

I am tired of people taken a 3 yr portion of McCarthy then Gases three yrs say they are the same and the reason is Gase had an injured qb. The NFL still played those games and they counted. The sole winning record he had  was with the weakest schedule in the league.

Take both coaches whole record or throw it out for both coaches. Take everything in perspective take off the fan glasses and look at this analytically and balance it out ads see who is the bigger question mark.  For a team that does need more questions but needs solid answers that is why I think it is the wrong move. Couple that with the fact the new coach is supposedly and ahole this has the makings of a complete disaster.

read the below it is pretty fair really brings up some facts about why the qbs brought up their ratings how he handled the players and the writer thinks he will be a good coach but questions the facts

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-kelly-column-20190110-story.html#done

The right fit didn't materialize so he's sitting out 

That was probably the most likely scenario from the get go 

Don't forget he's a Pittsburgh guy and he might be thinking Tomlin is on shaky ground as well 

He really doesn't seem to have a personality for TV but he will find ways to keep his name out there 

34 minutes ago, rammagen said:

I am sorry this has people divided but this is stupid because when comparing McCarthy to Gase there should be no conversation one is proven winning coach the other has a loosing record.

Like it or not I have had this convesation a few time citing records the whole record and qb that were developed. Gase has yet to take a young qb to a probowl level, of the 2 young qbs the options are Tebow(who is out of the league) and Tannehill and with the injuries so many poeple are quick to cite is a question mark, he worked with Manning who had a great yr but was already a hall of famer and won a superbowl without Gace and Cutler who improved his turnover from 17  to 11.

Where as McCarthy worked with one young qb and turned him into a probowler/ possible hall of famer and super bowl winner, could he have have won more yes but as Gase fans like to make excuses there are in place for McCarthy as well.

We should not be taken 3 yr portions of records  just the entire record to try to justify why is a questionable hire allot of people are questioning that. When you have to explain and justify why you passed someone over there is always room for question marks.

The rumor was out that McCarthy turned down the cards after they offered him full control we may never know but to disregard it is stupid. Because we dont know you have to assume at least a portion of that story is correct.

People are willing to give the Jets the benefit of the doubt but I think they are running out of chances to get this right and when they had a chance to get a proven winning whether people like it or not McCarthy has a better record.  A coach who could bring instant credibility to the team they hire a head coach with a loosing record. That is why people are questioning the move.

I am tired of people taken a 3 yr portion of McCarthy then Gases three yrs say they are the same and the reason is Gase had an injured qb. The NFL still played those games and they counted. The sole winning record he had  was with the weakest schedule in the league.

Take both coaches whole record or throw it out for both coaches. Take everything in perspective take off the fan glasses and look at this analytically and balance it out ads see who is the bigger question mark.  For a team that does need more questions but needs solid answers that is why I think it is the wrong move. Couple that with the fact the new coach is supposedly and ahole this has the makings of a complete disaster.

read the below it is pretty fair really brings up some facts about why the qbs brought up their ratings how he handled the players and the writer thinks he will be a good coach but questions the facts

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-kelly-column-20190110-story.html#done

Continuously throwing up McCarthys record as the reason he is a good coach while not allowing for the fact that he has had 2 HOF (not Pro Bowl, not All Pro but HOF) QBs playing for him.

Here is the McCarthy reality. McCarthy was successful because of Favre and Rodgers not the other way around. Rodgers mechanical issues would have been fixed by ANY QB coach in the NFL. McCarthy is an antiquated out of touch loser head coach. He will destroy the next team he coaches for, IF and it is a gigantic IF (because NFL teams recognize what he is), IF he ever coaches again.

No one has ever told me anything that this guy is good at other than W-L

Continuously throwing up McCarthys record as the reason he is a good coach while not allowing for the fact that he has had 2 HOF (not Pro Bowl, not All Pro but HOF) QBs playing for him.
Here is the McCarthy reality. McCarthy was successful because of Favre and Rodgers not the other way around. Rodgers mechanical issues would have been fixed by ANY QB coach in the NFL. McCarthy is an antiquated out of touch loser head coach. He will destroy the next team he coaches for, IF and it is a gigantic IF (because NFL teams recognize what he is), IF he ever coaches again.
No one has ever told me anything that this guy is good at other than W-L

The only thing a coach needs to be good at is wins and losses. That is what defines a coach. The fact is Gase is the Loser (His record proves it) The HC in football is everything as opposed to other sports. If coaching was so easy, then Bowles would still be here. The HC and QB are intertwined. Just like Gase’s success will be hitched to Darnold. However, Gase is the guy responsible for getting Darnold to all pro level. What is Gase good at?

19 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

The only thing a coach needs to be good at is wins and losses. That is what defines a coach. The fact is Gase is the Loser (His record proves it) The HC in football is everything as opposed to other sports. If coaching was so easy, then Bowles would still be here. The HC and QB are intertwined. Just like Gase’s success will be hitched to Darnold. However, Gase is the guy responsible for getting Darnold to all pro level. What is Gase good at?

That is just the dumbest take ever. EVER. You cannot in today's NFL completely ignore the effect of Elite NFL play especially when they have 2 HOF QBs. Wow

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

That is just the dumbest take ever. EVER. You cannot in today's NFL completely ignore the effect of Elite NFL play especially when they have 2 HOF QBs. Wow

🤣 how many Aaron Rodgers posters do you have on your wall?  🙃

First of all, I’m too smart of a fan to stoop to your level and call someone’s FACTUAL comments dumb. Gase is the LOSER and that is factual. His HC record is 23-26. McCarthy HC record is 125-77. Tell me which coach is better? Tannehill sucks and Gase never developed him. A coach is judged on wins which McCarthy has 102 more than Gase. I think you read one Manish article too many. McCarthy had a higher winning percentage than all but 3 coaches in the 2018 season. I’m sure you will avoid my question, but I will give it a shot. Would you hire Adam Gase or take Andy Reid, Sean Payton or Doug Pederson ? All offensive head coaches who McCarthy has a higher winning percentage than.

54 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

First of all, I’m too smart of a fan to stoop to your level and call someone’s FACTUAL comments dumb. Gase is the LOSER and that is factual. His HC record is 23-26. McCarthy HC record is 125-77. Tell me which coach is better? Tannehill sucks and Gase never developed him. A coach is judged on wins which McCarthy has 102 more than Gase. I think you read one Manish article too many. McCarthy had a higher winning percentage than all but 3 coaches in the 2018 season. I’m sure you will avoid my question, but I will give it a shot. Would you hire Adam Gase or take Andy Reid, Sean Payton or Doug Pederson ? All offensive head coaches who McCarthy has a higher winning percentage than.

Yep the ONLY argument is his record which ignores the talent he had to deal with. Like I said I ask people to say something that is good about him other than his record and the only response is his record  Holy fudge. McCarthy is bad at almost every level of head coaching but is bailed out by Rodgers. He is stubborn, ultra conservative, not open to change, terrible in game manager, hires terrible assistants. But yeah lets ignore all that.

Oh and if record is the only thing that matters lets look at how McCarthy does without Rodgers.

Here is a great, pretty prescient post by a GB fan. 3-8-1. He sucks without Rodgers. But you ignore that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GreenBayPackers/comments/7emejc/mccarthy_without_rodgers_vs_other_great_coaches/

Yep the ONLY argument is his record which ignores the talent he had to deal with. Like I said I ask people to say something that is good about him other than his record and the only response is his record  Holy fudge. McCarthy is bad at almost every level of head coaching but is bailed out by Rodgers. He is stubborn, ultra conservative, not open to change, terrible in game manager, hires terrible assistants. But yeah lets ignore all that.
Oh and if record is the only thing that matters lets look at how McCarthy does without Rodgers.
Here is a great, pretty prescient post by a GB fan. 3-8-1. He sucks without Rodgers. But you ignore that.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GreenBayPackers/comments/7emejc/mccarthy_without_rodgers_vs_other_great_coaches/

Once again, WINS ARE THE ONLY THINGS THAT MATTER. This is why Bowles is not the coach because he did not win or else he would still be here. How did McCarthy win then if he was poor at all the items you mentioned?

1. Your judging McCarthy on 12 games without Rodgers is Pathetic.
2. Your posting another GB fans opinions about McCarthy is lame. There are several fans on here who have opinions on Gase which means nothing.
3. How did McCarthy win a Super Bowl?
4. What makes Gase better than McCarthy?
5. Factual: McCarthy had a higher winning percentage than all but 3 HC from 2018. This is not opinion, but fact. WHY?
6. Would you hire Gase or Payton, Reid, Pederson? McCarthy has a higher winning percentage than all of them.

Don’t avoid my questions, answer them. Also, Andy Reid was 4-12 and 8-8 with philly before going to KC. I’m sure you wouldn’t of hired him either.