Top 50 Free Agents 2019

WayneChrebet80

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

http://nfltraderumors.co/top-25-2019-nfl-free-agents-list/

Not sure which of the top 10 guys will actually make it to free agency, but if I am the Jets I would try to sign at least 2/3 interior OL in Paradis, Saffold, and Glowinski. 

I think they should try to land 3 O lineman in free agency a C, G, and T. Then draft at least 2 O lineman; 3 if the can trade out of #3 for multiple picks. Then those 5  or 6 guys can compete with Shell and Winters and/or Long for starting jobs. Jets need a higher level of competition to improve the O line accross the board.

O line should be the #1 priority. And the #2 priority. And the #3 priority. Bottom line is if they fix the O line, they'll be fine.

Give me those sweet, sweet OLs...

Maybe Gase can help lure Ja'wuan James from Miami... When he was healthy he was really solid... PFF has him as "above average" but I think he can be better than that. 

It'll also be interesting to keep an eye on some of those 4-3 scheme players...; If the Jets hire Will aims and decide to flip their scheme to that they might need to quickly find a piece or two to slot in there.

12 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I think they should try to land 3 O lineman in free agency a C, G, and T. Then draft at least 2 O lineman; 3 if the can trade out of #3 for multiple picks. Then those 5  or 6 guys can compete with Shell and Winters and/or Long for starting jobs. Jets need a higher level of competition to improve the O line accross the board.

O line should be the #1 priority. And the #2 priority. And the #3 priority. Bottom line is if they fix the O line, they'll be fine.

Beachum is a solid starter on a team friendly deal and Shell is still on his rookie contract making peanuts. Both are replaceable, but the Jets would need to use high draft picks to get significant upgrades. 

Id stay away from OT in free agency as those guys typically are bad buys (Nate Solder and Matt Kalil prime examples).

OL is something you need to invest draft capital in to correct. 

16 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Ja’Wuan James - OT - Miami....wonder if Gase attracts or repels him?

“We never honestly had an identity. When you don’t have an identity as an offense it’s hard because you don’t know what to go to when things go wrong. You’re just trying stuff.” - Miami Dolphins OT Ja’Wuan James.

I'm bad at figuring out cap space and decent salaries and such... But I'd love these four:

Sign Bell (RB)

Sign Ansah (4-3)

Sign Paradis (C)

Sign Ja'Wuan James (OT)

That might be getting close or past the limit... But Bobby Massie would be nice too. He got off to a slow start in his career but he's looked better the last few years and really found a home at RT.

He's going to be farther down on this list for sure but it might be fun to take a chance on Terrell Suggs... He's going to be 37 in October, but he had 7 sacks this year and he could be a real leader out there.

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

“We never honestly had an identity. When you don’t have an identity as an offense it’s hard because you don’t know what to go to when things go wrong. You’re just trying stuff.” - Miami Dolphins OT Ja’Wuan James.

... And if the D doesn't know what you are going to do it's an advantage

14 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I like Frank Clark. Is Seattle still not paying their defensive players?

Paid Bobby Wagner at LB I think instead of Cam, Richard Sherman, Bennett, etc.  They are picky but after jettisoning some of the older guys I think they'd really try to keep Clark.

41 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I think 3 starting OLmen is optimistic but yes they should have at least 3 in mind because the odds are they won't go 2 for 2 just because they want to. Like wanting to upgrade at guard a year ago; we gave one shot to Norwell and then that was it. Then after the best players went to other teams - long term and short term guys alike - we ended up with an unreliable center and nobody else. Could be that strategy was based on believing it was a slam dunk to land Cousins, which would have then left the team with 4 high draft picks to spread around to the OL and more. Except all 4 of those picks went to Darnold and they didn't land any decent OLmen in FA either to protect him. The moral? Don't put all your eggs in 1 basket. Go after multiple guys hard; after signing 2 they can then have the choice to keep pursuing the 3rd OL position or not. 

Of paramount concern is Darnold's rapid development. Even if the record is a meh 8-8 give or take, if Darnold's year 2 looks like year 2 from others like Goff or (pre-injury) Wentz, there's all the time in the world to put a better piece here or there around him. But each offseason can't be worries about his potential. As a rookie? I didn't care about his production and most didn't either. Year 2 we should see him become at worst a top 15 QB but preferably to edge into the top 10 or better. Once his development gets removed as a concern then I'd worry more about balancing resources evenly to the defense. Right now let's see what he's capable of becoming.

So yes, that means a minimum 2 FA OLmen - really good ones, not just another Long or Beachum type - and even though I wouldn't be for it for an already-developed QB right now I'm fine with tossing $15MM per at Bell. Cut into that (if needed) by letting Crowell and his $4MM/year go since he's been an all-or-nothing back anyway who wouldn't be afforded any rhythm unless Bell's out. Plus he showed in Cleveland he can be a moody s*** when he thinks he's not getting the ball enough. I like full RBBC but not when one of them is making that kind of scratch. 

44 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

I'm bad at figuring out cap space and decent salaries and such... But I'd love these four:

Sign Bell (RB)

Sign Ansah (4-3)

Sign Paradis (C)

Sign Ja'Wuan James (OT)

That might be getting close or past the limit... But Bobby Massie would be nice too. He got off to a slow start in his career but he's looked better the last few years and really found a home at RT.

He's going to be farther down on this list for sure but it might be fun to take a chance on Terrell Suggs... He's going to be 37 in October, but he had 7 sacks this year and he could be a real leader out there.

That's almost exactly my list.  I'd add a WR like Adam Humphries too.  But on O the big additions should be Paradis and Bell as well as one OT from that list above.

Ansah has some injury concerns but when healthy he's great.

I think adding a DE/OLB pass rusher and an offensive lineman are the keys to keeping our Draft "honest" so that we don't walk in there in April with a glaring hole somewhere.  We'll still have several needs but if they all seem roughly about the same then the Jets won't be telegraphing their draft intentions.

41 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Chiefs OLB....they have him ranked 3rd.  If we stay 3-4 I'd make him a major target.

Going by history, it'd be really unusual if he actually hit FA. There's still plenty of time for them to lock him up after their playoffs run is over. For a team with KC's team/salary makeup I see a strong chance of them retaining him (FT if necessary to draw out the negotiation timetable, and renegotiate others to create temporary space if needed). Ideally for them they'd do it before that's needed, keeping his first-year cap # in 2019 lower. Then in 2020 when it sharply climbs they can trade or outright release Houston if his $17.5MM is needed.

But for other teams, don't discount what an advantage he's had with Houston drawing attention. It's a good sign Ford had his biggest sack day while Houston was out vs Denver. I don't follow KC nearly closely enough to judge if they were just coverage sacks or if he was providing relentless pressure, but on paper he had 5 sacks in those 5 games sans-Houston. His stat line on the year is no joke, though: 7 FFs (!) 13 sacks, 29 QB hits. Don't know what disasters happen if/when he drops back into coverage, but that's not why you add someone like him. Also don't know what he'd be if he had a hand in the dirt most of the time. My thinking is generally if you pay a guy at that level, you plan on putting him in the position that made him most dominant. If he turns out to be more versatile than that well, then bonus. You add a $20MM/year edge rusher then he's the defender you're building the defense around; he's not a piece you force into changing to fit lesser players' strengths. 

I'll say this: the guy picked a hell of a time to have a most dominant season. Good for him.

I really like Burnett & feel if we can land another WR, he's a good back up slot guy for peanuts. If you land Bell & draft another WR if we can trade back, it's going to take some time to develop that WR, so sign a vet to a 1 year contract. If we upgrade the Oline our WRs no matter who they are can get open with more time. Plus our running game was ABYSMAL in the 2nd half of the season, and I mean TERRIBLE!

Don't know if they'll both still be available come mid-March, but looking at that list above, in terms of our need + their availability Paradis and Saffold jump off the screen for me. 

Even if we can land both of them I'd still look for more OL help, but at least then we're not nearly as desperate anymore.

After missing the whole season, Daryl Williams could also be a thought on the right side (pending a physical, etc.), with the idea that: he shouldn't be crazy-expensive or in high demand after missing the whole season; he's just a RT anyway; and it's uncommon to add 3 full-priced FA starters on the OL in one offseason. You never know, but based on history for such injured players he shouldn't get more than the first year guaranteed max, if even that, so he wouldn't be a major investment. (Beachum only got $4.5MM guaranteed by Jax in 2016 after missing most of 2015, and he was a 26 year-old LT not just a RT). If he pans out we'd got a solid experienced starter with a discount over what he'd have been if he was healthy in 2018, and our OL upgrade needs reduced from 4 to 1 heading into the draft. We still have Shell as a dirt-cheap backup plan and revisit in 2020 if he doesn't pan out. Or anyway, let them duke it out ffs and play/keep the better one.

We're likely going to have to draft a LT though if we want to upgrade from Beachum. This is a great year to do it with Beachum's 3rd season not guaranteed, so we don't have to worry about jumping on anything available in FA or pigeon-holing our 1st pick because we have no LT. 

Based on what we've seen, **** Spencer Long, though. Yes it's true he could slide over to be the starting LG himself (with the ability to move over to C in a pinch if needed), and yes that'd be way less $ than a better FA, but it'd cost less for a good reason: he's ****ing worse. The main problem is he has a $3MM roster bonus due in less than month (over a month before FA begins). He hasn't earned a reinvestment before trying to get someone else; otherwise I'd be ok with holding onto him just in case we don't land the upgrade we want. Paying that RB pretty much guarantees his return because the balance of his salary is the same we'd pay to replace him with a different veteran backup. So in practical terms we'd likely have to commit to $6.5MM for him on Feb 6th. Hell, we got him from the leftovers bin before his letdown '18 season. We can and should get better for Darnold.

It's way early yet. We can't talk to them (their agents) until 4pm on March 11th, and we can't officially sign them until 48 hours later. The actual FA list will look different on those days than it does today. It is entertaining, though. 

19 hours ago, CJ Wilson said:

I guess this means no upgrade at WR next year. This is a serious concern!!

I think we desperately need to sign Bell based on this list... not sure how we do better on offense without him. I don’t care who the coach is...

FA: 2-3 linemen and sure I'd make a play for Bell if the out is after 2 seasons. I’m still on the fence with him; I don’t generally see him as a team need, but I see the scenario with Darnold year 2 as unique and want to get him every advantage. 

Draft: WR and hopefully a LT prospect.

I think that's a lot of upgrade for 1 season. Is it perfect? No, but consider the starting point you-know-who has left the team in. 

Personally I'd tag Anderson with a round 1 tag to fully eliminate other negotiating suitors, and extend him this year. Maybe my mind changes if an unexpected veteran is available to us via trade, and maybe it changes based on the combine shuffling things around in an unexpected way. But here in January, my thought is that whatever he's looking for it'll be higher next year as Darnold improves getting him the ball, and for all those who naively think players all want to wait as long as possible to up their dollars, he's already said publicly he wants his extension this year. He'd be guaranteed this year (when we're clearly keeping him anyway) and next year. Plus without the power to negotiate seriously with other teams he's in no position to crap on off-field/behavior clauses that'd let the team off the hook if he violates them. We all know his limitations, but even though he's a more occasional of a playmaker he is still a playmaker. So he's not Julio Jones. How many guys are, and anyway JJ vs. Robby isn't the choice in front of us.

Free agency and the draft is loaded with defense.

i hope we trade down a bit, even if we dont get traditional trade chart value, and pick up at least a second rounder. Then, draft the best playmaker wr and. O line guy in the 1 st and 2 nd and use free agency for more O lineman and a rusher and use the 3 rd round for bpa

My list is...

Grady Jarrett, DT

Matt Paradis, C

Z'Darius Smith, OLB/DE

Donovan Smith, T

Not on the list...

Devin Funchess, WR

Tevin Coleman, RB

Likely won't be available

Trey Flowers, DE

Jarrett and Z. Smith will not cost nearly as much as Clowney, Lawrence or Ford but can be very effective pieces of the D.  If Leo can get us a round 2 pick, I'd take it and draft a DT at #3.  Donovan Smith is a slight upgrade over Beachum and Paradis is a huge upgrade at center.  Funchess can be a soild #2/3.  I just don't think we'll have the resources to get our #1 this year.  A guard, RB, WR and/or T can be found on day 2.

There's a ton of teams with a lot of cap space. My hope is that we land 3 or 4 high quality guys and call it a day. I don't think we are going to be able to fill all our needs because of all the cap space teams have.

My Ideal FA:

1 Offensive Weapon: Leveon Bell

1 WR: Either Adam Humphries, Tyrell Williams, or Jamison Crowder

1 Interior Lineman preferably a Center: Either Mitch Morse, Matt Paradis, Rodger Saffold, or Quinton Spain

1 Edge: Either Frank Clark, or Trey Flowers 

I'd be happy with 1 of the guys in each of those buckets. Then go into the draft and get Bosa if he drops or trade back and go ham on the rest of our needs. 

The microscope is on Macc. He better deliver. We can't see another bad free agency class. 

Archived