Top 50 Free Agents 2019

WayneChrebet80

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Paradis said:

The xmas wish list is going to differ from who'll end up/willing to end up here.

Realistic names;

• RB M Ingram
  • CB Darby
  • OG Saffold
  • OT D Smith
  • C M. Paradis
  • Adam Humphries
  • DE T. Flowers

Getting all 8 might be a bit unrealistic but I would take any 4 of the 8

Jets get Gregg Williams Jets switch to 4-3.

Jets sign Jadaveon Clowney (Texans know Watson will need to get paid). 

Jets sign Trent Brown, weakening the Patriots. 

Jets sign Matt Pardis & upgrade the center position. 

3 impact signings, all of them strengthening the TRENCHES. 

Jets shock everyone by bypassing the 17 million dollar asking Le'veon Bell & sign Tevin Coleman for 7.5 million allowing them to close the 1st part of free agency.

Clowney 16.5 million, Trent Brown 8-10 million, Matt Paradis 10.5 million. Obviously the way contracts are structured no way to really have a feel but even at Max dollar say 44.5 million towards the cap. Still leaves roughly 64 million. 

Jets trade Leonard Williams for a 2nd round pick. 14 million is way too rich, and they do not want to sign him to a long term contract. Adding a #2 & 14.2 million comes off the predetermined 2019 salary cap giving us approx. 78 million. 

Jets resign Roberts, Copeland, Myers, Luvu, Burnett and tag Anderson with a 1st round tag. 

Draft: Jets luck out & Bosa falls. DEs Bosa & Clowney! 

Jets go discount free agency shopping after the draft to fill out the roster, roll money over to 2020 free agency. 

26 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Jets get Gregg Williams Jets switch to 4-3.

Jets sign Jadaveon Clowney (Texans know Watson will need to get paid). 

Jets sign Trent Brown, weakening the Patriots. 

Jets sign Matt Pardis & upgrade the center position. 

3 impact signings, all of them strengthening the TRENCHES. 

Jets shock everyone by bypassing the 17 million dollar asking Le'veon Bell & sign Tevin Coleman for 7.5 million allowing them to close the 1st part of free agency.

Clowney 16.5 million, Trent Brown 8-10 million, Matt Paradis 10.5 million. Obviously the way contracts are structured no way to really have a feel but even at Max dollar say 44.5 million towards the cap. Still leaves roughly 64 million. 

Jets trade Leonard Williams for a 2nd round pick. 14 million is way too rich, and they do not want to sign him to a long term contract. Adding a #2 & 14.2 million comes off the predetermined 2019 salary cap giving us approx. 78 million. 

Jets resign Roberts, Copeland, Myers, Luvu, Burnett and tag Anderson with a 1st round tag. 

Draft: Jets luck out & Bosa falls. DEs Bosa & Clowney! 

Jets go discount free agency shopping after the draft to fill out the roster, roll money over to 2020 free agency. 

This is a very pragmatic list.  I would love Clowney but I'm just not sure he will be available.  If he is, it allows Mac to trade Leo.  I would look to KC with their terrible defense two second round picks, albeit late in the round so they may ask for a fifth round pick as well.  Oakland, with three first round picks could afford to trade their second for Leo.  That could land a good, big receiver.

I like the idea of signing DE Trey Flowers, and OT Trent Brown. It strengthens both of our lines and weakens NEs. 

Then, get an impact interior OL (Paradis, Glowinski), a stud (RB LeVeon Bell), and a cheap crapshoot (WR Kevin White). 

(In the draft, you KNOW we’re going to go defense (DE, DT, or CB) in round 1, and with an aggressive 4-3 playcaller, we can improve by leaps & bounds)

4 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

My list is...

Grady Jarrett, DT

If Leo can get us a round 2 pick, I'd take it and draft a DT at #3.

Is this kid we just drafted in round 3 already written off?

I can't see any GM hiring an offense-minded HC, followed by dumping the $14MM DT/DE he drafted at #6 overall for just a 2nd rounder, only to turn around and sign someone else's DT via FA for $11-12MM/year, and then use the #3 overall pick on yet another DT (effectively writing off yet another 3rd round pick of his after just 1 season).

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Isn't 2019 year 4 of Zeke and Daks contacts? If so they don't need to be re-signed. They will still be on their rookie deals.

Yeah, you might be right. Whenever Lawrence is brought up as potential free agent on TV or radio, it seems they always bring up Zeke and Dak needing contracts soon as a reason they may not be able to give Lawrence his next contract. 

Dak was a 4th round pick, so with no 5th year option 2019 is the last year of his contract. Being a 4th round pick, he has also been incredibly underpaid and is definitely due a new contract (His contract is for 600k a year. It must be a lot easier to resign studs along your oline when your QB is making just over half a mil a year lol) 

Zeke is going into his 4th year too and I would assume will be given his 5th year option in 2020

Bottom line, especially if Greg Williams comes on and we go 4-3, I want one of Lawrence, Clark, or Clowney. If we dont come out of free agency with at least one high level pass rusher, I'll be pissed. 

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

FA: 2-3 linemen and sure I'd make a play for Bell.

Draft: WR and hopefully a LT prospect.

I think that's a lot of upgrade for 1 season. Is it perfect? No, but consider the starting point you-know-who has left the team in. 

Personally I'd tag Anderson with a round 1 tag to fully eliminate other negotiating suitors, and extend him this year. Maybe my mind changes if an unexpected veteran is available to us via trade, and maybe it changes based on the combine shuffling things around in an unexpected way. But here in January, my thought is that whatever he's looking for it'll be higher next year as Darnold improves getting him the ball, and for all those who naively think players all want to wait as long as possible to up their dollars, he's already said publicly he wants his extension this year. He'd be guaranteed this year (when we're clearly keeping him anyway) and next year. Plus without the power to negotiate seriously with other teams he's in no position to crap on off-field/behavior clauses that'd let the team off the hook if he violates them. We all know his limitations, but even though he's a more occasional of a playmaker he is still a playmaker. So he's not Julio Jones. How many guys are, and anyway JJ vs. Robby isn't the choice in front of us.

Definitely agree with the bolded part, although I have a feeling the team will give him a 2nd round tender. We might be fine with 2nd round, but the fact is if we lose Anderson we are in deep sh*t next year. 

Also, if Anderson makes it to training camp without any incidents and their plan is to resign him, I dont let camp finish without getting his new contract done. Right now he has never had a 1k+ yard season and 2018 stats are not too impressive by any means. This should work to our advantage. If they wait until after the season to sign him he and Sam end up having a break out year it's going to be a lot more expensive. 

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

The xmas wish list is going to differ from who'll end up/willing to end up here.

Realistic names;

• RB M Ingram
  • CB Darby
  • OG Saffold
  • OT D Smith
  • C M. Paradis
  • Adam Humphries
  • DE T. Flowers

Good list minus Ingram. Last thing this team needs is Forte v. 2.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Is this kid we just drafted in round 3 already written off?

I can't see any GM hiring an offense-minded HC, followed by dumping the $14MM DT/DE he drafted at #6 overall for just a 2nd rounder, only to turn around and sign someone else's DT via FA for $11-12MM/year, and then use the #3 overall pick on yet another DT (effectively writing off yet another 3rd round pick of his after just 1 season).

I'm going on the assumption that we'll go to a 4-3.  If so, we'll have Grady, pick #3, Anderson (if he puts the weight back on), and Sheppard/Fotukasi.  And we'll need backups.

26 minutes ago, RobR said:

Good list minus Ingram. Last thing this team needs is Forte v. 2.

Didn't say i wanted those guys -- that's what i expect however. I would mostly be fine with it too. 

Selling Ingram a little bit short IMO. i think he'll have 1-2 years in him. Bandaide back... i hope we shoot higher in the draft. 

4 hours ago, Bocajetfan said:

Getting all 8 might be a bit unrealistic but I would take any 4 of the 8

Really, i intentionally picked middle of the road FAs, well a few of them. Humphries is not going to command a lot of money... but i hear you. We never seem to land a ton of name power. 

8 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

Definitely agree with the bolded part, although I have a feeling the team will give him a 2nd round tender. We might be fine with 2nd round, but the fact is if we lose Anderson we are in deep sh*t next year. 

Also, if Anderson makes it to training camp without any incidents and their plan is to resign him, I dont let camp finish without getting his new contract done. Right now he has never had a 1k+ yard season and 2018 stats are not too impressive by any means. This should work to our advantage. If they wait until after the season to sign him he and Sam end up having a break out year it's going to be a lot more expensive. 

I’d like someone to explain the logic behind a 2nd round tag, to save ~$1MM  in an offseason in which we started out ~$100MM under the limit, plus could easily clear still more space if so desired. It would make no sense.

I bet we won’t extend him yet, though. Instead (if we don’t lose him) Darnold will have a much improved sophomore season, and Robby will have his best season yet in a pass-happy offense - between 1100-1300 yds and ~10 TDs - and then in 2020 we’ll extend him at $14MM/year he wouldn’t nearly cost to lock up now.

I can at least get the reluctance of a Robby extension for some, because some simply don’t think he’s worth keeping past this season. A matter of opinion, so fine. But for now tagging for a 1 instead of a 2 is a no-brainer. No one’s parting with any 1st round pick for Robby, however after the draft someone might very well part with a 2020 mid/late 2nd rounder. Then we’ll lose him this season with no replacement, only getting a pick between #50-60 a year later (trade value of a mid-late 3rd in 2019). Maybe not but it’s an unnecessary risk.

9 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

I'm going on the assumption that we'll go to a 4-3.  If so, we'll have Grady, pick #3, Anderson (if he puts the weight back on), and Sheppard/Fotukasi.  And we'll need backups.

I think that’s way too heavy on interior DL. The focus in 2019 should be on making Darnold the best QB he can be. Only defender I even consider at #3 is a unique talent edge rusher. Otherwise if no offensive player is worthy of that pick then move down.

I’ll sooner keep Leo on just the 5th year option with no extension 10x out of 10 before I dump him for just the #50 pick and then burn the #3 overall pick to replace him. Leo’s a relative letdown for his draft slot, but he’s not an outright scrub.

Do that if you must must have that extra DT for this year, and then draft a DT to replace him next year if Leo’s not worth an extension. But if I’m accepting just a 2nd for Leo, then this year that 2nd is the earliest pick I’m using to replace him.

Anderson I thought was a UFA so you’d need to re-sign him to a new contract first. So after making DT Sheppard the only non-Darnold pickup in the first 2 days of the draft last year, and Fotukasi later on, and inking Pennel to a 3-year deal... you want to now dump Leo for a 2nd, then re-sign UFA DT Anderson (he’s not a 43DE) and UFA DT Grady in March, and then in April use the #3 overall pick in the country on yet another DT? What is that, 6 DTs?

IMO that’s more than a little overkill on 300-pound DLmen. 

12 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Considering the money paid to Kirk, Anthony Barr could shake free and would be a nice addition plus a little payback 

Barr would be the one guy from the list they should open up the vault for, then take a swing for Preston Smith. An LB corps of Williamson, Barr, and Smith would be hostile. 

I think they should try to land 3 O lineman in free agency a C, G, and T. Then draft at least 2 O lineman; 3 if the can trade out of #3 for multiple picks. Then those 5  or 6 guys can compete with Shell and Winters and/or Long for starting jobs. Jets need a higher level of competition to improve the O line accross the board.
O line should be the #1 priority. And the #2 priority. And the #3 priority. Bottom line is if they fix the O line, they'll be fine.
Prepare for Edge Rusher at 3.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I’d like someone to explain the logic behind a 2nd round tag, to save ~$1MM  in an offseason in which we started out ~$100MM under the limit, plus could easily clear still more space if so desired. It would make no sense.

I bet we won’t extend him yet, though. Instead (if we don’t lose him) Darnold will have a much improved sophomore season, and Robby will have his best season yet in a pass-happy offense - between 1100-1300 yds and ~10 TDs - and then in 2020 we’ll extend him at $14MM/year he wouldn’t nearly cost to lock up now.

I can at least get the reluctance of a Robby extension for some, because some simply don’t think he’s worth keeping past this season. A matter of opinion, so fine. But for now tagging for a 1 instead of a 2 is a no-brainer. No one’s parting with any 1st round pick for Robby, however after the draft someone might very well part with a 2020 mid/late 2nd rounder. Then we’ll lose him this season with no replacement, only getting a pick between #50-60 a year later (trade value of a mid-late 3rd in 2019). Maybe not but it’s an unnecessary risk.

I'm agreeing with you on the tag. I dont want go risk losing him at this point. I just feel like the Jets always go with the 2nd round tag. Realistically, if you go by Anderson's stats, we probably over value him more than the rest of the league does. I'm not sure any team gives up a 2nd for him but I would still go with the 1st to be safe and at the same time give him a little extra money and (hopefully) get the negotiations going in the right direction. 

On 1/12/2019 at 10:44 AM, DMan77 said:

I'm bad at figuring out cap space and decent salaries and such... But I'd love these four:

Sign Bell (RB)

Sign Ansah (4-3)

Sign Paradis (C)

Sign Ja'Wuan James (OT)

That might be getting close or past the limit... But Bobby Massie would be nice too. He got off to a slow start in his career but he's looked better the last few years and really found a home at RT.

He's going to be farther down on this list for sure but it might be fun to take a chance on Terrell Suggs... He's going to be 37 in October, but he had 7 sacks this year and he could be a real leader out there.

They need to sign 18 or 19 players and hope 4 or 5 draft picks make the roster

I'm no capologist but that sounds expensive lol

On 1/12/2019 at 10:44 AM, DMan77 said:

I'm bad at figuring out cap space and decent salaries and such... But I'd love these four:

Sign Bell (RB)

Sign Ansah (4-3)

Sign Paradis (C)

Sign Ja'Wuan James (OT)

That might be getting close or past the limit... But Bobby Massie would be nice too. He got off to a slow start in his career but he's looked better the last few years and really found a home at RT.

He's going to be farther down on this list for sure but it might be fun to take a chance on Terrell Suggs... He's going to be 37 in October, but he had 7 sacks this year and he could be a real leader out there.

Ansah is a huge injury risk I’d be worried about giving him a big contract 

My concern with Robby is that he has had 2 offseasons in the nfl and had off field problems in each. I am not saying that people don't deserve second chances or anything like that but I wouldn't want to lock him up and guarantee him a fair bit of money to see him get suspended and miss games. If he were willing to sign a deal without big guarantees it would be a different story. By putting a second round tender in Robby we get something back of another team takes him from us while postponeing the risk of a long term commitment?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

13 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

My concern with Robby is that he has had 2 offseasons in the nfl and had off field problems in each. I am not saying that people don't deserve second chances or anything like that but I wouldn't want to lock him up and guarantee him a fair bit of money to see him get suspended and miss games. If he were willing to sign a deal without big guarantees it would be a different story. By putting a second round tender in Robby we get something back of another team takes him from us while postponeing the risk of a long term commitment?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

He's going to be here no matter what this year anyway. You're talking about guaranteeing 1 more year, after which he’s on annual team options they can opt out of any time before week 1.

Plus there's that other thing: they're going to extend him anyway. Only difference is they're going to wait so his dollars go up by 50-80% per season, and as I mentioned there'd be clauses in there for off-field garbage. The guarantees would be in there so long as he stays out of trouble. They'd be for skill and injury but not for getting arrested.

The bigger risk, depending on one's point of view, is sitting on our hands and hoping he wants to re-sign here after we no longer hold the cards and no longer benefit from exclusive negotiations.  Plus he's already shown his hand that he wants an extension now, and everything is about compromise. Remember he hasn't made dick yet. A preseason Keller-like knee explosion, and for the rest of his life he gets nothing but an injury settlement for $2MM before taxes.

#1 priority has to be C, I’d probably want morse the most since he’s young and can also play swingman OT. one of the edge rushers- frank clark, dee ford or lawrence. then if they could add an LB like barr or if they could draft allen the defense would be radically transformed. I’m not in love with the skill positions but I’d like a speed WR like john brown who would probably come cheap too. if there’s money left for bell then sure why not but they need to load up on depth here

Archived