Bob Raissman on Joe Benigno

DMan77

8 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Audiences are more fragmented in every way. We listen and watch to things that appeal to our confirmation biases, be it political or local or sports. Sports is one of the few places Americans come together. But even there, when you look at your credit card and bank statements, why would I pay for things I can get for free. 

There's good reason newspapers and even well-supported publications are going away. What they did or do is done by websites like this. Between the internet and cable, all the games and the information under them  are out there for the taking, usually without having to pay for it(parenthetically Barstool this very day is trying to get people to pony up $1 per week; not happening) . Nobody has to wait a week for SI or to watch some highlight show at 11PM Sunday night. All the games and all the data are right here. And since what the media does isn't all that exclusive like it might have been before cable/internet, they're chasing fewer and dumber customers.So the shows are now way sillier; nonsense about end zone dances or anything on ESPN.

Few examples:

Benigno is right there. It's an act. Someone at FAN told him it would be good for business to pull this nonsense. Don't think much of Mehta nor Costello, but on this, they spoke to people involved and reported it. Those sources may have agendas, but that is their job. 

Am subjected on the treadmill to what ever abomination Mike Greenberg does every morning; how did this flaming bag of nuclear poop that tries to appeal to everyone and fails, get on the air in the first place? Jalen Rose is going to break down what ever insignificant nonsense happened in the NBA last night that no thinking person cares about until mid-May (but since ESPN/ABC overpaid ridiculously for worthless NBA regular season rights...), and there's a chick so...

Michael Irvin still has a job. Can anyone explain this? Never heard an interesting or original thought from this guy, though anything he says is shouted and incoherent, as if he has been out all night on a coke bender. Dresses like he was runnerup in the "Pimp of the Year" competition. This is what network TV thinks is what the audience wants and responds to. 

Screaming A Smith...also still employed. Again, ESPN overpaid for the NBA, let's beat the audience over the head with updates Lebron James' bowel movements. If you want hours long speculation about how the Bulls or Sixers or Knicks might fit Lebron and Kevin Durant under the cap in 2028, he's your guy. This guy after the Doug Brien game got on the air and said the Jets should have kicked the potential winning OT FG on 3rd down so if it missed they could then try again on 4th down. 

Mike Francesa saying his picks have value for $8.99 a month; is there any degenerate gambler who is waiting around for Francesa or anyone's pick? They're simply filling a segment of air time and holding themselves out as an expert. 

It's going to get even worse. Because like Manish Mehta's Daily News, once these outlets start losing money to the point they're going  close, it's going to be more screaming and shilling. It's gonna get even dumber. 

Ypu know what, thank you for the Michael Irvin thing. I have been wondering for years why this guy is on TV. 

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I think the media becomes an issue for the Johnsons because I don’t think either of them are very plugged in with the other owners of the league, which makes it hard to find and hire personnel. Every time they’ve had to replace the coach or GM, they treat it like they’re sending signals into outer space trying to find alien life. Pair that with the obvious: neither Chris nor Woody seem to understand or even enjoy football, so the only way they become informed that they have a problem with their product is when the media is telling them these things are problems. Where else would they be getting their information from?

Sadly, true. Most obvious example; Anyone who lives in NYC knew that the West Side stadium was politically never going to happen. Dolan, after losing his bid for the Jets, was going to pull every trap door he could. But Johnson wanted to believe it,and hired and overpaid people whom he stupidly believed were going to help make it happen. All the marketing and wonderful artists' depictions weren't going to change that. And common sense Big Picture; having MSG, the WSS and Metlife along a 7 mile stretch with the Lincoln Tunnel in the middle is really a disgraceful misallocation of resources. We have rail tunnels on their last legs under the Hudson and East Rivers,and you have to be mentally ill to try to drive into Manhattan. The WSS would have made that exponentially worse. If Johnson had any sense he would have happily tried to get a stadium with the Mets and the tennis center. 

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

Sadly, true. Most obvious example; Anyone who lives in NYC knew that the West Side stadium was politically never going to happen. Dolan, after losing his bid for the Jets, was going to pull every trap door he could. But Johnson wanted to believe it,and hired and overpaid people whom he stupidly believed were going to help make it happen. All the marketing and wonderful artists' depictions weren't going to change that. And common sense Big Picture; having MSG, the WSS and Metlife along a 7 mile stretch with the Lincoln Tunnel in the middle is really a disgraceful misallocation of resources. We have rail tunnels on their last legs under the Hudson and East Rivers,and you have to be mentally ill to try to drive into Manhattan. The WSS would have made that exponentially worse. If Johnson had any sense he would have happily tried to get a stadium with the Mets and the tennis center. 

Oh please, the WSS didn't  get built because that corrupt  A-hole Silver wasn't  paid off.any fool could see the bid Dolan was making to build there was BS. And having a stadium in NY would not make traffic worse. NY has one of the best mass transit systems in the world, it's just old but it runs well 90% of the time. Why would anyone drive into the city, pay outrageous  parking fees and tolls to get there when you can spend less than $6 round trip and take a train and be back home in under an hour. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I’m not sure that saying “But they have Neil Glat” really rebuts my claim.

Glib. But my point stands. Organizations are reliant on the internal voices of their management. the Johnsons hired these people to do exactly that. No different than any other corporate entity. That includes filtering media chatter through their PR and communications staff. I'm not making any claim for the quality of the staff, merely that those are the voices that matter. Idiots in the press are focused on listeners/readers and each other. Only the truly grandiose ones think they actually have an impact on the organizations they report on. 

37 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Oh please, the WSS didn't  get built because that corrupt  A-hole Silver wasn't  paid off.any fool could see the bid Dolan was making to build there was BS. And having a stadium in NY would not make traffic worse. NY has one of the best mass transit systems in the world, it's just old but it runs well 90% of the time. Why would anyone drive into the city, pay outrageous  parking fees and tolls to get there when you can spend less than $6 round trip and take a train and be back home in under an hour. 

Well, yeah; that was something Johnson and his overpaid stooge Doctoroff should have known on Day 1. 

On 1/12/2019 at 10:41 AM, Nixhead said:

Benigno is a big Jets fan and he is just sick of the losing. Sometimes he’s right and sometimes he’s wrong. In this occasion I think he’s wrong but Gase and the Jets are gonna have to prove it. As far as history goes he’s more than likely right cause the Jets have been bad for 8 years now but I think he will wind up being wrong in this occasion. Let him rant and rave - who cares cause it’s good radio. I just hope Gase and the Jets probe him wrong!

I conceded right after Gase being hired that even though I wanted McCarthy there was no guarentee that McCarthy would be better for the Jets as HC than Gase.

On 1/12/2019 at 10:30 AM, WayneChrebet80 said:

Disagree here. I don’t listen to sports talk radio, but the Jets made a lousy hire and deserve to be criticized. 

I disagree.  I wanted McCarthy but Gase was the second best coach available 

2 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

I conceded right after Gase being hired that even though I wanted McCarthy there was no guarentee that McCarthy would be better for the Jets as HC than Gase.

I wanted McCarthy because of his history working with quarterbacks and I have no doubt Sam does really well in his system.  That said I think Gase can coach and us a better version of Mangini I’m just concerned he will scare free agents away

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

1. Raissman’s job as a sports media critic is to troll the FAN, and he’s writing this column to stick up for his NYDN colleague, Manish. Raissman and Phil Mushnick are horrible people who have Mike Francesa to thank for their otherwise valueless careers. 

2. New York sports media used to be great pre-digital because you had old salts actually doing legwork to cover the team. Now, it’s just a bunch of kids blogging their feelings about the teams they ostensibly cover from their mother’s couches. It’s a shame. 

3. The FAN, too, is doomed because of awful personnel decisions. The morning show with Boomer has always been embarrassing (it’s less bad with Carton in the penitentiary, however). Benigno was fun on his own doing overnights, especially after a Jets loss, because it was a place to vent. Pairing him with Roberts has sucked because Evan is like white noise; incapable of producing an original or interesting thought. Francesa is operating at 35% mental capacity these days and is really just doing shtick at this point, and his show feels like paying to see Frank Sinatra Jr do his dad’s greatest hits. 

Spot on

9 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  know. If you listen to a lot of sports radio, you realize there is an agenda. Michael  Kay who I think is a pretty good host still says some of the stupidest things so Don McGrecor can argue with him. I am sure Kay doesn't  personally believe half of what he says but he says it because it makes for a good radio show and insites his listeners  to call in and argue. It's  good radio. Similar things can be said for print writers. Sports news is what you want ot to be, it just depends on who you choose to pay attention  to. 

I understand your point, but saying the words "Michael Kay" and "good radio show" in the same sentence nearly made me have an aneurysm. 

8 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Glib. But my point stands. Organizations are reliant on the internal voices of their management. the Johnsons hired these people to do exactly that. No different than any other corporate entity. That includes filtering media chatter through their PR and communications staff. I'm not making any claim for the quality of the staff, merely that those are the voices that matter. Idiots in the press are focused on listeners/readers and each other. Only the truly grandiose ones think they actually have an impact on the organizations they report on. 

Right, but my point is that because the Johnsons seemingly don’t know the league, all of their hires are relatively sh*tty. Those people you listed are nobodies and influence no one.

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Right, but my point is that because the Johnsons seemingly don’t know the league, all of their hires are relatively sh*tty. Those people you listed are nobodies and influence no one.

Quick, off the top of your head, name the executive staff of the New England Patriots... yeah, I thought so. Nobodies. I guess they don't influence anyone either. But Joe Benigno and Manish Mehta do? We have now fully landed in an absurdist twilight zone only possible on a fan message board.

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Quick, off the top of your head, name the executive staff of the New England Patriots... yeah, I thought so. Nobodies. I guess they don't influence anyone either. But Joe Benigno and Manish Mehta do? We have now fully landed in an absurdist twilight zone only possible on a fan message board.

I'm trying to understand the point you are trying to make. What does knowing an obscure fact like who are the Pats executives are have to do with anything discussed on a message board?

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I'm trying to understand the point you are trying to make. What does knowing an obscure fact like who are the Pats executives are have to do with anything discussed on a message board?

You didn't follow this particular conversation. Shane believes that the Johnsons don't know other owners so they rely on the press. I pointed out that they have a substantial internal executive group that they work with, as any organization. Shane dismissed them as nobodies. Thus my question, why should we know any of these people on any team. That we don't know them doesn't mean they don't play a major role in decision making. 

2 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

You didn't follow this particular conversation. Shane believes that the Johnsons don't know other owners so they rely on the press. I pointed out that they have a substantial internal executive group that they work with, as any organization. Shane dismissed them as nobodies. Thus my question, why should we know any of these people on any team. That we don't know them doesn't mean they don't play a major role in decision making. 

Didn't they hire Ron Wolf and Casserly to help last time? 

3 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

And were you talking about coaching staff decisions, because I'm fairly sure nobody but Mac and CJ were involved in that 

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

And were you talking about coaching staff decisions, because I'm fairly sure nobody but Mac and CJ were involved in that 

No. the only issue is whether the Johnsons are dependent on the media for their decision-making. This is a continuation of the stupid conspiracy theory that Mehta somehow engineered the hiring of Gase. It was a dumb idea, and it's still a dumb idea.

20 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Yes. Which doesn't negate what I'm saying. The idea that the Johnson rely on the media for their decision making is ridiculous. Organizations hire consultants all the time.

Actually I think it supports what you are saying. Ron Wolf is a respected executive.

20 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

No. the only issue is whether the Johnsons are dependent on the media for their decision-making. This is a continuation of the stupid conspiracy theory that Mehta somehow engineered the hiring of Gase. It was a dumb idea, and it's still a dumb idea.

Ok, I agree with that

22 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Mehta engineered nothing he's just a glorified messenger for the Johnson Bros

Archived