Jets’ pursuit of former Packers coach Mike McCarthy collapsed over staffing issues

Patriot Killa

24 minutes ago, CTM said:

Come on guys, this is quite clearly damage control from Team McCarthy. His agents job now is to make him a hot candidate for one of the handful of positions that will be available next year, there is no freaken way the agent wants to leave the idea out there that Jests of all teams rejected him. Not good for his 2020 prospects

Look at the vagueness of the language around the Jets interest, careful not to outright lie or state anything directly untrue. (bolded below)

•  "talks broke down"  - not McCarthy rejected/withdrew or any other hard language to describe a definite action.
  • "McCarthy harbored concerns" - but in the same sentence says he had a productive interview, and again weak
  •  "began to have reservations" "unsure if they were a match" - vague and soft language again, not trying to out and out lie but rather create the narrative that it was McCarthy who was the impetus for the split, not the Jets.
  •  It even later acknowledge the Jets were in deep talks with Rhule at the same  (making it clear that he wasn't their only option or top choice) and then camps onto the same staffing excuse that Rhule publicly complained about (I 100% believe the Jets asked to see staff and expressed some reservations) (also, he has the same agent as Rhule)
  • "before it reach a job offer" - acknowledges they never offered the job to keep within the realm of truth

Next contrast that with how many times the article talks up McCarthy in strong and definitive language (bolded red below)

• "very strong possibility " that he doesn't coach!! very strong!
  • "jets were very interested" - very very!!
  • "former Lombardi Trophy winner" - don't forget he won a SB!!
  • "McCarthy rebuffed strong overtures from the Cardinals" -  not very strong overtures??
  • "Jets were his most serious pursuer... but it was going to be a bit of a long shot" ... Yes you said that earlier, Jets very interested, but they had to bend over to get him
  • "McCarthy was always going to be very judicious about any job he took". Yes you said that 2x already but this time added back in "very"
  • "it was going take the perfect pitch to land him". Still repeating yourself. We get it, he is a SB winner and was going to be very discerning (very) because he could be as a SB winner who won a SB
  • "McCarthy will be watching film and following the league closely in 2019..... " . This is how the article closes. He's going to be putting in the work, don't forget about him next year or even mid year, just in case you need him then.  he'll be ready

gimme a freaken break. weak

Jets' pursuit of former Packers coach Mike McCarthy collapsed over staffing issues

There was always a very strong possibility that former Packers coach Mike McCarthy would sit out the 2019 season, as previously reported, and after his negotiations with the Jets fell apart that is precisely the case. League sources said the Jets were very interested in the former Lombardi Trophy winner but talks broke off over staffing issues.

McCarthy rebuffed strong overtures from the Cardinals before the end of the regular season, as reported, and he and the Browns were never going to be a match, something both sides knew throughout the process. There was little mutual interested and he never seriously spoke to Browns general manager John Dorsey – who he worked with in Green Bay – about the job, sources said. The Jets were his most serious pursuer, but even then it was always going to be a bit of a long shot.

McCarthy harbored some concerns about the structure and composition of the Jets front office, sources said, though he did have a productive interview with ownership and team officials. However, as the Jets began deeper conversations with their finalists for the job, it became clear he was not going to mesh with their direction. Specifically, sources said, the Jets asked to see a list of a potential coaching staff so that they could peruse and consider the options. McCarthy complied with the request but began to have reservations about the process at this point, sources said, and was unsure if this would in fact be a match.

McCarthy was always going to be very judicious about any job he took, with the Packers owing him roughly $9 million next season, according to sources, and with his family so entrenched in the Green Bay area. He was blindsided by his in-season firing, according to confidants, and it was going to take the perfect pitch to land him on the heels of that. Talks broke down essentially over the issue of staffing, sources said, before it reached the stage where the job was outright offered to McCarthy.

The Jets were also deep in talks with Baylor coach Matt Rhule at the same time, and he ultimately withdrew as well over staffing issues; Rhule wanted to bring a staff of primarily college coaches, which the Jets had concerns with. Adam Gase, who accepted the position, will have a staff of experienced NFL coaches coming in with him, which could include a former NFL head coach as the defensive coordinator – Gregg Williams is among those under consideration.

McCarthy will be watching film and following the league closely in 2019, and will also be fully able to interview with teams at any point in the season should clubs continue the trend of in-season firings.

Loser

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

What are you disappointed that Maccagnan wasn’t able to blow $100Mill on Cousins in a pure job saving move?

I don't think it's a positive our GM consistently fails to close the deal on his first choice.  Do you?

I posted a few times that I learned not long ago that Cousins has a 4-25 record against winning teams.

Yet he was the clear-cut #1 choice of Macc that offseason.  Same as McCarthy (or some say Harbaugh) was his #1 choice this year.  

Logic would dictate that Minnesota just wasted a ton of money.  They’re not going to win with him.

They might, they might not.  Same as us with Darnold.  

But Macc clearly thought he could win with Cousins, and went after him hard.  Darnold, or should I say "whichever QB fell to pick #3" was Macc's 2nd choice.  

Maccagnan is a total joke at this point.

Then what are we arguing about? :-D

There’s no one on planet earth who can articulate what kind of plan Maccagnan has had in trying to build the Jets, much less himself.  Like I’ve said before it’s nothing but a hodge podge of sh*t thrown against a wall.

Exactly.

The Jets still do business in a bad way.

Indeed we do.  I hope Gase is the same kind of lucky miracle Darnold appears to be.  

4 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

So basically, the Jets simply went with the guy most willing to be their whipping boy.  That's really just fantastic.

If that's what you took away from the article, then you obviously came to it with your agenda firmly fixed. It's become pretty clear to anyone who is following this that McCarthy was ambivalent at best and planned to bring in staff that did not impress the Jets. Those are very good reasons to say "see you later." Nothing to do with Gase, everything to do with McCarthy.

3 hours ago, CTM said:

Nonsense. Dude leaked that he only had eyes for the Jets the night before Gase was hired. Then he dropped out of coaching in 19 completely when we hired Gase.

This is his agent trying to make it look like he wasnt rejected, but he was, for better or worse.

Rejected by the Johnson brothers. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I don't think it's a positive our GM consistently fails to close the deal on his first choice.  Do you?

Yet he was the clear-cut #1 choice of Macc that offseason.  Same as McCarthy (or some say Harbaugh) was his #1 choice this year.  

They might, they might not.  Same as us with Darnold.  

But Macc clearly thought he could win with Cousins, and went after him hard.  Darnold, or should I say "whichever QB fell to pick #3" was Macc's 2nd choice.  

Then what are we arguing about? :-D

Exactly.

Indeed we do.  I hope Gase is the same kind of lucky miracle Darnold appears to be.  

That’s the only hope, that Gase is the same lucky miracle.  There is also a possibility that Darnold just takes over everything a la Peyton Manning, and it really won’t matter who his coach is and luckiest will be Maccagnan who will be able to stay in his job like a parasite.

i wasn’t trying to start any argument with you?, just want the world to know what a terrible move (are there any others?, outside of 3%) from Maccagnan getting Cousins would have been.  Only if he didn’t luck into Darnold and the choice was only Rosen or Allen could I see it making just a little sense.  Cousins couldn’t even make the playoffs with Diggs and Thielan, can you imagine his 1st year with the Jets?

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

You realize who "the team" is right?

Yes.

I didn't want McCarthy if it meant Joe Philbin and Ben McAdoo came along too.  Apparently the Browns or Jets didn't want that either because that is, reportedly, why Cleveland cancelled his interview and why we didn't select him.  It reeks of "I'm not the one who is out of touch, everyone else is out of touch".  My sole hope when he came out as a candidate was that McCarthy had learned from his mistakes in GB and the system he was running, just as Andy Reid did when he was fired from Philly.  Reid didn't bring his entire failed Eagles staff with him to KC.  He reflected, adapted, and changed.  It's clear from this, that McCarthy hasn't done the same.

Rhule wanted to bring an entire college staff with him.  I'm not risking Sam's entire development on that working out.  I wanted Rhule because I thought he was a good "CEO" HC who could be paired with NFL coordinators and change our fortune.  Apparently Rhule wanted to make us the East Coast Baylor.  

3 hours ago, CTM said:

Come on guys, this is quite clearly damage control from Team McCarthy. His agents job now is to make him a hot candidate for one of the handful of positions that will be available next year, there is no freaken way the agent wants to leave the idea out there that Jests of all teams rejected him. Not good for his 2020 prospects

Look at the vagueness of the language around the Jets interest, careful not to outright lie or state anything directly untrue. (bolded below)

•  "talks broke down"  - not McCarthy rejected/withdrew or any other hard language to describe a definite action.
  • "McCarthy harbored concerns" - but in the same sentence says he had a productive interview, and again weak
  •  "began to have reservations" "unsure if they were a match" - vague and soft language again, not trying to out and out lie but rather create the narrative that it was McCarthy who was the impetus for the split, not the Jets.
  •  It even later acknowledge the Jets were in deep talks with Rhule at the same  (making it clear that he wasn't their only option or top choice) and then camps onto the same staffing excuse that Rhule publicly complained about (I 100% believe the Jets asked to see staff and expressed some reservations) (also, he has the same agent as Rhule)
  • "before it reach a job offer" - acknowledges they never offered the job to keep within the realm of truth

Next contrast that with how many times the article talks up McCarthy in strong and definitive language (bolded red below)

• "very strong possibility " that he doesn't coach!! very strong!
  • "jets were very interested" - very very!!
  • "former Lombardi Trophy winner" - don't forget he won a SB!!
  • "McCarthy rebuffed strong overtures from the Cardinals" -  not very strong overtures??
  • "Jets were his most serious pursuer... but it was going to be a bit of a long shot" ... Yes you said that earlier, Jets very interested, but they had to bend over to get him
  • "McCarthy was always going to be very judicious about any job he took". Yes you said that 2x already but this time added back in "very"
  • "it was going take the perfect pitch to land him". Still repeating yourself. We get it, he is a SB winner and was going to be very discerning (very) because he could be as a SB winner who won a SB
  • "McCarthy will be watching film and following the league closely in 2019..... " . This is how the article closes. He's going to be putting in the work, don't forget about him next year or even mid year, just in case you need him then.  he'll be ready

gimme a freaken break. weak

Jets' pursuit of former Packers coach Mike McCarthy collapsed over staffing issues

There was always a very strong possibility that former Packers coach Mike McCarthy would sit out the 2019 season, as previously reported, and after his negotiations with the Jets fell apart that is precisely the case. League sources said the Jets were very interested in the former Lombardi Trophy winner but talks broke off over staffing issues.

McCarthy rebuffed strong overtures from the Cardinals before the end of the regular season, as reported, and he and the Browns were never going to be a match, something both sides knew throughout the process. There was little mutual interested and he never seriously spoke to Browns general manager John Dorsey – who he worked with in Green Bay – about the job, sources said. The Jets were his most serious pursuer, but even then it was always going to be a bit of a long shot.

McCarthy harbored some concerns about the structure and composition of the Jets front office, sources said, though he did have a productive interview with ownership and team officials. However, as the Jets began deeper conversations with their finalists for the job, it became clear he was not going to mesh with their direction. Specifically, sources said, the Jets asked to see a list of a potential coaching staff so that they could peruse and consider the options. McCarthy complied with the request but began to have reservations about the process at this point, sources said, and was unsure if this would in fact be a match.

McCarthy was always going to be very judicious about any job he took, with the Packers owing him roughly $9 million next season, according to sources, and with his family so entrenched in the Green Bay area. He was blindsided by his in-season firing, according to confidants, and it was going to take the perfect pitch to land him on the heels of that. Talks broke down essentially over the issue of staffing, sources said, before it reached the stage where the job was outright offered to McCarthy.

The Jets were also deep in talks with Baylor coach Matt Rhule at the same time, and he ultimately withdrew as well over staffing issues; Rhule wanted to bring a staff of primarily college coaches, which the Jets had concerns with. Adam Gase, who accepted the position, will have a staff of experienced NFL coaches coming in with him, which could include a former NFL head coach as the defensive coordinator – Gregg Williams is among those under consideration.

McCarthy will be watching film and following the league closely in 2019, and will also be fully able to interview with teams at any point in the season should clubs continue the trend of in-season firings.

Good work Padawan.

So, if true, the Jets are concerned about coordinators - after Rogers and more importantly Bates - can you blame them? Rhule wanted college coordinators - taking a chance on a college HC is one thing, putting Darnold's future on a college HC AND a college OC isn't going to fly especially with the difference in offenses (and defenses) between college and the pros.

So, Jets wanted to know who McCarthy wanted, and McCarthy, used to running the show, wasn't interested. No big deal. It wasn't like the Jets said they were going to pick the coordinators for them. Or, when GMs were told that they had to keep Ryan.

It didn't work out. Jets moved on. McCarthy's team seems to have sour grapes about it. Either way, I think we dodge a bullet.

7 hours ago, Vader said:

so… Adam Gase submitted whom for DC?

Vance Joseph…. couldn’t be since he went elsewhere

Pagano… nope, not available

Gregg Williams… whom he’s never met?

Something doesn’t add up here

And it was supposedly McCarthy who was concerned after he submitted the coaching  choices. Not the Jets concerned about his staff choices? And why would they be? 

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Exactly, but if you ask @Jet Nut there was no evidence that Gase wasn't the first choice. 

Exactly,evidence.  Your evidence, wait, is another fan who has been ripping the team since the announcement as much or more than anyone.  Ok

Just a hint, read this time, citing someone who has been ripping every part of the HC search and Gase might not be your best way to prove something that you can't prove.  

Because you still haven't proven that if he came to the table with a different staff he would have gotten the job, only with the staff he picked he didn't.  Logic, try it

4 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

McCarthy didn't want to be micro-managed, I wouldn't want that either.  Don't blame him for not taking the job. 

This is nothing but stuff you're making up, and it's complete nonsense. But its your movie, you get to write the ending!

50 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Exactly,evidence.  Your evidence, wait, is another fan who has been ripping the team since the announcement as much or more than anyone.  Ok

Just a hint, read this time, citing someone who has been ripping every part of the HC search and Gase might not be your best way to prove something that you can't prove.  

Because you still haven't proven that if he came to the table with a different staff he would have gotten the job, only with the staff he picked he didn't.  Logic, try it

Blee-blah-bloo-blah... what you're saying isn't logic. It's just Jet Nut angry-strawman nonsense.

4 hours ago, CTM said:

lol, you think this is easy being the homer here?

McCarthy wanted this job. I have no doubt that Mac didn't want him around for political reasons but everything points to the fact that team McCarthy was left at the alter here.

also, people falling for that article is annoying

The article was blatant agent spin. Only posters anti-Mac/Johnson bias (although deserved) blinds them to this obviousness.

McCarthy freakin put out a statement that he wanted the Jets job right before the Jets hired Gase. He wanted the job, was rejected rather than turned it down and now his agent wants to make sure he's still a candidate in 2020.

7 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Don't care. I'm tired of rehashing the past and the Gase hiring has grown on me.  

I wanted McCarthy, but dont want Ben McAdoo any where near Sam, and hopefully the Jets thought the same. We'll see.

You already took your rosy pill like most here these kind of threads are not good for your health. lol

11 minutes ago, SMC said:

The article was blatant agent spin. Only posters anti-Mac/Johnson bias (although deserved) blinds them to this obviousness.

McCarthy freakin put out a statement that he wanted the Jets job right before the Jets hired Gase. He wanted the job, was rejected rather than turned it down and now his agent wants to make sure he's still a candidate in 2020.

Only poster anti-Mac and CJ bias  WHAT HAD MAC AND CJ done for the Jets other than messing thing up?  The dummie did not fired a gm that put together A roster mostly of college players in 4 years.  So, no those two clowns do not have the benefits of the doubt.

3 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

Almost every Jets fans on this board have been ripping Macc and Johnson’s non stop the last few years and now you want them picking and or approving coordinators. How quick the narrative changes.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Most of us are trying to stay positive a big relief came when they fired Todd Bowles. 

53 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Blee-blah-bloo-blah... what you're saying isn't logic. It's just Jet Nut angry-strawman nonsense.

Says who, you? Who's proof is an angry poster?  Lol

Angry strawman.  Do you have anything else?  Something real?  Something, you know, on point?  Nah

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Most of us are trying to stay positive a big relief came when they fired Todd Bowles. 

In the past, McCarthy is the kind of coach we wish for as Jets fan.  I’m sick and tired of the negative campaigns against him to justify the Gase hiring.   McCathy resurrected Favre’s career and then groomed Rodgers from the time he almost fell out of the first round to the players he became.  I will definitely come around by the time the season start but I feel that we just pulled another typical sh*t like Jets move.

54 minutes ago, DRJETS said:

Only poster anti-Mac and CJ bias  WHAT HAD MAC AND CJ done for the Jets other than messing thing up?  The dummie did not fired a gm that put together A roster mostly of college players in 4 years.  So, no those two clowns do not have the benefits of the doubt.

This has nothing to do with benefit of the doubt. Fans are just finding any excuse to criticize Mac and CJ. They'll go so far as concoct a lie, such as falsely claiming that McCarthy turned down the job.

McCarthy was my No. 1 choice but the facts is that the Jets chose someone else while McCarthy still wanted the job.

Truth still matters.

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Says who, you? Who's proof is an angry poster?  Lol

Angry strawman.  Do you have anything else?  Something real?  Something, you know, on point?  Nah

I need proof that you're always 10-levels past angry and always building strawman arguments?

9 hours ago, Butterfield said:

So outside agencies are useless, as are internal human resources departments?  Sounds like someone holds a grudge.

What I was trying to convey--perhaps inartfully--is that the reason agencies are needed is precisely because in-house human resource departments are (without exception from my own empirical evidence working for five multi-nationals) utterly useless. I have always found and self-sourced my own hires after reviewing the worthless drek returned by the HR "process" and yes, in some cases agencies (including KF). If you know your business, you have contacts and are in the best position to find and source talent. HR are at best, a bunch of generalists and if their rolodex is better than yours in your area of expertise, shame on you.

Apologies to any HR professionals here but my experience is everyone goes along with HR's programs/trainings/etc just to avoid being labeled a malcontent or "lacking EQ" (the go-to criticism by the brainiacs who don't understand the business). I see HR as a check-the-box. Activate their process, while you conduct a parallel search using your contacts. It's an emperor's new clothes situation to me. That said, plenty of HR folks are nice people and fun to hang out with. I just think their job is at best--grossly inflated--but more realistically just a gate that everyone has to go through to get anything done despite them never adding any value. All IMHO.

9 hours ago, Vader said:

as someone who does consulting, this is on point. People with money that don’t want to hire permanent management hire consultants. there is a great advantage to doing this for certain situations. Football is not one of them, it’s too specific, too quick-moving, and relationship-based, especially if you aren’t going to fold into the org the wherewithal you obtain from the consultants into your operation going forward. 

Bingo.

50 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I need proof that you're always 10-levels past angry and always building strawman arguments?

Not mad and not the strawman.  

Made a simple point way back and you had to play the dick.  No problem. 

13 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Mccarthy didn’t refuse the job. He never received the call for a second interview.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I think the Jets refused him.  The did not reject him personally. They did not want a replica of a Bowles coaching staff.  They learned how inportant coaching staffs are.  Jeremy Bates and Kacy Rodgers.  That is all I have to say.

19 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So basically the sojf fanbase believes whatever they read, provided it's a negative take on the Jets front office/ownership.

This could be McCarthy leaking info to save face but there is no chance you'd ever accept that plausible version of events 

Yeah, yeah McCarthy is unemployed today because that's what he really wants. He's just too good for every team in the NFL. Poor guy.

But don't you worry, he'll be"locked and loaded" next year, right??? 

and the d*cisucking brigade who were fellating McCarthy before they heard he opted out and blaming everything on Aaron Rodgers?? You act like only one side is ridiculous.

7 hours ago, jgb said:

What I was trying to convey--perhaps inartfully--is that the reason agencies are needed is precisely because in-house human resource departments are (without exception from my own empirical evidence working for five multi-nationals) utterly useless. I have always found and self-sourced my own hires after reviewing the worthless drek returned by the HR "process" and yes, in some cases agencies (including KF). If you know your business, you have contacts and are in the best position to find and source talent. HR are at best, a bunch of generalists and if their rolodex is better than yours in your area of expertise, shame on you.

Apologies to any HR professionals here but my experience is everyone goes along with HR's programs/trainings/etc just to avoid being labeled a malcontent or "lacking EQ" (the go-to criticism by the brainiacs who don't understand the business). I see HR as a check-the-box. Activate their process, while you conduct a parallel search using your contacts. It's an emperor's new clothes situation to me. That said, plenty of HR folks are nice people and fun to hang out with. I just think their job is at best--grossly inflated--but more realistically just a gate that everyone has to go through to get anything done despite them never adding any value. All IMHO.

Bingo.

You come off like a pompous idiot. 

Archived