Jump to content
Patriot Killa

Jets’ pursuit of former Packers coach Mike McCarthy collapsed over staffing issues

Recommended Posts

I wanted McCarthy, but didn’t Macadoo make some pretty harsh comments about Darnold? Am I wrong about that?

If mccarthy wanted to bring him in, we should have reservations about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Pac said:

wrong.

Homers gonna homer.

If you think Gase was the #1 choice all along, I have a bridge to sell you Homer.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NoBowles said:

I wanted McCarthy, but didn’t Macadoo make some pretty harsh comments about Darnold? Am I wrong about that?

If mccarthy wanted to bring him in, we should have reservations about that.

Sam I want you to meet your new QB coach:

 

image.png.b03d4e794b37141553d5971b3400aa21.png

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Warfish said:

Homers gonna homer.

riddle me this logic man. 

why was mccarthy begging for the job like a stuck pig a day before the Jets dashed his dream?

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Amazing.

Once again, Macc is the problem and Macc winds up with his second (or third tbqh) choice and tries to make it look like it was the plan all along.

McCarthy balked because Macc is a bad GM, a bad GM who wanted to control who McCarthy, a 13 year NFL Head Coach and Super Bowl winner, wanted on his staff.  What an amazingly poorly handled minor league move by Macc, trying to micromanage the staff like that for a guy with 100x times the resume Macc has.  And a sure indication that Macc would give McCarthy problems with the roster and talent too.

Macc then blows the deal with Rhule, same issue.  At least in this case a bit more justified, although if you're hard after a college coach with no real pro resume, because you know, youth and college offenses or something, why balk at college assistant coaches too?

So, we wind up with Gase, the contestant behind door #3.  Is what it is, and we'll all have to root for him (and getting Gregg Williams is a nice consolation prize if it happens), but once again (like with Cousins) it looks like Macc is a complete failure at closing the deal and getting the best, first choices for our Jets.  Maybe it'll work out, but damn, does Macc mange via failure or what?

Why is everyone assuming Mac has this much influence over a hire that won’t report to him? I mean, maybe he does, but it seems odd that MAC would have so much influence over someone who will report to his boss. And if Mac did have this much say, seems odd he would pick Gase who undoubtedly will throw him under the bus in 2 seconds flat the minute things don’t go well

  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Amazing.

Once again, Macc is the problem and Macc winds up with his second (or third tbqh) choice and tries to make it look like it was the plan all along.

McCarthy balked because Macc is a bad GM, a bad GM who wanted to control who McCarthy, a 13 year NFL Head Coach and Super Bowl winner, wanted on his staff.  What an amazingly poorly handled minor league move by Macc, trying to micromanage the staff like that for a guy with 100x times the resume Macc has.  And a sure indication that Macc would give McCarthy problems with the roster and talent too.

Macc then blows the deal with Rhule, same issue.  At least in this case a bit more justified, although if you're hard after a college coach with no real pro resume, because you know, youth and college offenses or something, why balk at college assistant coaches too?

So, we wind up with Gase, the contestant behind door #3.  Is what it is, and we'll all have to root for him (and getting Gregg Williams is a nice consolation prize if it happens), but once again (like with Cousins) it looks like Macc is a complete failure at closing the deal and getting the best, first choices for our Jets.  Maybe it'll work out, but damn, does Macc mange via failure or what?

Woody Johnson is the problem. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Vader said:

after going through the Jets and NY media’s Kremlinish Propaganda Machine he actually needs a PR firm 

Yeah, now how do you excuse off the same things being said out of the national media?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, now how do you excuse off the same things being said out of the national media?

Everything that’s come out of the national media has been funneled through CAA.

No one with a straight face can sell Adam Gase being a good coach or a good hire. He just flamed out in Miami. Good lord. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

It sounds like the Jets have come under the impression that they gave Bowles too much free reign, and totally allowed him to pick and maintain his own staff without checks and balances. And, they do not want to repeat that presumed mistake, particularly with Darnold as a commodity.

You can also surmise that they feel talent was not developed under the staff, or that Macc sold that to ownership.

I agree that they were determined not to have another Kacey/Bates debacle but Macc must be some salesman if he convinced ownership that Bowles & Co screwed up his A+ draft picks.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Pac said:

riddle me this logic man. 

why was mccarthy begging for the job like a stuck pig a day before the Jets dashed his dream?

He was working PR, nothing more.  Trying to convince the team (Macc) to give in and hire him under his terms by playing the media.  Maybe playing the owner vs. the GM too.

Again, if you think Gase was the teams #1 choice, that bridge I offered can be yours for a low low price, Homer.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Good for the Jets for demanding the next coach bring in quality coordinators, like *checks notes* Dowell Loggains

Dowell Loggains is the doofiest looking guy on the planet, looks like even @RutgersJetFan could probably take him, and that’s sad. But the reality is Gase is the OC, not that that is any better Necessarily 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Sounds an awful lot like damage control out of McCarthys camp too.  

Wasnt McCarthy, was the staff.  McCarthy had issues with the Jets FO structure and composition.  But he wanted the job, was the only job he would consider.  After no one else wanted him of course.  

If I was McCarthy and was only thinking of coaching again the piece is exactly what I would want out there

Isn’t it a little more believable now that he’s the second coach that interviewed to say this? Rhule complained of the same thing. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NoBowles said:

I wanted McCarthy, but didn’t Macadoo make some pretty harsh comments about Darnold? Am I wrong about that?

If mccarthy wanted to bring him in, we should have reservations about that.

You are right about Macadoo, he said that he didn’t like the way Darnold throws. So if it was his choice I’m sure that he would of went with Rosen, who has beautiful mechanics, right? Wrong. He liked Josh Allen the most lmfao. Talks about how he’d have trouble drafting a guy at #3 when you don’t like the way he throws the football but he thinks the 52% passer is better? Then get this...his second favorite QB was Lamar Jackson, the other inaccurate QB who can’t read NFL defenses. He was most worried about Baker and Darnold...the two best QB’s in the class going by first year stats.

Ben McAdoo doesn’t like the way Sam Darnold throws the football

Ben McAdoo rose through the ranks to become an NFL head coach before he turned 40, largely on his ability to assess and develop quarterbacks. Most everything went awry for him and the Giants in 2017, but that should not discount McAdoo as a keen evaluator of the most important position on the field.

With time to kill and a desire to stay close to the gameafter he was fired with four games remaining last season, McAdoo took it upon himself to scout the top quarterbacks entering the 2018 draft. He rated Josh Allen of Wyoming as the best of the bunch — new Giants coach Pat Shurmur also had Allen No. 1 — but, overall, McAdoo was not enamored of this class of quarterbacks.

“There was no Andrew Luck coming out, no guy head and shoulders above everybody else,’’ McAdoo told The Post.

That is not the most encouraging news for the Jets. McAdoo wonders if Sam Darnold, taken No. 3, will ever be the franchise-saver the Jets need him to be. McAdoo could not get past flaws in Darnold’s throwing mechanics and his ball security.

“I think the kid the Jets drafted has a lot of magic in his game,’’ McAdoo said. “I think he’s special. He’s obviously a talented guy, he can make plays with his feet. I’d just have a hard time drafting a guy in the first round where you don’t necessarily like the way he throws.

“He can overcome it, guys have, but that’s something that’s a challenge for me. I’m gonna be looking at that, trying to fix it, because it’s a fundamental flaw, and I believe in the fundamentals. The quarterback, his No. 1 job is to pass the football. If I don’t like the way he throws the ball, I have a hard time picking him, right?’’

McAdoo had Allen — taken by the Bills at No. 7 — at his top quarterback based on his “high ceiling.’’ His second-rated player was Lamar Jackson of Louisville, who went No. 32 to the Ravens. He put Darnold slightly ahead of Josh Rosen — who went No. 10 to the Cardinals — based on Rosen’s durability concerns.

If he stays out on the field he’s probably going to be a helluva player and he’s probably going to be the most ready to play,’’ McAdoo said of Rosen. “I don’t worry about the other stuff they say, the leadership stuff, that’s all B.S. Aaron Rodgers was not all that. I don’t want a nice guy. Between the lines on Sunday, you give me a prick, I’ll take him.’’

McAdoo worked with Browns general manager John Dorsey when the two were together in Green Bay and said “I have a lot of respect for how he looks at players.’’ Still, McAdoo sounded a bit mystified Dorsey made Baker Mayfield the No. 1 pick in the entire draft. McAdoo had Mayfield as his sixth-rated quarterback (Mason Rudolph of Oklahoma State was his No. 5).

“He’s got an edge to him, I like that. He’s gonna lead, they’re gonna follow him,’’ McAdoo said of Mayfield. “I didn’t see a lot of pro-style football in his college tape. And if you’re short you have to be able to make up for it some way, somehow, and personality doesn’t do that.” I didn’t think he was a great athlete. This guy is kinda like a pocket quarterback that is short and with small hands, that’s what I worry about.’’

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

It sounds like the Jets have come under the impression that they gave Bowles too much free reign, and totally allowed him to pick and maintain his own staff without checks and balances. And, they do not want to repeat that presumed mistake, particularly with Darnold as a commodity.

You can also surmise that they feel talent was not developed under the staff, or that Macc sold that to ownership.

This more than anything.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

So basically, the Jets simply went with the guy most willing to be their whipping boy.  That's really just fantastic.

surprised?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eh, this reads like La canfora is a mouthpiece for McCarthy. 

Everything else we have heard strongly suggests that the Jets just weren't particularly interested in McCarthy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like that the Jets were as interested in the staff as the HC. They don't  want another staff like Bowles had where everyone seemed much worse than the HC, they want multiple HC's on the team. 

Screw all of you that think the Jets were looking for someone they could bend to their will. Bowles was here for an extended time because of his staff being so inexperienced. No more BS like that. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know which direction this is coming from or whatever the deal is but, one thing is for sure:

The Jets (Maccagnan) weren't going to have someone come in and push them around and tell them what to do--that's what McCarthy was going to do.  

It just wasn't the right fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Everything that’s come out of the national media has been funneled through CAA.

No one with a straight face can sell Adam Gase being a good coach or a good hire. He just flamed out in Miami. Good lord. 

Actually no one with a straight face can back the shlt youre selling.  

Now its CAA, LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The statement  "McCarthy complied with the request but began to have reservations about the process at this point, sources said, and was unsure if this would in fact be a match." is a pure lie by Laconfora.

You have to remember Laconfora reported on CBS pregame show on live tv a fiction that McCarthy was going to opt out of any jobs and wasn't interested in the Jets. This was a false report. He is trying to do spin control for himself and McCarthy to make it look like it was McCarthy who had reservations and not the other way around.

It is standard procedure to ask who the coordinators would be so there is absolutely no reason this would give him reservation. It is actually quite funny if you think about it. He is doing the same thing Rhule did to make it seem like he wasn't the one rejected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, now how do you excuse off the same things being said out of the national media?

the national media is saying the Jets Football operation is weird. It is weird. Rhule said it. McCarthy’s people are now saying it. We all see it. Gase is willing to roll with it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Amazing.

Once again, Macc is the problem and Macc winds up with his second (or third tbqh) choice and tries to make it look like it was the plan all along.

McCarthy balked because Macc is a bad GM, a bad GM who wanted to control who McCarthy, a 13 year NFL Head Coach and Super Bowl winner, wanted on his staff.  What an amazingly poorly handled minor league move by Macc, trying to micromanage the staff like that for a guy with 100x times the resume Macc has.  And a sure indication that Macc would give McCarthy problems with the roster and talent too.

Macc then blows the deal with Rhule, same issue.  At least in this case a bit more justified, although if you're hard after a college coach with no real pro resume, because you know, youth and college offenses or something, why balk at college assistant coaches too?

So, we wind up with Gase, the contestant behind door #3.  Is what it is, and we'll all have to root for him (and getting Gregg Williams is a nice consolation prize if it happens), but once again (like with Cousins) it looks like Macc is a complete failure at closing the deal and getting the best, first choices for our Jets.  Maybe it'll work out, but damn, does Macc mange via failure or what?

 

So, it was wrong to check and see if McCarthy planned to bring along a guy that went on record as saying Darnold wasn’t a first round pick because his throwing motion needed to be rebuilt?

 

That sounds like a good way to ruin a 21 year old potential franchise QB.

  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Isn’t it a little more believable now that he’s the second coach that interviewed to say this? Rhule complained of the same thing. 

No one else has said they had a problem.  Seems to me that everyone wanted the job. The FO and its structure snuck up on no one. 

Rhule wanted a OC he was buddies with, the Jets wanted someone more accomplished to deal with Darnold.  You dont just hire a HC, you hire him and his staff.  If the combo of Ruhl and his inexperience OC loses out, it loses out.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Eh, this reads like La canfora is a mouthpiece for McCarthy. 

Everything else we have heard strongly suggests that the Jets just weren't particularly interested in McCarthy. 

I think McCarthy thought he was more than a cut above the other coaching candidates being interviewed for all these openings, and thought he could position himself as the best by saying he would only take the jets job.  He was probably very surprised when mccagnan and Johnson were asking him about who his staff would be - McCarthy probably thought he had earned the right not to be asked these questions. Loyalties to crappy assistants helped derail bowles and the jets are rightfully concerned that the next coach doesn’t make the same mistakes.  The head coach is merely an employee and the owner and gm have every right to know who the hc wants as assistants.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Vader said:

the national media is saying the Jets Football operation is weird. It is weird. Rhule said it. McCarthy’s people are now saying it. We all see it. Gase is willing to roll with it. 

It’s actually somewhat common in sports. Owners who didn’t earn their netwoth tend to operate in a paranoid and insecure manner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Organization full of scrubs! Their first two options told em’ “GET LOST” when they tried to hand them this bogus deal of putting a staff together for them, so they settled with Gase

This also coincides with the tweet that the Jets wanted Gregg Williams on board from the very beginning. 

How can the fans who didn’t like the hire huddle around this guy if the team looked at him like a last resort? This is maddening.

I think you're being a little hard on the Jets here. Nobody knows the intracasies of each individual interview. If you were pro McCarthy, or Ruhle, your "GET LOST" version works for you. If you're anti one or both, you believe the "league has passed him by, the Jets believed he was to stubborn to move on from his ways, didn't want Philbin or MacAdoo" or "do we really want to entrust all this power to a college coach? He doesn't have any NFL coaching contacts, and he wants to bring in a staff of all college guys?" I don't buy the notion that Gase was their 3rd choice. I believe he was the only one who actually got an offer, and it wasn't until the Jets did their due diligence on each of these candidates. Honestly, each had their good and bad points, but I think in the end, the Jets felt Gase was the guy who checked the most boxes. He's young, has NFL HC experience, has worked extensively on the offensive side, is known as a QB guru, and has the connections to fill out a NFL calibre coaching staff.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

He was working PR, nothing more.  Trying to convince the team (Macc) to give in and hire him under his terms by playing the media.  Maybe playing the owner vs. the GM too.

Again, if you think Gase was the teams #1 choice, that bridge I offered can be yours for a low low price, Homer.

Harbaugh was their first choice, gasbag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Troll said:

So, it was wrong to check and see if McCarthy planned to bring along a guy that went on record as saying Darnold wasn’t a first round pick because his throwing motion needed to be rebuilt?

That sounds like a good way to ruin a 21 year old potential franchise QB.

First, learn to quote, it's not that hard.

Second, I'm not a QB throw coach, I'll defer to the pros on that.  If you have faith in the elite guy that is Dowell Loggains to manage Darnold's throwing motion (because Macc accepts him), so be it.  I thought we wanted a guy to develop Darnold, development doesn't mean "leave him 100% alone" does it?

Third, my point here is now how it'll work out, sometimes being bad at your job works out great (Like Macc lucking into Darnold instead of signing Cousins).  The point is that Gase was clearly and unquestionably NOT the NY Jets first choice, or even their second choice.  He's the consolation price, and is so specifically because he will let Macc oversee who his assistant coaches are.  

The Homer contingent (none of who three days ago wanted Gase, it should be pointed out) can white-knight this all they like, but we got another third choice.  Lets hope like Cousins and Darnold, it works out that Macc being bad at his job is the best thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pac said:

Harbaugh was their first choice, gasbag.

Ah, thank you, so Gase is their fourth choice then behind Harbaugh, McCarthy, Rhule.

Also, save the insults Homer.  Where were your posts louding calling for Gase's hiring BEFORE he was hired?  Exactly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

So basically, the Jets simply went with the guy most willing to be their whipping boy.  That's really just fantastic.

Look I am OK with Gase but this PRECISELY why I have a BIG BIG BIG problem with the Jets FO.

They CONSISTENTLY act as if they are smarter than everyone else in the NFL and make decisions so that they are in the "circle of influence" while judiciously avoiding anyone coming into the Jet  mix who is far more qualified than the collection of mediocre folks with whom they have constantly surrounded themselves.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys don't get so easily fooled by the Rhule and McCarthy camps. They were finalists that is it. When it came down to decision time the Jets asked ALL of the candidates their list of coordinators. This is standard procedure for any interview by any team. The Jets chose Gase and never offered these other two the Job. It was not due to staffing issues as Rhule and McCarthy are trying to spin it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I like that the Jets were as interested in the staff as the HC. They don't  want another staff like Bowles had where everyone seemed much worse than the HC, they want multiple HC's on the team. 

Screw all of you that think the Jets were looking for someone they could bend to their will. Bowles was here for an extended time because of his staff being so inexperienced. No more BS like that. 

If you don't trust a guy to build a staff, you shouldn't even be interviewing him to be your head coach in the first place.  Chris Johnson and Mike Maccagnan are in no way any more qualified to make such decisions.

Yet apparently this is how they felt about all of their final candidates, which is hardly reassuring.

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Websites, SEO & Social Media

Mile Social
×