Jets’ pursuit of former Packers coach Mike McCarthy collapsed over staffing issues

Patriot Killa

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

First, learn to quote, it's not that hard.

Second, I'm not a QB throw coach, I'll defer to the pros on that.  If you have faith in the elite guy that is Dowell Loggains to manage Darnold's throwing motion, so be it.  

Third, my point here is now how it'll work out, sometimes being bad at your job works out great (Like Macc lucking into Darnold instead of signing Cousins).  The point is that Gase was clearly and unquestionably NOT the NY Jets first choice, or even their second choice.  He's the consolation price, and is so specifically because he will let Macc oversee who his assistant coaches are.  

The Homer contingent (none of who three days ago wanted Gase, it should be pointed out) can white-knight this all they like, but we got another third choice.  Lets hope like Cousins and Darnold, it works out that Macc being bad at his job is the best thing.

Most people who are married are not married to their first choice.  This is life, you make the best decisions you can and work for the best.  

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Ah, thank you, so Gase is their fourth choice then behind Harbaugh, McCarthy, Rhule.

Also, save the insults Homer.  Where were your posts louding calling for Gase's hiring BEFORE he was hired?  Exactly.

I'm not talking about Gase, gasbag.  I'm saying the article defies logic and is PR nonsense.

2 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Look I am OK with Gase but this PRECISELY why I have a BIG BIG BIG problem with the Jets FO.

They CONSISTENTLY act as if they are smarter than everyone else in the NFL and make decisions so that they are in the "circle of influence" while judiciously avoiding anyone coming into the Jet  mix who is far more qualified than the collection of mediocre folks with whom they have constantly surrounded themselves.

This!

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

If you don't trust a guy to build a staff, you shouldn't even be interviewing him to be your head coach in the first place.  Chris Johnson and Mike Maccagnan are in no way any more qualified to make such decisions.

Yet apparently this is how they felt about all of their final candidates, which is hardly reassuring.

Completely disagree - part of the reason you interview candidates is to find out how they think, and who they want on their staff.  There are only a handful of current nfl coaches who should be given complete trust in assembling staffs without scrutiny.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Ah, thank you, so Gase is their fourth choice then behind Harbaugh, McCarthy, Rhule.

Also, save the insults Homer.  Where were your posts louding calling for Gase's hiring BEFORE he was hired?  Exactly.

Would you like a bridge I can sell you? I am telling you I own property rights to the Bridge TRUST me! Don't take people's words at such face value when there is an obvious agenda behind it. These guys were rejected and trying to spin a false narrative. Don't be so easily duped.

3 minutes ago, Pac said:

I'm not talking about Gase, gasbag.  I'm saying the article defies logic and is PR nonsense.

Listen, homer white knights aren't worth the time to respond to.  You didn't want Gase any more than the rest of us and we both know it.  You're only white-knighting now because you are a hoooooooomer.

I get it, Gase is the man now, and we'll all have to root for him.  And we all will.

What you're doing now is like trying to argue that Macc never wanted Cousins, he always wanted Darnold and knew he'd get him.  Ever a cursory look at the course of events shows that to be false.  

3 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Look I am OK with Gase but this PRECISELY why I have a BIG BIG BIG problem with the Jets FO.

They CONSISTENTLY act as if they are smarter than everyone else in the NFL and make decisions so that they are in the "circle of influence" while judiciously avoiding anyone coming into the Jet  mix who is far more qualified than the collection of mediocre folks with whom they have constantly surrounded themselves.

They want to maintain control. The Knicks kept Herb Willians on the staff forever due to paranoid ownership. The Johnsons were never going to let another Mangini situation happen again.

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think McCarthy thought he was more than a cut above the other coaching candidates being interviewed for all these openings, and thought he could position himself as the best by saying he would only take the jets job.  He was probably very surprised when mccagnan and Johnson were asking him about who his staff would be - McCarthy probably thought he had earned the right not to be asked these questions. Loyalties to crappy assistants helped derail bowles and the jets are rightfully concerned that the next coach doesn’t make the same mistakes.  The head coach is merely an employee and the owner and gm have every right to know who the hc wants as assistants.

Exactly right, Chris Johnson still signs their paychecks....not McCarthy

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The Colts wanted McDaniels and those clowns were stuck with Reich. Those clowns that run the Colts don't know what they are doing and the Colts are doomed. -Warfish 2018

9 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

If you don't trust a guy to build a staff, you shouldn't even be interviewing him to be your head coach in the first place.  Chris Johnson and Mike Maccagnan are in no way any more qualified to make such decisions.

Yet apparently this is how they felt about all of their final candidates, which is hardly reassuring.

Again, this is clearly coming from McCarthy's camp, tho. 

Also, it doesn't seem to jive with what is happening now. For instance, are we to believe that the Jets forced the little guy from Miami on Gase? Greg Williams? 

Additionally, while McCarthy's camp is currently pretending that discussions "broke down" over the coaching staff, before the Jets hired anyone, we were hearing that, among the available openings, the Jets job was the only one that McCarthy was interested. 

i.e. This content of this article is probably doodoo

Second, I'm not a QB throw coach, I'll defer to the pros on that.  If you have faith in the elite guy that is Dowell Loggains to manage Darnold's throwing motion (because Macc accepts him), so be it.  I thought we wanted a guy to develop Darnold, development doesn't mean "leave him 100% alone" does it?
Third, my point here is now how it'll work out, sometimes being bad at your job works out great (Like Macc lucking into Darnold instead of signing Cousins).  The point is that Gase was clearly and unquestionably NOT the NY Jets first choice, or even their second choice.  He's the consolation price, and is so specifically because he will let Macc oversee who his assistant coaches are.  
The Homer contingent (none of who three days ago wanted Gase, it should be pointed out) can white-knight this all they like, but we got another third choice.  Lets hope like Cousins and Darnold, it works out that Macc being bad at his job is the best thing.

1. I’m on mobile and it ****ed up. No need to be a dick about it.

2. I’m not reading the rest of your post after that, you salty snake.

1 minute ago, redlichtie said:

Exactly right, Chris Johnson still signs their paychecks....not McCarthy

Some here act as though the head coach should have all this power.  Parcells earned that right.  McCarthy hasn’t.  Even before he was fired there were a lot of criticisms about his coaching and offensive philosophies.  

8 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Guys don't get so easily fooled by the Rhule and McCarthy camps. They were finalists that is it. When it came down to decision time the Jets asked ALL of the candidates their list of coordinators.

And then settled on the guy with Dowell Loggains at the top of his list? Is this supposed to reassure us?

18 minutes ago, Vader said:

the national media is saying the Jets Football operation is weird. It is weird. Rhule said it. McCarthy’s people are now saying it. We all see it. Gase is willing to roll with it. 

The football operation is set up just like the one in GB.

Ruhl didnt say it, you did.

And none of this means anything, has anything to do with it since the Jets turned these two down, not the other was around.  

And I am not sure why some of you are easily swayed to assume the worst. You guys fill in your own SOJF facts to feed your SOJF narrative. 

Perhaps they had SOME interest in McCarthy but informed him about their personal demands about the coaching staff and the two sides went their separate ways. 

We have ZERO proof that McCarthy was the Jets #1  choice. We have no proof that Gase was the Jets #1 choice. There was a process going on. We were considering a number of candidates.

What we do have proof of is that we hired Gase and appear to be letting Gase bring in his own OC. So the notion that Mac needed to pick all of his own people seems to already have been debunked. 

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Some here act as though the head coach should have all this power.  Parcells earned that right.  McCarthy hasn’t.  Even before he was fired there were a lot of criticisms about his coaching and offensive philosophies.  

Exactly, there were some red flags. Including that he was rumoured to be stubborn and set in his ways. It sounds like the interview process may have confirmed this. Baffled as to why that’s a bad thing personally but then I don’t have an agenda

Macagnan: “So, Mike...who were you thinking about for offensive coordinator and qb coach? Who do you entrust Sam Darnold’s development to?”

McCarthy: “Joe Philbin and Ben MacAdoo. They’re right for...”

::click::

McCarthy: “Hello...Hello Mike are you there? Mr. Johnson? Hello?...”

::dial tone::

1 minute ago, redlichtie said:

Exactly, there were some red flags. Including that he was rumoured to be stubborn and set in his ways. It sounds like the interview process may have confirmed this. Baffled as to why that’s a bad thing personally but then I don’t have an agenda

I am actually impressed with how the jets conducted their search and interview process.  They brought in different types of candidates quickly.  Also, while we may not like mccagnan he is connected in the nfl as is heimdinger and i wouldn’t be surprised if they were able to reach out to their sources to research some of these guys.  I like that they didn’t genuflect at McCarthy and give him the keys without asking any questions.  

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Second, I'm not a QB throw coach, I'll defer to the pros on that.  If you have faith in the elite guy that is Dowell Loggains to manage Darnold's throwing motion (because Macc accepts him), so be it.  I thought we wanted a guy to develop Darnold, development doesn't mean "leave him 100% alone" does it?

Your 2nd and 3rd points contradict. How can you say Mac is overseeing who his assistants are, if Gase is bringing the elite Loggains. And the DC is probably going to be Williams, which I'm sure they both agreed on, with potentially Joseph if he didn't get the job in Arizona. Who they also probably agreed on.

Since potential assistants are a part of an interview, McCarthy and Rhule did not bring good names to the table. Gase's list was better. 

35 minutes ago, KRL said:

Doesn't surprise me, the concern about McCarthy was his offense had grown
stale.  And if he was looking to bring in Philbin & McAdoo that wasn't
going to change.  The Jets have every right to be concerned about who
was going to be coaching Darnold.  Fans should be happy to hear this,
look how Bates stifled the offense last year.  Would you want that with
the next coach?

KRL

I don't think that we should be happy.

I actually find it quite problematic at best based on the last 20 years!!

The Jets forced Ted Cottrell on Herm Edwards which undermined him.

Schotty was forced to be kept on by Mangini and "picked" for Rex.

Keeping Shotty HURT the Jets in IMO and unless you really understand the game, picking coaches and disparate personalities when you don't know what you are doing is foolhardy and something IMO, based upon past performance, should definitely avoid by the Jets.

Think then realizing that they were silly in their overreaching they then let good old Todd Bowles assemble a coaching staff that some High Schools would be embarrassed by....... and we wonder why HC candidates now are questioning what the heck is going on?

Indeed what is the Jets philosophy of creating a staff and why do they want to pick assistants beyond the obvious reasons? 

For example are they trying to develop quality assistants like Reid has?

So no for one I am not happy about how they go about running the Jets...

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Listen, homer white knights aren't worth the time to respond to.  You didn't want Gase any more than the rest of us and we both know it.  You're only white-knighting now because you are a hoooooooomer.

I get it, Gase is the man now, and we'll all have to root for him.  And we all will.

What you're doing now is like trying to argue that Macc never wanted Cousins, he always wanted Darnold and knew he'd get him.  Ever a cursory look at the course of events shows that to be false.  

I feel like we're finally bonding.

6 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Macagnan: “So, Mike...who were you thinking about for offensive coordinator and qb coach? Who do you entrust Sam Darnold’s development to?”

McCarthy: “Joe Philbin and Ben MacAdoo. They’re right for...”

::click::

McCarthy: “Hello...Hello Mike are you there? Mr. Johnson? Hello?...”

::dial tone::

Brilliant!

Talking to candidates and getting a sense of their chosen assistants and having some feedback for that is being way blown out of proportion. Just because they floated the idea of bringing in X/Y to pair with an unknown college coach doesn't mean that he was gonna get the job anyway.

58 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Wait - so McCarthy didn't want to report to the owner but wanted to report/be tied to a GM who might be on a short leash? 

I would think a coach would like having a direct line to the top, especially if the GMs qualifications are in question.

And yeah, maybe the Jets hierarchy didn't want to hear names like Philbin & McAdoo and didn't want them around Sam.

Especially since he operated under the same reporting system in GB.  It wasnt a problem going into the interview, wasnt a obstacle, didnt stop him from announcing to all that it was the only job he would consider.  He didnt get the job and now, BAM, he had issues with the setup and it wasnt him, it was Philbin and McAdoo?  No wonder people didnt like him

Well it was no different when Rhule wanted to do the same thing.  Well it's obvious that the FO wanted to have say on everything.  So in the end Gase was the more flexible choice to make.  I still wanted McCarthy over Gase but CJ made the decision it's his decision to make so that's that Gase is the coach.  Let's hope he's the "FREAKING LEGEND".

31 minutes ago, Vader said:

the national media is saying the Jets Football operation is weird. It is weird. Rhule said it. McCarthy’s people are now saying it. We all see it. Gase is willing to roll with it. 

This is known as "making sh*t up". What national media is saying that the Jets (and the 8 or 9 other teams that have basically the same EXACT structure) is weird? Rhule and McCarthy said it? Where? Here's a news flash for you. When Coaches do not get a job they interviewed for, they're going to try and spin a reason why they weren't hired.

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The football operation is set up just like the one in GB.

No, it isn’t. Mark Murphy is in charge of things in Green Bay. Mark Murphy is a Football Guy. He played many years in the NFL, and has been involved in management in sports in the years after. 

Let me know when you find Johnson’s Upper Deck rookie card.

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Or it’s possible that the Jets saw names like Joe Philbin and Ben McAdoo on McCarthy’s proposed staff and were turned off.

That’s totally within the realm of possibility. McCarthy has a track record of stubbornness and failure to learn from past mistakes.

Could you imagine Ben McAdoo here no way in hell, many of my Giants friends compared Todd Bowles to him. 

Good move by the NY Jets passing on Mike McCarthy. 

3 minutes ago, Vader said:

No, it isn’t. Mark Murphy is in charge of things in Green Bay. Mark Murphy is a Football Guy. He played many years in the NFL, and has been involved in management in sports in the years after. 

Let me know when you find Johnson’s Upper Deck rookie card.

And the HC and GM report to him separately.  GB has no owner, Murphy is in charge no differently that CJ as thte CEO is in charge, because they are publicly held.  Makes no difference, theyre both equals in that they both report, thats the only difference between the jets and most others

So, unless the stock holders have a Upper Deck Card its like every other owner

Archived