A Couple of New Coaches (DL and LB)

Gen X Jet

1 minute ago, bostonmajet said:

So, let me get this straight, we are worried that based on a twitter post from someone we don't know, we are worried that the Jets are hiring two coaches before letting the DC we THINK is going to be sining soon? Got it.

All the twitter post said was that they are expected to follow Gase. Don’t think that means anything but the twitter account isn’t a 17 year old kid. It’s legit.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Can't wait for Williams to be called a bum when he backs out of the DC position because his position coaches have been picked for him.  ?

Wait, I'm confused.  I thought HEAD COACHES were supposed to be allowed to pick their own assistants.

NOW, it's Defensive Coordinators who should be able to pick the coaches?

10 minutes ago, Maxman said:

No. THis is the Jets every hire is made by someone that person doesn't report to. :)

Seem to remember a Signfeld episode when George Castanza just showed up for work and told everyone he was a new hire and took over an office. That’s how it works in Jet land?

11 minutes ago, SMC said:

Wait, I'm confused.  I thought HEAD COACHES were supposed to be allowed to pick their own assistants.

NOW, it's Defensive Coordinators who should be able to pick the coaches?

It's a chain of command type system, or at least it should be. We already know Gase is going too focus on the offense, so we should let our new DC have some control for the hires that are going to be working on their side of the ball. 

If it's Williams, don't you think he's going to want his input on who gets hired to lead his defense, especially with his type of tenure? 

The head coach is ultimately responsible for every aspect of the team. I would expect them to pick ALL of the coaches for the entire staff and then it is the coordinator’s job to supervise and manage them in their system. Coordinators should not have the ability to hire, they are more front line supervisors then middle managers.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Nothing against either hire per se, but as others have pointed out, it's certainly peculiar to be hiring defensive position coaches before you even have a DC.

I also don't really love the idea of how much of this coaching staff is coming together as a copy of a group of guys who have all already failed together.

My concern as well.  

45 minutes ago, BloodGreen said:

The head coach is ultimately responsible for every aspect of the team. I would expect them to pick ALL of the coaches for the entire staff and then it is the coordinator’s job to supervise and manage them in their system. Coordinators should not have the ability to hire, they are more front line supervisors then middle managers.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

This in theory is true but if you are after a premium vet D coordinator and he is on the market you would think the head guy would be looking to at least get an okay from the D coordinator.

Now if this is as some are speculating that Williams is already hired and has okayed these new possible hires then fine great.  If not he may look at these guys from Miami and say, nope don't like these guys.

Also it's funny that now that gase is hired some on here (not you in particular) are fine with him hiring whoever he wants and yet that was a big minus for Rhule and Mccarthy,

Thing is a prospective HC will be asked to sell a vision too a prospective employer part of that will include possible Coordinators these are people he feels will help make the team successful. To think a prospective Coordinator would not want some input as to coaches he would need to make his side of the ball successful  is just incorrect. I am talking input not final say.

41 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

He just tweeted he wanted to sign Dee Ford for whatever money he wants Lol.

Just a matter of time he say's who his first pick is.

lol

I just saw that. He really needs to be spoken to about tampering man. 

I agree with the general concept of the head coach having final say on the hires, but as others mentioned, you should certainly be getting at least some input from the appropriate coordinator, given that's the person they'll actually be working with most (on the coaching side that is).

Not to mention, if you haven't picked a coordinator yet, you don't even know what scheme you're going to be running, which makes it very peculiar to hiring position coaches before then, given the very direct impact one can have on another.  Of course if they already know who the DC is going to be, and it's just not yet official, that's obviously a different story then.

Jesus Christ. The coordinators DO NOT hire position coaches. The HC is in charge of hiring ALL of the coaches on the team. Gase obviously thinks highly of those two guys from working with them and that's why he's bringing them in. Williams or any other DC works with whoever the HC hires. John Morton did not hire Jeremy Bates as the QB Coach, Todd Bowles did. It's the same thing as Gase bringing in these guys. 

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

Jesus Christ. The coordinators DO NOT hire position coaches. The HC is in charge of hiring ALL of the coaches on the team. Gase obviously thinks highly of those two guys from working with them and that's why he's bringing them in. Williams or any other DC works with whoever the HC hires. John Morton did not hire Jeremy Bates as the QB Coach, Todd Bowles did. It's the same thing as Gase bringing in these guys. 

So again, as i said in another thread, how does this explain the fact that rhule and mccarthy were supposed to be higher on the list but were not hired because mac and ceo wanted to vette their coaching staff.

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

So again, as i said in another thread, how does this explain the fact that rhule and mccarthy were supposed to be higher on the list but were not hired because mac and ceo wanted to vette their coaching staff.

Based on what insiders say, coaches generally present a list of coordinators they would consider for the position. 

The Jets FO likely did not like Rhule’s or McCarthy’s list. If Rhule comes with a random list and Gase comes with Vance Joseph and Gregg Williams, who would you prefer?  They factored in the entire coaching staff in their decision.

It’s also speculation that Rhule and McCarthy were ahead of Gase. Their agents could be putting that out there to save face.

15 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Wouldn’t somebody like Gregg Williams want his own DL and LB coaches?

this could be interpretted as Greg Williams deal is done and just waiting till after the weekend's games to announce.  Maybe.  

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

this could be interpretted as Greg Williams deal is done and just waiting till after the weekend's games to announce.  Maybe.  

Yes maybe. Williams could have already been consulted about the position coaches. Remember, there has been no official announcement about anyone except Gase. The position coach info was tweeted as a possibility from a Miami source.

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Besides Todd Bowles and only because of Bruce Arians have any NY Jets coaches been hired by other teams. 

Stump MItchell has an offer, I think and Karl Dorrell is on some team's interview list for OC

Hopefully a few of the better assistants from last year will get the chance to interview with the new regime - Boyer at STC and maybe a couple of others

On 1/13/2019 at 9:42 AM, joewilly12 said:

Besides Todd Bowles and only because of Bruce Arians have any NY Jets coaches been hired by other teams. 

Correction, he was interviewed by the Giants but it’s reported he’s surgically joined at the hip with Todd Bowles and will be going to the Bucs as DLine Coach.

Archived