Gase endorsement from Mike Martz

Mo Lew

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

another story/article calling Gase a "QB Whisperer" and a great offensive mind - without anything at all to support it...literally, nothing..

Just that it was said before.

If you say it enough times people will believe it.  It already seems to have gotten a lot of Jet fans.

you obiouslly haven't clicked your heels three times. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m cautiously optimistic and excited for Gase. 

Admittedly, he could be a total disaster. Hit some losing streaks, runs some players the wrong way, the sports writers get under his skin etc etc. it could go bad but there are some reasons to be excited.

first of all he’ll go for the jugular instead of the the Bowes weakness and incompetence that was dressed up as faux class, never wanting to hurt the other teams feelings.  The jets are going to pile it on when they can, play nasty or be gone.

second- gase is so plugged in and apparently very smart that given some talent he could actually outsmart a coach- maybe attack their weak spots which we never did under bowles

third-he feels like a good fit for Darnold. Working with mike martz and Peyton Manning and being ocd football is awesome- he’s had to have learned a lot from those guys on how to study, game plan and flat out win

so again it could be a disaster but it could also turn out really really good

first thing is getting some talent in the building. Huge off season for Mac. Second is hardening up the guys that are already here like Leo and Tru.

9 hours ago, Untouchable said:

He’s not Mike McCarthy...

Who so many have built into Vince Lombardi 2.0 for whatever reason.

He was my #1 choice, but people acting like the guy was some kind of slam dunk hire are nuttier than squirrel turds.

MY take is:  I dont think the candidate pool was exceptional at all.  But I will take the smartest one.  I actually think McCarthy is coasting after all these years.  I wanted him at first, but when I paid more attention to him I saw he had guys like Philbin on his staff I cringed-- for Sam's sake. Very ordinary coaching staff that he wanted to bring here.  Do we think our D would have become better under a guy like MM?  Our FO wanted nothing to do with the guys he with them.  I kept seeing the Jets with this vanilla playbook and then wondering how Sam could develop into something special.  Bieniemy came from an imaginative program, but I did not like all that negative stuff that came out about him and thought he would get killed by the press here.  I had no interest in KK because I thought he was a self promoter.  Ruhle?  I did not know who he was and I still don't. Wants to pick his own staff---come on.   But it is really all about Sam. Tannehill was a stiff.  All QBs cannot be remade.  As for Gase, I do not sniff at his work with Manning.  When Manning got to Denver, he was older, he had a corkscrew neck, and he could not get the ball downfield with his old authority.  He still threw 55 TD passes.  Something he did not do  before, for all his intellectual brilliance.  Anyone who thinks the system designed for him was not influenced by Gase--and was not responsible for his amazing season, is just being silly.  So, I decided after much reflection that Gase was the best of the bunch.  You can argue that there were better candidates somewhere, but nobody seemed to be interviewing them.  Freddie Kitchens?  Really?  He was hired because Baker liked him and because Dorsey wants yes men in his group.  i wont kill Matt LaFleur because Mariotta is awful.  We were not hiring Fangio or Zac Taylor.  So there.

21 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Is this the same Mike Martz who is coach of the San Diego Fleet of the Alliance of American Football league?!

I'm fookin sold.

I was sold but then I remembered that he was able to coach 6 games against Bowles, after backing out all those wins, 5, his record looks a lot uglier.

No, seriously, no joking, you can’t count “wins vs Bowles” and come up with an accurate, honest, assessment of Gase’s coaching acumen.

The best thing though is that this is now ALL “Maccagnan’s baby”....1 dunce down.,,1 to go.

And good luck bringing in ANY quality FAs with your Dr Evil (wish he was GM) “100 million dollars” money....players hate this guy Gase.

A lot will depend on Maccagnan’s drsfting “Oh God” ability.

If I’m willing to declare you the winner if it turns out that Gase does, indeed, suck, will you stop? 

I’ll stop when everyone on this board concedes it was a terrible hire with many, many red flags and no basis in football reality. I’ll stop and simply begin the cheer when everyone admits the following.

There is zero evidence of offensive prowess - in fact, an awful lot of evidence to the contrary.

There is zero evidence of QB development - calling plays for a 35 year old Peyton Manning - who audibles everything doesn’t count.

There is of course many more problems problems like him ream quitting on him, him fighting with his owners. He’s unstable.

We’ve hired an unstable, 40 year old, HC failure -from our own division. With the single most important HC hire this team has ever made.

Yay!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

8 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Mike Martz is an offensive genius, and reading him talk so highly of Adam Gase has me really fired up. I remember back during GSOT he used this nasa term Max-Q for when the Rams offense was close to perfection. When the offense reached the highest level of competence and execution. Martz was a killer and would find your weakness and just keep on stabbing your defense into you found a way to stop him. He'd even onside kick the ball on you when up big if you did something he didn't like. When I saw how Adam Gase called for an onside kick vs the Broncos in week 13 of the 2017 season up 33-9 I am not surprised. Adam Gase learned from the best. lol. Remember Martz in week 6 of the 2001 season did the same things to our Jets, which was the game right after the  Miracle in the Meadowlands? The Rams up 31-7 caught the Jets off guard calling for an onside kick. Martz used the excuse that the Rams remembered the Jets miracle in the meadowlands, but I think the truth was he was pissed off over the field conditions believing the Jets soaked the field the night before their game in hopes of slowing the Rams Greatest Show On Turf.

Go to 12:29 of highlights to see the onside kick with Rams up 31-7.

Now see Mike Martz's protégé Adam Gase onside kicking it up 33-9. 

After just winning Super Bowl XXXIV Isaac "Ike" Bruce told a reporter he told everyone before the season started, that Mike Martz was the type of coach who will go for your throat from the first to the fourth quarter. That's that killer instinct I'm talking about. I know Adam Gase is like this, and I'm looking forward to having him coach our Jets. 

Link to Ike talking about Martz after Super Bowl.

http://static.espn.go.com/media/nfl/2000/0130/audio/0130ib1a.wav

Niiiiice finds. Love it. Love the attitude.

12 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Can't understand the hysteria, I really can't

I cannot speak for others, but I'm generally cool with the Gase hire. My disgust is more about Mac still being here, and the blatant agenda and doofus criteria that led to Gase being hired. Gase may be a better HC than McCarthy or Rhule, but he wasn't their first choice and the aforementioned sketchiness is why they didn't get their first choice.

All that being said, Kirk Cousins was also the first choice... and it wasn't until they made a panic move to save face that they lucked into Darnold. So, perhaps, they'll luck out in a similar capacity here. 

11 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Nothing else matters if you ask me. Sounds like everything is gravy now. No reason to panic.

Mike f##king Martz, people.

So what Martz is Kotite now? Mike Martz is a brilliant offensive mind who helped transform Kurt Warner from grocery store bagger to HOF QB and ran some of the most prolific offenses in league history.

If you aren't familiar with Martz look him up.

40 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I cannot speak for others, but I'm generally cool with the Gase hire. My disgust is more about Mac still being here, and the blatant agenda and doofus criteria that led to Gase being hired. Gase may be a better HC than McCarthy or Rhule, but he wasn't their first choice and the aforementioned sketchiness is why they didn't get their first choice.

All that being said, Kirk Cousins was also the first choice... and it wasn't until they made a panic move to save face that they lucked into Darnold. So, perhaps, they'll luck out in a similar capacity here. 

Being a jets fan, I often find myself relying more on blind luck than actual, quantifiable competence. 

35 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

So what Martz is Kotite now? Mike Martz is a brilliant offensive mind who helped transform Kurt Warner from grocery store bagger to HOF QB and ran some of the most prolific offenses in league history.

If you aren't familiar with Martz look him up.

Hey shut up and let me talk crap 

thx in advance 

13 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Players didn’t like him

The media said he’s thin skinned and can’t deal with failure or criticism

He has a losing record

His offenses were ranked low as ****

His teams didn’t play worth a sh*t

He was fired from a rival team because he sucked and had an attitude problem

Just now, peekskill68 said:

Sort of like what you're doing by saying the hiring sucked, right?

Well, he did, in fact, suck.  

I'm putting up facts y'all are just using Jets talking points.  

When his record as a HC is 23-25 and he's being pitched as some type of offensive genius who presided over the 24th, 25th and 31st ranked offenses...

I repeat myself because the facts are seemingly being ignored. 

Let's all say .- yes, he sucked as a HC, didn't develop any QB's and was a failure within our own division - but we're stuck with him, so gooooo Gase...

Okay, I'll join that crowd...but everyone has to be come a realist about what to actually expect.

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Well, he did, in fact, suck.  

I'm putting up facts y'all are just using Jets talking points.  

When his record as a HC is 23-25 and he's being pitched as some type of offensive genius who presided over the 24th, 25th and 31st ranked offenses...

I repeat myself because the facts are seemingly being ignored. 

Let's all say .- yes, he sucked as a HC, didn't develop any QB's and was a failure within our own division - but we're stuck with him, so gooooo Gase...

Okay, I'll join that crowd...but everyone has to be come a realist about what to actually expect.

You may be 100% correct. However, the people who like the hire probably cannot be persuaded otherwise until they see evidence on their own team that he sucks.  It's a done deal, he's the Coach. Repetitive pounding on his failings in Miami just sets up alot of "agree to disagree" exchanges in the meantime.

13 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Can't understand the hysteria, I really can't

Let me explain. 

All of the accolades are based on him as a coordinator, not a head coach. 

We seen his work as a HC of Miami and werent incredibly impressed. 

However, having 4 starting QB's in 4 seasons allows him an out. Of course we'll found out soon enough. My problem wasnt the W/L column, but his relationship with players. He seemed not to have the respect of his players as an HC. 

All of these accolades folks keep posting, generally isnt coming out of Miami. That's the problem. 

Him bringing some of that bad coaching staff with him is another problem. But, that's how some folks feel. Hopefully we're wrong. 

34 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Hey shut up and let me talk crap 

thx in advance 

?

Here's an old article talking about Martz. A lot of it probably seems just normal now, but it was game changing at the time.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/05/23/rams-greatest-show-on-turf-mike-martz-dick-vermeil

I always had the most respect for the coaches who are forward thinking and smart enough to change the way the game is played. A lot of coaches can teach the things that are already being done. It's only the best and the brightest who change the status quo and create something new. With how quick the league learns and adapts you almost need that edge to win championships.

You may be 100% correct. However, the people who like the hire probably cannot be persuaded otherwise until they see evidence on their own team that he sucks.  It's a done deal, he's the Coach. Repetitive pounding on his failings in Miami just sets up alot of "agree to disagree" exchanges in the meantime.

You can want someone to succeed and even think he will but the FACT is. It was a bad hire. An Ill-conceived choice.

You might win betting on a million-to-one long shot - but it doesn’t change the fact that it was a bad bet.

I get hope and truly wish I’m wrong. But right now I’m simply still angry so I’m being a douche (I know I am right now, can’t help it)

I’ll get over it soon. Maybe when/if Williams is hired.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

9 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Mike Martz is an offensive genius, and reading him talk so highly of Adam Gase has me really fired up. I remember back during GSOT he used this nasa term Max-Q for when the Rams offense was close to perfection. When the offense reached the highest level of competence and execution. Martz was a killer and would find your weakness and just keep on stabbing your defense into you found a way to stop him. He'd even onside kick the ball on you when up big if you did something he didn't like. When I saw how Adam Gase called for an onside kick vs the Broncos in week 13 of the 2017 season up 33-9 I am not surprised. Adam Gase learned from the best. lol. Remember Martz in week 6 of the 2001 season did the same things to our Jets, which was the game right after the  Miracle in the Meadowlands? The Rams up 31-7 caught the Jets off guard calling for an onside kick. Martz used the excuse that the Rams remembered the Jets miracle in the meadowlands, but I think the truth was he was pissed off over the field conditions believing the Jets soaked the field the night before their game in hopes of slowing the Rams Greatest Show On Turf.

Go to 12:29 of highlights to see the onside kick with Rams up 31-7.

Now see Mike Martz's protégé Adam Gase onside kicking it up 33-9. 

After just winning Super Bowl XXXIV Isaac "Ike" Bruce told a reporter he told everyone before the season started, that Mike Martz was the type of coach who will go for your throat from the first to the fourth quarter. That's that killer instinct I'm talking about. I know Adam Gase is like this, and I'm looking forward to having him coach our Jets. 

Link to Ike talking about Martz after Super Bowl.

http://static.espn.go.com/media/nfl/2000/0130/audio/0130ib1a.wav

Interesting watching 2nd year QB Pennington come in during garbage time.  He really had a bad arm, he threw it like a shot put and dinked and dunked down the field, and this was pre shoulder injury.  I don't miss those days.

2 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

I was sold but then I remembered that he was able to coach 6 games against Bowles, after backing out all those wins, 5, his record looks a lot uglier.

No, seriously, no joking, you can’t count “wins vs Bowles” and come up with an accurate, honest, assessment of Gase’s coaching acumen.

The best thing though is that this is now ALL “Maccagnan’s baby”....1 dunce down.,,1 to go.

And good luck bringing in ANY quality FAs with your Dr Evil (wish he was GM) “100 million dollars” money....players hate this guy Gase.

A lot will depend on Maccagnan’s drsfting “Oh God” ability.

And here we go again with this total BS nonsense.  

Just now, 56mehl56 said:

And here we go again with this total BS nonsense.  

It really is a steaming pile of manure.  Gase dumped Landry because he was an a-hole on and off the field.  Many players in Miami adored him.  See Wilson.  The biggest problem was Landry, who everyone in the NFL knows is a flaming jerk and if you watched Hard Knocks you'd know that too.  Gase may be on the know-it-all, some would say arrogant side, but if he can provide a dynamic offense and help mold Darnold into a top 3 QB... let's go.

Archived