Cowboys may promote Richard... Is Maranelli a play?

32EBoozer

Ian Rapoport: Cowboys plan to extend Jason Garrett, may promote Kris Richard to DC

NFL HighlightsJanuary 12, 2019, 5:53 PM GMT

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reports that the Dallas Cowboys are planning on extending head coach Jason Garrett's contract and may promote defensive backs coach and passing game coordinator Kris Richard to DC.

If Williams falls through, any interest in Maranelli if available? No one out there excites me if Williams is off the table. Cowboys “D” laid an egg last night 

He’s a great dc but he’s not a fit for us.  Having a corner that got paid 72 million and asking jamaal Adams to drop deep on every play in the cover 2 would waste money and talent here.  Plus Brady would pick that zone defense apart like it was nothing.

2 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

think he's an option, Pagano and Joseph appear to have jobs so there are not many left; Mangini,  Jack Del Rio? 

Greg Schiano is out at OSU - D was not good last year but he has experience and current knowledge of players in the draft

Mangini would really get the board going!  This place would be even more fun than usual.

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And why is Williams not our D.C.? 

No one is certain of anything until news breaks. Many on the board getting nervous Williams will not get signed. Richard was interviewed for HC but maybe being DC is an option. If he’s promoted to Cowboys DC

that might make Marinelle an option 

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

No one is certain of anything until news breaks. Many on the board getting nervous Williams will not get signed. Richard was interviewed for HC but maybe being DC is an option. If he’s promoted to Cowboys DC

that might make Marinelle an option 

I'm certain.  If he wasn't there would be news that he wasn't.  There would be news that Gase and the Jets were looking at another guy.  The lack of news, to me, means it's done and they're just waiting until tomorrow's pressser to announce it 

48 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I'm certain.  If he wasn't there would be news that he wasn't.  There would be news that Gase and the Jets were looking at another guy.  The lack of news, to me, means it's done and they're just waiting until tomorrow's pressser to announce it 

Hoping you are right. Any coaching staff who ends the 50 yr. curse, will never have to buy a meal in NYC again!! Don't screw this up J E T S!

53 minutes ago, Dcat said:

if the williams deal falls thru, I would hope the jets consider Richard for DC.  But I think Williams is the guy and we'll be hearing about it Monday well before the Gase presser.  

I believe Jerry can block that. The league considers position coach and coordinator to be a lateral move, for some odd reason. I think he has already blocked interviews iirc 

I'd really like Del Rio. He's  another guy you could let fly with the D.

3 minutes ago, freestater said:

I believe Jerry can block that. The league considers position coach and coordinator to be a lateral move, for some odd reason. I think he has already blocked interviews iirc 

I'd really like Del Rio. He's  another guy you could let fly with the D.

Geez, really... I didn't know that.  Why?  I don't understand the logic behind that, in fact it is counter-intuitive and therefore stupid in my judgment, unless I'm overlooking something.  So a DB coach becoming a DC is "lateral"?  But doesn't a DB coach report to a DC?   hmm

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Geez, really... I didn't know that.  Why?  I don't understand the logic behind that, in fact it is counter-intuitive and therefore stupid in my judgment, unless I'm overlooking something.  

I completely agree. I can only imagine that it's a policy the owners like because it keeps asst. under thumb for as long as possible. 

Archived