Color me unimpressed with Gregg Williams

Phillyjet

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

And here's one that might be controversial on this board... more of a locker room dynamic question.  With the simmering anger over the firing of black coaches, including Wilks, the Jets go from Bowles, Rodgers, Bates, and a diverse set of coaches, to three white coaches/coordinators.  Then add Maccagnan and Heimerdinger.  How will that play in the locker room?  Would rather take a chance on promoting a Frank Bush to coordinator, and having a great staff underneath him that setting that up.  Can see that being a problem for Gase on the heals of Bowles, who was admired in that locker room.

IN a modern day locker room, with all the politics around the country and in the NFL, Gase has to think about that, lest he lose the locker room when things are going bad.  A Leslie Frazier type hire with an assistant head coach title would seem to be in his better interest here.

I completely disagree with you.  I believe the Jets have proven that they could care less what color your skin is, as long as you can win.  If you can win, you can stay.  If you can't win, then you're gone.  

the whole 4-3 vs 3-4 thing is SOOO overblown. Williams said he had 42 base fronts. He may not choose 4-3 as the core alignment with the Jets. And even if he did, we probably line up in it 25% or less of the plays, especially since he is likely to build the defense around Jamal as the "QB" of the defense so our base may be a 3-3 strong nickel.

33 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

the whole 4-3 vs 3-4 thing is SOOO overblown. Williams said he had 42 base fronts. He may not choose 4-3 as the core alignment with the Jets. And even if he did, we probably line up in it 25% or less of the plays, especially since he is likely to build the defense around Jamal as the "QB" of the defense so our base may be a 3-3 strong nickel.

Most 3-4 defenses in the nfl are hybrid anyway

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

We finally get rid of tweedle Dee and tweedle dumb Bowles and Rodgers for two disciplinarian coaches and people still b-tch 

Blah, blah.  Been there, done that.  Too easy a PR message.  For long term Jet fans, that’s a con.  It’s about scheme and smartness and innovation. Can these guys out coach Bellichick?  That’s all that matters.  I think Gase has potential.  Not sure about Williams.  Would rather have someone from the Ravens tree.

16 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

Blah, blah.  Been there, done that.  Too easy a PR message.  For long term Jet fans, that’s a con.  It’s about scheme and smartness and innovation. Can these guys out coach Bellichick?  That’s all that matters.  I think Gase has potential.  Not sure about Williams.  Would rather have someone from the Ravens tree.

Gase beat Belichick in a game last year something the jets haven’t done since 2015

46 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

The "Ravens Tree" consists of Dean Pees who was their Coordinator for six years. who left to go to Tennessee,  where he is currently thriving and employed. Then you have Don  Martindale, who is their current Defensive Coordinator, also thriving and employed.  So, other than plucking one of their positional coaches,  who the Jets would have little or no interest in due to a lack of "NFL Coordinator's" experience, who would you suggest from this tree.  Just curious. By the way, "Scheme, Smartness and Innovation" are all hallmarks of a Greg Williams Defense.  You defeat your own point/premise.  Signed,  Same Old Jet Fan.

32 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

Same old Jet fan.  Attack each other rather than have a discussion.  I may not agree with others on the thread but respect the dialogue and opinions.  

You're the one coming up with bad arguements why what the Jets might do is already wrong....

Im all in at this point on what the Jets are doing. 

12 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

The "Ravens Tree" consists of Dean Pees who was their Coordinator for six years. who left to go to Tennessee,  where he is currently thriving and employed. Then you have Don  Martindale, who is their current Defensive Coordinator, also thriving and employed.  So, other than plucking one of their positional coaches,  who the Jets would have little or no interest in due to a lack of "NFL Coordinator's" experience, who would you suggest from this tree.  Just curious. By the way, "Scheme, Smartness and Innovation" are all hallmarks of a Greg Williams Defense.  You defeat your own point/premise.  Signed,  Same Old Jet Fan.

Jack DelRio

Mike Nolan

Chris Hewitt

9 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

And here's one that might be controversial on this board... more of a locker room dynamic question.  With the simmering anger over the firing of black coaches, including Wilks, the Jets go from Bowles, Rodgers, Bates, and a diverse set of coaches, to three white coaches/coordinators.  Then add Maccagnan and Heimerdinger.  How will that play in the locker room?  Would rather take a chance on promoting a Frank Bush to coordinator, and having a great staff underneath him that setting that up.  Can see that being a problem for Gase on the heals of Bowles, who was admired in that locker room.

Until we all stop evaluating people based on color and what the 'perception' or 'locker room dynamic' may be, this crap will never stop.

Simmering anger over the firing of black coaches?  Did any of the coaches regardless of skin color, here on the NYJ, deserve NOT to be fired?

2 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Until we all stop evaluating people based on color and what the 'perception' or 'locker room dynamic' may be, this crap will never stop.

Simmering anger over the firing of black coaches?  Did any of the coaches regardless of skin color, here on the NYJ, deserve NOT to be fired?

I don’t want to make this more than it is.  Agree that they all needed to go.  Performance matters.  You don’t keep guys if they are not measuring up, and you don’t make hires simply based on skin color.  Was just saying that all else being equal there were advantages to having diversity among the staff. I don’t think that Williams is the stand out everyone makes him out to be.  

I know people deserve second chances, but after thinking about it, the Bounty Gate thing bothers me. Players trying to hurt other players is just wrong. In a way, it is a little gladiator like. One player tries to hurt another in a effort to win a trophy for some rich owner. if these guys actually bounded together, they would have made some progress on wrestling some control (like punishments) away from the comish. They players are all about the benjamins - I don't blame them, but bounty gate was over the top...

Archived