All this talk of needing a pass rusher...

The12th Man

The bears had Mack. They lost to good scheming and coaching. The chargers have Bosa and Ingram....it’s being completely netrulized. 

The Cheifs Dee Ford only took over a game because they were constantly up on the scoreboard for the entire game. The thing that’s frustrating is it seems like you have to have a good enough offense that the Edge rusher plays well when you already have a lead. Also the Texans have Clowney and Watt....why weren’t they teeing off on Luck?

I personally feel pass rushers can wait. I’d be willing to bet that if we weren’t constantly playing from behind, and the playbook of opposing offenses was a lot smaller, our guys like Jenkins and Luvu would have had better numbers. 

Draft O Line 1,3,3.

or trade back and take o line 1,2,3,3,3. Maybe sprinkle in a WR.

4 minutes ago, The12th Man said:

The bears had Mack. They lost to good scheming and coaching. The chargers have Bosa and Ingram....it’s being completely netrulized. 

The Cheifs Dee Ford only took over a game because they were constantly up on the scoreboard for the entire game. The thing that’s frustrating is it seems like you have to have a good enough offense that the Edge rusher plays well when you already have a lead. Also the Texans have Clowney and Watt....why weren’t they teeing off on Luck?

I personally feel pass rushers can wait. I’d be willing to bet that if we weren’t constantly playing from behind, and the playbook of opposing offenses was a lot smaller, our guys like Jenkins and Luvu would have had better numbers. 

Draft O Line 1,3,3.

good call

12 minutes ago, The12th Man said:

Draft O Line 1,3,3.

did you miss the rest of the season? look how bad the vikings defense was without everson griffin

There isn't an offense lineman worth taking at 3.

They won't reach for one for the sake of it. 

Nobody does that's not how the draft works with a top 5 pick 

After giving up 3 second round picks to get to the 3rd spot just last year they will not take less just for the sake of it 

Nobody does that's not how it works. 

You all need to adjust to the reality of this draft 

With Flacco and maybe Wentz /foles and maybe others available the QB demand could be very low as well 

Gruden is really in the cat bird seat for a trade. 

9 minutes ago, The12th Man said:

Draft O Line 1,3,3.

Great catch by you, and yes I agree Oline, Oline and more Oline.

i recently heard another real interesting stat, sure it’d be nice to have a pass rusher but in the same vein, think of all the teams with bonafide #1 WRs..Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones etc....what have they won?  There are more of course, but in recent history the answer is nothing.

But I’d still default to spending any valuable assets on Offense rather than Defense just because of the Franchise QB coupled with the Rules blatantly favoring Offense.  Jets gave the idiot who coached them last virtually everything he wanted and his D was like a wet paper bag.

1 minute ago, Larz said:

There isn't an offense lineman worth taking at 3.

They won't reach for one for the sake of it. 

Nobody does that's not how the draft works with a top 5 pick 

After giving up 3 second round picks to get to the 3rd spot just last year they will not take less just for the sake of it 

Nobody does that's not how it works. 

You all need to adjust to the reality of this draft 

With Flacco and maybe Wentz /foles and maybe others available the QB demand could be very low as well 

Gruden is really in the cat bird seat for a trade. 

if AZ is smart they will dangle rosen in the offseason, even if it’s just a smokescreen they can take the leverage away from the #2-5 teams that already have young QB’s and force a desperate team to move up to #1 for haskins

Just now, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Great catch by you, and yes I agree Oline, Oline and more Oline.

i recently heard another real interesting stat, sure it’d be nice to have a pass rusher but in the same vein, think of all the teams with bonafide #1 WRs..Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones etc....what have they won?  There are more of course, but in recent history the answer is nothing.

But I’d still default to spending any valuable assets on Offense rather than Defense just because of the Franchise QB coupled with the Rules blatantly favoring Offense.  Jets gave the idiot who coached them last virtually everything he wanted and his D was like a wet paper bag.

tyreek hill and michael thomas are absolutely bonafide #1 WR’s

23 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The Chargers and Bosa have not touched Brady all day and he's killing them. 

Is Arnold Rothstein’s grandson following his granddaddy’s footsteps. There’s just no other explanation for this azz kicking. 

Is Arnold Rothstein’s grandson following his granddaddy’s footsteps. There’s just no other explanation for this azz kicking. 
Pat ... As usual are not getting called for holding or pass interference.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, BigO said:

chargers LB depth has been devastated by injuries so they are being forced to play 3 safeties. pats are gashing them with the run

5 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Pat ... As usual are not getting called for holding or pass interference.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

It’s 35-7. It’s a lot more than just a few calls going their way. Chargers have no answer to Pats defense or Brady’s precision. It’s like taking candy away from a baby.

This is the year of the pass rusher...the draft and free agency are both deep in it. It is a major team need it can not wait the time is here to fix pass rush. That doesn't mean that we have to ignore other positions as well but if the bpa happens to be a pass rusher and one of our top needs is pass rusher than why reach for a guy to fill another need?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

The Chargers problem is not their lack of pass rush, it's that they're playing a zone scheme against the greatest QB of all time when it's widely known the only way to beat them is to rush 4 and play man. This defensive game plan by their DC may be the worst game plan ever developed in a playoff game. Absolutely atrocious and embarrassing.

3 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

This is the year of the pass rusher...the draft and free agency are both deep in it. It is a major team need it can not wait the time is here to fix pass rush. That doesn't mean that we have to ignore other positions as well but if the bpa happens to be a pass rusher and one of our top needs is pass rusher than why reach for a guy to fill another need?

Conversely, if this is the "year of the pass rusher" and pass rusher is "deep in free agency and draft", then you can afford to "reach" for the best O-lineman in the draft at #3, and fill pass rusher with our 100 million in cap space (or a later round draft pick) instead.

Darnold is everything to this franchise now.  He IS our future.  Every pick must serve him.

A pass rusher at #3, theoretical BAP or not, does nothing for Darnold.  The best O-lineman in the draft, whomever he turns out to be, is a 10-year aegis for Darnold.  There is no real debate here as to what the right choice is.

Offense wins in the NFL today, and Offense starts with the O-line.  Defense?  What good has drafting defense over and over and over done for us?  We've been a wanna-be defensive team in an offensive league far too long.

Draft something for Darnold.  A shield.  A weapon.  But something.

Defense, for the first time in a decade, can wait it's god damn turn.

Of course, Macc being Macc we'll probably draft another Safety because BAP or something....

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The Chargers problem is not their lack of pass rush, it's that they're playing a zone scheme against the greatest QB of all time when it's widely known the only way to beat them is to rush 4 and play man. This defensive game plan by their DC may be the worst game plan ever developed in a playoff game. Absolutely atrocious and embarrassing.

seriously....worst gameplan ever. i stopped watching but i'm pretty sure i didn't see them blitz once

Trent Brown should be a free agent target. He’s absolutely monsterous, with great feet, and with him we could potentially slide Beachum to RT or either OG spot. 

If Gase’s offense is a power blocking scheme, and looking at his MIA roster, I believe it is, we could re-sign Carpenter, because he excels in that scheme, and get another big fatty like Glowinski to replace Winters.  Draft a center in the 3rd round, and we’re set. 

Point is, we don’t need to draft OL with our first three picks to improve our roster. 

Couldn’t agree more with the OP.

Defense is becoming an afterthought. It’s about scoring. Your defense will play well from the offense putting so much pressure on the other team having to press.

Getting the QB is the hardest part. Now you have to give him weapons and time. Fill out the defense with whatever you can.

You can scheme defense much easier than offense. .

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

by far the most important thing on defense is pressuring the qb. its very simple....and you can see the giants win vs the patriots and this embarrassment the chargers are showing today as an example. pressure brady and you can win. let him stand there unpressured and he picks you apart

3 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

by far the most important thing on defense is pressuring the qb. its very simple....and you can see the giants win vs the patriots and this embarrassment the chargers are showing today as an example. pressure brady and you can win. let him stand there unpressured and he picks you apart

That and corners

Gilmore and mccourty are the best combo in the NFL

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Conversely, if this is the "year of the pass rusher" and pass rusher is "deep in free agency and draft", then you can afford to "reach" for the best O-lineman in the draft at #3, and fill pass rusher with our 100 million in cap space (or a later round draft pick) instead.

Darnold is everything to this franchise now.  He IS our future.  Every pick must serve him.

A pass rusher at #3, theoretical BAP or not, does nothing for Darnold.  The best O-lineman in the draft, whomever he turns out to be, is a 10-year aegis for Darnold.  There is no real debate here as to what the right choice is.

Offense wins in the NFL today, and Offense starts with the O-line.  Defense?  What good has drafting defense over and over and over done for us?  We've been a wanna-be defensive team in an offensive league far too long.

Of course, Macc being Macc we'll probably draft another Safety because BAP or something....

It's depressing watching the playoffs and knowing just how bad the Jets are talent-wise.   The drafting has been atrocious for so long that by the time this team has talent top-to-bottom Darnold will be on his 2nd contract.  

The goal of the NFL is sustainable success.  The Pats* do a great job of spreading $ around and not using a significant % of the cap on any 1 player (who knows what side deal Brady has with Kraft).   They continuously let players go via FA in lieu of paying market rate.  WR, CB, OT, OLB/DE - all positions that tend to break the cap.   The best approach to me is spreading $ around and fielding a balanced team.   The only way to do that is to draft well and continuously green the payroll with youth.   

The Jets, as always, are going to be forced to pay market prices in FA to find players.   Paying Ford $15M or Paradis $12M is so much worse than drafting starting caliber players and paying them on their rookie contracts.   

The only way to fix this team is via the draft and Macc has shown no ability to do that.   

Assuming we don't dish out a ton of money on a running back who hasn't been seen in over a year we could fill both pass rush and ol holes in free agency and draft bpa

4 hours ago, The12th Man said:

Draft O Line 1,3,3.

Half the teams that missed the playoffs missed because they didnt have a consistent field goal kicker. 

The Bears lost because they had an inconsistent field goal kicker. Well, I shouldnt say inconsistent. Dude hit the uprights this season like 10 times. 

The problem is this, everyone thinks that one position is the answer. 

Teams who just have the pass rushers (Denver) sucks. Teams who just concentrate on having a QB (Colts) always underachieve. Teams who build complete teams tend to win. 

It's in the f'ing details. 

1 hour ago, The12th Man said:

Draft O Line 1,3,3.

You make a good argument. I'd be fine with using this draft to completely restock the oline (provided the players are worth where we take them). But I would still want to see something on the Edge added in free agency. 

Archived