ST Coach Brant Boyer signs extension

mrcoops

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

And he’ll take that. That’s a good opportunity for him to move up the ladder. Hope we can get someone good enough to replace him. You don’t typically hear much about a WR coach but I have heard that he’s a good coach.

Not sure who else the Packers are talking to, but yeah, if he is offered the position, got to assume he will take it.  Would be a great opportunity as a first time coordinator with a HOF QB.  Helped Adam Gase become a HC.

2 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

We gotta lock that Roberts kid up now so our special teams remain special

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Agreed.  But there were returns this year that were so well blocked that it was not just Roberts.  Have not seen blocking from return teams like we got this year since the days of Westhoff. 

Whose Special Teams just converted a fake punt for the Saints for some cross thread pollinization.

29 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Good move - glad they did that. I agree on Greene; I would also like to see the WR coach extended as well, but not as important as Boyer and Greene

It is about time that club Jets was closed for good. I read somewhere that the pushback from some of the players on Gase was that he was a hard-ass - some players here won't like it, but good riddance to them. Time to earn their pay.

Confused about the wide receiver's coach.  Anderson showed improvement this year but he would be the lone example of improvement by the wide receivers.  Kearse was a non factor.  Enunwa played well when he wasn't injured, but was a finished product.  Andre Roberts 9 year veteran, no impact.  Deontay Burnett, nice prospect, couldn't get on the field early in the season when help was needed.  Charone Peake, showed promise in camp, did not develop, special teamer at this point.  Then you have the "Busts" ArDarius Stewart,  Chad Hanson  Terelle Pryor.  None of these players showed any marked improvement this year.  That and the point that the Jets entire wide receiving corps showed NO aptitude to " separate from coverage" the entire season makes the case that this was a poorly coached underwhelming group.

2 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Confused about the wide receiver's coach.  Anderson showed improvement this year but he would be the lone example of improvement by the wide receivers.  Kearse was a non factor.  Enunwa played well when he wasn't injured, but was a finished product.  Andre Roberts 9 year veteran, no impact.  Deontay Burnett, nice prospect, couldn't get on the field early in the season when help was needed.  Charone Peake, showed promise in camp, did not develop, special teamer at this point.  Then you have the "Busts" ArDarius Stewart,  Chad Hanson  Terelle Pryor.  None of these players showed any marked improvement this year.  That and the point that the Jets entire wide receiving corps showed NO aptitude to " separate from coverage" the entire season makes the case that this was a poorly coached underwhelming group.

I was going to make the same point, though probably not quite so detailed. Heheh. Anyway, i don’t see it. Burnett looked good late, Kearse looked like hot garbage, so barely a wash. Good luck to him either way. 

8 minutes ago, fusionCA said:

100%

i like Boyer but he was lucky to have Roberts running around with his air on fire 

Roberts was already good but he had a career year under Boyer, that says much of it was down to the unit that BB built. That KO return TD against the Packers he was untouched and went straight up the gut, that’s almost always down to blocking. Not only that but we blocked punts, FG’s and EP’s as well as having tight coverage all year long. None of that was down to Roberts

11 minutes ago, Lith said:

Agreed.  But there were returns this year that were so well blocked that it was not just Roberts.  Have not seen blocking from return teams like we got this year since the days of Westhoff. 

Whose Special Teams just converted a fake punt for the Saints for some cross thread pollinization.

If Boyer carries on like this we might be headed back to a scenario like we had with Westhoff where it didn’t matter who we had returning kicks they were almost always among the best in the league and we always had return TD’s from Chad Morton, Leon Washington, Justin Miller, Brad Smith, Joe McKinight. 

If the system is good you can slot in almost anyone and be effective....almost

A WR can't turn trash into gold, but I noticed that Qs and Robby's route running was significantly better. I seemed to remember watching some games where others commented the same way. i can't remember who had that great catch in the end-zone (but out of bounds), but I thought the decent WRs played much better.

I don't think anyone could have fixed Steward, Hansen, etc. You also have to consider the overly predictable offense, the lack of time (so can't run longer routes), and lack of offensive scheme. Robby could run the best possible route, but if there is no time to develop it, the route was called against the wrong defense, and Darnold didn't have enough time to hit him, you can't blame the WR coach.

9 minutes ago, shevys said:

I was going to make the same point, though probably not quite so detailed. Heheh. Anyway, i don’t see it. Burnett looked good late, Kearse looked like hot garbage, so barely a wash. Good luck to him either way. 

Karl Dorrell has an impressive resume, is a good man and has a fine reputation.  I just don't feel that under his guidance the receiving corps has gotten better, and quite frankly stinks.

2 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Smart, smart move.

Next: Myers and Roberts.

When we cut down to 53 at the end of the last summer, I was pissed that we needed to use a roster spot for an (older) Roberts and cut one of the young guys because we didnt have a punt returner. I was pissed we were using up a spot for someone that was exclusively a return man and offered little at WR. After what he brought to the team this year, I am so happy to admit I was very wrong. In an ideal world it would be great if our 3rd WR or CB could provide that kind of return game, but I'm fine resigning Roberts exclusively as a return man. 

1 hour ago, MichaelScott said:

When we cut down to 53 at the end of the last summer, I was pissed that we needed to use a roster spot for an (older) Roberts and cut one of the young guys because we didnt have a punt returner. I was pissed we were using up a spot for someone that was exclusively a return man and offered little at WR. After what he brought to the team this year, I am so happy to admit I was very wrong. In an ideal world it would be great if our 3rd WR or CB could provide that kind of return game, but I'm fine resigning Roberts exclusively as a return man. 

HE ended up being a seviceable 4th WR at the end of the season as well. That guy should be resigned 

2 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

I felt the same way at the beginning of the season.  Compounding the issue, we also kept Charone Peake to be exclusively a gunner on STs.  You can live with 1 WR who is primarily a STer, but not 2.  I want to keep Roberts, he was such a great weapon as a return man that he should be back, but there is no way we can waste two WR spots with STers.  Peake is under contract for next year, but with Cannon emerging as a gunner, there is no way we should keep him next year.

4 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Smart, smart move.

Next: Myers and Roberts.

YES!!!

Special Teams is a very important 1/3 of the game!  Really, really happy to see this.  Consistency in that phase of the game is important.

Hopefully this Gregg Williams signing gets confirmed soon.  If that happens then I'm really happy with a Gase, Williams, Boyer setup....even if the OC is a bit of an unknown or concern to me.

We have a coaching staff setting up to start playing hardball.  A big difference from the softballers we had here previously.  I think we'll be aggressive in every phase of the game.

And all this bullspit about players not liking Gase or they think he's a hardass or whatever.  Screw that!  We've had a bunch of happy losers for too long around here!  I'll take some winners who think their feelings are getting hurt sometimes!

Go Jets!

11 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I keep reading in all of the posts references to Dogwell McStuffins as the Jets' new Offensive Coordinator.  Am I mistaken or has there been no confirmation of his being offered or having accepted the position?

He's still under contract with Miami, and won't be released until they hire a new Head Coach. This might take a while if it's Flores, with the Cheats still in the playoffs.

Plus, Miami is current;y pretending that they want to keep him - probably mainly to annoy Gase.

He probably ends up here eventually, as the Phish surely won't keep him and Gase clearly values him.

18 hours ago, Pac said:

Shaping up to be a no nonsense, no excuses, take no bullsh-t staff.

Williams and Boyer are showing that Gase isn't going to let sentimentality rule his decisions.  He wants good coaches. 

The free ride for under performing players is coming to an end.

Or more likely this was a Mac/CJ hire.

It's already been established that Gase isn't choosing his own staff. 

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Where was that established?

He's apparently keen to bring in Loggains as OC, plus his LB and DL coaches from Miami. Probably more guys that we don't know about yet too.

Not sure how that squares with him not picking his own staff?

Miami is very likely to keep their STC, Rizzi, so keeping Boyer on board makes sense given the great year the Jets' STs just had.

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I don't think that has been established at all.

McCarthy and Rhule have already said they didn't take the job because the Jets management wanted control over their staff choices - it's not a pretty big leap to assume they demanded the same of Gase.

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

McCarthy and Rhule have already said they didn't take the job because the Jets management wanted control over their staff choices - it's not a pretty big leap to assume they demanded the same of Gase.

Two guys that didn't get the job are making excuses as to why they didn't get the job.

I think this "the Jets want to control assistant coaching hires' is massively overblown.

I'm sure they asked each guy who they wanted to bring in - I know I would, if I was hiring.

But that's a long way from trying to "control" who their current HC hires. They asked questions in interviews, made their decision based on the answers, and now have hired a HC, who will then hire the assistant coaches.

16 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You're on a crusade lol.  

Definitely not true but you don't believe it so is what it is.

Gase will win you over in a few hours with his charming disposition.

Archived