New York Jets & Gregg Williams: Dissecting the 3-4 to 4-3 transition

GREENBEAN

9 hours ago, k-met57 said:

That we don’t need to dump our more consistent defender besides Adams if we switch. It’s asinine to suggest otherwise.

Oh I wasn't suggesting that we get rid of Jenkins....I was just talking about his potential fit in a 4-3 if we do hire Williams and make the switch

11 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

If Cincy and Miami have to wait on Taylor and Flores to officially accept their jobs then I'm not surprised if Williams hangs out there for a little while. What if Flores pulls a McDaniels and backs out?  Maybe Miami pivots to Williams?

Quite honestly, I don't think Gregg Williams is a particularly great choice for HC, but I wouldn't be totally surprised if he's somebody's backup plan.

Miami definitely will hire him out of desperation if something happens with Flores. I am waiting until I hear something officially before I get my hopes up, not that Jets have ever let me down before.

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Is Williams the DC or what?

Not yet.    Although Cincy and Miami seem to have found their next head coach, perhaps Williams has agreed to be the DC of the Jets once those two vacancies are official?   

12 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I feel like this sh*t doesn't matter as much as it used to. Teams switch back and forth all the time with this stuff nowadays.

Teams go so much 3 and 4 WR looks.

How often do you actually play your base front 7, in either form?   I would say your nickle corner plays as much or more than your 3rd LB in a 4-3 nickel, or your 4th LB in a 3-4

14 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Going to miss Henry Anderson if he's not in the plans guy played hard every down. 

Anderson gained a lot of weight before he was traded last year to play in the Colts D (they switched from a 3-4 to a 4-3 last year).  Hopefully they re-sign him and ask to do the same.  One of the rare things Macc did right.

6 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Nothing official just rumors at this point.

I suspect the official announcements of both Williams and Boyer will happen today either at the presser or just before.

I think they were holding off on sending out official announcements (meaning from the team itself, not a leak from a source) to let the games be the focus.

If we don't get an official announcement on either today, I suspect we are not as close to extending Boyer and signing Williams as twitter says we are.

10 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Nothing official just rumors at this point.

Somewhat at a loss with Rhule not being hired due to “staffing issues” while the current OC is Dowell Loggins and the DC has yet to be named.

I hope we’re not being hoodwinked here.

20 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Somewhat at a loss with Rhule not being hired due to “staffing issues” while the current OC is Dowell Loggins and the DC has yet to be named.

I take the wait and see approach with this team but I will be  definitely be  disappointed if Williams is not the D.C. Miami's DC last year was atrocious.

42 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Dowell Loggins is not our OC and I haven't seen anything that even linked him to the job, other then the reporters suspecting that Gase might go in the direction since he was the OC for him in Miami.

I have not heard anything definitive on Loggins similar to what has leaked out about Williams and Boyer.

55 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

CITE your source as this is NOT true no has it been verified. Don't start spreading FAKE BuLL$hit.

If they do switch, I do think we need to add a NT to the list of needs... It comes after all the offensive pieces we need but I still put it on the list... A 4-3 gets eaten alive without a big piece to fill in the gaps.

I've been trying to read up on guys that could go on Day 3 of the draft... One guy that I'm growing to like is DT/NT Demarcus Christmas out of Florida State. .. His final college numbers are pretty modest, and he'll need to work on getting off blockers better, but he's really good at planting his feet and taking up room. He might not generate a bunch of sacks but he's going to clog up space, and that's a plus.

Most outlets have him listed in the 3rd-5th round range.

3 hours ago, chirorob said:

Teams go so much 3 and 4 WR looks.

How often do you actually play your base front 7, in either form?   I would say your nickle corner plays as much or more than your 3rd LB in a 4-3 nickel, or your 4th LB in a 3-4

Yeah, you have to be able to do everything in the pros now, simply because guys are too athletic and particularly for defenses the rules favor passing offenses so much. Tool up your offense or defense for one specific thing and you don’t leave yourself any options. Even during the Rex era if I recall correctly the Jets weren’t exclusively a 3-4. 

There’s really no switch to be made. Fans way overrate what teams do nowadays. It’s mostly every team running the same crap on both sides. Innovation is dead.

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

If presumptive defensive coordinator Gregg Williams plays his usual 4-3 front, it shouldn't be that difficult to transition from the current 3-4. The one issue: They're short on DEs. Let's project five of the front seven: MLB Avery Williamson, WLB Darron Lee, SLB Jordan Jenkins, DT Leonard Williams (Nathan Shepherd), NT Mike Pennel. They don't have any experienced 4-3 DEs under contract, but they could take one with the third pick. This could hurt Henry Anderson's chances of re-signing because he's better in a 3-4. Overall, this is a solid move by the Jets. Williams will bring attitude to the defense.

Archived