Still Ripping Gase? Maybe it's Time for Another Look!!

Charlie Brown

7 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Did he walk out on his team during the final week of practice before a must win game? 

LT was not a "good guy". Drugs, drinking, women, etc... But, he was not a problem in the locker room. His teammates could count on him when the chips were down. He didn't cry over Carl Banks getting to blitz if he had to play coverage. For LT it was about winning. For Brown, it is about Brown.  

Depends on your point of view I guess.. I'm sure all the players weren't thrilled to have a different set of rules, I know Simms wasn't as he said many times.. I do agree drugs or not LT left it all on the field..

20 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Depends on your point of view I guess.. I'm sure all the players weren't thrilled to have a different set of rules, I know Simms wasn't as he said many times.. I do agree drugs or not LT left it all on the field..

Doesn't sound like Phil had any problems with LT

33 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Did he walk out on his team during the final week of practice before a must win game? 

LT was not a "good guy". Drugs, drinking, women, etc... But, he was not a problem in the locker room. His teammates could count on him when the chips were down. He didn't cry over Carl Banks getting to blitz if he had to play coverage. For LT it was about winning. For Brown, it is about Brown.  

Great point.

Forgetting even my opinion on the matter for a minute, let's be honest, there's nothing in this piece that has any reason to change anyone's position one way or another.  It's actually a far less detailed version of what's being provided around here.  Just because it's one guy's opinion who posts on a different website instead of here, doesn't give me reason to think any more highly of his thoughts than any of yours.  In the end, it still ultimately comes down to the same thing, to what level you think is most appropriate to blame/excuse him for his track record, when looked at in comparison to the quality of players.

The truth of the matter is things always settle a bit after the initial reaction, if for no other reason than exhaustion.  That's true of everything and simply human nature, but no one has any real reason to change their opinions until there's anything that happens on the field with the Jets that gives us reason to.  Needless to say, that opportunity won't be coming along particularly soon.  For now... we wait.

1 hour ago, Savage69 said:

And no one was a bigger fan of the Flim Flam BBQ man Hermie the horrible then CB..=D>

Good Grief. 

All I said was that no one could win with Brooks Bollinger under Center and that Herm Edwards should not have been blamed for that.

But I did and do hold him accountable for poor clock management and his maddening conservatism that cost us a chance at a win in Pittsburgh and championship game.  I do hold him accountable for NOT caring about wins and losses as much as the fan.  

I also hold Herm fully accountable for his preacher man stick and barbecues being focused on as opposed to getting better coaches in here to.  

But IMO opinion then at least we were competitive!!

So that was my defense of Herm or anyone else who has functioned under this Jet FO.  

But if you look you can see I supported Mangini and thought he did some good things at first and said that the Jets fired him prematurely when they said he would not be held accountable for the Farve acquisition. 

So no one including you had ever said or heard me say bring back Herm Edwards and the good old days of Chad and company. That would be evidence of mindless support  

As a Jets fan I am going to support whomever is the current HC until they prove beyond redemption.  

I did not want Gase but does that mean for so long as he is here I should take constant shots and him and be a troll on his every move?

No  

Why do that?

If I am going to be miserable I would stop following the team.  

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Walter Football. lol.

Hey, what’s that 7th grader whose article Pac used in a pro-Rex rant up to these days? He’s gotta be out of High School by now. I’d like to get his thoughts on the Gase hire.

WF has been around for a very long time and is respected a lot more than some of the other dreck out there.  But as we all know, any of these sites is just an opinion posting opportunity for alleged experts, so one should always take any of these (positive or negative) with a grain of salt.   But judging based off the long history of Jet-bashing at Walter Football, I find their opinion very encouraging.

7 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Nice post. FWIW Walter Football, whether you like it or not, is never usually especIally complimentary about the Jets. 

that puts it mildly.  WF has long been a consistent  Jets-basher (probably rightfully so in most instances).  So I really like the thumbs up they give here.  

Nice post. FWIW Walter Football, whether you like it or not, is never usually especIally complimentary about the Jets. 

Yeah, usually they trash the Jets but it's nice to see them be complimentary.

I think the NY media is an embarrassment, because they have a ton of hot takes to rile people up for ratings and that's why there is such a negative vibe to the hire. I guarantee, if we signed any of the following narratives:

Kingsbury: What a joke, fired at TT. Jets always a dumpster fire.

Rhule: College coach, no outstanding offense ability.

McCarthy: The game has passed him by, only the Jets would pay for his retirement.

Jim Harbough: Couldn't beat OSU, couldn't win Super Bowl and hot head. Only the Jets!

John Harbough: A smart organization like Baltimore let's him go, something is up, Jets suckers again.

Great Post!!
I cut out some becuase I wanted to focus on the following:
Side bar.......
I am also asking [mention=27696]DJF71[/mention] this question as well since he was so down on McCarthy and despite his problems with Rogers would have been one of his biggest pluses...
Do you think that Gase's emblematic personality precludes the Jets from acquiring problematic players like Antonio Brown and Levron Bell?
If Gase has trouble directing himself how can he manage high strung folks who the Jets might need to win?
Just  questions.....................

I do think it prevents them from attracting some problem players, but that may or may not be a bad thing.

From what I heard (obviously after the hire and by reporters so take it with a grain of salt) Gase demands effort, and disengaged from Ajayi, Landry, Suh because those guys weren't putting in effort for game preparation.

I think this obviously hurts someone like Brown being brought in, because apparently he's a diva in practice. I think there is less chance of the "oh I can turn him around" stories we saw with Rex. I think for rehab guys, they will focus on guys that have issues outside of the NFL, like drug issues, domestic violence and less towards the on field divas like Santonio Holmes of the past.

I don't know about Bell but I think AB doesn't have a shot here with Gase unless it's forced on him. I think someone like Hunt/Clark are in play.

It'll be interesting as to how they go about the draft. I thought they legitimately wanted a shot at Rosen last year, but didn't make the move. I'm wondering if his diva attitude played a reason.

A few misc points to add:

• Pettine is staying in GB, so he was not available.  Don’t know how available Capers was either.  McC’s biggest negative was his ability to build a staff/tree.  He was not in a position to be closed minded about accepting help and recommendations for at least a defensive staff.
  • I think Walter Football gave the Jets a A for hiring Bowles 4 years ago.  
  • Who else were the Jets hiring, realistically, if not Gase.  3 years ago he was at least as qualified as Shanahan, McVay, LeFleur, the guy Cincy wants to hire, Kingsbury.  Gase is worth a shot with Darnold.   Gase cannot be worse than Bowles.   I don’t know whether the Jets make the playoffs next year, but I think the product will be more entertaining.  

Just now, Warfish said:

Having now seen Gase's into presser, it's clear that Gase apparently "takes another look" approx. every 0.32 milliseconds.

He would never pass the "follow the light" eyeball movement sobriety test administered by NJ State Troopers.  If the eyes travel smoothly without stalls, then you pass that particular test.  If your eyes move from left to right in herky-jerkey stuttering fashion, the cuffs come out.  Gase's eyes never stop moving.  

Archived