The Calm After the Storm; Jets Fans Getting on Board With Gase Hire

JetNation

Gase2.jpg

Perhaps it was because some members of the national media praised the move, perhaps it was the well publicized endorsement from Peyton Manning, or maybe it was the commentary from wide receiver Alshon Jeffery, who said that Sam Darnold could one day be a Super Bowl MVP under his tutelage.  We’re talking of course about the hiring of Adam Gase as the Jets new head coach and fan reaction to the move.

Initially, fans were none to happy about the decision to bring Gase to 1 Jets drive just a few weeks after being fired by the Dolphins.  According to a twitter poll from Rich Cimini of ESPN New York, a whopping 68% of fans were unhappy with the hire after it was announced.

Survey: Do you like the Adam Gase hire or not? #Jets

— Rich Cimini (@RichCimini) January 10, 2019

Since that time, fans seem to be getting more comfortable with the move as a JetNation.com poll showed that nearly the exact same number of Jets fans felt better about the move with 67% saying they were warming up to the decision.

A few days have passed since the Gase hiring, Jets fans. How are you feeling about it.

— Glenn Naughton (@AceFan23) January 12, 2019

It could be any of the reasons mentioned above.  Or maybe, just maybe, Jets fans are tired of being angry about who their head coach is, and would like a moment to be hopeful and optimistic, no matter how realistic or unrealistic it may be.

It’s a new start that’s way overdue and the majority of fans appear ready to let Gase wipe the slate clean and start anew with Gang Green.

The post The Calm After the Storm; Jets Fans Getting on Board With Gase Hire appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
Lb_blpvduRM

Click here to read the full story...

jet fans often let "hope" blind them to what reality really is

people defend mac-he built one of the worst rosters in football

people defended bowles and his coaching was some of the worst in football

people are now trying to defend a terrible hire out of hope-we hired a guy that has a terrible record and even worse his offenses are some of the worst in the league-you will hear he is smart lots of people are smart it does not mean they would be good coaches-they talk about how he will help Sam when QBs have been terrible under his coaching-people will then say they were just bad qbs but one thing we know he has not coached up any of these terrible guys

Gase was a terrible hire-now like the guys before him we will be stuck with him for 3-4 years to put in his system

football is like a business and a business gets its vision and plan from ownership/management-our ownership is not a good one and they continue to go down the same path and they expect different results and fans have to have hope because without hope you have nothing

19 minutes ago, kmnj said:

jet fans often let "hope" blind them to what reality really is

people defend mac-he built one of the worst rosters in football

people defended bowles and his coaching was some of the worst in football

people are now trying to defend a terrible hire out of hope-we hired a guy that has a terrible record and even worse his offenses are some of the worst in the league-you will hear he is smart lots of people are smart it does not mean they would be good coaches-they talk about how he will help Sam when QBs have been terrible under his coaching-people will then say they were just bad qbs but one thing we know he has not coached up any of these terrible guys

Gase was a terrible hire-now like the guys before him we will be stuck with him for 3-4 years to put in his system

football is like a business and a business gets its vision and plan from ownership/management-our ownership is not a good one and they continue to go down the same path and they expect different results and fans have to have hope because without hope you have nothing

Things a 2000 Patriot fan might say?

48 minutes ago, Lith said:

What choice do we have but to get on board with it.  Nobody wants to hear me bitching all off-season, so I won't.  He is our Coach.  I am just going to hope it works out for the best.

I was totally against this hire.  Now I can only hope that he becomes a Jets legend, but I think Gase's rope will be a lot shorter than most new hires.

Nothing? What if he wins 7 SBs with the Jets. He would still be a terrible hire even then?

Yes. It’s a terrible hire. Nothing will change that.

I’ve said this before - you could bet on a million to one shot - and you may get incredibly lucky and win that bet. But it doesn’t change the fact that it was a bad bet.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If by "getting on board" they mean "begrudgingly moving on since there's nothing we can do", sure, that sounds like me. 

Me as well.  He wasn't my choice, but he's our guy now, so yeah.  Jets Fans root for the Jets, and Gase is the Jets Coach.  So like him or not, prefer his hiring or not, we'll all "be onboard" come opening day hoping for the best,  Hoping we're wrong on the guy,  I love being wrong.

35 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes. It’s a terrible hire. Nothing will change that.

I’ve said this before - you could bet on a million to one shot - and you may get incredibly lucky and win that bet. But it doesn’t change the fact that it was a bad bet.

Sorry, but that is just plain stupid. If I bet on a million to one shot and win, it was by definition a good bet. A bet that wins is ALWAYS a good bet. Your subjective view of the wisdom of that bet is absolutely meaningless because you were proven wrong by the fact of the bet being a winning bet. This is just an instance where you are contending that even if you are proved wrong, you were not wrong. That is the height of arrogance.

Sorry, but that is just plain stupid. If I bet on a million to one shot and win, it was by definition a good bet. A bet that wins is ALWAYS a good bet. Your subjective view of the wisdom of that bet is absolutely meaningless. because you were proven wrong by the fact of the bet being a winning bet. This is just an instance where you are contending that even if you are proved wrong, you were not wrong. That is the height of arrogance.

People do stupid things and sometimes get lucky. If you can’t see that then we’ll never agree.

I.e. If I go out, get sloppy drunk and drive my car home - luckily get home safely - was is a good idea to drive?

Or am I being arrogant to think it was a bad decision even though I got home safely?

I hope the Jets win. I hope Gase proves me wrong. I hoped the Jets would win and that a litany of coaches and players before them would prove me wrong. They haven’t. I remain highly opposed to the hire and pretty sure it’s going to fail. But, whatever. This team is a consistent disappointment. 

IMO The negative reaction to Gase was mostly because in previous polls about 68% of fans wanted McCarthy.  Including myself.  Most of the rumors at the time were McCarthy was a done deal at first.  Our own fearless leader had a Thread to just get  McCarthy signed Now.  I was in that camp.  Right up until Gase was announced, I was fairly sure it was going to be McCarthy.

When Gase was announced the fan base went into shock that the Jets had hired a failed Division Rival as HC.  Again myself included.

When Gase was hired by the Fish 3 years ago he was the hottest young Coordinator available.  Several teams were trying to hire him.  I suspect if he were hired by the Jets at that time he would have received a much different reception.  Jets fans would have been thrilled.  He was young, described as an offensive  genius by a few excellent QB's like Peyton.  Very QB centric.  He looked so good in order to sign him the Dolphins had to give him roster control.  IMO a mistake.  Just to much for a first time HC.

So what happened in Miami?  Well, as I mentioned he is QB centric.  His O is going to be built around his QB.  Every thing he does is going to be played to his QB's strengths, and to make his QB's job easier.  

His starting QB, was at best, Meh.  The Fish, with a weak roster still went 10-6 first year.  Tannerhill had his best year ever.  Over the next two years Tannerhill  missed 21 out of 32 games, finished this year hurt but still playing.  Gase used 5 different QB's over the last 2 seasons.  Still had the Fish at 7-6, and a punchers chance to make the play-offs.  Tannerhill got hurt again in the "Miami miracle", and the Fish folded.

My opinion, Gase , in spite of the weak O rankings, did an excellent job with the 5 bad QB's he had to use.  Again IMO, he is an excellent match for Darnold.  He IS going to make Darnold be the best QB he can be..  Which hopefully will be at the top of the league.  Darnold is the  most valuable asset the Jets have, and the future of the Jets.  I think he'll be better because of Gase.

My concern with Gase is, can he manage the entire team? His people skills surly need some work.  LOL.    Hopefully his experience in Miami will help him mature in those areas.  He doesn't have roster control here so that might help.

All in All, after further review, IMO this was a good hire.  Sam is going to benefit greatly from it, and that is  very important  for the Jets.  Hopefully the fanbase will give him a chance to see how it turns out.  Doubt they will though.  LOL

5 minutes ago, flgreen said:

IMO The negative reaction to Gase was mostly because in previous polls about 68% of fans wanted McCarthy.  Including myself.  Most of the rumors at the time were McCarthy was a done deal at first.  Our own fearless leader had a Thread to just get  McCarthy signed Now.  I was in that camp.  Right up until Gase was announced, I was fairly sure it was going to be McCarthy.

When Gase was announced the fan base went into shock that the Jets had hired a failed Division Rival as HC.  Again myself included.

When Gase was hired by the Fish 3 years ago he was the hottest young Coordinator available.  Several teams were trying to hire him.  I suspect if he were hired by the Jets at that time he would have received a much different reception.  Jets fans would have been thrilled.  He was young, described as an offensive  genius by a few excellent QB's like Peyton.  Very QB centric.  He looked so good in order to sign him the Dolphins had to give him roster control.  IMO a mistake.  Just to much for a first time HC.

So what happened in Miami?  Well, as I mentioned he is QB centric.  His O is going to be built around his QB.  Every thing he does is going to be played to his QB's strengths, and to make his QB's job easier.  

His starting QB, was at best, Meh.  The Fish, with a weak roster still went 10-6 first year.  Tannerhill had his best year ever.  Over the next two years Tannerhill  missed 21 out of 32 games, finished this year hurt but still playing.  Gase used 5 different QB's over the last 2 seasons.  Still had the Fish at 7-6, and a punchers chance to make the play-offs.  Tannerhill got hurt again in the "Miami miracle", and the Fish folded.

My opinion, Gase , in spite of the weak O rankings, did an excellent job with the 5 bad QB's he had to use.  Again IMO, he is an excellent match for Darnold.  He IS going to make Darnold be the best QB he can be..  Which hopefully will be at the top of the league.  Darnold is the  most valuable asset the Jets have, and the future of the Jets.  I think he'll be better because of Gase.

My concern with Gase is, can he manage the entire team? His people skills surly need some work.  LOL.    Hopefully his experience in Miami will help him mature in those areas.  He doesn't have roster control here so that might help.

All in All, after further review, IMO this was a good hire.  Sam is going to benefit greatly from it, and that is  very important  for the Jets.  Hopefully the fanbase will give him a chance to see how it turns out.  Doubt they will though.  LOL

Gase did okay despite bad QBs? Cool. Bowles got saddled with two bad QBs and got career years from them both and a rookie who improved throughout the season. And everyone agreed he needed to be fired. Why is Gase any different?

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Nothing Payton Manning says will change that fact that this was a terrible hire.

Bowles was a fantastic hire according to Jets fans in the weeks and months following his hire.  We saw how that turned out.

If there's one group of people whose impartial judgement and rational analysis I trust least, it's probably us Jets fans.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

What choice do we have but to get on board with it.  Nobody wants to hear me bitching all off-season, so I won't.  He is our Coach.  I am just going to hope it works out for the best.

This is pretty much where I'm at.  No different than when we hired Bowles.  Seems like a terrible choice at the time and would have much preferred other choices but nothing I can do about it other than hope I'm wrong about Gase.  I'd love to be.  It would bring me all sorts of joy to say, I was wrong, Gase is the man and truly hope I do.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

People do stupid things and sometimes get lucky. If you can’t see that then we’ll never agree.

I.e. If I go out, get sloppy drunk and drive my car home - luckily get home safely - was is a good idea to drive?

Or am I being arrogant to think it was a bad decision even though I got home safely?

We are talking about "bets" and "hirings", not drunk driving.  Decisions about making a bet to win "win money" or giving a HC a job with the intention of "winning games", have zero relationship to risking your life driving drunk.  You gained nothing by deciding to drive drunk. The result of taking an uber and driving drunk were the same i.e. you got home safe. Therefore, you won nothing. All you did was unnecessarily risk your life.

So, give me an example of a bad hiring where the coach wins or a bad bet where you win money.

1 minute ago, Sonny Werblin said:

We are talking about "bets" and "hirings", not drunk driving.  Decisions about making a bet to win "win money" or giving a HC a job with the intention of "winning games", have zero relationship to risking your life driving drunk.  You gained nothing by deciding to drive drunk. The result of taking an uber and driving drunk were the same i.e. you got home safe. Therefore, you won nothing. All you did was unnecessarily risk your life.

So, give me an example of a bad hiring where the coach wins or a bad bet where you win money.

You gain your time and money by driving yourself instead of taking an Uber.  There is, without question, value in not taking a cab.

Bottom line, sometimes bad decisions can work out but that doesn't change the fact that they were bad decisions.

I don't want to go back and forth about - we disagree - so I'll leave it at that.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You gain your time and money by driving yourself instead of taking an Uber.  There is, without question, value in not taking a cab.

Bottom line, sometimes bad decisions can work out but that doesn't change the fact that they were bad decisions.

I don't want to go back and forth about - we disagree - so I'll leave it at that.

That is lame logic...  and I think you know it.   I guess I'll wait forever for the example of a bad winning bet or bad hiring of a HC who wins.

Archived