Dolphins Free Agents

Jetsfan80

Among the Dolphins' free agents, which are realistic to follow Gase here?  And who do you want following him here?

• RB Frank Gore (age: 36) -- 2018 PFF Grade:  82.0
  • DE Cameron Wake (37) --  81.6
  • DE William Hayes (34) -- 79.8
  • WR Leonte Carroo (25) -- 76.1
  • RB Brandon Bolden (29) -- 76.0
  • RT Ja'Wuan James (27) -- 70.7
  • NT Sylvester Williams (30) -- 63.2
  • C Travis Swanson (28) -- 60.6
  • DE Ziggy Hood (32) -- 60.5
  • TE A.J. Derby (27) -- 60.5
  • RB Senorise Perry (27) -- 60.0
  • G Jesse Davis (27) -- 55.1
  • FS Maurice Smith (24) -- 53.6
  • QB Brock Osweiler (28) -- 52.7
  • OLB Stephone Anthony (27) -- 47.4
  • RT Sam Young (32) -- 45.6
  • OT Zach Sterup (27) -- 45.4

Not a very inspiring list.  I imagine Carroo doesn't hit free agency.  So give me Ja'Wuan James as, at minimum, a stopgap at RT while Shell works to come back from injury.  Can't hurt to grab Travis Swanson if he hits FA also, since C is a dire need. 

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Among the Dolphins' free agents, which are realistic to follow Gase here?  And who do you want following him here?

• DE Cameron Wake (age: 37) -- 2018 PFF Grade:  81.6
  • RB Frank Gore (36) -- 82.0

Not a very inspiring list.  I imagine Carroo doesn't hit free agency.  So give me Ja'Wuan James as a stopgap/backup for Shell while he comes back from injury.  Can't hurt to grab Travis Swanson if he hits FA also, since C is a dire need. 

RT Ja'wuan James probably the only one. I guess Osweiler could be an option depending on what they do with Tannehill this year. Our luck we will spend too much on Wake.

1 minute ago, Stark said:

RT Ja'wuan James probably the only one. I guess Osweiler could be an option depending on what they do with Tannehill this year. Our luck we will spend too much on Wake. 

Defensive players are a lot less likely to follow Gase anywhere, I imagine. 

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

• RB Frank Gore (age: 36) -- 2018 PFF Grade:  82.0
  • DE Cameron Wake (37) --  81.6

Not a very inspiring list.  I imagine Carroo doesn't hit free agency.  So give me Ja'Wuan James as, at minimum, a stopgap at RT while Shell works to come back from injury.  Can't hurt to grab Travis Swanson if he hits FA also, since C is a dire need. 

Shell is only expecting a 6 week rehab and is expected to be full go for OTA’s etc

17 minutes ago, Stark said:

9 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I'd take Ja'Wuan James to be our right tackle next year. Also, I wouldn't mind Osweiller as a backup. He seems to play ok under Gase. We are going to need a backup QB with some experience.

Is RT a pressing need? Shell isn’t good but he’s serviceable right? He’s at the top of the list for Macc supporters of a good draft pick. Also, James has been quoted as saying he didn’t like Gase’s offense. So there’s that. 

No one on that list should be signed by the Jets. 

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Is RT a pressing need? Shell isn’t good but he’s serviceable right? He’s at the top of the list for Macc supporters of a good draft pick. Also, James has been quoted as saying he didn’t like Gase’s offense. So there’s that. 

I don't know the details of Shell's knee injury. The last I heard was he may not need surgery and could be ready for offseason workouts. It wouldn't be bad to bring in James and get some competition on the roster. I think a lot of our guys don't feel threatened about losing their playing time and competition at some spots could make them play better/harder.

16 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Ju'wan James and Frank Gore are the only ones the Jets should even consider. A veteran HB that knows the O would be a very valuable asset for Darnold

Frank Gore is going to be 36. The Jets need to get younger and more explosive at RB. Not older and slower. 

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I prefer Davis Webb but it is what it is. 

Why? Davis Webb has never even taken a snap in the NFL. I don’t like Osweiler, but the Jets need a legitimate number 2 QB. And now McCown either. He’s done. 

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

Frank Gore is going to be 36. The Jets need to get younger and more explosive at RB. Not older and slower. 

Why? Davis Webb has never even taken a snap in the NFL. I don’t like Osweiler, but the Jets need a legitimate number 2 QB. And now McCown either. He’s done.  

Osweiler would be fine.  When you have a franchise QB, backup QB doesn't matter much anyways.  All you need is a guy who can keep you competitive through the minor injuries.

God, it sounds good to say that we have a franchise QB. 

20 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The entire line is a pressing need in my opinion. If we can upgrade we should be looking to do so. But if James made those comments than obviously he is out. Osweiller still wouldn't be a bad option as a backup. Just my opinion.

41 minutes ago, Stark said:

Is he that much better than Shell, at the $$ difference?

I'm asking, I don't really know.

5 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Older re-treads don't work here id much rather a younger hungry QB be available just in case, instead of a guy who just goes through the motions. 

54 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Shell has a PFF grade of 62.8, so not a huge upgrade to James. No idea what Carroo's rating is based on, the guy only caught two passes all year (though one was a 74 yard TD). Special teams? 

20 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Older re-treads don't work here id much rather a younger hungry QB be available just in case, instead of a guy who just goes through the motions. 

He could probably stay on the practice squad and if, God forbid, something happens to Darnold, the season would be lost anyway so give the kid a chance I suppose. 

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I hope not, I am hoping Davis Webb can be the long term backup.

New regimes almost always mean new QB's.  Since obviously Darnold is going nowhere, Gase is going to want one of "his guys" as the # 2.  Osweiler is the only one that makes sense among that group of QB's he's coached.

If Webb sticks around, he'll be the # 3 or on the Practice Squad.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

New regimes almost always mean new QB's.  Since obviously Darnold is going nowhere, Gase is going to want one of "his guys" as the # 2.  Osweiler is the only one that makes sense among that group of QB's he's coached.

If Webb sticks around, he'll be the # 3 or on the Practice Squad.

God help us if Gase considers Brock "his guy"

Archived