New Coach Timeline (CBA Question)

IndianaJet

I know with the new CBA, coaches are prohibited from having any meaningful football related conversations with the players until much later than normal.

I also know that teams with new head coaches are allowed to start that process a week or two earlier then teams who did not undergo a coaching change.

Does anyone know if Gase is at least allowed to send Darnold the playbook before the official "coaching" period starts?

(I googled for a bit and couldn't find an answer to the playbook question)

5 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

I know with the new CBA, coaches are prohibited from having any meaningful football related conversations with the players until much later than normal.

I also know that teams with new head coaches are allowed to start that process a week or two earlier then teams who did not undergo a coaching change.

Does anyone know if Gase is at least allowed to send Darnold the playbook before the official "coaching" period starts?

(I googled for a bit and couldn't find an answer to the playbook question)

Technically they can’t talk football until the beginning of official off-season activities.  I’m not sure how anyone can prove that Gase gave a playbook to Darnold however.   

Just now, sec101row23 said:

Technically they can’t talk football until the beginning of official off-season activities.  I’m not sure how anyone can prove that Gase gave a playbook to Darnold however.   

True...and who's to stop Gase and Darnold from getting together at a Motel 6 in SoCal to kick start the process.

Of course, if they get caught, I'm sure the league would impose fines.

QBs do off-season workouts all the time with these alleged QB gurus. The easiest get-around for Gase in this instance would be to refer Darnold to the QB guru of his choosing, and having that private coach work the stuff that Gase wants worked. 

1 minute ago, IndianaJet said:

True...and who's to stop Gase and Darnold from getting together at a Motel 6 in SoCal to kick start the process.

Of course, if they get caught, I'm sure the league would impose fines.

Or give it to Darnold’s off season coach and trainer and have them work through it.   I think the league is more concerned with these coaches having “unofficial” meetings or practices and making the players feel like they are actually mandatory.  

4 minutes ago, slats said:

QBs do off-season workouts all the time with these alleged QB gurus. The easiest get-around for Gase in this instance would be to refer Darnold to the QB guru of his choosing, and having that private coach work the stuff that Gase wants worked. 

^^^^

I like the way this guy thinks.

Archived