Press Conference

section314

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgive me for insensitivity, but if Gase DOES have social anxiety/spectrum/issues/whatever, that IS a legitimate issue for an NFL Head Coach.

-Word was alot of his players in Miami didn't like him and obviously quit on him at seasons end.

-Word is he had verbal altercations with his front office and Owner.

-Word is that people like Jamal Adams are not exactly wallflowers afraid to speak their minds.  

The job of an NFL Head Coach IS a social interaction job.  

If he legitimately has issues (whatever those issues may be), that would concern me only from a "can he actually manage an entire staff and team of modern entitled NFL Kids" or not.

Time will tell, but word from Miami isn't exactly encouraging.  And this presser very much made him look like he has issues in a social setting.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Forgive me for insensitivity, but if Gase DOES have social anxiety/spectrum/issues/whatever, that IS a legitimate issue for an NFL Head Coach.

-Word was alot of his players in Miami didn't like him and obviously quit on him at seasons end.

-Word is that people like Jamal Adams are not exactly wallflowers afraid to speak their minds.  

If he legitimately has issues (whatever those issues may be), that would concern me only from a "can he actually manage an entire staff and team of modern entitled NFL Kids" or not.

Time will tell, but word from Miami isn't exactly encouraging.  And this presser very much made him look like he has issues in a social setting.

he's running a football team not hosting the emmys.  not everyone likes to be the center of attention.

Don't find much humor in the amateur psychology on display in this trend.  Labeling someone publicly with a disorder? Pretending to know the results without testing and only by the look of someone's eyes? Are you kidding me?

Was he nervous - yes. Did I like what he said - yes. Enough said.

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Oh, brother.

5 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

This.  Too many lazy people, including parents and teachers, jump on that diagnosis in order to medicate kids into a malleable stupor, because its easier for them to deal with.

A small fortune, testing, counseling (from numerous experts for second, third opinions) just to make sure the right diagnosis is made.

Some kids/adults are just socially awkward is correct, and people need to deal with it, instead of recommending Prozac as a way to “even out” a personality that doesn’t fit their narrow, cookie cutter mold of social behavior.

End of freakin’ rant. ?

Again, a scribe from Miami told the Post that he does not have "illnesses".

I'm pretty clearly on the record of not being a fan of the Gase hire at all, but quite frankly I could not give the tiniest flake of sh*t about how good or bad his press conference / interview skills are.

Over the years we've certainly seen more than our fair share of opposite extremes, from guys who seemed like they were putting on comedy acts more than talking about football (e.g., Herm, Rex) to those that were less interesting to listen to than watching paint dry (Mangini, Bowles).  Not once did those situations have a single thing to do with their ability (or inability) to coach football.  It doesn't this time either, so it's pretty meaningless, other than perhaps what degree of entertainment it will provide when we all have nothing better to do.

I really, really do hope Gase proves me wrong about his abilities as head coach, but one way or another this kind of stuff won't mean a thing.

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Ok, so lets just make believe this press conference never happened, and go from there. Just promise me that none of you guys with young kids let them watch Gase's post game pressers on SNY

EDIT As I read on in this thread, I see comments by some here who have children, or work with people who are autistic, and talk about Aspergers. I am incredibly ignorant on this subject, and just want to say I hope I haven't offended anyone with this, and any other flippant remarks I've made in this thread. Nobody reacted to them negatively, or has remarked badly about them, yet I feel uncomfortable with myself for making them. Thanks.

My adopted son has Asperger's  and I didn't see anything that would offend.  By you or anyone.  There are so many different aspects to those on the "Spectrum" so it's hard for even me to be totally sure of what is or is not a characteristic.  For instance,  I'm not sure tics are a part of it because while my son has some motor issues, "flapping" and Jumping amongst them,  facial tics are not a characteristic.  Anyway while Asperger's is a challenge for him in many ways. it is also somewhat of a blessing.  He is incredibly intelligent,  having taught himself to read on the computer at the age of three.  He doesn't forget anything, ever. His mind is like a computer, that is part of the blessing and the problem.  He can not ever turn his brain off.  He is constantly stimulated by everything and anything.  That is the challenge.  All things considered,  all of  us have our blessings and challenges in life.  As long as he lives a somewhat full, happy life it does not matter.  As for Gase, if he is indeed "on the spectrum"  the blessings  and challenges are similar.  He will be detail oriented, relentlessly a perfectionist,  obsessively searching for perfection, driven, motivated and somewhat brilliant,  He will also be awkward,  struggle with interpersonal relationships, and somewhat "flighty".  Strengths and weaknesses, like any other "Coach".  The only poster who "offended" was High Pitch, and not because that kid has Asperger's.  It was because he was a Killer.  That was not a result of his Asperger's, he turned out the way he did because of his environment, and sh*tty parenting.  All kids left to their own devices without parenting can end up like that.  His situation only further exacerbated the situation.  My son is kind and gentle, as are most kids with Asperger's.  High Pitch is just ignorant.

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

Yeah, Gase certainly has the look of someone who could be on the spectrum. Or he could have social anxiety.

None of which means anything, as long as he can coach.

Belicheat has all the social charm of Vlad the Impaler, and he has done OK as a coach.

We didn't hire this guy to give press conferences - we hired him to coach football.

Yes but if that social anxiety or whatever it is - translates to losing the team (which happened in Miami) then we've just wasted 4 years of Darnold's career.

54 minutes ago, Jets1958 said:

Don't find much humor in the amateur psychology on display in this trend.  Labeling someone publicly with a disorder? Pretending to know the results without testing and only by the look of someone's eyes? Are you kidding me?

Virtue signaling at it's best.

2 hours ago, HighPitch said:

I work with autistic kids all day. Hes "on the spectrum" for sure as they say in the business. Doesnt mean hes dumb, just means he is socially awkward. He could be brilliant

YOU work with Autistic kids, yet you posted that picture from Newtown?!   What the Hell is wrong with you. Clearly in your "working" with these kids you haven't been paying attention.  Either that or you have a warped sense of humor or are just plain stupid.  In either case, it's not good.  Feel sorry for you, but worse for the kids you work with.

1 hour ago, Vader said:

that was last week. and it was closer to 25%. the other 70% was McCarthy and 5% Gase-out-of-left-field-and-we-are-already-cranky-and-impatient

this week, it’s his “affect”, which I don’t really think is fair game past the first 10 seconds you have seen him.

If he’s not on coke, then it’s not something he can control really. People should be aware of that.

This is such a loser fanbase really and truly we don’t deserve a winning team. If you go to a game you’ll never wanna go back

maybe the raiders are worse 

52 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

He clearly isn't comfortable in PC format but listening to him being interviewed on ESPN radio he sounded normal.

Yeah, you can tell the big presser is not fun for him.

But in a one on one interview later with Jenay Coakely he came across as personable and comfortable and perfectly fine, imo. Nothing to not like, and I was initially negative on him and looking for reasons not to like him.

Granted I knew nothing about him and it mostly about my hate for the Dolphins

2 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

God, some of these comments are so shallow.  The press conference itself was very amateur...,you could have propped up a bunch of dry sticks with painted faces and been just as professional.

The Jets PR machine failed the new HC, could have done more to present him to the NY media where he could feel more comfortable.

Different guy one on one.  Who cares how he came off in that debacle, they all looked bad.  His said some promising things in the interviews after the OC.

It starts at the top. Its clear that Christopher Johnson doesn't have the slightest idea what hes talking about. The reporters kept asking him questions just to put him on the spot and he came off as clueless and unable to articulate WHY he hired Gase over other candidates and when pushed on it looked stupid.

Eric Allen is a joke. You're telling me there isnt a better media presence they could hire than that boob....in New York City??

And Maccagnan is a nonentity. How he kept his job is beyond me. Coach Gase is on his own I think. 

Obviously that was one the worst press conferences ever for a new head coach. The worst part is that Gase has done this before. You can give a first time coach a pass (well in most markets) however a coach with three years of experience is not a great first impression as a new head coach.

Was I mistaken when Gase was speaking about how his Miami Offense was not highly ranked say “we gave up stats for wins”? If true, 1. Don’t teams usually win more with better stats on offense. I mean this made me do a double take. Not sure if I heard that wrong.

2. What players in today’s NFL will want to come play for a coach who says that he held the stats down? In a “I have to get mine numbers for my next big contract” will this play out for FAs?

Granted Gase was not my first choice and will still get behind him however I am not feeling very positive about this hire.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Bill Bellicheat, Nick Saban, Woody Hayes, Greg Popovich, Tony Larussa, Phil Jackson, Tom Landry, even Vince Lombardi.  Not exactly a list of Cum Laude graduates of Miss Manners' Charm School.  All did pretty well considering their lack of "Social Graces".  Relax,  if he doesn't succeed here it won't be because he wasn't "Sweet" enough.

1 minute ago, kthisguy said:

Obviously that was one the worst press conferences ever for a new head coach. The worst part is that Gase has done this before. You can give a first time coach a pass (well in most markets) however a coach with three years of experience is not a great first impression as a new head coach.

Was I mistaken when Gase was speaking about how his Miami Offense was not highly ranked say “we gave up stats for wins”? If true, 1. Don’t teams usually win more with better stats on offense. I mean this made me do a double take. Not sure if I heard that wrong.

2. What players in today’s NFL will want to come play for a coach who says that he held the stats down? In a “I have to get mine numbers for my next big contract” will this play out for FAs?

Granted Gase was not my first choice and will still get behind him however I am not feeling very positive about this hire.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Press conferences don’t win games. Personally, it was better than most Bowles pressers. Worst ever? Remember those early Bellicheat pressers in NE?

1 hour ago, Xtina said:

Oh my God. Get this man a hat. 

send him one, he definitely could use one of your knit beanies to keep that scalp warm come December. Consider it a good will gesture that will warm his heart to Jets fans.

Archived