DC options remaining

rayzor

Most of us want Gregg Williams but it looks to me that it might not happen despite the reported indefinite "talks".  Looks like he could wind up in Washington.  This hire is more important than the OC hire since i think Gase will be making the calls on his own scheme.  While most of the high profile coordinators have already signed on somewhere, here are the remaining options i can think of.  Slim pickings.

Kris Richard -  would be a good hire but if successful, he's gone in a year.

Marquan Manuel -  they cleaned house in Atlanta.  The Falcon's D was ranked 25th in points allowed. 8th in 2017.

Steve Spagnuolo -  had some interest from Browns

Dom Capers - GB ranked 22nd.  Had some interest from Cards

Rex Ryan -  not sure if he would be willing to be a DC

Marvin Lewis - not sure he would be willing to be a DC

Jack Del Rio

Mike Nolan

Matt Burke - Miami connection.  Hopefully not.  D ranked 29th in 2017 and 27th in 2018

Am i missing any other candidates besides a string of assistants out there?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Most of us want Gregg Williams but it looks to me that it might not happen despite the reported indefinite "talks".  Looks like he could wind up in Washington.  This hire is more important than the OC hire since i think Gase will be making the calls on his own scheme.  While most of the high profile coordinators have already signed on somewhere, here are the remaining options i can think of.  Slim pickings.

Marquan Manuel -  they cleaned house in Atlanta.  The Falcon's D was ranked 25th in points allowed. 8th in 2017.

Matt Burke - Miami connection.  Hopefully not.  D ranked 29th in 2017 and 27th in 2018

Jack Del Rio would be my pick.  Could you imagine Rex Ryan and Adam Gase on the same team?  It would be a reality show   

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Jack Del Rio is an okay make up for missing on Gregg Williams if thats what winds up happening. I can’t think of many that are available who could even do a half way decent job. 

They really do need to try to lock this contract up with Williams.

Don't think Williams is happening. Three days now, and they can't seal the deal. I don't know what the sticking point is, but it now seems like a real impasse.

Eeesh... other than Richard that list is rough. I'd prefer a younger coach looking for a promotion. Maybe Del Rio or Mike Nolan but I'm afraid the game might have passed them by (strange to say about relatively young guys). 

What about old friend Karl Dunbar or former Niner HC Jim Tomsula? 

Just now, Jets1958 said:

Don't think Williams is happening. Three days now, and they can't seal the deal. I don't know what the sticking point is, but it now seems like a real impasse.

Nah, I just think the tweet made has put us under the impression it was suppose to be sealed within 3 days. Which that was reasonable to believe but after hearing Adam Gase touch on it, I got the impression that it’s still a good possibility but it’s just taking a little time to meet formally, talk in depth, etc. 

Now if it isn’t done by Wednesday/Thursday, then I’d say it probably won’t be happening.

10 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

That guy who Tampa Bay hired as DC (name escapes me at the moment) is supposed to be a defensive genius but it is probably better that he signed with them as he won't be around long. Teams will probably be clamoring to promote him to HC next year. 

Not bad  :)

51 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Jack Del Rio

Mike Nolan (saints LB coach)

Chris Hewitt (Ravens DB coach)

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

Sounds non committal which is wise. The tweet last week did not come from the Jets. We have to get used to the idea that this org leaks almost nothing. It's been that way for the past 4 years and it's not looking like it will change any time soon.  We have to cut it out with believing tweets about the Jets unless they come from the Jets. The insiders had our HC search dead wrong at the end there. I was completely blown away when it was learned that we had offered the job to Gase. 

I sincerely hope it's Williams but any official word coming from the Jets now through Gase is committing to nothing. 

Bob Babich

Current LBs coach @ Buff

Former HC of ND ST. '97-'02

in league since '03 as LB coach w/Rams

Former DC in Jax for 3 years under Bradley '15-'17

Former DC, LBer coach in Chicago during Lovie Smith years '04-'12

Knows the AFC east after 2 years w/Bills

no one was doing business over the divisional playoof round weekend.

Dallas dude's D just got absolutely scorched. I dont wanna see the Jets giving up 270+ on the ground in teh playoffs.

IDGAF how animted he was on the sidelines.

Sen Lee looking at him like, you effn kidding me, dude?

Williams’ choice of assistants probably.  

Because not only do we need to micro-manage the HC’s assistants, we have to do that to the DC too.

But don’t worry, Williams wasn’t our first choice anyways.

50 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Bob Babich

Current LBs coach @ Buff

Former HC of ND ST. '97-'02

in league since '03 as LB coach w/Rams

Former DC in Jax for 3 years under Bradley '15-'17

Former DC, LBer coach in Chicago during Lovie Smith years '04-'12

Knows the AFC east after 2 years w/Bills

strong work on that one. 

Archived