DC options remaining

rayzor

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

I prefer Williams but Jack Del Rio and Spags would be right behind him. Either of those 3 guys would be a solid choice. If not one of them, than I'd be ok with a guy like Mike Nolan. 

Steve Spagnuolo has done a pretty good job defending against Tom Brady. ;)

Just now, jetstream23 said:

Steve Spagnuolo has done a pretty good job defending against Tom Brady. ;)

So after NEXT year when TB12 retires/gets flattened into retirement, then Spags would finally be COMPLETELY useless to a modern NFL team? That cache has dwindled over the last 12 years since it happened 

51 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

So after NEXT year when TB12 retires/gets flattened into retirement, then Spags would finally be COMPLETELY useless to a modern NFL team? That cache has dwindled over the last 12 years since it happened 

Fair point. The only thing I'll disagree with is Brady retiring.  The dude has turned into Dick Clark and could be heading to another Super Bowl.  He ain't retiring....he'll stay there until Belichick croaks!

Not sure if this was mentioned but Del Rio was the DC in Denver from 2012-2014. Gase was QB Coach/OC during those 3 years. So they've worked together. 

Del Rio also fits the type of DC that Gase mentioned in that he's a guy he can trust to run the show on defense much in the way McVay/Nagy let Wade/Fangio run the show on defense. I still prefer Gregg Wiliams, but Del Rio would very solid as well. 

This is starting to feel like the McCarthy situation again where some posters have already made up their mind that they want a guy and anyone else we bring in will be proof that this franchise is a joke and the Jets are doomed.

5 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Call Rex.  He may not be the best HC, but as far as DC goes, there's nobody better.  And Gase needs a guy who can work on his own.  Supposedly Rex wants to get back into coaching.

I'd love that, but I think considering his past here that he'd end up being a distraction. Plus I'm not sure if he'd want to be a coordinator again.

one thing that sticks out in the gase interviews is that he's going to be hand off of the defense.  i'm not sure if that's such a good idea.  does this mean he doesn't know defense?  how can one have a successful offense without knowing about defenses?  maybe it's possible to separate the coaching aspect from the x's and o's.

but this also speaks to the need to get a dc with a good track record and who can run the defense without much input fro the hc.  that fits williams to a tee.  it may fit the older dc's like spags or nolan too.  nolan was dc for groh in 2000 and then did 3 seasons in baltimore.

14 hours ago, Jets1958 said:

Don't think Williams is happening. Three days now, and they can't seal the deal. I don't know what the sticking point is, but it now seems like a real impasse.

It’s the Johnsons we are talking about probably something ridiculous like 401k match percentage or MTA allowance

some decent names still out there, Williams is my first choice as he seems like a madman and I think thats what this D needs right now, but I'd be happy with Del Rio, Nolan, Richard or if Marinelli gets let go...  

not a lot of DC jobs left right?  Pick your poison if you are Greg Williams, I actually think I'd take Chris J over Synder for sure...

Lots of Bears fans liked there secondary coach Ed Donatell, assume he goes to Denver with Fangio but if not could be interesting - he was on Jets staff from 90-94 LOL

Considering this is the Jets, should we be listing worst case defensive coaches? It will be hard to be to field a more terrible defense than kacy but it seems the Bengals, Bucs and Raiders found a way, so there is a chance

25 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

We think he is. Let's see, hopefully if we get him he is.  

In my opinion he would be the most qualified especially after Gase said he wants someone to run the D while he concentrates on developing Sam. It's strange that they hired two defensive assistances already so who the hell knows what's going on, this sh*t is making me crazy.

5 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

In my opinion he would be the most qualified especially after Gase said he wants someone to run the D while he concentrates on developing Sam. It's strange that they hired two defensive assistances already so who the hell knows what's going on, this sh*t is making me crazy.

When did the idea that a coordinator hires the entire defensive staff start?  Don't get the significance of Boyer and whoever have been retained.  Or the idea that Gase wasn't consulted.

Again, I like Williams but given I have no idea who they hire of he doesn't want to come here who they hire I don't know who is the best choice.  It's not like he clearly so much better than some of the others available.  I get we all want a screaming maniac but that doesn't make him the bestest D.C. out there

26 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

When did the idea that a coordinator hires the entire defensive staff start?  Don't get the significance of Boyer and whoever have been retained.  Or the idea that Gase wasn't consulted.

Again, I like Williams but given I have no idea who they hire of he doesn't want to come here who they hire I don't know who is the best choice.  It's not like he clearly so much better than some of the others available.  I get we all want a screaming maniac but that doesn't make him the bestest D.C. out there

For me it's not about being a screaming maniac, its the fact that he was a HC before and I feel he is one of the best choices for our DC position. Who would you like to see as our DC who can basically run the whole defense. I am all for the best man for the job, maybe I am wrong , maybe their is somebody better out there, if there is they better make the right choice.

1 hour ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

For me it's not about being a screaming maniac, its the fact that he was a HC before and I feel he is one of the best choices for our DC position. Who would you like to see as our DC who can basically run the whole defense. I am all for the best man for the job, maybe I am wrong , maybe their is somebody better out there, if there is they better make the right choice.

He was a HC who's failed so many times he's not a real HC candidate any more though.  The DC Gase had in Miami, for what it's worth, dis a good job, screw numbers. He had little beyond a DL and had them playing well without A secondary do who knows.  Not like the Browns D was the 2000 Ravens.  So I'll bet there are others, Williams is more known an face it, it's where we gravitate to, the guy we know and we all love the loud guy.  I'm in that group too. 

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He was a HC who's failed so many times he's not a real HC candidate any more though.  The DC Gase had in Miami, for what it's worth, dis a good job, screw numbers. He had little beyond a DL and had them playing well without A secondary do who knows.  Not like the Browns D was the 2000 Ravens.  So I'll bet there are others, Williams is more known an face it, it's where we gravitate to, the guy we know and we all love the loud guy.  I'm in that group too. 

Miami's D was horrible, my choice is Williams. If we miss out on him hopefully we find someone competent enough to run the entire D. Let the chips fall where they may. 

The retread names aren’t looking to good right now....I would take Del Rio but other then that and Gregg Williams its a pretty meh bunch

We might have to hire a young hungry position coach ready to make the leap....one name to look at is Chris Hewitt, Secondary coach of the Ravens...He’s done a good job with that group in Balitimore and he’s a hometown guy from Englewood, NJ. Coached at Rutgers as well. No Nonsense, aggressive coach but still personable....When Dean Pees left Baltimore, they gave the DC job to Wink Martindale(who’s done a fantastic job) over Hewitt but now he’s next in line for a DC job. 

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bs-sp-ravens-chris-hewitt-0802-20150801-story.html

Archived