Jets CEO: Gase hire about winning, not Twitter

Gas2No99

Jets CEO: Gase hire about winning, not Twitter

i?img=%2Fmedia%2Fmotion%2F2019%2F0114%2Fdm_190114_Gase_Jets_Presser_Darnold_NFL%2Fdm_190114_Gase_Jets_Presser_Darnold_NFL.jpg&w=943&h=530&cquality=80

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- On the day they introduced their first offensive-minded head coach in more than 20 years, the New York Jets were forced to play defense.

CEO Christopher Johnson defended the decision to hire Adam Gase, insisting Monday that he isn't worried about the negative reaction from fans.

"I get it," Johnson told reporters after the formal news conference. "Part of it is I have to earn their trust. We just had a couple of down years. I have to earn their trust. I think they will see, if not right now, they'll see it pretty soon as a great hire.

"I'm not trying to win Twitter. I'm trying to win football games. I think we're going to win some football games here."

In two seasons as the acting owner, Johnson has presided over 5-11 and 4-12 seasons, resulting in Todd Bowles' ouster. After interviewing eight candidates, including former Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy, the Jets picked Gase, in large part because of his background with quarterbacks. That was the theme of the day: quarterbacks and Sam Darnold, who had input on the coaching search. The Jets' hierarchy overlooked Gase's mediocre record with the Miami Dolphins (23-25) because they believe he can turn Darnold into a star.

"It's really the first time I've been able to get with a guy this young, this early in his career," said Gase, who has worked with Peyton Manning, Jay Cutler and Ryan Tannehill. "He's hungry for knowledge. He wants to be coached. When you have a player like that who also has the physical traits, it's exciting for me."

Gase said his first priority is hiring a staff. The Jets haven't announced any hires, but they have retained special-teams coordinator Brant Boyer, sources said. Former Cleveland Browns interim coach Gregg Williams has been floated as a defensive coordinator candidate, but that isn't a done deal. Gase might not hire a quarterbacks coach, suggesting that he will be hands-on with Darnold.

The Jets' most recent head coach with an offensive background was Rich Kotite, who went 4-28 in 1995-96. The league is trending toward so-called quarterback whisperers, and the Jets joined the fad.

"To paraphrase Wayne Gretzky, he's coaching to where football is going," Johnson said of Gase.

McCarthy is an offensive-minded coach, and unlike Gase, he has won a Super Bowl. Johnson described McCarthy as a "terrific" candidate who enjoyed an "incredible run" with Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers, but that wasn't enough to convince him and general manager Mike Maccagnan that McCarthy was right for the Jets, who haven't made the playoffs in eight years.

"To me, to Mike, seeing how Adam has gotten the best out of quarterbacks in different stages of their careers is vitally important, no question," Johnson said in explaining why he preferred Gase.

"It's not that there was anything wrong with McCarthy or any of the other guys. They were fantastic, but Adam took it to another level."

Johnson refuted reports that said talks with McCarthy and Baylor coach Matt Rhule broke down because management wanted to pick their assistant coaches. Rhule, in a radio interview after Gase was hired, said he didn't want to be part of "an arranged marriage."

"No, that never happened," Johnson said. "I completely deny it."

Gase didn't bring much electricity to his first news conference, speaking for less than two minutes with his opening remarks. He avoided bold statements and spoke in generalities, not sharing his vision for the team.

He lamented Miami's offensive struggles last season (31st in yards), saying the Dolphins sacrificed statistics for wins. He also claimed that he is on board with the Jets' power structure. He won't have control of the roster, an authority he held in Miami.

"That's not something I was really interested in," he said. "That's just kind of how it worked out in Miami. It was something that was almost offered up. ... I knew coming in here it would be a team effort. I can do my part, which is coaching the team."

Gase received a strong endorsement from Manning, who called Johnson last week to advocate for Gase. Asked about Manning's recommendation, Gase smiled and said, "I feel like he's had to do it too much."

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

the **** does this even mean

Playing PREVENT Defense to PROTECT a lead in the 4th Qtr which acquiesces HIGH passing/running yards for the opposing team in exchange for keeping the clock running so the opposing offense runs out of time to comeback. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Maybe it’s just me, but I kinda dig the approach by Chris Johnson and Gase here, basically giving everyone the finger and staying focused on the business end. This is not how the Jets usually do business. 

Starting to feel like we need to send Rick Alan Ross over to lock you up for a weekend and make you watch the last four years of Jets games on a nonstop loop.

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

the **** does this even mean

Running the ball to control game tempo AND to keep a dangerous  opposing offense OFF the field: So many rushing attempts and dink-dunk passes which may not produce gaudy offensive stats, but keeps HIS team in control of the game tempo AND Time of Possession. 

Just now, Gas2No99 said:

Running the ball to control game tempo AND to keep a dangerous  opposing offense OFF the field: So many rushing attempts and dink-dunk passes which may not produce gaudy offensive stats, but keeps HIS team in control of the game tempo AND Time of Possession. 

oh wow

1 minute ago, Gas2No99 said:

That worked out great. While he was the coach they had a losing record, no playoff wins and sh*tty stats. I can’t wait. 

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Starting to feel like we need to send Rick Alan Ross over to lock you up for a weekend and make you watch the last four years of Jets games on a nonstop loop.

There’s a special place in my heart for socially awkward jerkoffs and, boy, this one checks all the marks

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

No, I’m starting to get it. One other question: this system of his, it produced a lot of wins, did it?

Good, it took you long enough. 

Well, a whore can't show you how to do her tricks, THAT'S the MAGIC you have to wait and see come the season opener!

FirsthandGloriousDwarfmongoose-small.gif

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Maybe it’s just me, but I kinda dig the approach by Chris Johnson and Gase here, basically giving everyone the finger and staying focused on the business end. This is not how the Jets usually do business. 

Same here.

I didn't reference Twitter but I said a week ago that the Jets were hiring Gase to win games, not press conferences.  And it's true....because uhhhhh....they're obviously 0-1 in press conferences now.  But, we haven't played any games yet!  So we've got that going for us....which is nice.

F40HcmzI_400x400.jpg.cc60d398a10151f4cb77681958c7f215.jpg

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I agree!

I really like CJ he is not a panicker and he has  a good sense of what he is trying to do.

20 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Great. Now i understand

23 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Playing PREVENT Defense to PROTECT a lead in the 4th Qtr which acquiesces HIGH passing/running yards for the opposing team in exchange for keeping the clock running so the opposing offense runs out of time to comeback. 

Kinda  sounded like a proposal for  "Prevent Offense".   How's that for "Coaching for where football is going".

17 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I think it means he installed an offensive system predicated on protecting the ball due to the personnel he had on offense. 

I 100% thought this was more of a message to UPPER MANAGEMENT that IF you go get me some playmakers my offense will NEVER EVER have to play this way, and has zero interest in playing offense that way, and he thinks Sam Darnold is his ticket.

27 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

The hire was about winning so you hire a coach with a losing record. 

You would have been that guy who tried to convince people that Jeff Fisher was a better coach than Bellichick because Bellichick had a losing record in Cleveland.

You guys are pretty simple. You look at records and extrapolate that if he had a winning record at his prior job that he therefore will do well here. Kind of like the way Rams looked at Fisher's 142-120 record. Multiple playoff appearances. Near Super Bowl with with the Titans and assumed that would translate. 31 and 45 later and Jeff Fisher is the laughing stock of the NFL. 

You guys need to learn that we do not assume our coaches previous record. We don't get credit for his playoff wins or SB win. We don't get Aaron Rodgers and Davante Adams.

Whether he has any chance at all will depend on the assistants he hires.  Rex and Bowles had the worst assistants possible. I'm still not happy with the hire but it is what it is.

The pity is with Mac at the helm buying the groceries Gase will be cooking with prego tomato sauce and kraft dinner and half price ground beef.

Archived