Jets CEO: Gase hire about winning, not Twitter

Gas2No99

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I agree!

I really like CJ he is not a panicker and he has  a good sense of what he is trying to do.

I like CJ better than Woody.  But I like broccoli better than brussels sprouts.  However, I like ice cream way better than I like broccoli.

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Maybe it’s just me, but I kinda dig the approach by Chris Johnson and Gase here, basically giving everyone the finger and staying focused on the business end. This is not how the Jets usually do business. 

Exactly. The Jetsy thing to do would have been the McCarthy hire.

3 minutes ago, Barton said:

Exactly. The Jetsy thing to do would have been the McCarthy hire.

yes, because the Jets always hire a veteran NFL head coach with over a decade of head coaching experience and a superbowl ring.   

8 hours ago, Dcat said:

Please.  This is just stupid.

Lots of wins?  Sure with Tannehill, right. (and didn't they get 10 wins with that guy?) And with Cutler, right... Cutler never got wins... with anyone or anywhere.  You know what... it did produce a lot of wins in Denver with Manning.  Makes you think...  at least a little.  Do you think that Gase might have a better chance for a lot of wins with Darnold?  Slightly?  You think he wouldn't be a rock solid coach for Darnold in particular, and significantly better than all the other HC candidates, including McCarthy?  I'm willing to risk Gase's locker room skills (like Rex or Bowles had any better) for an opportunity to do the most important thing in professional football in the 21st century.  Develop your young, 21 year old, potential franchise QB.  Especially when you haven't had this kind of opportunity in decades.

This is why they hired Gase.  He provides the best opportunity to develop Sam of all the candidates.  Maybe they didn't trust McCarthy as much to work with Sam at this stage of his career.  It starts and ends with who Chris Johnson thinks will do the best job with Darnold.  All the backstories about Maccagnan and power struggles were probably true, but in the end those are all secondary to the #1 priority.  For Chris Johnson at least, it came down to that one thing: creating the best opportunity to make Darnold a star.  His decision was Gase.  I get it and now accept it.  You and others should consider it.  

Sounds like he’d make an excellent QB coach 

14 minutes ago, Xtina said:

Sounds like he’d make an excellent QB coach 

of course he would. That goes without saying.  But you are missing the point.  We need a HC who is offensive minded and thathe happens to be a QB guru. is a very solid fit with a 21 year old potential star.    #1 priority.  

a fish dies from the head down-one look at our ownership explains why the franchise makes so many bad moves

It is "about winning" they hire a coach that has never won and got the least out of his players and passed on a guy with a winning record and one that earned a ring

get ready for another 4 years of misery-but jets you are not getting my money any more-congrats you made probably your longest tenured fan in my father walk away-ticket holder since day one when the franchise started. I am walking away after going to over 300 games since I was a kid

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

of course he would. That goes without saying.  But you are missing the point.  We need a HC who is offensive minded and thathe happens to be a QB guru. is a very solid fit with a 21 year old potential star.    #1 priority.  

No I’m not missing the point. His ceiling appears to be QB coach 

8 hours ago, Dcat said:

Please.  This is just stupid.

Lots of wins?  Sure with Tannehill, right. (and didn't they get 10 wins with that guy?) And with Cutler, right... Cutler never got wins... with anyone or anywhere.  You know what... it did produce a lot of wins in Denver with Manning.  Makes you think...  at least a little.  Do you think that Gase might have a better chance for a lot of wins with Darnold?  Slightly?  You think he wouldn't be a rock solid coach for Darnold in particular, and significantly better than all the other HC candidates, including McCarthy?  I'm willing to risk Gase's locker room skills (like Rex or Bowles had any better) for an opportunity to do the most important thing in professional football in the 21st century.  Develop your young, 21 year old, potential franchise QB.  Especially when you haven't had this kind of opportunity in decades.

This is why they hired Gase.  He provides the best opportunity to develop Sam of all the candidates.  Maybe they didn't trust McCarthy as much to work with Sam at this stage of his career.  It starts and ends with who Chris Johnson thinks will do the best job with Darnold.  All the backstories about Maccagnan and power struggles were probably true, but in the end those are all secondary to the #1 priority.  For Chris Johnson at least, it came down to that one thing: creating the best opportunity to make Darnold a star.  His decision was Gase.  I get it and now accept it.  You and others should consider it.  

Sorry, just want to make sure I’m following. “He was hand picked by Chris Johnson” is meant to be an argument...in favor of Gase?

8 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Sorry, just want to make sure I’m following. “He was hand picked by Chris Johnson” is meant to be an argument...in favor of Gase?

yes, because the reason was 100% to make Darnold the star franchise QB you and the rest of us want and expect him to be.  Absolutely.   Again, you don't know at all what they saw or didn't see in McCarthy.  If Johnson felt McCarthy was worse for Sam than Gase would be, then I have to respect that decision.  

It's way too easy to say the Gase hire was based on a Maccagnan power struggle.  I thought that for a while and I think there may be some backstory there, but the big thing is Sam Darnold. 

Who did you want as HC again? I don't recall seeing your endorsement for anyone.  Must have missed it.  If you didn't express a preference, why?   I was originally heavily in favor of McCarthy because I figured he'd be the best for Sam.  Looks like the Jets, C Johnson, didn't think that.  

10 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Playing PREVENT Defense to PROTECT a lead in the 4th Qtr which acquiesces HIGH passing/running yards for the opposing team in exchange for keeping the clock running so the opposing offense runs out of time to comeback. 

He specifically spoke about turnovers. Calling safer plays to help minimize potential bad plays. If you look at the top 8 teams in TO differential 7 made it into the playoffs, Miami was ranked 9th. 

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

yes, because the reason was 100% to make Darnold the star franchise QB you and the rest of us want and expect him to be.  Absolutely.  

And developing franchise QBs is something Chris Johnson—who is definitely not one of the dumbest humans currently walking the earth—knows a lot about, so we should trust his choice

8 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

And developing franchise QBs is something Chris Johnson—who is definitely not one of the dumbest humans currently walking the earth—knows a lot about, so we should trust his choice

Mccarthy, Monken, KK, Gase were the only viable offensive minded candidates worth a damn.  KK has no experience.  Something about McCarthy rubbed them the wrong way and neither you nor I know what that is exactly, but Cleveland wasn't exactly enamored either.  Gase has HC experience.  Monken not.  It would have been many people's choice, not just Chris Johnson.  CJ did not make this choice easily or flippantly the way that's implied here.

Again, who was YOUR choice?  Did you ever tell us which of them you wanted?    If not, why not?For me it was McCarthy.  But I'm fine with the gase choice now. 

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

How many head coaches has Chris Johnson hired, that we have to judge?

He's just doing his debatresman thing.  cherrypick a single thing he thinks is weak in your argument and point the focus exclusively to that and disregard anything else.   Always the same.  And tiring as well.

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

irrelevant as to whether Gase was the best choice of the lot.  Stay on point.

Would have been nice if someone from the Jets could have conveyed why Gase was the best choice. We got a bunch of mumbles and some bizarre Wayne Gretzky quote.

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Mccarthy, Monken, KK, Gase were the only viable offensive minded candidates worth a damn.  KK has no experience.  Something about McCarthy rubbed them the wrong way and neither you nor I know what that is exactly, but Cleveland wasn't exactly enamored either.  Gase has HC experience.  Monken not.  It would have been many people's choice, not just Chris Johnson.  CJ did not make this choice easily or flippantly the way that's implied here.

I assume Chris Johnson doesn’t make the decision about what to have for breakfast essily or flippantly either, simply because it takes all of his cognitive energy to do so.

I wasn’t really stumping for any of the other guys, and while Gase is an underwhelming hire, I don’t think he’s a bad coach. But Johnson and Maccagnan are so dumb, and the power structure of the team is so ****ed, that I think it’s going to be very tough for anyone save a bigfoot CEO type like McCarthy to be successful here. All we can hope for is that Darnold is so good that it doesn’t matter.

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

He's just doing his debatresman thing.  cherrypick a single thing he thinks is weak in your argument and point the focus exclusively to that and disregard anything else.   Always the same.  And tiring as well.

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

irrelevant as to whether Gase was the best choice of the lot.  Stay on point.

For someone who finds me so tiring, you sure spend a lot of time following me around.

43 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Thats how he racked up all those wins

Meh, it more interesting because he was basically saying Tannenhill blows which is corroborated by reports they are moving on from him.

Its exceedingly difficult to win consistently in this league with a bad QB as you well know. Not going to kill the guy just because hes like the vast majority of the rest of the guys.

Just be happy McGack didnt get his wish and we're sitting here with Rhule, a hand picked Mac staff loyal to Mac with 2 -3 years of built in learning curve excuses.

If/when this goes south Gase is going to be vocal about Macs performance. I find that preferable to the realistic alternatives once CJ decided to retain 

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Would have been nice if someone from the Jets could have conveyed why Gase was the best choice. We got a bunch of mumbles and some bizarre Wayne Gretzky quote.

Yes it would have. And, it still would have been picked apart to pieces by the masses. And I understand that.

And the end of the day, the selection will be based on W-L and the success the team ahas under him, as it should be. 

16 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

true.  Not one of the better pressers in Jets history...  but there can never be one worse than the Idzik presser.  

16 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I assume Chris Johnson doesn’t make the decision about what to have for breakfast essily or flippantly either, simply because it takes all of his cognitive energy to do so.

I wasn’t really stumping for any of the other guys, and while Gase is an underwhelming hire, I don’t think he’s a bad coach. But Johnson and Maccagnan are so dumb, and the power structure of the team is so ****ed, that I think it’s going to be very tough for anyone save a bigfoot CEO type like McCarthy to be successful here. All we can hope for is that Darnold is so good that it doesn’t matter.

No disagreement there.  We, as fans, have to hope they win in spite of terrible management.  If Gase is seen as the one who will provide the best training for Darnold of the lot, then I'll stand by it.

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Maybe it’s just me, but I kinda dig the approach by Chris Johnson and Gase here, basically giving everyone the finger and staying focused on the business end. This is not how the Jets usually do business. 

I agree. I said from the beginning that if they hired Gase it proved Chris Johnson was calling the shots because hiring someone so universally unpopular among the fanbase was something Woody would never do.

Archived