Dave DeGuglielmo- Colts OLine Coach fired

JoJoTownsell1

35 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Bad Fit.  A football gypsy with a lot to say.  Too much to say.  Patriots year one, 18th in the league.  Patriots year two, 30th in the league. Year here and there everywhere else. Likes to take shots at most everyone.  We need/can do better.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Are you talking about DeGuglielmo or Gregg Williams?

1 hour ago, jpoppy717 said:

Did a good job this year.  But acted like a buffoon when he was here previously, telling everyone that Wayne Hunter was good, and taking shots as Bill Callahan, who actually did some really good coaching here.

https://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/05/jets_offensive_line_coach_dave.html

https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/jets-dave-deguglielmo-says-he-s-following-orders-by-using-vlad-ducasse-1.4277370

I see nothing wrong with these articles. 

It is clear that the Jets FO was telling who to play and that the folks that FO were pushing were INCOMPETENT!!!!

4 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

It'd be hard to argue the point with you because in your "world", the Offensive Line Coach is just as important as the Defensive COORDINATOR, isn't it ?  

Is the guy responsible for making sure offensive line does what it is supposed to do and keeps Sam Darnold healthy an important member of the coaching staff? Um, yeah. Do you understand the importance of the offensive line? Not likely. 

9 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Is the guy responsible for making sure offensive line does what it is supposed to do and keeps Sam Darnold healthy an important member of the coaching staff? Um, yeah. Do you understand the importance of the offensive line? Not likely. 

If you read any of my posts you'd know how much I value the Offensive Line .That is not the issue.  You made the correlation between Williams and Googie, not me.  If you asked me if the Offensive Line Coach is as important as the Defensive Coordinator, I'd tell you no.  Just as would any sane football observer.  You seem to have a  propensity to fit the "facts" to always fit YOUR narrative.  Such as is the case here.  First you say that Reich jettisoned him simply because he "wasn't his guy".  Do you really think that's all there was to it?  After all of the successes this year that you so successfully cited?  How naïve. You suggest that we should scoop him up.  Then in a later post you digress, "We could do worse", you acknowledged.  Then you intimate that anyone who says that he is a bad fit doesn't know what they're talking about. I agree with you most of the time, but when I don't I could do without the aspersions and innuendos that you constantly put in your replies and comments.  You did not invent football, Mr Francesa.  Get over it.

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

Why did he get fired? They had a good oline. Is he that much of an a$$hole? 

Their O line was one of the strong points of their season. Drafting Nelson and the RT forget his hame) with our picks turned out really well for them.  I would imagine he was the architect of that. I bet it was personality issues of some sort. He did a good job from the outside looking in. 

39 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Their O line was one of the strong points of their season. Drafting Nelson and the RT forget his hame) with our picks turned out really well for them.  I would imagine he was the architect of that. I bet it was personality issues of some sort. He did a good job from the outside looking in. 

That’s what worries me.  I’m not sure how well him and Randall McMurphy would get along  

12 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

That’s what worries me.  I’m not sure how well him and Randall McMurphy would get along  

Right. This will go back to what Gase said in the press conference about being patient with the staff you want. I do like that mindset overall, while not dilly dallying on guys that are coveted. I don't know who else is available or the OL coach at the moment. I did really like the Colts OL improvement this season. They did a fantastic job. I thought they would have done better against the Chiefs though. Maybe that performance had something to do with the firing. They had a rough day compared to the season they had. 

And Denzelle Good wasn’t playing for the fans Monday night. The right guard was bulldozing Broncos players, lowering the two large chips on his shoulder — one for his late brother and one for how the Colts, his former team, treated him.

“I had a lot of anger already and that didn’t help it, so I knew a fresh start was what I really needed,” Good said before practice Thursday. “And I am using that anger against the guys I am blocking.”

Good’s brother, Overton Deshan Good, was killed in a drive-by shooting in South Carolina on Oct. 2. Good left the team to be with his family there and returned to Indianapolis a week later. He had started the game before he left but never played another down for the Colts after he returned.

Good said that offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo was upset that he had left the team and that in a meeting in his office a month ago DeGuglielmo told Good he was “a failure.”

“I came back after my brother was murdered and I was dealing with a lot of personal issues,” Good said. “That didn’t sit well with (DeGuglielmo). He wanted players that fight through things and play.”

Good was in a funk when he got back — “it was hard to just get back to my normal self when my brother was just murdered” — and DeGuglielmo got more and more upset with the guard. And then it all came out in the meeting.

“He told me that as long as I was there, I would never play for him again,” Good said. “I would never play another down because he felt disrespected. I wasn’t going to play even though I felt I was as good as anyone on the field playing.”

So Good immediately went to general manager Chris Ballard and asked for his release; Ballard granted his wish on Dec. 1.

https://theathletic.com/736966/2018/12/27/new-guard-denzelle-good-is-channeling-his-anger-and-getting-a-chance-with-the-raiders/

4 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Wasn't Frank Reich's kind of Coach.  Not my kind of coach either.

20 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

And Denzelle Good wasn’t playing for the fans Monday night. The right guard was bulldozing Broncos players, lowering the two large chips on his shoulder — one for his late brother and one for how the Colts, his former team, treated him.

“I had a lot of anger already and that didn’t help it, so I knew a fresh start was what I really needed,” Good said before practice Thursday. “And I am using that anger against the guys I am blocking.”

Good’s brother, Overton Deshan Good, was killed in a drive-by shooting in South Carolina on Oct. 2. Good left the team to be with his family there and returned to Indianapolis a week later. He had started the game before he left but never played another down for the Colts after he returned.

Good said that offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo was upset that he had left the team and that in a meeting in his office a month ago DeGuglielmo told Good he was “a failure.”

“I came back after my brother was murdered and I was dealing with a lot of personal issues,” Good said. “That didn’t sit well with (DeGuglielmo). He wanted players that fight through things and play.”

Good was in a funk when he got back — “it was hard to just get back to my normal self when my brother was just murdered” — and DeGuglielmo got more and more upset with the guard. And then it all came out in the meeting.

“He told me that as long as I was there, I would never play for him again,” Good said. “I would never play another down because he felt disrespected. I wasn’t going to play even though I felt I was as good as anyone on the field playing.”

So Good immediately went to general manager Chris Ballard and asked for his release; Ballard granted his wish on De

I don't know the story about him with Denzelle Good, but I do know that he was a mediocre replacement for Scar in NE.  He also had no idea how to fix the center tipping the snap all game against Denver which probably alone may have cost the Pats another shot at a Super Bowl.

18 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

The Colts have a good offensive line because they just added the 6th and 37th picks in the draft to a line that already had two first rounders. It isn't brain surgery. You can get what you want if you pay for it.

That great line got chewed up by a KC defense that has been giving it away all year, though

18 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Yep

And then he did such an awesome job with the Pats that they got rid of his ass and brought Dante Scarnecchia out of retirement.

No way I want this guy.

Now if Bill Callahan was available, that’s a different conversation.

Callaan was a great O line guy,  But does he coach zone blocking?  Gase apparently prefers that

21 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Frank Reich just decided to fire the guy that helped rebuild the Colts offensive line. Maybe he was gifted with great talent, or maybe he is a really good Oline coach. Everyone is obsessed with Gregg Williams, but securing a great Oline coach could be just as important. 

Former Pats coach that Mcdaniels had hired him (which is why Reich wants him gone).  

Yea, we should pounce. Unless it was one of those firings that happens right before the “killed his neighbor” headline.

Ex-Pats anything is possible.

20 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

The Colts have a good offensive line because they just added the 6th and 37th picks in the draft to a line that already had two first rounders. It isn't brain surgery. You can get what you want if you pay for it.

Sounds more like a strip club. 

7 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

There's multiple Jets players who loved Bowles.  It ultimately means very, very little.

Only difference Nelson’s comments have results that back them up. In no way trying to defend Guage but not all players are treated the same by their coaches and have different relationships Nelson had a good one, which was fortunate for him.

10 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

That was a pretty sweet position coaching the Indy line with Nelson! I had forgotten this dude but if he was behind the Wayne Hunter experience I am not too excited about this idea...

Archived