It came down to money for McCarthy

Jet_Engine1

Heard 3 times today from 2 different sources (Sirius NFL radio, ESPN radio) that Mike McCarthy wanted to be paid at least what he was paid by GB ($8M per) and the Jets didn't want to pay their HC that much. The "coordinators" thing was a smokescreen, and McCarthy simply said "It didn't work out". Take it for what its worth from Ryan Clark, Steven A-hole Smith, and some talk guy on Sirius NFL.

LOL. I hope Gase winds up being the best hire since Parcells and that they got forced into the best decision even though it was for the wrong reasons. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Heard 3 times today from 2 different sources (Sirius NFL radio, ESPN radio) that Mike McCarthy wanted to be paid at least what he was paid by GB ($8M per) and the Jets didn't want to pay their HC that much. The "coordinators" thing was a smokescreen, and McCarthy simply said "It didn't work out". Take it for what its worth from Ryan Clark, Steven A-hole Smith, and some talk guy on Sirius NFL.

LOL. I hope Gase winds up being the best hire since Parcells and that they got forced into the best decision even though it was for the wrong reasons. 

Who are these sources, other than talking heads on the radio that get paid to drive fans crazy by turning speculation into facts? 

5 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

WHEW!!! Thought this post was about Gregg Williams!

4 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Me too. 

Just now, sackdancer said:

Same here ! I hope they dont fuk this up

Me as well, hence the edit. 

How does anyone know this?  Sounds like a nice guess.  As soon as they agreed to interview McCarrhy they knew what he would cost to sign.  They weren't surpised at his price tag.  And after all the billions they've spent on the team, facilities etc, the millions on players, they're going to chince out on a couple of million for a HC they wanted?  No way does this make sense.  It's another move backwards logic

Or worse, an agent protecting his client. 

Last week it was as over staff, this week money.  Cover that fast ass

16 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I always said that the Johnsons were too cheap to pay for a proven coach. I sensed that it was about money. I get the sense that winning is an expense that the Johnsons just don't want. 

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

How does anyone know this?  Sounds like a nice guess.  As soon as they agreed to interview McCarrhy they knew what he would cost to sign.  They weren't surpised at his price tag.  And after all the billions they've spent on the team, facilities etc, the millions on players, they're going to chince out on a couple of million for a HC they wanted?  No way does this make sense.  It's another move backwards logic

Or worse, an agent protecting his client. 

Last week it was as over staff, this week money.  Cover that fast ass

?

26 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

That's false.

It was his coaching staff. 

I don't buy this for a second. I don't think the Jets ever offered him the job, much less made him a low ball offer. My feeling is McCarthy was desperate for the job, hence his agents desperation late night "the Jets job is the only one I'm interested or pursuing" tweet. Spin is spin, and that's all this is. McCarthy was never seriously considered for this job, never even got an interview for the Browns job, despite the many Packer connections he has there. The more he allows his people to spin this, the less I even believe there was any truth to him turning down that Arizona "offer." Go away Mike.

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I don't buy this for a second. I don't think the Jets ever offered him the job, much less made him a low ball offer. My feeling is McCarthy was desperate for the job, hence his agents desperation late night "the Jets job is the only one I'm interested or pursuing" tweet. Spin is spin, and that's all this is. McCarthy was never seriously considered for this job, never even got an interview for the Browns job, despite the many Packer connections he has there. The more he allows his people to spin this, the less I even believe there was any truth to him turning down that Arizona "offer." Go away Mike.

He’s getting paid to sit on his ass this year. 

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

He’s getting paid to sit on his ass this year. 

No doubt. But guys like him don't think like that, hence he put himself out there to coach this year. He thought he'd be anointed to whatever job he wanted, and that didn't happen. You and I would probably never work another day if we had the money he has coming in, but he's got so much already its all about his ego sat this point, and loving what he does. His agent (and him) both know it does him no good to sit out this season. He slips further out of team's minds, and then a whole new batch of newer, fresher names enter the job pool next year.

28 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I don’t buy it at all.

I won’t deny that the Johnson’s are incompetent, but you’d have to have rocks in your skull to bring in McCarthy for an interview and not expect to pay him at least $8 million a year to be your coach.

True. 

If, and I mean, if by any chance this is true.... this was my fear that we wouldn't sign him for money reasons. You can't put a price on winning. Unfortunately it doesn't really matter anymore anyway.

Hey Mike, you know... Todd was only going to make $4 Million. We feel like a fair place to start the negotiation is at $5 Million. --- McCarthy stands up, finishes his drink and walks out...

Archived