It came down to money for McCarthy

Jet_Engine1

57 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Who are these sources, other than talking heads on the radio that get paid to drive fans crazy by turning speculation into facts? 

Take it for what its worth from Ryan Clark, Steven A-hole Smith, and some talk guy on Sirius NFL

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

How does anyone know this?  Sounds like a nice guess.  As soon as they agreed to interview McCarrhy they knew what he would cost to sign.  They weren't surpised at his price tag.  And after all the billions they've spent on the team, facilities etc, the millions on players, they're going to chince out on a couple of million for a HC they wanted?  No way does this make sense.  It's another move backwards logic

Or worse, an agent protecting his client. 

Last week it was as over staff, this week money.  Cover that fast ass

Take it for what its worth from Ryan Clark, Steven A-hole Smith, and some talk guy on Sirius NFL

1 hour ago, DonCorleone said:

I always said that the Johnsons were too cheap to pay for a proven coach. I sensed that it was about money. I get the sense that winning is an expense that the Johnsons just don't want. 

This is an owner who played an entire season with no D backs while being 20mill under the cap and pocketing the money,  the next year he was forced to up the cap spending so they brought in a used up Revis.

It was the owner who forced Tebow onto the team to try to gin up more merchandising dollars. The NY Mets chiseling owners copied the same page.  Jets and Mets are businesses hands down first with winning coming a far distant second.

Anybody who thinks differently is being conned, and by BAD con artists I might add.  The best con artists are highly intelligent in that their mark doesn’t even know they’re being taken until it’s all over.  But that’s not the case with the Johnson grandsons and little Wilpon.

Hey just be ecstatic that the Jets lucked into Darnold, because if they didn’t you’re looking at another 50 years of no Super Bowl with these SAME owners.  Darnold has a chance to become so great....it won’t matter who the coaches are, who the owner is.

1 minute ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

This is an owner who played an entire season with no D backs while being 20mill under the cap and pocketing the money,  the next year he was forced to up the cap spending so they brought in a used up Revis.

It was the owner who forced Tebow onto the team to try to gin up more merchandising dollars. The NY Mets chiseling owners copied the same page.  Jets and Mets are businesses hands down first with winning coming a far distant second.

Anybody who thinks differently is being conned, and by BAD con artists I might add.  The best con artists are highly intelligent in that their mark doesn’t even know they’re being taken until it’s all over.  But that’s not the case with the Johnson grandsons and little Wilpon.

Hey just be ecstatic that the Jets lucked into Darnold, because if they didn’t you’re looking at another 50 years of no Super Bowl with these SAME owners.  Darnold has a chance to become so great....it won’t matter who the coaches are, who the owner is.

You don’t pocket salary cap money but let’s not let things that are true stop you from doing your thing. 

1 hour ago, Larz said:

The way this is going, by the end of the week we'll find out he turned down the commissioners job and needed a wanker reduction surgery because of the back pain from carrying that thing around lol

Man, the recovery from that surgery was a tough few weeks but in the long run, it was the right call.

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Heard 3 times today from 2 different sources (Sirius NFL radio, ESPN radio) that Mike McCarthy wanted to be paid at least what he was paid by GB ($8M per) and the Jets didn't want to pay their HC that much. The "coordinators" thing was a smokescreen, and McCarthy simply said "It didn't work out". Take it for what its worth from Ryan Clark, Steven A-hole Smith, and some talk guy on Sirius NFL.

LOL. I hope Gase winds up being the best hire since Parcells and that they got forced into the best decision even though it was for the wrong reasons. 

Never liked McCarthy anyway. If that's what it came down to then i have no problem moving forward with Gase. 

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

How does anyone know this?  Sounds like a nice guess.  As soon as they agreed to interview McCarrhy they knew what he would cost to sign.  They weren't surpised at his price tag.  And after all the billions they've spent on the team, facilities etc, the millions on players, they're going to chince out on a couple of million for a HC they wanted?  No way does this make sense.  It's another move backwards logic

Or worse, an agent protecting his client. 

Last week it was as over staff, this week money.  Cover that fast ass

Yup... waaaaay too many excuses being flung around, all probably save-face attempts by his agent.  I don't think they trusted McCarthy with Darnold. My speculation is every bit as valid as the compensation speculation or the coaching staff speculation. In the end, does it matter?  He was rejected by the Jets. He was rejected by the Browns. Speaks volumes.

Yup... waaaaay too many excuses being flung around, all probably save-face attempts by his agent.  I don't think they trusted McCarthy with Darnold. My speculation is every bit as valid as the compensation speculation or the coaching staff speculation. In the end, does it matter?  He was rejected by the Jets. He was rejected by the Browns. Speaks volumes.

Why would they possibly not trust McCarthy with Darnold?

He had Rodgers as a rookie.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

This is pretty ugly too. If any of this is true. Basically Gase was their third choice but money and control got in the way.

Just very sad.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Wait. So McCarthy was the first choice?

But the Jets got cheap and went with a proven losing HC who just fired from the Dolphins for failing.

Yay Jets!

So one report says it's the alleged "power struggle" between him McCarthy and Maccagnan, another says it's the difference in opinion on whom he should hire for his assistants, and now another says he was dissed over money and finally the guys on Sirius say it's because theJets felt that Gase would be better at developing Sam than McCarthy would have been.   OK.  So you've selected door #3, they couldn't agree on compensation.  I have selected box #4 that the Jets were convinced that Gase is better for Sam.  

Neither you, nor I know for sure and it doesn't even matter any more.  Move foward brother Jets fan, move forward.  Let's hope this leads to many celebrations in the years to come!  

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

If this is even REMOTELY TRUE than it is a DISGRACE of the highest order!!!!!!

So I choose to say that this is nonsense!! :) 

2 hours ago, Reynolds1029 said:

It was never about money. Literal fake news. If it was about money, McCarthy would have had to command Gruden money for it to be a problem. 

Just another of many excuses being floated by McCarthy's agent as to why he isn't the Jets' HC.  It's save-face propaganda at best and quite obvious.  So the list of reasons (all floated on separate days):  Roster control/power struggle with Maccagnan, disagreement on assistants, compensation wasn't high enough, and finally, Jets thought Gase would be better with Darnold.  I vote #4.  

And guess what......  none of us will ever know the truth.

1 hour ago, Spoot-Face said:

Of course you don't.

Why should he?  It's just one of many unsupported speculative excuses as to why he's not the Jets HC.  Not one shred of credible evidence. There are a variety of reasons/excuses coming out about why the Jets rejected McCarthy...  this is just one of them and I have a feeling it is B.S.  on the part of McCarthy's agent.

21 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Why would they possibly not trust McCarthy with Darnold?

He had Rodgers as a rookie.

And that was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

His offense hasn't changed much and he's inflexible.  Maybe he was different when Rodgers was a pup.  But it's conceivable that after 13 years there he became inflexible and stubborn to the point where it was destructive to the offense.  It got to the point where Rodgers was rolling his eyes in the huddle and discarding McCarthy's plays and rolling with his own.  So says one of the GB offensive players who was in said huddle.  The belief is that Rodgers was behind the jettison of McCarthy.  Yup... real support from the guy he developed.  

22 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is pretty ugly too. If any of this is true. Basically Gase was their third choice but money and control got in the way.

Just very sad.

Not sad at all.  Looks like Gase was Johnson's first choice to me.  Fact: Rhule never got an offer  Fact: KK, Monken and the others didn't either.  Nobody knows if McCarthy got an offer.  If he did, it wasn't on the table very long, was it?  They felt Gase is Sam Darnold's best situation and I'll stand with that until anyone proves otherwise and until it fails on the field.

42 minutes ago, Dcat said:

And that was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

His offense hasn't changed much and he's inflexible.  Maybe he was different when Rodgers was a pup.  But it's conceivable that after 13 years there he became inflexible and stubborn to the point where it was destructive to the offense.  It got to the point where Rodgers was rolling his eyes in the huddle and discarding McCarthy's plays and rolling with his own.  So says one of the GB offensive players who was in said huddle.  The belief is that Rodgers was behind the jettison of McCarthy.  Yup... real support from the guy he developed.  

And don't forget Rodgers sat behind Favre , so in his first two years him and McCarthy probably didn't work tons together. I'd give more accolades to his position coaches in that scenario.

52 minutes ago, Dcat said:

there are many different narratives.  We each choose the one we like best.  And nobody will ever know the truth.

Yesterday's introduction looked bad, sloppy, and rushed. You cant blame people for reading between some of the lines a bit.

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Yesterday's introduction looked bad, sloppy, and rushed. You cant blame people for reading between some of the lines a bit.

Agreed, but there is a fine line between reading between the lines and outright being gullible.

4 hours ago, kdels62 said:

You don’t pocket salary cap money but let’s not let things that are true stop you from doing your thing. 

If that is the case then I’m mistaken.

But they’re ALWAYS significantly under the cap.  So when you let yourself be as far as 100 mill under the cap, the owner gets to invest that money.

Why don’t they ever spend money on real coaches?  There is no cap on that, but they never do.  This is the first guy with HC experience since Parcells 20 years ago.  Hess would hire mostly garbage too.

If that is the case then I’m mistaken.
But they’re ALWAYS significantly under the cap.  So when you let yourself be as far as 100 mill under the cap, the owner gets to invest that money.
Why don’t they ever spend money on real coaches?  There is no cap on that, but they never do.  This is the first guy with HC experience since Parcells 20 years ago.  Hess would hire mostly garbage too.

The last 2 coaches they hired were of the most wanted that year. Like seriously the top candidates....this isnt true

Sent from the Suicide Watch desk.

Archived