PFF Mock Draft- Top 10

JoJoTownsell1

Now I know some here hate PFF, but they are very well respected around the league. The reason this mock is important is because it shows Murray going in the top 10, along with Haskins which means the teams that need QBS will likely want to trade up to get them. That significantly increases our chances of landing Bosa at 3 or being able to trade back and still get a top 4-5 player at the #7 spot. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Now I know some here hate PFF, but they are very well respected around the league. The reason this mock is important is because it shows Murray going in the top 10, along with Haskins which means the teams that need QBS will likely want to trade up to get them. That significantly increases our chances of landing Bosa at 3 or being able to trade back and still get a top 4-5 player at the #7 spot. 

Sounds like the Cardinals are rolling with Rosen, in which case I can't see Bosa falling to 2, let alone 3.

18 minutes ago, SR24 said:

While I agree Oline should be a top priority, Josh Allen should be the guy if he's available at #3. Dudes a freak. I'd go Allen at #3 and then Oline 2nd and maybe even 3rd round 

If Williams is named the DC then Allen would not fit in his system... Williams runs a 4-3... Allen is a 3-4 LB.

22 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Jonah Williams is going to have to test through the roof to be worth that pick. cause he doesn't really have that sort of top 5 All pro LT film

No way we take a RT at 3, even with that dummy Macc running the draft. if you want Williams you trade back.

47 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Jonah Williams is going to have to test through the roof to be worth that pick. cause he doesn't really have that sort of top 5 All pro LT film

He's a Bama boy but I have to agree. Love to see us trade down to say #7 and then take Williams.

15 minutes ago, zonajetfan said:

If the QB's test out really well...like they clearly would have given this mock, there is no way teams like the Giants, Jags, Broncos and maybe Bengals wait. They will look to move up, hopefully the Jets can find a willing partner to trade back.

ABSOLUTELY !!  

Some very different names in the middle of that mock.  They really shuffled the deck which is a nice change from the 'me-too' mocks we usually see.  Dalton Risner isn't a name I've seen much that high as the 2nd LT off the board.  Some really popular names down in the 15-25 range like Polite, AJ Brown and N'Keal Harry.  Makes me think that there could be some really good talent that would help us if we traded down a little further (i.e. DEN at 10 or WAS at 15).  

34 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

I thought I heard, or read, that Denzel Ward at #4 was due to Gregg.  We might see a similar direction if OL can be shored up in free agency. 

He was named to the All-Pro Rookie team... if we could be so lucky.

50 minutes ago, bitonti said:

With LT drafted in the top 3-5, it always seems like those guys solidified that sort of draft grade years in advance. Brick and Long...etc. How often does a guy like Williams, with as much film as there is on him, jump up a billion spots based on combine stuff? Doesn't seem like it happens much.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Now I know some here hate PFF, but they are very well respected around the league. The reason this mock is important is because it shows Murray going in the top 10, along with Haskins which means the teams that need QBS will likely want to trade up to get them. That significantly increases our chances of landing Bosa at 3 or being able to trade back and still get a top 4-5 player at the #7 spot..

Some of This Draft's Finest

Foy your review! Not 1 QB or offensive player.....

Oooouch!! What a year to be picking #3 trying to get Sammy WEAPONZZZZ!

1 hour ago, SR24 said:

While I agree Oline should be a top priority, Josh Allen should be the guy if he's available at #3. Dudes a freak. I'd go Allen at #3 and then Oline 2nd and maybe even 3rd round 

we don't ave a 2nd so that makes me nervous to wait until the 3rd to address OL. It's the number one need on this team at the moment IMO. 

Boy, I'm hoping for a nice trade back to recoup the 2nd and get an extra first next year. 

55 minutes ago, bitonti said:

You're someone I actually look to every year for draft stock stuff.  I respect your opinion in such areas. Serious question. I mentioned this elsewhere, but I'd like to know why, if a guy like Jonah Williams is ok to draft at say 6-10, is it not ok to draft at 3? If that's the only pic you have in the first rd that is. Why would the value aspect outweigh the need?  Especially when you think about the fact that we don't have a 2nd and would hav to weight until the 3rd to address this glaring weakness. 

I listen to the value stuff every year and I really disagree with the mindset. 

thoughts? 

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

You're someone I actually look to every year for draft stock stuff.  I respect your opinion in such areas. Serious question. I mentioned this elsewhere, but I'd like to know why, if a guy like Jonah Williams is ok to draft at say 6-10, is it not ok to draft at 3? If that's the only pic you have in the first rd that is. Why would the value aspect outweigh the need?  Especially when you think about the fact that we don't have a 2nd and would hav to weight until the 3rd to address this glaring weakness. 

thoughts? 

If he turns into a perennial all-pro, it doesn't matter where you picked him.  But like investing, you try to maximize your return on assets.  If you habitually overdraft players, you are going to end up with less value over the long term than if you go BPA.  If you feel that you can get the same player a few picks later (or a roughly equivalent player at the same position) then it is prudent to trade down if you can.  So if you don't see much dropoff between Jonah Williams and the next OT on the board, and fell confident that at least one, if not both, of them will be available at 7 or 10, then taking him at 3 is kind of like throwing away value.  

The draft is not an exact science though.  I thought CLE was crazy taking Ward at 4 last year (especially over B Chubb).  Turns out he was a great pick.

6 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

thoughts? 

1) b/c of all the draft analysts and grades, gms are afraid of not maximizing value of 1st round draft slots

2) it's more difficult to gauge the ROI of an OL than it is for most other positions

26 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

we don't ave a 2nd so that makes me nervous to wait until the 3rd to address OL. It's the number one need on this team at the moment IMO. 

Boy, I'm hoping for a nice trade back to recoup the 2nd and get an extra first next year. 

Wow I completely forgot we traded the 2nd rounder lol 

A. We must rebuild this horrible O-line and protect Darnold.

B. We must provide Darnold with offensive skill position weapons.

Everything else, including "pass rush" is secondary.

If we can fix A. and B. above in free Agency, fine, draft the usual Macc/BAP I suppose.

If we have even a single hole in the O-line come draft day, the pick must be the best O-lineman in the draft.

Trade down if you can/have to, but it must be O-line.  

At a stretch, maybe an O-skill player.

But no god damn way can it be ANOTHER "elite pass rush prospect".  Sorry D fans, you had your time, and it failed, failed, failed.

It's time to stop the insanity and try something new:  Offense.

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I’m not sold on any of the QBs being that good, but at least one seems to take a jump every year, so who knows.

It's been like two weeks since none of them besides Herbert was worth a first and he was going back to school anyway. Now CBS has Haskins, Murray, Jones, and Lock going top 12 and Herbert probably isn't a first rounder next year.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

If he turns into a perennial all-pro, it doesn't matter where you picked him.  But like investing, you try to maximize your return on assets.  If you habitually overdraft players, you are going to end up with less value over the long term than if you go BPA.  If you feel that you can get the same player a few picks later (or a roughly equivalent player at the same position) then it is prudent to trade down if you can.  So if you don't see much dropoff between Jonah Williams and the next OT on the board, and fell confident that at least one, if not both, of them will be available at 7 or 10, then taking him at 3 is kind of like throwing away value.  

The draft is not an exact science though.  I thought CLE was crazy taking Ward at 4 last year (especially over B Chubb).  Turns out he was a great pick.

Right. I can see all of that.  I think my question is if for whatever reason we simply cannot trade back to get as much value as we can for the pick itself. If we are left standing at the podium with no trading partner, I catch the vibe that "reaching" for a guy believed to worthy of a 6-10 pick would be bad thing to do. And taking the OL over the blue chip DT a big mistake. I struggle to see it. 

I know that it can go all over the place and that this is never in stone, but I'm thinking more about the logic of BPA over need when the need is glaring and the players are relatively close. Of course, the desired outcome would be to trade back and gain currency in the draft itself or maybe even a player, but if that can't happen, I would hate to see the Jets nab a DT purely based on the value being more than the OL guy. 

16 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Right. I can see all of that.  I think my question is if for whatever reason we simply cannot trade back to get as much value as we can for the pick itself. If we are left standing at the podium with no trading partner, I catch the vibe that "reaching" for a guy believed to worthy of a 6-10 pick would be bad thing to do. And taking the OL over the blue chip DT a big mistake. I struggle to see it. 

I know that it can go all over the place and that this is never in stone, but I'm thinking more about the logic of BPA over need when the need is glaring and the players are relatively close. Of course, the desired outcome would be to trade back and gain currency in the draft itself or maybe even a player, but if that can't happen, I would hate to see the Jets nab a DT purely based on the value being more than the OL guy. 

I get it and you're not at all wrong to question it IMO.  But I think you answered your own question when you said "if the players are relatively close".  You don't take Jonah Williams over Nick Bosa no matter what your roster looks like.  Sometimes there is a clear tier of top players and then 'everyone else'.  In this draft, it feels like Bosa, maybe Q Williams, and then everyone else - maybe.  So if those two are gone, and we can't trade back, it may not be so tragic to take J Williams instead of, say, Josh Allen just because most big boards have Allen ahead of J Williams. 

But in this more than most things, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The top 5 teams in the draft don’t don’t need QBs. I can see teams trading up to grabs a QB or two. Seems to happen ever so often. So I don’t think Bosa isn’t completely out the question for us. 

Question , how much better is Bosa than Allen? Dont follow college football much

1 hour ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

It's been like two weeks since none of them besides Herbert was worth a first and he was going back to school anyway. Now CBS has Haskins, Murray, Jones, and Lock going top 12 and Herbert probably isn't a first rounder next year.

Murray was a day 3 pick prior to this season, primarily due to concerns over his height (which was why the Athletics were happy enough to let him return to football for one more season because they figured he would prefer baseball over being a third day NFL draft pick). Winning the Heisman has seemingly put him in calculations to be in the top half of the first round. Amazing.

Archived