PFF Mock Draft- Top 10

JoJoTownsell1

While Jonah Williams is far from the sexy pick it's the correct pick.  Picking in the top 3 you have to draft a premier position.  In the Jets case it's hopefully between a pass rusher (Allen, Bosa, Ferrell) or a LT in Jonah Williams.  I'm hoping the need for pass rusher gets taken care of in FA.  I also hope one of Paradis or Morse is a Jet next season because that'll open up the options with the 3rd round picks.  There should be a good receiver that slips into the 3rd round.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

I’m not sold on any of the QBs being that good, but at least one seems to take a jump every year, so who knows.

Totally agree.  No one jumps off the page but we all know someone will be desperate and over draft.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

A. We must rebuild this horrible O-line and protect Darnold.

B. We must provide Darnold with offensive skill position weapons.

Everything else, including "pass rush" is secondary.

If we can fix A. and B. above in free Agency, fine, draft the usual Macc/BAP I suppose.

If we have even a single hole in the O-line come draft day, the pick must be the best O-lineman in the draft.

Trade down if you can/have to, but it must be O-line.  

At a stretch, maybe an O-skill player.

But no god damn way can it be ANOTHER "elite pass rush prospect".  Sorry D fans, you had your time, and it failed, failed, failed.

It's time to stop the insanity and try something new:  Offense.

i agree the emphasis must be on offense but i can also see lots of value in trading back about 10 spots and grabbing a CB or LB or WR and then using the next picks for oline.  the way these mocks are breaking it looks like there's going to be some good trade back opportunities.  and then, of course, mac has to make good picks.

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Totally agree.  No one jumps off the page but we all know someone will be desperate and over draft.

You got me thinking about how often no QB goes top-10.  Here's what I came up with from a quick glance:

2013 - EJ Manuel 16th pick

2000 - Chad Pennington 18th pick

1997 - Jim Druckenmiller 26th pick

1996 - Tony Banks 42nd pick (!)

1991 - Dan McGwire 16th pick

Over the past 10 years, I'll list the position of the 1st QB taken:  1, 1, 1, 1, 16, 3, 1, 1, 2, 1.  In 4 cases there were 2 taken in the top 3 positions.  So history is on the side of QBs going early and often.  The top guys in this draft are definitely better than EJ Manuel.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

You got me thinking about how often no QB goes top-10.  Here's what I came up with from a quick glance:

2013 - EJ Manuel 16th pick

2000 - Chad Pennington 18th pick

1997 - Jim Druckenmiller 26th pick

1996 - Tony Banks 42nd pick (!)

1991 - Dan McGwire 16th pick

Over the past 10 years, I'll list the position of the 1st QB taken:  1, 1, 1, 1, 16, 3, 1, 1, 2, 1.  In 4 cases there were 2 taken in the top 3 positions.  So history is on the side of QBs going early and often.  The top guys in this draft are definitely better than EJ Manuel.

Wow, really jumps out at you when listed like this!

i pick Josh Allen regardless of the defensive system  or coach. Allen is the closest thing to LT ive seen. and coming out of north Carolina he was seen as undersized too Allen can play multiple positions and be a force at any of themhe can Rush the Passer and handle the run and be effective in space.

if we pass on this kid we will regret it for years

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

I get it and you're not at all wrong to question it IMO.  But I think you answered your own question when you said "if the players are relatively close".  You don't take Jonah Williams over Nick Bosa no matter what your roster looks like.  Sometimes there is a clear tier of top players and then 'everyone else'.  In this draft, it feels like Bosa, maybe Q Williams, and then everyone else - maybe.  So if those two are gone, and we can't trade back, it may not be so tragic to take J Williams instead of, say, Josh Allen just because most big boards have Allen ahead of J Williams. 

But in this more than most things, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Gotcha. Makes sense. I it will be interesting to see how this plays out. I'm really liking the Boyer retention and Greg Williams hire(if real of course). This offseason may be shaping up to be a good one. I we can score Paradis and maybe too tall Brown for the OL in FA, maybe it opens things up in the draft to comfortably take BPA at 3. I'm really hoping for a trade back to the 6-15 range to score that 2nd rdr and more. 

5 hours ago, SR24 said:

While I agree Oline should be a top priority, Josh Allen should be the guy if he's available at #3. Dudes a freak. I'd go Allen at #3 and then Oline 2nd and maybe even 3rd round 

OL is dramatically more important to this team than edge. Not remotely close. Let Williams coach, protect the only player that matters, Sam

5 hours ago, jetsons said:

If Williams is named the DC then Allen would not fit in his system... Williams runs a 4-3... Allen is a 3-4 LB.

Terrell Suggs is a hall of fame who played in a "3-4" at 6'3 260 for his entire career, even though he probably dropped into coverage less than 3% of the entire sum of his career defensive snaps.

Chandler Jones has had double digit sacks for the past 4 years at 6'5 265 and is absolutely not a "traditional 3-4 OLB in any way"

Josh Allen is 6'5 260 as a senior in college.  He can easily play his entire career at 6'5 265-270 and absolutely can fill a hybrid role as a DE/OLB with his hand on the ground 90% of the time, in any defensive alignment. 

When you pick in the top 3 you need to find an impact player at LT, QB or Edge - and Josh Allen is the only player that fits the bill in this draft and in no way do you pass on him because he isn't "heavy" enough compared to guys who played defensive end in the league 10 years ago.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Wow, really jumps out at you when listed like this!

Yeah.  In the end, it may mean nothing, but this is pretty much why I'm optimistic that we have a real shot to trade down or, unlikely but possibly, land Bosa.  Very strong trend towards QBs going in top-3 spots and almost half the time recently, 2 in the top 3 spots.

But no god damn way can it be ANOTHER "elite pass rush prospect". 

You act like we try to draft pass rushers all the time. The last pass rusher we took in the 1st was 11 years ago.

I’m down with trading down, but this idea that a pass rusher is 1) not a desperate need for the franchise, and/or 2) something we’ve tried to fix is a complete falsehood.

Our inability to generate an organic pass rush has been a problem for over 15 years. And the best teams in the league, including several recent Super Bowl winners, do not have that problem.

**REMINDER: I’m fine with trading down**

An elite pass rusher would have a direct, positive impact on our championship chances in the near future. And you can’t generally find them in the mid-1st or later, OR in free agency.

6 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

He's a Bama boy but I have to agree. Love to see us trade down to say #7 and then take Williams.

Hate to say this P, but he doesn’t impress me as much as he impresses others. He got killed against Clemson. 

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You act like we try to draft pass rushers all the time. The last pass rusher we took in the 1st was 11 years ago.

Revised history, all the Defenders we drafted to pass rush weren't really pass rushers?

I’m down with trading down, but this idea that a pass rusher is 1) not a desperate need for the franchise, and/or 2) something we’ve tried to fix is a complete falsehood.

Let me be clear:  It's not a need, much less a "desperate" need.

Pass rush doesn't win sh*t.  Offense is everything in the modern NFL.

And we've been trying to fix it for ages, unless, of course, you live in revisionist history where the various Ghosts, Richardsons, Williams, and all the picks in between really weren't pass rushing D-linemen at all.....

Our inability to generate an organic pass rush has been a problem for over 15 years. And the best teams in the league, including several recent Super Bowl winners, do not have that problem.

How are those team's offenses, cause I'd wager they're all better than there "Pass rush" are.

It doesn't matter what any of us are down for, Macc will do what Macc will do.  We're all just hot air here, you know that my friend.

An elite pass rusher would have a direct, positive impact on our championship chances in the near future. And you can’t generally find them in the mid-1st or later, OR in free agency.

Don't care.  At all.  Not even a little bit.

Offense or GTFO (as the kids say these days).

In no universe were Leo or Richardson intended to be “edge rushers”.

So yes, I’ll reiterate. Gholston was the last attempt to get an elite EDGE. That was 11 years ago.

I’m tired of seeing the likes of Matt Barkley carve us up because they have all day to throw. Others should be as well.

8 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Now I know some here hate PFF, but they are very well respected around the league. The reason this mock is important is because it shows Murray going in the top 10, along with Haskins which means the teams that need QBS will likely want to trade up to get them. That significantly increases our chances of landing Bosa at 3 or being able to trade back and still get a top 4-5 player at the #7 spot. 

By the time the draft comes... Murray is going #1 overall

47 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In no universe were Leo or Richardson intended to be “edge rushers”.

So yes, I’ll reiterate. Gholston was the last attempt to get an elite EDGE. That was 11 years ago.

I’m tired of seeing the likes of Matt Barkley carve us up because they have all day to throw. Others should be as well.

100% correct, the truly elite athletic monster edge rushers are gold. jets have drafted what, four 5-tech DE’s in the first round since gholston? if they can draft a talent like allen and then sign one of the free agents like clark or ford they could go from one of the worst defenses to one of the best overnight. then they would have 6 more picks and 70M to invest in offense

8 hours ago, johnnysd said:

OL is dramatically more important to this team than edge. Not remotely close. Let Williams coach, protect the only player that matters, Sam

Not to mention as to what a handicap Darnold had this year with anyone being able to call ALL the Jet running plays from their couch with the Jet Oline being the worst run blocking unit in the NFL.  Bates sends in another TE, gee I wonder what will happen next?  And it still wouldn't matter, back couldn't even make 3 yards.

Too bad Darnold didn't run them over with his truck when they were having his tires removed for not getting them the kind of gifts they wanted.  Hope Gase cuts them all.

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That elite pass rusher is as big a roll of the dice as drafting a QB.  The Jets now HAVE a Franchise QB, no small feat for any team.

Do you know who the TOP 4 SCORING TEAMS IN THE NFL ARE this year?  I'll tell you...surprise...they are the last 4 teams remaining in the playoffs.

Oline, Oline and more Oline for Sammy.  Think about it, Jets couldn't even sell a play action pass this year.  You realize how many facets of the game will open up for the Jets once a quality Oline is built?  Can you imagine how much MORE deadly Darnold will be with more time and more ability to scan the field?  Can you imagine if he were to get 9 ADDITIONAL games per year where the snaps to him are clean haha?

Sack artist is a luxury.  Khalil Mack went home pretty quick didn't he?

Terrell Suggs is a hall of fame who played in a "3-4" at 6'3 260 for his entire career, even though he probably dropped into coverage less than 3% of the entire sum of his career defensive snaps.
Chandler Jones has had double digit sacks for the past 4 years at 6'5 265 and is absolutely not a "traditional 3-4 OLB in any way"
Josh Allen is 6'5 260 as a senior in college.  He can easily play his entire career at 6'5 265-270 and absolutely can fill a hybrid role as a DE/OLB with his hand on the ground 90% of the time, in any defensive alignment. 
When you pick in the top 3 you need to find an impact player at LT, QB or Edge - and Josh Allen is the only player that fits the bill in this draft and in no way do you pass on him because he isn't "heavy" enough compared to guys who played defensive end in the league 10 years ago.

If he’s that good then you trade back.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

That elite pass rusher is as big a roll of the dice as drafting a QB.  The Jets now HAVE a Franchise QB, no small feat for any team.
Do you know who the TOP 4 SCORING TEAMS IN THE NFL ARE this year?  I'll tell you...surprise...they are the last 4 teams remaining in the playoffs.
Oline, Oline and more Oline for Sammy.  Think about it, Jets couldn't even sell a play action pass this year.  You realize how many facets of the game will open up for the Jets once a quality Oline is built?  Can you imagine how much MORE deadly Darnold will be with more time and more ability to scan the field?  Can you imagine if he were to get 9 ADDITIONAL games per year where the snaps to him are clean haha?
Sack artist is a luxury.  Khalil Mack went home pretty quick didn't he?

Outside of LT, O-Line frequently is found in the middle rounds. And if you think pass rusher is risky, trying to find a LT in this year’s crop is far riskier.

Philosophically, I agree that building an O-Line is the most important factor for this team right now. But in practice, there’s no reason we have to trade one for the other in this draft class/offseason. We can grab a pass rusher in the 1st and still get plenty of O-Line help for Sam.

16 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Now I know some here hate PFF, but they are very well respected around the league. The reason this mock is important is because it shows Murray going in the top 10, along with Haskins which means the teams that need QBS will likely want to trade up to get them. That significantly increases our chances of landing Bosa at 3 or being able to trade back and still get a top 4-5 player at the #7 spot. 

I gotta say as much as I am for trading back to a team that wants a QB, and specifically Jaguars who seem to be the perfect fit, but picking after the Giants again, and they are not taking a QB scares the **** out of me lol.

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

If he’s that good then you trade back.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

insane, those of you who would bypass allen if hes there, because there is no guarantee that he will be there at 3 anyway, Are literally insane. You draft for impact. not need. do we need an offensive lineman yes. but none of the tackles are worth picking at 3. period. yes you can trade down. BUT WHEN YOU PASS ON THE CLOSEST THING IVE SEEN SINCE LAWRENCE TAYLOR was at North Carolina, to move down,Then you are batsh*t crazy

Im telling you right now if he's there and you Pass on him youre gonna regret it for a decade And Every single one of you who suggested passing on him will lie to everyone saying you wanted the Jets to draft him till your old and gray. This kid isnt a one trick pony Like Vern Gholston, he can move around the line and play in space and cover the intermediate zone and if you havent watched video of this kid you should...

as I say Im doubtful he will be there for us because SF has a good staff and they can see what most of you dumb lot cant, but after drafting edge rushers the Last few years, im praying they go in a different direction like Bosa if Kingsbury gets his wish and takes Murray. But Ill say it again. If Allen is there and we Pass on him, we deserve to not win a Super Bowl for another 50 years.

And those of you who disagree. I guarantee you havent watched video of him, because if you had you wouldnt be saying to pass on him. Peter King, of MMQB said Recently that Allen has the most upside of any defensive Player in this draft and he is only going to get Better

so go watch some damn video because youre NUTZ

13 hours ago, jetsjets said:

The top 5 teams in the draft don’t don’t need QBs. I can see teams trading up to grabs a QB or two. Seems to happen ever so often. So I don’t think Bosa isn’t completely out the question for us. 

Question , how much better is Bosa than Allen? Dont follow college football much

Allen played at a lesser school so he didnt get the Build up of a Bosa who also had a Big Brother who was a high pick. Allen can do more on the field and is getting better. Id say both are fine but Allen has more talent, but Bosa is tougher, depends on if you want a tough oriented defense or a Multi-talented one . the game today is more athletic than ever so I go Allen

9 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

I don’t think Jonah Williams is worth a top 3 pick....forcing a pick because of need would be a horrible idea here...

If we stay at 3 and Bosa doesn’t fall it will be Quinnen Willams, Ed Oliver or Greedy Williams 

Why do you think that, because of Gregg Williams System? he's smart enough to know that Josh Allen can only make his scheme better. An elite playmaker makes ANY system better

22 minutes ago, billneftleberg said:

Why do you think that, because of Gregg Williams System? he's smart enough to know that Josh Allen can only make his scheme better. An elite playmaker makes ANY system better

If Gregg Williams moves to a 4-3 like most of us are speculating....Josh Allen wouldn’t be that great of a fit at DE....he seems to be one of those guys that’s a pure 3-4 edge rusher IMO 

25 minutes ago, billneftleberg said:

What's more, the DC shouldn't be making draft picks at all.  Especially one who has proven to leave teams in 2-3 years anyways.  Josh Allen, or anyone we take at 3, would be here FAR longer than Gregg Williams unless that player ends up a massive bust.

Archived